Start by marking “Shadows, Maps, and Other Ancient Magic (The Dowser #4)” as Want to Read:
Shadows, Maps, and Other Ancient Magic (The Dowser #4)

Shadows, Maps, and Other Ancient Magic

(The Dowser #4)

I had new cupcakes to bake, a new treasure to hunt, and a new dragon in town — literally. Who wouldn’t be ecstatic filling their days with chocolate, trinket collecting, and martial arts training?
Yeah … me.
Because no matter how much chocolate I ate, I couldn’t fill the dark pit in my soul. A darkness born from blood alchemy. A darkness that reeked of the black magic I no
Published February 26th 2015 by Old Man in the CrossWalk Productions (first published February 20th 2015)

Meghan Doidge
Feb 09, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote-it
I can't rate it because I wrote it, but I hope readers like it!!
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Review:
I must admit, I was having a hard time concentrating on anything at the time of listening to this audiobook, so that may have affected my enjoyment, but I didn't like it quite as much as the previous three books. Jade's whinging about having gone too long without sex was tiresome. Kett wasn't in this one, and I missed him. The new storyline (the books in the series function kind of like trilogies) didn't grip me as much. That being said, I did still enjoy it. I loved the friendsh
Heather Faville
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Our favorite cupcake baking, chocolate obsessing dowser is at it again in Meghan Ciana Doidge's latest release in the Dowser Series entitled Shadows, Maps and Other Ancient Magic. In this latest installment Jade is sent on a quest by the Dragon Council (it's not actually called the Dragon Council, but in my head that's what I call it) to decipher a map, find the location of the "treasure" and get it. Simple, right? Well, if you've read the other three books in the Dowser Series, things are never ...more
Elizabeth Emily Browne
Okay. So Kett and jade never got together.. But you know what? That's okay because there's a reason for that. That reason is Warner<3

Warner is so sweet and innocent and grumpy. He's adorable. The characters are getting better and better with each book and I find myself wanting to be part of it. I'm so happy that I found this series and I can't wait for the next book!
Diana H.
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t get enough of this! I would love to watch a TV series based on The Dowser books.
It’s ironic because I didn’t particularly like the first book but I kept thinking about it and its magical world and after the second book, well… I became addicted.
Katter
Mar 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a long while since I jumped into a Dowser book. I thought perhaps after taking such a long break from the series that perhaps Jade wouldn’t annoy me as badly as she did when I was breezing through the novels consistently. Turns out I was wrong! She is such a juvenile and petty person. I honestly don’t understand how anyone can like this MC! ARGH!

So the story line begins 10 months after the last book ended. Jade has been artifact hunting for the Guardian Pulou, picking up many seemingly
Lindsey
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"While it is not necessary to read all three series,..."

Stop there.

What a complete lie. I read this book having not read the first Oracle book (largely because I didn't know it existed). Not even halfway through the book, I found myself incredibly confused as characters referred repeatedly to events (making them sound rather significant!!) that I had not read about. I felt like I had accidentally skipped a book and yes, I closed the book and checked! I persevered despite my confusion to discove
Brandy
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creatures
I feel like this book took me forever to finish! But it isn't because I didn't like it. It is actually a pretty good book.

Spoilers

So this Warner dragon shows up on Jade's doorstep, friend or foe? skip forward and he is assigned to help with the task of finding one of the assassins instruments along with following a skin map. That's right the map was tattooed on the back of a dragon then when he died the map was removed...eeeewwww.
Jade still has Kandy to help her out, Thank God, or she would ne
Amanda
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh Jade.. what can I say. This latest installment was fantastic. I loved the addition of Warren to the group and the Indiana Jones references kept me laughing. So much excitement, adventure, a little nail biting, and chocolatey goodness. I think with Jade's addiction for chocolate and continuous sarcasm she and I would be best friends in real life. Meghan made another amazing book. Next one please??
Xenophon Hendrix
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
This one seems like the author was just going through the motions. There is a noticeable drop in quality between this fourth novel and the first three in the series.
Erica Reiman
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excitingly awaiting, and wanting more.

Wow, book four was utterly entertaining. I am excited to read book 5. Meghan does not disappoint in her work. :)
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite installment so far! I love how Jade comes into her powers quickly but still messes up a lot. I also love that the stakes are high and I love all the snark.
Carrie
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Jade, Jade, Jade – you are both enjoyable and infuriating! After Rochelle’s story, I wanted to see who all those visions played out and was on the edge of my seat all the way through!

We join Jade, post-snap (ugh, sorry, I just couldn’t resist, I’m horrible and I hated her sister). She is still holding a super huge grudge against Desmond, but have no fear! Pretty early on in this book, we get a yummy replacement in the form of a dragon, previously stuck in time. That makes our gang of good guys
Kathy
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dowser #4
Shadows, Maps, and Other Ancient Magic (The Dowser #4) by Meghan Ciana Doidge Shadows, Maps, and Other Ancient Magic by Meghan Ciana Doidge is the 4th book in The Dowser series and the 5th book in the Adept Universe. Enjoy!

Read:
June 19-20, 2019 – Audible AudioBook

Recommended chronological reading order for the Adept Universe, which includes the Dowser, Oracle, Reconstructionist and Amplifier series:
1. Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Dowser 1)
2. Trinkets, Treasures, and Other Bloody Magic (Dowser 2)
3. Treasures, Demons, and Other Black Magic (Dow
Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon
I combined reading and listening with this book with kindle whispersync. As far as the story goes, I really enjoyed it. It starts ten months after the end of book 3 and in many ways is the start of a new series arc so in some ways it felt quite fresh whilst also bringing in elements and characters of the previous 3 books. It was an intriguing new adventure and with a new character introduced as a potential love interest for the MC, we got to see a new dynamic in the interactions between the char ...more
Katie
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, magic, dragon, cozy
Okay I'm a bit pissed. I didn't read the Oracle book, because I thought it was another series in same universe and they could be read any any order. See I prefer to read one point of view through entire story/series before switching to another characters head. Unfortunately the author LIED. This book kept bringing up things that happened in other series like a marketing plan. Not to mention the main love interest in Desmond is now gone. Seriously pissed! And not ready to move on. Plus I'm pissed ...more
Karen  Byington
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
Great Series. Started 1st Cupcakes, Trinkets and Other Deadly Magic on December 9th, then went binged all the others and today I start Unleashing Echoes.

1st reason - I've enjoyed this series is I really like the main characters, Jade, Rochelle and Westeria and their friends. I've found for me, if I don't like the people I'm reading about I don't enjoy the story. Her characters are complex with flaws but they care and they are trying to do what's right, which is not always easy.

Plus each Main c
Krystyna
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indiana Jones she isn't

Her treasure seeking is again required. Although now it is to find a deadly killing instrument. Along with a sentinel that has awoken from hundreds of years asleep and Kandy. Their only clue is a map that seems out of focus, magically so, and tattooed onto human skin. They need to decipher the map before the shadow demons try to take it. Sorcerers, a lighthouse that seems stripped of magic, traps, magical leeches and a killer (who although looking as if they were 4 years
Kat
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short read! For some reason I kept starting it and never finishing, but this whole book felt action-packed from the beginning. I missed Kett. I’m glad we got to see more of the friendship dynamic between Jade and Kandy. Jade seemed a bit complainy in this book and constantly talking about how her designer clothes were ruined and her lack of relationship. I’ll be continuing on with the series for sure.
Amanda
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I usually start to lose interest within the 3rd/4th book of longer series. It starts to drag or the characters change completely just for drama and I'm not a fan.

But Meghan Doidge's Dowser serious has kept me at the edge of my seat, even at the end of book 4.

I'm hopelessly obsessed with this series. And it's characters.
Sherri Anderson
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these books

I rarely buy books over a couple dollars. I buy these. Love the story line. Each book brings same (and some new) characters and the adventures are outstanding. This author has an excellent mind and even better imagination.
Diane Worthen
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More demons & dragons

Jade is up to her curls in trouble again. With Kandy right beside her! Only now she has a new guardian as well. Wait til you see what happens to them in this book!
Jennifer Scully
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is complex and fascinating- adventure in a cup!

I am fascinated by the dynamic and entertaining relationships The main character has with everyone in this series! Each is unique and sometimes quirky, but together they make for a great read!
Barbara Dunbar
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shadows, Maps, and Other Ancient Magic

Another fabulous Dowser book which causes eyestrain and sleepless nights and enjoyment. I love the delightful wit and endless action and loyalty engendered by Jade and her bff's.
Nicole
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Meh... not as interesting as the previous ones. Felt like a filler. And the dynamics/chemistry between Jade and her new love interest are to say the least boring. Not remotely close to how it was with Desmond.
Cari Keck
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely a unique book. I loved how badass s
Jade is and the way magic is sweet. Of course love all the chocolate in this too. I probably will pick some more up at the library some time! Would rather read a physical than try and listen again though.
Evonne
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fun Dowser book

The Dowser series is just a fun addictive read. The cupcakes and the shoe obsession border on quirky cheesy, but make the stories more relatable. I am in love with all these characters and want to keep their story going.
Jackie Bach
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I really liked this story and the storylines in it! I can’t wait to see what happens with all the new characters!
Deonna
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You'll want to read everything this author writes! Love these characters!!
Suzy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
So far I liked the first Dowser trilogy better than the beginning of this one...but looking forward to the next one still.
Also, do want Black Forest pancakes!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• No Sooner Met (October Daye, #6.2)
  • The Alpha's Return (Werewolves of Boulder Junction #1)
  • Blightmare (The Marnie Baranuik Files #5)
  • Brush With Death (Sadie Salt, #1)
  • Killing Land (Rune Alexander, #8)
  • Corrigan Politics (Corrigan, #4)
  • Of Flame and Promise (Weird Girls, #6, Flame #0.5)
  • Turn (The Kresova Vampire Harems: Aurora #3)
  • Blood Cure
  • Magic and Mischief
  • Invisible Magic (Alex Noziak #1)
  • ノラガミ 19 (Noragami: Stray God, #19)
  • Save the Last Vamp for Me (Discord Jones #3)
  • Total Eclipse of The Hunt (The Happily Everlasting Series, #5)
  • ALEC (She-Shifters of Hell's Corner, #1)
Meghan Ciana Doidge is an award-winning writer based out of Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada. She has a penchant for bloody love stories, superheroes, and the supernatural. She also has a thing for chocolate, potatoes, and cashmere yarn.

Novels (in order of release): After The Virus, Spirit Binder, Time Walker, Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Dowser 1), Trinkets, Treasures,

The Dowser (9 books)
  • Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (The Dowser #1)
  • Trinkets, Treasures, and Other Bloody Magic (The Dowser #2)
  • Treasures, Demons, and Other Black Magic (The Dowser #3)
  • Maps, Artifacts, and other Arcane Magic (The Dowser #5)
  • Artifacts, Dragons, and Other Lethal Magic (The Dowser #6)
  • Champagne, Misfits, and Other Shady Magic (The Dowser, #7)
  • Misfits, Gemstones, and Other Shattered Magic (The Dowser, #8)
  • Gemstones, Elves, and Other Insidious Magic (Dowser Book 9)
“It was utterly egotistical of me to take the blame for everything bad that ever happened around me. I wasn’t a god. I wasn’t the devil or some minion of evil.” 2 likes
“I’m not attracted to grumpy older men. Yeah, I’d just keep telling myself that.” 2 likes