Start by marking “Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook” as Want to Read:
Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook

Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  497 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook is a book for the over-extended office worker whose workday is out of control. It shows how to regain command of an over-committed workday and an overflowing, unmanaged e-mail in box. It does this by teaching the author's eight best practices of time, task, and e-mail management, and showing how to implement these in Microsoft ...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 398 pages
Published March 1st 2008 by New Academy Publishing (first published October 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook

David
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I know it is hard to believe.

I know it sounds ... well just creepy that I'd say it, but ...

This book has actually changed my life.

If you:
* use Outlook for your email
* get inundated with actionable items daily in your inbox
* have that never ending list of "to do" items playing through your mind like the credits of a full length action thriller that was filled in ten countries with a mention of every single person that even thought about helping in the production of it

Then this book is
Erin
I purchased this book when my company upgraded to Outlook 2010 and all my previous settings were lost. I love Linenberger's approach and configuring the system is easy.

Having already bought into the system, I would rather have purchased a quick short list of configurations rather than having to work through the whole book again. Additionally, would be easier if he broke it into sections for 2010, 2007, 2003 and Mac 2011 separately (e.g. they each have their own sction) rather than smashing them
Henry
i took the 4 hour class, the book is mostly that class (with some more information). i have been using this system for a month and I would't go back. inbox zero means nothing to me (it is a great thing to other people), but a todo list that works is revolutinary!

the biggest change from every other system is this one acknowledges that we have more on our todo list than time to do things. It allows the less important to be put off: maybe done if you feel like it latter, maybe deleted if you find i
Vivien Keegan
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an extremely helpful guide for making the desktop version of Outlook Tasks usable. If you do a lot of task management on a mobile device, I think you are better off setting up the system on another app with similar ability to filter by task priority & start date. Linenberger has another book that is not Outlook specific, but I think this one is better at showing you how to apply his ideas within a task management app. The only thing I don't find all that helpful about his system is t ...more
Matthew Hodge
His system for getting through tasks is immensely helpful - as well as being a great guide on how to get the maximum juice out of Microsoft Outlook.

However, the book is 400+ pages. So I'm guessing that if you're feeling overwhelmed enough by work to want to read something like this, then you might also be feeling too overwhelmed to read a book this size.

Still, it helped get things a lot clearer in my head!
Anna Hiller
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re not bothered by blatant self-promotion, this book is great. I’ve implemented this system at work and my productivity has improved. Probably a good investment if you use Outlook and want to make the most of it.
Ted Gurley
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly focused on tasks.
Lotzastitches
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This system is helping me to tame the Outlook dragon!

Lorna
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, non-fiction
Finally, Outlook Tasks makes sense!
Robert
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The one thing that really stands out about this books is that it is realistic and practical. It recognizes things like most workers don't have the authority to just delete tasks, that you do have more on your to-do list than you actually can do, and due dates aren't stable, predictable or reliable. The fact that it uses Outlook is tied up with this mindset, as most people have Outlook at the office, and need a system that easily ties in with e-mails. So far I've just been applying the basic prin ...more
Erin
I felt I could better utilize my Outlook system at work, was recommended this book through a colleague on Yammer. I gave it a shot and really liked a lot of the principles. The book is detailed in the setting up of Outlook to the author's specs and also has an appropriate amount of background information to go with it. It synchronizes nicely with Getting Things Done by David Allen. It's nicely laid out so it is easy to find what you are looking for and skip what you don't want or doesn't apply t ...more
Conrad Zero
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
The title should tell you that this is a very niche book, but it may not prepare you for the very very specific system inside. For those who live in outlook, Michael Linenberger provides a highly-structured system for managing the neverending flood of incoming tasks disguised as emails. Once set up, the system auto-focuses on items that you need to do today specifically and this week in general, while those items that are 'over the near horizon' get hidden from the list. But don't worry, they ar ...more
Gene
Apr 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tk, william
Shelves: productivity, good
I am a huge fan of Getting Things Done, but often have problems with runaway task lists. Have you ever been overwhelmed with TODO lists that are so long, you start keeping another TODO list that contains your really urgent stuff?

This phenomenon is well documented in Dwayne's blog post here: http://www.genuinecuriosity.com/genui...

This book remedies this with some surprisingly small changes to the Outlook task lists, and allows you to quickly empty your inbox, but also keep your tasks to a small
B.D. Crowell
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, howto
This book was great! I've been recommending it to people I work with. Using his techniques, I'm missing fewer emails, my inbox is consistently empty (or at least low) at the end of the day, and I'm saving a lot of time that I previously wasted searching through my inbox looking for emails that needed action, if I even remembered them. The use of Outlook tasks has made me much more productive. I don't stress about email. I sometimes stress about the number of tasks I have when that number grows l ...more
Joel Ungar
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
One Saturday night we were at Borders while waiting to pick up our daughter from a Bar Mitzvah party. About 10:00 pm I was in the technology section, found this book and sat down to browse through it. About 30 minutes later I owned it.

I'm not going to say I'm in a condition of Total Workday Control, but the book has changed how I use Microsoft Outlook. My inbox currently has one email in it. Read it, reply to it, set a follow up task, file or delete. Makes a lot of sense.

The tips on how to turn
Stephanie
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
I am not one to say "this book changed my life" but seriously - this one has. I've been using the system for about 3 weeks now, still adding layers and maturing my system, but the amount of stress this system has saved me is incredible. It's probably not for everyone - you have to be willing to get a bit geeky with Outlook. But I can't speak highly enough of how amazing this has been at helping me manage my inbox and my workflow.
Kier O'Neil
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is ideal for anyone that receives 75+ emails per day with tasks to complete embedded in those emails. You must also use MS Outlook, preferably the most recent version.
This book is actually a methodology for managing tasks and emails and includes how to configure Outlook to be most productive.
Nothing will fall between the cracks any more and I would say that my personal productivity has doubled because of this book.
Highly recommend to managers in the IT world.
Josh Tatum
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever tried using Outlook's tasks to manage your to-do list but have found yourself overwhelmed with so many great ideas and too little time—in part because you spend too much managing your tasks—this is the book for you. I thought had a decent system of managing tasks and e-mail but just needed some tweaking. Then I read this book. It has step-by-step guides to implement an effective and unique system that understands how busy professionals deal with day-to-day work life.
David Steigerwald
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book shows a workable way to manage work using Outlook which I implemented as part of a web class Linenberger gave. Two weeks in and I am loving it, but we'll see how long it actually works. My inbox is empty and I think I was getting measurably more done each day, but most of all I was having more fun! I love clicking off those tasks!
Vanessa
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a total nerd for liking to read about a system to control a system. But with a few of my own tweaks this MYN system is giving me back a sense of control of my life and things I must do. I've just implemented this on my personal/family/side businesses and I am feeling so much less anxious overall.
Tyshawn Knight
I read this book and found that it was not a user friendly book for someone who was looking to learn how to use Outlook 2010. It is really a book that is geared towards the person that wants to organize their work life. If you want to learn how to organize your work life get this book. However, if you want to learn the Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010 software this is not the book for you.
Mark
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding email management system - better than Getting things done by David Allen
Jorge
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't speak highly enough about this book! This is actually my 2nd time reading it. It is truly the book that has had the most influence in my life when it comes to organizing all that I need to get done. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a lot of things to do. Absolutely fabulous!
Sonya Wieler
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
this is just what i needed...in just one week i am more relaxed when i get home because already my tasks are so much more under control... borrowed the book from a friend and now will be buying the third edition so i can replace the 100+sticky notes with notations and highlights (and sticky notes)
Mary
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite detailed and involved system of controlling email workflow, tasks, projects, etc. I'm using the principles and have emptied my inbox completely for this first time since I started using email! I'll see if I can keep up with they system during 2010.
Ann
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really got me organized at work.
Lech
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps a whole book might be too much, but I find this system to be among the best. Especially useful for you MS Outlook users out there, but not only.
Denis Mironochev
Very useful book if you want to manage your tasks in Outlook. But Author could write this book much shorter.
Justin Johnson
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top Notch System

Have been drowning in emails forever. Finally found a system that doesn't let to dos turn into major forest fires that just take me more time later.
Skye
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Has some good ideas for using Outlook more effectively.
Michael Linenberger is the reigning expert on managing e-mail and tasks using Outlook or other software (and even paper-based tools). The author of five best-selling productivity books, his newest Outlook book is Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook 4th Ed--that series has been the #1 best-selling book on Microsoft Outlook for six years running. It reveals how to apply best practices of t ...more
More about Michael Linenberger