Start by marking “Shadows Fall” as Want to Read:
Shadows Fall

Shadows Fall

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  257 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
For him, the whole world is a graveyard...

A gift—or curse—gives Titus McGinty the unwanted ability to talk to ghosts. When he starts seeing the same few apparitions repeatedly, appearing with similar gruesome injuries, he begins to wonder what they want from him.

Detective Charlie Hale has a serial killer on his hands. On the loose for weeks, the Queen City Slayer has left
Published June 10th 2015 by Wilde City Press

Jewel
ARC of Shadows Fall provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This review has been cross-posted at Reviews by Jessewave.

4.5 Stars

Shadows Fall is the first book by J.K. Hogan that I've read - and I loved it! This is my kind of paranormal story. We've got 2 hot men (one of whom is a cop), some mystery involving ghosts, some romance, some smokin' hot sexy times... Yeah, sign me up! And Shadows Fall did not disappoint.

Titus McGinty is a Gypsy and he sees dead people. All around him
Ele
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal

Wow, I read this book months ago but forgot to rate. I don't remember all the details, but I did love it. At some point I was scared shitless because ghosts, but the paranormal aspect was just right.

I think I 've become a fan of this author, for the complex but fleshed out characters, the amazing chemistry between the MCs and the interesting storylines.

Please read Jewel's review for more.
Meep
This fic didn't work for me. The premise really appealed and I was excited to read it, the result was disappointing and frustrating - therefore this could get bitchy, leave now if allergic!
It got to the point of reading bits aloud to my forbearing hubby and asking him why WHY the characters would be so stupid. He was almost tempted to read it and offered a second-hand reader rating of -1*.

There are so many inconsistencies, the characterisation doesn't make sense meaning they never seemed real to
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I wanted to like this more than I did, but I figured out who the killer was halfway through and felt the characters were all a bit dense not figuring it out sooner. Hogan's writing has the occasional hiccup, as well;

"Hester nodded as if it were all part of the course,"

I think she maybe meant 'par for the course'. Little issues like that pop up here and there in Hogan's books. Ultimately, it was a fun book to read while I was in it, even if it was a bit too long, but it's not a book I'd bother
Mindy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
description
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

4.5 Stars

This is my first J K Hogan book and will certainly not be my last. From page 1 Titus and his odd group of friends pulled me into a fascinating story. I read a lot of paranormal but it usually involves shifters so the ghosts were also a new thing for me.

Poor Titus is a mass of contradictions. All he wants is a peaceful life but every time he goes outside he is followed by ghosts, or mule as he knows them. His solution to silencing their voices in his head
Brandon Witt
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved every minute of Shadows Fall. It got swept up in the writing, the characters, the supernatural, and the mystery. Great cast of characters and setting. Even had me looking over my shoulder when I read it at night a couple of times. LOVED it!!!!!
Arch Bala
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this one a rating of 3.5 stars. I loved Titus and Charlie together but find them lacking that extra oopmh factor when it comes to their chemistry - I feel like the author should have explored that area more.

The one who turned out to be the culprit was conspicuous but NOWHERE near shocking. I’d love for the next book in the series (?) to explore more about the romany, charlie’s background, titus’ powers, the lovely riot and even the a-hole(y) partner of Charlie, Sonny.

Read my full re
Keveen
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

This was a really good book! It kind of reminded me of PsyCop series and The Plumber's Mate series in a way. And that was very good but I loved both of those series. Anyway, this got me so hooked that it lifted my mood after the book I read before this. The story itself was well rounded. I loved the composition of it. The setting, the plot, the characters, and everything else.

The story had a dual POV. Titus had a first person POV while Charlie had his in third person. I was not used t
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: Blog Tour, eARC Review, Excerpt & #Giveaway: Shadows Fall by J.K. Hogan

Review by: multitaskingmomma
My Rating: (5 of 5 Stars) 5
(The Multiplier Rating Takes Effect)

Gold!

It seems like a lifetime since I got so engrossed in a story. It's been a while since I got to enjoy a story to the extent I caved and gave this the multiplier rating. This is better than good. This was fan-freaking-tasy-tastic!

I love supernatural stories especially when written well. I love mysteries when d
Yvonne
Reviewed for Hearts on Fire,

With its mix of mystery and romance and mediums and ghosts this story had a lot of the elements that I enjoyed.

I liked the premise which consisted of a character who’s haunted by the fact that he can see dead people but not necessarily control how and when they appear.

Titus McGinty is a coffee shop owner living in North Carolina. He’s a Romany which is a type of gypsy and he was born with the paranormal ability to see ghosts. However his family had kicked him out wh
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

*copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by author/publisher via Pride Promotions in exchange for an honest review*

Detective Charlie Hale is investigating a string of murders, that he thinks have been committed by a serial killer. He meets Titus when he visits the coffee shop Titus owns. Titus is a chovihano, he sees the dead. Outcast from his family, of gypsy's at 17, when it was discovered he was gay, he has never learned how to properly use or control his abilities. He tries to ignore the spirits,
Suzy
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was very different that the other JK Hogan books I've read before but it was really good. Fast paced murder mystery with a little paranormal thrown in.

Titus and Charlie worked well as a couple and I loved how their relationship progressed - Charlie was in the closet but mainly due to being a cop in the south, he was out to himself and his family but had never acted on being gay and I found Titus' gypsy background fascinating. Some of the Roma terms and descriptions were confusing and I had
QUEERcentric Books
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Jay Chase for QUEERcentric Books

Shadows Fall by J.K. Hogan is a delightful but intense supernatural experience.

The book features an extremely hot but in-the-closet police detective named Charlie Hale and Titus McGinty, an out and proud coffee shop owner. These two join forces to solve the case of the Queen City Slayer, but at what cost?

Charlie frequents Uptown Java because the owner has caught his eye. However, he is too afraid to act upon his attraction so he pretends to work on the
V
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
What I love the most, the Gory part of the plot, how the murders were committed, the creepy ghosts, the lovely couple.
In general, it was actually a pretty good book.
The only reason why I didn't rated 5 stars, it was because the killer was way too easy to figure out, I knew too soon who was the serial killer and that it's one of the things I look forward to find out in this kind of stories.
I'm sure it will be a sequel because some issues were left unsolved, looking forward to read more about thi
Candice
Titus and Charlie...
I love it gif photo: iloveyou.gif

This book was everything! Loved every single bit of it. I want more!
Brown Eyed Girl ~Suzanne~
Please, please tell me there will be another book with Titus and Charlie!!!! I adored them and I love a good mystery!
Mandi
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun read! I really enjoyed this one. I'm hoping the author continues with the series. :)
Wende
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy

This book was all kinds of creepy. The ghost were scary and yet heartbreaking. The mystery was okay. I did know who the killer was as soon as he showed up which was disappointing. I liked the action as it got started. Overall a good book.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Titus McGinty is a natural-born chovihano, medium, witch, Shaman—a Romany who has the gift of seeing dead people everywhere he looks. To most people that may sound intriguing, but to Titus it’s a curse. Spirts don’t just hover, they reach out to him, speaking, calling or making eerie noises. Together, at any given moment, the cacophony is enough to drive him crazy, so he never leaves his
Abdul
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I read the blurb I was like OMG this is totally like my favorite TV Shows. For example: Ghost Whisperer. I adored that show and I still watch it sometimes on Netflix and I have watched it so many times that I know some of the lines now lol.

Anyways back to the review, when the book started I laughed at the beginning because that was totally what all the people who can see ghost say. Nothing exciting happens till you get to 50% of the book. There is a kind of flirtation between the protagoni
Claudia
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an unexpected good Read. This author is new to me and the writing style was interesting. It took some Time to get into that as one MC is written in first Person pov and the Second in third person POV

The Story was good although I suspected the murderer early on. Nevertheless it was the right combination of suspense, Mystery and romance (which was hot)
The fifth star is missing due to some open questions and some Minor details.

I really hope that we get more from Titus and Charlie. I enjoye
Inked Reads
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
FourandHalfStars
I really enjoyed this story. It was a pleasant surprise, because I find that I typically shy away from reading supernatural stories. However, I loved this one.

Titus is such a gentle soul. His character is the caretaker of his friends, the fierce protector of his business and the one who helps those who cannot speak, be heard. I also really loved his grandma. I thought she added to the depth of Titus in a way that had she not been in the story - we would have lost a lot of his bac
El
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5/5

* I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. *

This was a really fun read from start to finish, although it definitely has its ups and downs.

Titus' ability to see and speak with ghosts is something that he's never accepted, and he goes out of his way to avoid the spirits trying to speak with him. But when the ghosts become more insistent, he realizes that they're all victims of the same killer. On the 'normal' side of the case is Detective Charl
Andrea Goodell
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So when I first saw that this novel was around three and thirty pages I was nervous, I haven’t read many ghost supernatural books and the one’s I have left me wanting….

But before I knew it the first 100 pages were down and I was eager for the rest.

The story is a wonderful mix of modern tale of two guys meeting, becoming friends and then more. One openly gay but having huge restrictions on his life because of his special abilities. The other, also gay but only out to his family for the normal rea
Joyfully Jay
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crissy
A Joyfully Jay review.

I love this author. Have since I fell for the Coming About series. This book is nothing like those, yet it’s wonderful in its own right.

Here’s what I loved so much about this one.

The ghost story. A real, honest-to-gods ghost story with spirits that haunt and scare the crap out of you and have horrible ends to their lives. At times it’s both creepy and terrifying—and completely wonderful.
The mystery. In this book, we have a homicide detective, a gifted man (who ha
Monika

4.5 Stars

Review also posted on http://www.wodfreview.com

Shadows Fall is a supernatural story with a very hot, in the closet police detective, Charlie Hale and an out and proud Coffee shop owner named Titus McGinty, oh and Titus sees dead people. There’s a serial killer on the loose and Charlie is determined to catch him with Titus’s help. Unfortunately for Titus in order to help Charlie he’s going to have to let his guard down and allow the victims to talk to him. He asks his gypsy grandmother t
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this police procedural with a supernatural twist. The seemingly innocuous owner of a coffee shop, Titus’ gypsy heritage has given him the ability to see dead people. As Titus starts to fall for Charlie, a handsome cop and regular patron, he is able to use his supernatural abilities to aid Charlie’s hunt for a serial killer.

This story has all the quirky Southern charm of the early Charlaine Harris stories, and Titus has a good deal in common with Harris’ Harper Connolly. Hogan’s
Avid Reader
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shadow Falls: JK Hogan
M/M Supernatural, mystery
I was given this book for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.

• A Tooth For a Fang (Leader Murders #1)
  • Kitto (Tyack & Frayne, #4)
  • The Best Corpse for the Job (Lindenshaw Mysteries, #1)
  • Objects in the Rearview Mirror (Memoirs of the Human Wraiths #2)
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • Dead in L.A. (L.A. Paranormal, #1-2)
  • SPECTR: The Complete First Series (Spectr, #1-6)
  • Westford Hall
  • Blood Howl (Sanguis Noctis, #1)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • Murder on the Mountain
  • Enigma (Russ Morgan Mystery #1)
  • Slasherazzi
  • Sunset Lake
  • High Concept
  • Liquid Glass
  • Jurassic Heart
  • The Secret of Talmor Manor
J.K. Hogan has been telling stories for as long as she can remember, beginning with writing cast lists and storylines for her toys growing up. When she finally decided to put pen to paper, magic happened. She is greatly inspired by all kinds of music and often creates a “soundtrack” for her stories as she writes them. J.K. is hoping to one day have a little something for everyone, so she’s branche ...more
More about J.K. Hogan

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Mr. Paradise
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Sometimes I Lie: A Novel
  • Force of Nature
  • Bonfire
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Monk's Hood (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Before the Fall
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)