Start by marking “The Tenth Man” as Want to Read:
The Tenth Man

The Tenth Man

In a prison in Occupied France one in every ten men is to be shot. The prisoners draw lots among themselves—and for rich lawyer Louis Chavel it seems that his whole life has been leading up to an agonizing and crucial failure of nerve. Graham Greene wrote The Tenth Man in 1944, when he was under a two-year contract to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, and the manuscript lay forgotten i ...more
Paperback, Vintage Classics, 158 pages
Published June 1st 2000 by Vintage (first published 1985)

Orsodimondo
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inglese, thriller
GREENE-LAND

description
Chavel/Hopkins sta tornando al suo studio da avvocato dopo la pausa pranzo e finisce in una retata dei nazisti: portato in carcere, ci resterà per anni, fino alla fine della guerra.

Questo romanzo ha una storia curiosa alle spalle: Greene iniziò a scriverlo nel 1937, ma lo completò solo sette anni più tardi (che non credo proprio abbia passato lavorando solo a questo) quando era sotto contratto con la Metro Goldwyn Mayer. La storia non diventò un film.
Il manoscritto fu abbandonato e d
Fiona MacDonald
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
An unheard of (to me) yet utterly heartbreaking piece of work from Graham Greene. This novel was written in the 1940s and lay forgotten until the 1980s in MGM's archives. What a mistake that was. A poignant and sharply written masterpiece that puts Mr Greene on the map, capable of writing serious literature for anyone who believed his novels were just a bit of light entertainment.
Edward
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Introduction (including film sketches for 'Jim Braddon and the War Criminal' and 'Nobody to Blame')

--The Tenth Man
J. Watson (aka umberto)
Impressed by its reader-friendly fonts and conveniently manageable 158 pages, I decided to read this novel depicting a rich lawyer named Chavel, one of the thirty prisoners guarded by German soldiers in occupied France in World War II, whose life has been saved since, from drawing lots, he is the tenth man doomed to be executed but Janvier, an inmate sick of final-phase tuberculosis, hoping to die rich accepts his offer including his wealth. When the war is over, poor Chavel returns home in whic ...more
Dhanaraj Rajan
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
First Observations:

-This novel was written in 1938 and was published only in 1983. The reason: It was lying in a shelf forgotten.
- This was written for MGM (film studio) and supposed to be made into a film.

Remarks:

- Reading the novel was like watching a film. And this film focuses more on action and plot than on inner workings of the human action/heart. As a film that is to be justified. But in a novel more on the other part would have been better.
- The themes dealt in it are many: Would you tra
BrokenTune
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"He envied Jules: to have been able to remain ‘correct’: to have saved his self-respect by small doses of rudeness or inattention. But for him— to have remained correct would have meant death."

The Tenth Man is not just a story but a moral experiment: A group of prisoners of war are told that as punishment for the killing of occupying forces by the local resistance movement, one in ten prisoners would be executed. It is up to the prisoners to draw lots.

From this Greene develops a tale of moral co
Elina
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ωραίο στόρυ και καλή πλοκή! Μπορεί να φαίνεται λίγο παλιακό, αλλά τελικά μου άρεσε πολύ ο τρόπος που παρουσίαζε αυτό που τελικά ήθελε να μας μεταφέρει ο συγγραφέας. Ο δόλος, η δειλία, οι οικογενειακοί δεσμοί και η αγάπη, είναι τα βασικά θέματα που πραγματεύεται μέσα από τους ήρωες του. Νομίζω έχει γυριστεί και ταινία και αν ισχύει αυτό, σίγουρα θα ήθελα να τη δω.
A. Dawes
This story begins in a WW2 prisoner-of-war camp. Of the thirty prisoners, three must die and the prisoners draw lots to decide. Wealthy Chavel though, when his name is drawn, does not have the nerve to follow through and offers his lands and money to somebody who'll take his place. A man offers to die for him so that his sister and mother may live better lives.

Once out though, Chavel is challenged by the dead man's sister, ,who'd rather her brother alive than live in monetary prosperity.

It sou
Tony
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greene, Graham. THE TENTH MAN. (1985; US-1998). ****. I thought I had read all of Greene’s books until I stumbled on this one. I don’t feel bad, however, because in a new introduction by the author, he admits that he had forgotten about it himself. It is a short novel that he had written and submitted to an MGM producer as a basis for a portential film script when he was on contract with them in 1944. Wartime and the subsequent release of several other of his novels slowly clouded his memory of ...more
Melanti
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Great novella-length exploration of cowardice and guilt.

After reading his The Third Man, which was also written to be the basis of a movie, I was a bit worried about this book.

However, while that book really does feel like a unpolished outline, this particular book just feels like a Graham Greene novel. There's a couple of tidbits, plot points, and characters that could be fleshed out a tiny bit more, but overall, the novella great as-is.
Martin
So, yeah. This really thin book consists of:

(1) A 24-page introduction by the author in which he gives us 2 ideas for stories (one of them being his original pitch/outline - thoroughly fleshed out - which became Our Man In Havana)*. Blatant padding to help justify this slim book's ludicrous retail price.

(2) The main attraction, the main event: The Tenth Man, a story told in about 120 pages of large-ish print font. Not Graham Greene's finest work, but still very readable. One must be happy that
Shane
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this Greene novel after about a gap of fifteen years from the last one of his that I read. I have to say, Graham Greene has not lost his magic on me - the man's ability to twist and convolute his plot, mainly in the heads of his characters, is extraordinary. And to think that this novel was buried in the archives at a major film studio and nearly forgotten!
Virginia
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, the writing! Such a lovely aesthetic experience, this novella.
As a morality tale, it taught without preaching. We can easily identify with the progatonist's yearning to survive but along with him come to recognize that survival without scruples is a barren thing.
Leah
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary
A tiny book, so short and concise that it was over before I knew it.

It's one of Greene's classic human dramas, set in a very simple scenario, and almost reads like a film treatment, which apparently he thought it was. When he was told about its being found in the MGM vaults in 1983, all he remembered was writing a few pages to pitch to a director, but in fact it was a complete short novel, published as is.

I think this may have contributed to my reaction to it: I liked it, and the characters we
Steve Petherbridge
This is up to the usual standard of Graham Greene. It is probably an accidental novel, having been discovered by MGM in their vast archives, written by Greene when under contract as a scriptwriter. It is published with the respect that Greene's stature warrants. He had forgotten about it and didn't think that it constituted a novel, because, of probable format and perceived insufficient length. How wrong he was! It is a great read and the accompanying notes provided, some by Greene himself, expl ...more
Matt
Jun 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
A long-lost movie treatment published decades after it was written. The author did not recall writing it when the manuscript surfaced from a movie studio's archives, allowing him to say until the end of his days that he'd forgotten better books than X (say, Stuart O'Nan) would ever write.

The introduction might be the best part--Greene compares the book to (and reprints) two other idea-sketches from the same period he unearthed in his own archives after being alerted to the existence of 'The 10th
Tweedledum
A plot inspired by the craziness that war imposes on ordinary citizens. Greene forgot he had written this book and had given the rights to MGM to boot when making The Third Man. Someone kindly contacted him when it was about to be published and invited him to write a forward. Greene rewards the reader with two further detailed plots of books he never developed!

The Tenth Man would make a great film but is rather overlooked in the cannon of great Greene novels. I found it quick to read and a haun
Maria Roxana
”Moartea nu-i un eveniment individual: odată cu răsuflarea care părăsește trupul, nu se sfărșește totul-un murmur, un trosnet, scârțâitul unei scânduri, bolboroseala apei într-un lighean. Moartea e ca o opreție făcută urgent, fără concursul unor asistenți, sau mai degrabă seamănă cu o naștere. Te aștepți să auzi dintr-o clipă în alta scâncetul nou-născutului, dar în cele din urmă auzi doar tăcerea.”
Pollo
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A diferencia de su otra obra de título parecido (El tercer hombre) está no solo tiene siete humanos extra, sino montones más de emoción y entretenimiento. Diez hombres, un sorteo: el elegido muere. Y eso sólo es el primer capítulo, lo más emocionante viene después. Mantiene la tensión bastante. Me sorprende que no tenga película.
Ahmad Sharabiani
عنوان: مرد دهم؛ نویسنده: گراهام گرین؛ مترجم: مهران توکلی؛ نشر فرزان روز
Darwin8u
Jun 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Good solid early Greene. Not top shelf for Greene, but even his minor, rough pieces are impressive.
Jill
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Great book, short, fast paced and keeps you on the edge. Even though it's short it's amazing how full and fleshed out the book is.
Zafir Zafirov
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great, little novel!
I really liked Green’s writing style, and I am pretty sure I will read more of his works.
The story Is quite interesting, and has some suspense In it, although It could be predictable at some times. I don’t know why but I kind of had a strange The Count of Monte Cristo vibe. I don’t know, could be just me, but It reminds me of this story In some way.
All In all, it is a good read, written just fine, with interesting characters and premise, and It also touches on some e
Jo Jenner
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering this book is only 150 pages long there is plenty crammed in. It starts in a prisoner of war camp where when the prisoners have to decide who will be shot at dawn they draw lots. Chavel looses but being a wealthy man sells his ticket to Janvier.
The second part shows Chavel going back to the house he gave up and where Janvier's sister and mother now live.
Posing as a traveller lost after the war he moves in but then struggle when someone pretending to be him turns up.
This is a wonderfu
Artur
Short but packing a punch, The Tenth Man had so much I love: big questions of morality, doubles and shifting identity, conmen, love that starts out as romantic and becomes something else entirely (view spoiler). It was a perfect read when I needed a good comfort book.
José Manuel
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novela que responde a la trayectoria clásica de Greene. Aun sin la longitud ni la profundidad de sus obras cimeras, la impronta de su estilo es inconfundible.
La obra transcurre en la Francia del final de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, durante la ocupación alemana y un tiempo después de la victoria; la fractura social que ha producido el colaboracionismo con el régimen nazi se evidencia en el ambiente opresivo de posguerra, de tristeza, miseria, rencor y ajuste de cuentas.
El planteamiento ético, una
Robert
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tenth Man is a marvelous short novel by Graham Greene written in the late 30s, early 40s, caught up in a movie deal, forgotten, and then, to Greene’s chagrin, rediscovered in the 1980s—a text he liked better than the unrelated Third Man—as the possession of someone else. But it made its way into print and Greene died rich and it’s a splendid, compact, penetrating tale…and we have it—or it can be found in used bookstores—so all is well.

The idea is that 10 Frenchmen are held captive by Germans
Fiona
This book is 150 pages long, and 30 of those are introduction (and have a whole different story in them - I love when writers do that), but it took me almost exactly a week to read and I loved it. I wanted to string out every chapter, savour every word, and just bask in the fact that Graham Greene's way with storytelling just blows me away.

It's not even the poetry of the words, although they feel like the sort of thing you want to read out loud. It's the deftness of description. It's the things
Dessislava
3.5 оценка

На тероия книгата звучи по-добре, отколкото се оказва на практика. Историята е чудесна, но въпреки обема си, романът остава тромав, а няма много неща, които да ти правят компания по време на бавния път към края.
Alexandra Rivers
One of his best!
  • Down There on a Visit
  • Once There Was a War
  • Collected Short Stories: Volume 3 (Collected Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham, #3)
  • Middlemarch/Silas Marner/Amos Barton
  • Summer's Lease
  • Black Mischief
  • Cross of Iron
  • War Without Mercy: Race and Power in the Pacific War
Henry Graham Greene, OM, CH was an English novelist, short story writer, playwright, screenplay writer, travel writer and critic whose works explore the ambivalent moral and political issues of the modern world. Greene combined serious literary acclaim with wide popularity.

Although Greene objected strongly to being described as a “Catholic novelist” rather than as a “novelist who happened to be Ca
“All the emotions have something in common. People are quite aware of the sorrow there always is in lust, but they are not so aware of the lust there is in sorrow.” 27 likes
“There is an old legend that somewhere in the world every man has his double.” 8 likes