Start by marking “Ry's Git Tutorial” as Want to Read:
Ry's Git Tutorial

Ry's Git Tutorial

Git is a free version control system known for its speed, reliability, and non-linear development model. Its popularity among open-source developers makes Git a necessary tool for professional programmers, but it can also do wonders for your personal coding workflow. You’ll be able to experiment with new ideas, radically refactor existing code, and efficiently share change

Published November 30th 2014 by RyPress

To ask other readers questions about Ry's Git Tutorial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ry's Git Tutorial

Thomas Mailund
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really nice tutorial

His book gives a very nice overview of typical use of git and some hints at more complex features. All command line based so can be used by anyone.
Lom
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very good book for understanding most of the git functionality and usage.
Olof J Edlund
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Compact and clear

I'm an intermediate skill git user and found that this book was great for me. I knew most of the concepts in most of the chapters but the writing was compact and clear enough that I read those chapters anyway and I found that it plugged gaps I had in my understanding of how git works.
Антон Санков
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A small book, explaining the basic concepts of Git VCS. Although I've been using Git for nearly two years, and consider myself a person, who's not afraid to get its hands dirty, it was a really useful read for me. I would recommend it to anyone, who's into programming, and wants to do any kind of software development. Read it early, so you won't have to learn this lessons the hard way.
David
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Skimmed it

Didn’t read it, just skimmed it to get another perspective, particularly on workflow. This looks like it is a very good tutorial. It has good beginner info and some more intermediate info as well.
Liquorice
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A step by step guide useful and convenient.
Andrew
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
This book helps.
John
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best place to start your git education.
Very easy to follow and you will learn a lot if you do all the exercises!!
Yury Jefse
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Explica bem sobre o git e seus conceitos. Indicado pra quem conhece um pouco ou nada. E o bom é que o e-book está de graça na Amazon. 😊
David Makepeace
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very useful.
Cheng Nie
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very nice introduction to git.
Qapsl0ck
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Easy introduction into working with Git. Well written, very readable.
Nitin Pai
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a git learner. This book gives a very good insight for beginners to start git step by step
Tuan Truong
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best Git book for beginner
Jorge
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book, and starter point to know the best CVS.
Gary
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perfect tutorial. Model tutorial.
Venkatesh-Prasad
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Since this is a free Kindle book, I started reading it with low expectations. However, at the end, despite my limited experience with git, I learned quite a bit from the book; it was rather informative. The book does a good job of describing the basic features of git and how to use them in both centralized and distributed workflows. The greatest feature of the book is the use of marble graphs (as shown on the cover of the book) to illustrate the current status of the local workspace and the repo ...more
Andre Wemans
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had a little experience with git working with Eclipse but it was much guessing and experimentation till getting the pretending result, This Ryan Hodson guide me step by step to the working and git concepts making it clear how git works and to some degree how it should be used. I strongly recommend it to anyone starting to use git.
Caleb Kruger
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why didn't they teach me in school

Being through numerous computer science classes at 3 different universities this was never taught adequately in my opinion and should be one of the very first things a freshman learns, before any real programming begins.
Victor
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice and easy book to read, goes through the basics at the start and spent one chapter on the inner workings of git. I've used git for a while now and I can say I've never really wondered how git handles stuff until this book shed the light. I would say it's a book worth gitting.
Sunchao
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good git book!

Well written,easy to understand, very practical. For the example, too much web design. If possible,talk more about collaboration with git please.
Jose  Seco Sanz
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
Short and sweet, with a lot of examples. Doesn't really get much better than this. After reading this book, then you should probably have a lot of practice with it.
Jeffrey Getzin
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
quite good

A light and friendly introduction to Git and its services. Recommended as a refresher for intermediate users like myself, as well as an introduction to brand new users.
David
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Clear explanations that made it all seem simple.

Takes the subject and breaks it down into logical pieces helping you understand it as a whole. Best treatment I've seen.
Shenyu
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people-new-to-git, people-want-to-learn-git-systematically
Shelves: read-in-2016
This ebook can be downloaded from kindle store by free, but this book is definitely more valuable than many paid books.
Fritz Kunze
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Elements of User Onboarding
  • JavaScript and HTML5 Now
  • REST API Design Rulebook
  • The UNIX Hater's Handbook: The Best of UNIX-Haters On-line Mailing Reveals Why UNIX Must Die!
  • Professor Frisby's Mostly Adequate Guide to Functional Programming
  • What is DevOps?
  • Asssembly Language Programming and Organization IBM PC
  • Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“The git reset command moves the checked out snapshot to a new commit, and the HEAD~1 parameter tells it to reset to the commit that occurs immediately before the current HEAD (likewise, HEAD~2 would refer to second commit before HEAD).” 0 likes
“Git” 0 likes