Start by marking “What To Do When It's Your Turn (and it's always your turn)” as Want to Read:
What To Do When It's Your Turn (and it's always your turn)

What To Do When It's Your Turn (and it's always your turn)

Seth Godin has pushed the boundaries again by creating a new book format that reads more like a magazine. The book is in full color and is a collection of short stories and essays that help the reader know "what to do when it's your turn" in life.
Published December 2014 by The Domino Project

To ask other readers questions about What To Do When It's Your Turn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What To Do When It's Your Turn

Start your review of What To Do When It's Your Turn (and it's always your turn)
Tyler Hurst
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"That voice in your head is describing what you're about to do after a different part of your brain has already initiated that action."

"Your body decides, the voice in your brain narrates."

I read that passage once, twice, three times, and then lay the book on my chest and closed my eyes.

Holy shit. Hooooooolllllllllly shit. Is it really that easy? Sure, I always THINK I'm right when responding to others — often, I'm proven true, which is great and flattering and makes me feel useful — but I secon
Abdul
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Incredible potential, but mediocre execution.

To me, a lot of this book was just empty inspiration, like a list of nice sounding quotes that make you feel all great, but don't really end up changing your actions at all. A lot of the things Godin says sound really inspiring, but aren't at all that actionable. I end up with the feeling of "awesome! Now what?"

One thing that really bothered me was the lack of continuity or logical progression between pages and topics. It makes it very hard to want t
Andra
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A few pages into the book and I already wanted to put it down and get to work!

It's amazing how Seth Godin's energy makes you want to start doing whatever it is that you want to do.

This book is a concentrated version of Seth's main take-aways (or teachings, as I'd like to call them). It packs a punch. It makes you want to DO. It inspires you to shift your thinking, to challenge your assumptions, to leave your ego behind, to find pleasure and the ultimate reward in the process of toiling over yo
Jane
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Seth Godin and this latest venture did not disappoint. As always, a good swift kick in the pants for getting busy, creating, sharing and putting yourself out there! I have gifted this to 8 people because I love it so much! Enjoy!
Charlene
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Whether it's tribes or cows or ducks; well he has gone and done it again, only this time, It's my turn. Let's be perfectly clear about that. There is no doubt, Seth says so. He not only is a marketing genius, he has turned this new book into quite a racket or promotion! Buy one and he'll give you another. You can get through this book in a flash, like fast food. Just devour it. Or, like a work of art, fine food or exquisite music, you can savor it. Are you motivated to move, to act, to write, to ...more
John
Dec 31, 2014 added it
The back flap says that Godin "writes about treating people with respect, the changing economy and ideas that spread." This book is that. And I think the respect is not just that shown to others, but also self-respect. As in, how would you live your life if you honored your highest capacities?

pg 35
Great work is the result of seeking out tension, not avoiding it. Great work doesn’t require reassurance, in fact, it avoids it.
Rayna
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I believe this book is quietly building a determination inside of me. A determination to stop holding myself back. I say quietly building because some of the ideas need time to resonate and sink in and some of them already have.

It reads easily, one could almost say too easily but the message that's in there... Woo!
Alex Linschoten
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just what I needed. (At this moment).
Derek Neighbors
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I generally dig Seth Godin, but often feel that his works are just compilations of quotes and ideas re-packaged for easier consumption. I have come to respect that more and more. This book is no different, but it seems more powerful than normal. Specifically, it lends itself by calling for generosity. Seth builds that into the purchasing of the book itself.

I loved Notice, dream, connect, do. We fail to notice because we're busy keeping busy. We fail to dream because dreaming implies that we have
Robin Boomer
Dec 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I like Godin, but I didn't find anything that resonated with me in this book. It is really well put together and looks nice; it reads like a daily affirmations calendar. Full of name dropping and vague anecdotes meant to inspire, however it has very few original ideas or even fresh takes on well trod material.
Chris
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-books
As always, Godin delivers.

A book to be read from cover to cover in one sitting - then back again with a highlighter, then action points.

A book that makes me think about who I am and what difference I want to make.

A book that snaps me out of any resistance to change or aversion to risk and shouts loud "just go and do it!"

And I will.
Faisal Khan
If you're down and you want an ignition to get started, you should read this.
Adam Ashton
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The ultimate Seth. This is approaching 'absolutely everyone must read' status. Not much more I can say, just read it, then take your turn.
Samantha Mitchell
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You can read this book in one sitting or pick it up when you need some inspiration. Formatted more like a magazine, yet filled with the same marketing and entrepreneurial advice that Seth Godin is known to give. More then just your boring business book, I loved the aesthetic and would love to see more books follow suit. Additionally, when you buy one, they send an extra for you to give to a friend. Brilliant.
Ahmad Moshrif
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is what I call a peace of art, Seth is keep surprising me again and again, short content in well designed book.

highly recommended.
Simone Bocedi
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
A collection of short blogs made of short sentences.
Almost better to read a page a day than the whole book in one setting. Would not recommend it.
Adler
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings.
- I loved a few pages that I marked to read again and again until it sinks, and to share with others.
- There are great thoughts and concepts that can be an eye opener, depending on your challenges.
- It's a great piece in the sense that it's a well curated/edited/thoughtful book. Not everyone can put together this content in such a powerful way.
- On the other hand, there are plenty of other books that, at least for me, are more practical and are also thoughtful in the way th
Anita Ashland
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
As Seth says, "either you're the creator or you're the audience. Either you're waiting your turn or you're taking it." This is a great book to occasionally pull off the shelf and read a page or two for inspiration. Each page is well-designed and draws you in. If you like his blog posts, you'll love this book.
Cerece Murphy
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seth Godin is always an inspiration.
Michael Stafford
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Brian Howell
Beautiful, different, well put-together. A lot of great things to think about, regarding opportunity, wondering what you're really afraid of, wants vs. needs, connecting as human beings, and so much more. I need to learn more about Seth Godin.
The DWD Podcast
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A truly inspiring book. Ultimately, you can’t wait for a saving grace or your prince charming. If you want something to happen, go do it. Don’t wait. There is no right time; there is only now. There are a ton of great analogies in this book, as well as quotes. The one that continues to stick in my head is “to dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.”

Read this book!

Rate: 5/5
Iris Ooyen
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and have gifted it to many clients over the years. An inspiring read that makes you question yourself and the way you do things.
Jake Miller
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book. Influenced me more than any book before it or after it. Got an itch to do something big? To be a catalyst of change? Read this. You need to hear this message.
K.M.
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
At first glance, this book looks like a big picture book. It pulls you right in. It made me think that anyone with learning disabilities might find this book interesting, enjoyable (and not too exhausting) to read, but anyone would. I got through it pretty quickly, but because I was enjoying it so much. You could also leisurely meander your way through it and love it just as much. Read this book.
Amy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an inspirational, empowering & noteworthy book! Not only can I save this having read it, but having also listened to the author in Boise this summer. This book will change your life, read it!! ...more
Jeff Hodson
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, motivation, 2019
This is a great motivational read to get started doing the work – whatever that may mean for you. It's a very quick and visual book. I'll refer back to this frequently to put myself in the right mindset.
Melissa
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for the messages, reminders and encouragement. It was a fun read. The photos and quotes are great. It did make me think about why I do what I do and don't do some other things that I wish I did. I'm still mulling the lessons, few of which are new but all of which I need reminding of often. As I'm sure Seth knows, it could use one more edit - but he shipped it and it's good. And I love that he chose her for the cover. That and many of the first 20 or so pages made me think he had to have ...more
Thomas
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
YOU HAVE PERMISSION! That is the central message to Seth's latest work. Stop waiting for someone to tell you to "move forward", "execute crazy things", "paint pictures", "sing your song", "dance your dance", LIVE YOUR LIFE and create YOUR WORK.

If you keep waiting, your gift to the world will die with you.

The book is unconventional based on modern standards. It's filled with pictures and quotes and anecdotes and short stories about real people in real life. You don't just read it. You sip it over
Rute Silva Brito
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Personally, it's not my favorite from Seth Godin because having read most of this books and blog posts, I didn't find there was enough novel ideas on this one. I'm still giving it 4 stars because the message of this book is much needed, it has stunning visuals and it makes for a perfect gift. In fact, it was made for the purpose of sharing. I already bought copies for a few people and the feedback was great.
Matthew
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Not worth the high cover price but if you can find it used or on sale, go for it. This book is a shot in the arm of encouragement. It's well-designed with energized, punchy writing. Blog writing at its best. The premise of the book is that you shouldn't let fear of failure hold you back. Being in a constant state of learning, creativity, and risking failure is a much more effective way to live the life that most of us would rather be living.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Art of Possibility
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
  • The Choice
  • Opowiesci buddyjskiego mnicha
  • How to Own the World: A Plain English Guide to Thinking Globally and Investing Wisely
  • What Are You Looking At?: 150 Years of Modern Art in a Nutshell
  • ADHD
  • Cirque Du Soleil: The Spark: Igniting the Creative Fire That Lives Within Us All
  • Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
  • Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis
  • The Catcher Was a Spy: The Mysterious Life of Moe Berg
  • Astrological Oracle Cards
  • Long Story Short: The Only Storytelling Guide You'll Ever Need
  • How To Make Anyone Like You
  • Un-Trumping America: A Plan to Make America a Democracy Again
  • When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man
  • Monster's Mercy
  • Civil Disobedience and Other Essays
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust