Start by marking “Explorers” as Want to Read:
Explorers

Explorers

From Caldecott Medalist Matthew Cordell, Explorers is a new picture book about an extraordinary trip to a museum.

When a family goes to a local museum, a boy notices a homeless man sitting outside, making brightly colored origami birds. He convinces his dad to buy a bird the man makes just for him.

Once inside the museum, his little sister takes the bird and la
Published September 24th 2019 by Feiwel and Friends

To ask other readers questions about Explorers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Explorers

Start your review of Explorers
Villain E
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A silent picture book about how we're all really the same. A white family visits a museum. The son has a flying toy insect which he throws around. At one point, it's caught by a boy in a muslim family who returns it. Later, the boy follows the toy and loses track of his family. The muslim family helps him find them.

From the title and cover image, I was expecting something completely different. But I liked the story I got.
Leslie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful ode to museums and making new friends. Iove the nods to my favorite Chicago museum.
Barbara
In this almost wordless picture book [the only text consists of the sounds made by the flying origami bird and the snatching of the flyer by human hands] a boy and his parents and little sister head off to the museum to spend a day looking at all the fascinating exhibits. Along the way, they see a homeless man who is fashioning origami birds. The boy simply must have one, and the father gives a donation to the man. The group is divided on what to look at first, and the boy keeps flying his paper ...more
Margaret Boling
7/2/2019 ~ I'd like to know the story behind the scenes for the publication of this book. The entry for this ISBN here in GoodReads describes a book about a Pegasus with a 2016 release date.
GoodReads description as copies & pasted on 7/2/2019:
Liz Szabla at Feiwel and Friends acquired North American rights to Little Jupiter by Matthew Cordell, author-illustrator of Another Brother.
In the new book, despite his mythological pals’ skepticism, young Pegasus, sets out on a quest to prove t/>
Liz
Aolund
In terms of story (told all in pictures, no words), this book was slightly confusing even to me, a grown adult. The pacing, motions, panel-choices...all felt a bit off, and that's to say nothing of the fact that the white children and the brown children inexplicably end up being friends at the end despite the white boy repeatedly snatching his toy back from the brown boy and never apologizing for being rude. Of course, even sticky representations like this present a good opportunity for discussi ...more
Mary
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Explorers, Matthew Cordell once again proves that a picture is worth a thousand words. This wordless picture book begins with a family outing to a history museum. A magical encounter makes for an especially engaging experience for a little boy—though much to the detriment of those around him—but when he loses something important, an opportunity for redemption presents itself. A story of forgiveness, friendship, and magic where you least expect it, Explorers is one you just can’t miss!
Pam
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wordless book
An ordinary family outing to the museum becomes magical after a young boy buys an origami bird from a homeless man. Readers can easily follow the story and flesh out the adventures as they explore as a family and interact with other patrons. The boy gets lost and the family they met helps him find his family though he was rude to their little boy.
Many things to talk about with readers as they examine the illustrations.
Erin
Wordless books almost always benefit from some discussion. This one offers a lot of opportunity to talk about feelings and behavior and what to do if you get lost. There was also a lot of "what do you think just happened?" and putting together picture clues to create what was happening in the story. It was fun to follow the bird around the museum.
Abby Johnson
A family takes a most interesting trip to a museum in this nearly wordless book from Caldecott medal winner Cordell. I love how expressive the art is and there are tons of details to take in. I think you could get something new out of this book on each read.
Molly
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
In this wordless picture book, a family takes a trip to a museum and an act of kindness and forgiveness bring them together with another family. This is a beautifully illustrated story with a great message.
Krissy Neddo
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A maybe purchase for my elementary library.
Best for fans of Cordell's illustrations or those looking for books about museums.
Children will get the most out of this when they look and discuss it 1-1 with a caregiver.
Kelly
Yeah, I mean, it was fine. I'm not a Cordell fan to begin with, so saying this might be my favorite of his books isn't saying much, but yeah. It was cool how the book started right away even before the copyright and title pages.
Pam
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Matthew Cordell's newest wordless picture book shows us a sweet way to make friends and share new toys - all you need is a little bit of magic.
Dina
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wordless picture book that teaches kindness...you can't go wrong with it! I like the diverse set of characters introduced in the book and the artwork.
Engel Dreizehn
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I love about wordless is the magic and wonder of exploring the little details akin to exploring an actual museum.
PWRL
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
SM
Mary Lee
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Explore a museum, explore a new friendship.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook
Wordless ode to museums with fodder for discussion.
Angie  Moore
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! So much fun and adventure!
Pam  Page
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Wordless picture book that provides many scenes for children to view of a family's exploration through a museum while the boy looks for his lost toy.
Becca
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
wordless
Lindsey
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wordless. My kid adored it.
Deja
No words in this one, so I "read" it. I have a thing about books without words ...
Roben
A magical book about family and finding new friends and learning to share and show gratitude. Also about being afraid when you are lost in a big place.
Melissa
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A mostly wordless book about an adventure in a museum. It has magic, a stolen toy, various emotions and probably more if I looked at it again.
Lisa Day
Sep 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
The wordless books aren't my favourite. I didn't get the point of hte story until I was told.
Jeanie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wordless picture book. The title on the edition I have is "Explorers." Could be a good way to introduce small children to museums before, or as a vehicle for discussion after, a first museum visit.
Maria Marshall
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun wordless family adventure to a museum full of sibling strife and love, diversity and acceptance, willfulness and wandering, all wrapped in a touch of magic .
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Pokko and the Drum
  • Spencer's New Pet
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Fly!
Matthew Cordell is the acclaimed author and illustrator of the 2018 Caldecott winner Wolf in the Snow. He is also the author and illustrator of Trouble Gum and the illustrator of If the S in Moose Comes Loose, Toot Toot Zoom!, Mighty Casey, Righty and Lefty, and Toby and the Snowflakes, which was written by his wife. Matthew lives in the suburbs of Chicago with his wife, writer Julie Halpern, and ...more