Start by marking “Structuring Your Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Building Strong and Successful Stories” as Want to Read:

Discover the Proven Blueprint for Creating Stories That Sell!

Internationally published author K.M. Weiland’s previous book, the award-winning Structuring Your Novel, showed writers how to create stories with strong and compelling plot structure.

Now it’s time to put those lessons to use! Building upon the principles you’ve already learned, the Structuring Your Novel Workbook presents a guid
Published November 15th 2014 by PenForASword Publishing

Start your review of Structuring Your Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Building Strong and Successful Stories
Gail
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For all my friends who are or want to be writers, if you want to give yourself some homework, discover the work of KM Weiland. She's helped me wrap my whole head around conceptualizing the structure of novels (and how to do it well). It's an art just like learning any other craft. (Reading this, I felt the way I did in my early days of photography, piecing together all the elements that entailed shooting in manual).
Monica Rodriguez
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: revision, writing
This is a GREAT guide for any fiction writer. Even after you've written your story, this will help you in revisions. I'm using it to make sure I've hit all the important points. But it's most helpful when you find yourself lost in the weeds of your story and you're not sure which direction will get you to the end.

The questions that follow each section provide terrific guidance. They help you order your thoughts about your story. And sometimes you come across a question you hadn't tho
Angel Leya
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This would make a great electronic fillable form. As it stands, I got the kindle version, which is fine, but lacks that satisfying, fill-it-in aspect. The paperback would be nice, but I'd likely need to buy one for every story. :) I do love all the directions and questions in it. It's like getting the anatomy of your story laid out in an easy to digest format. I feel the need to rearrange some of the items, though. I think this book blends really well with Randy Ingermanson's How to Write a Nove ...more
D.G. Kaye
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great writer's guide for scene and plot structure. Lots of detailed descriptions and examples, and although geared more towards fiction writing, I think this book is helpful for writing in all genres and for beginners and older writers alike.
Polt
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
If you are just beginning to dabble in the world of story writing, then this workbook would most likely be an incredibly useful guide. However, if you've been dabbling in this world for a while and are simply looking to hone your craft or find your "it" factor, then this book may not be as useful to you. A lot of the information in here are just reiterations of things that an English teacher would tell you about the process of good story structure (in my opinion). I found myself nodding a lot an ...more
Elle
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hard to work through in order, given that it expects you to already know your project outline, pinch points, plot points, etc. A little jumping backwards and forwards may be in order, especially for those who have a beginning and ending in mind but not necessarily all the middle, or a bunch of events but not necessarily know the exact order or where they fall in the three act structure yet.

Lots of good questions and exercises, very good at making you think about how events flow into
Jacqueline Mudge-Cooke
This book is a good resource but as hard as I tried, I felt like I just did not get it. For my writing ideas kept on changing and molding, and it probably would show if anyone looked at my answers.

Sometimes I felt like I was being asked the same question again and again or the answer I write is for the wrong question. This book is more ideal for a planning writer who knows everything from A-Z to the book. Than if you say are a discovery writer. Although throughout the frustration I've had with
Charles
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love every one of K. M. Weiland’s books

As a systems thinker (retired systems engineer actually), I really resonate with her clear systematic approach and relevant examples. Her books are among my top go-to’s for learning and reference as I continue to grow as a writer and as a person.
Cassandra Yieng
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate the comprehensive questions to highlight the strengths and strengthen the weaknesses in novels-in-progress. Although it's tough to give each question a long answer, the wordiness is essential, especially for writers who need to get everything down before they begin the first draft like me. Working through the workbook will take time, but the effort is worth it at the end.
G. Edward  Smith
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

This is by far the single greatest book I have read concerning novel writing advice. K.M. Welland puts forth her knowledge in a straight forward and easily understandable manner. Highly recommend this book and all of her others.
M.M.
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, writing
Een fantastisch werkboek! het helpt je om de lessen van Structuring your novel in praktijk te brengen en toe te passen door vele vragen en oefeningen. Een aanrader!
Yasi
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
As with many of K.M. Weiland's books, this workbook is a true life saver. Thank you!
K. A. Parker
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ref-and-how-to
Great for in-progress works or those in need of revision.
Charis Rae
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
K.M. Weiland - or Katie - is not only a master of fiction stories, but also a whiz when it comes to plot, characters, and planning your novel. She has a wonderful way of making everything make sense, and provides a step-by-step guide to plot and structure, while still leaving enough room for creativity.

Katie shares every possible thing you need to know about plot structure, plus more amazing tips! She provides examples from other popular works and explains things in a very down-to-ea
Sharon
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got the book and this workbook in the summer of 2015 to help me prep the writing of my second novel in time for Nanowrimo. It was during the reading of the book that I realized that my first novel, Chrysalis, was unsound and would need to be restructured.

In December of 2015 I decided to go back to revising Chrysalis. I have been dutifully working on it the last three months, not by re-writing any words, but by going through the workbook, thinking through the questions, exploring different pos
Chiara
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E' un utile completamento del libro Structuring your novel, della medesima autrice. Qui vengono ripresi i punti fondamentali della struttura del romanzo, e per ogni punto oltre agli esempi ci sono utilissimi esercizi da svolgere e anche delle checklist che permettono di verificare il corretto sviluppo dei punti della struttura nei propri testi. Utili anche i numerosi link ad articoli di approfondimento online. Consiglio questo libro e consiglio più in generale di seguire online K. Weiland se si ...more
Kathleen Denly
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
To be fair, I must confess I did not read the book this workbook is based on. That said, this approach of comparing the novel to a play simply did not work for me. While the book posed several thought provoking and helpful questions, I do not feel that I learned as much as I wished to from this workbook. After struggling through the first few chapters, I wound up skimming the rest of the book in my spare moments here and there over several months. I have given it three stars because I feel most ...more
Olivia
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent workbook to accompany the Structuring Your Novel book. It takes you in-depth with each point of the novel, letting you ask questions to nail down what events happen why, and why. It provides questions to prompt you to think about the growth of heroes as well as villains, and even side characters. It offers questions to develop your sub-plots, and a couple chapters that help to flesh out your individual scenes. I'm excited to use this workbook on my novel and give it a proper frame t ...more
Irene
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found Structuring Your Novel really helpful. It's clear, full of examples and practical tips. The book explains the three act structures in a way that can be applied both to the outlining of a new project and to the editing of an existing one. Moreover is a pleasurable reading, entertaining and encouraging.
I have just gone through the workbook without completing all the exercises, but they seem interesting and helpful guidelines for revising and outlining.
On the whole is a book I s
Christina
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and its companion book "Outlining Your Novel Workbook." I'm a complete discovery writer, a pantser, and I'm so glad I have these wonderful books to give me just the amount of structure and help that I need. Weiland breaks down each act of a story, and helps you figure out the must useful places for bits and pieces to go. This is a truly invaluable resource, and I know I'll keep referring to it for years to come!
Vincent
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
A comprehensive, driving step by step guide to good plot structure. It leaves very little to the imagination, and offers even less with how to deviate and change it up from this full-steam-ahead type of writing, but it's not a bad system by any means. Definitely give it a skim or proper study regardless of where you are in your publishing process: you either learn something new or get a refresher from the foundation levels.
Sacha Black
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cracking workbook for new and seasoned writers. I've written a ton of notes, pulled out all the questions I think I'll need to keep asking myself as I draft my own manuscripts. What more can I say? I learnt several things, and know I will refer back to it.

Would recommend for any writer.
Chris Norbury
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A solid companion to Weiland's Outlining Your Novel Workbook. Practical guidelines and provocative questions help the writer stumble through the maze of making sense of a story once you've got the plot and characters figured out.
Mystery Theater
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some helpful stuff. ANTHING that can get you and your story moving is priceless, so even if it is just a few actionable tips, that's a win.
Sophie
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant!
A.M. Bochnak
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent companion to the book. I actually like this workbook better than the book.
Geoff Elliott
Feb 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
  • The Rural Setting Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Personal and Natural Places
  • Writing 21st Century Fiction: High Impact Techniques for Exceptional Storytelling
  • The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws
  • The Urban Setting Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to City Spaces
  • Understanding Conflict: (And What It Really Means) (Skill Builders Series Book 2)
  • 1946: The Making of the Modern World
  • Scriptshadow Secrets (500 Screenwriting Secrets Hidden Inside 50 Great Movies)
  • Complete Creative Writing Course
  • Hook 'Em In Ten! (Screenwriting Blue Books Book 6)
  • Visual Storytelling (Screenwriting Blue Books)
  • Get Started in: Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Drawing on the Artist Within
  • Self-Publishing Manual, Volume II: How to Write, Print, and Sell Your Own Book Employing the Latest Technologies and the Newest Techniques
  • Screenwriting Down to the Atoms: Digging Deeper into the Craft of Cinematic Storytelling
  • My Gita
  • The Positive Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Attributes
  • Perfect Strangers
K.M. Weiland lives in make-believe worlds, talks to imaginary friends, and survives primarily on chocolate truffles and espresso.

She is the IPPY, NIEA, and Lyra Award-winning and internationally published author of the acclaimed writing guides Outlining Your Novel, Structuring Your Novel, and Creating Character Arcs, as well as Jane Eyre: The Writer’s Digest Annotated Classic.

Her fiction include