Start by marking “Portals of Water and Wine (The Alonthiel Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Portals of Water and Wine (The Alonthiel Chronicles, #1)

Portals of Water and Wine

(The Alonthiel Chronicles #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Naya lives in chaos. Her family is shredded, with only bare threads of her long-dead mother and her absent father still lingering in her house.

And then she hears the name -- Alonthiel -- spoken as a promise of freedom and escape, if only for one fleeting summer. And so she goes, hand in hand with her two best friends, allowing herself to slip into a new world of ancient o
Kindle Edition
Published December 1st 2014 by Indie Published

To ask other readers questions about Portals of Water and Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portals of Water and Wine

S.H.
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A faerie tale with dazzling descriptions and abundantly charming characters

What I Loved

R.L. Haas had my mouth watering at sumptuous lasagna, Each Uisce, and a Dreadlocked Faerie King. The strongest weapon in her arsenal by far are her breath-taking proseful descriptions, from showing us ugliness in the human world (Derrick, anyone?) to battling iron clawed Fae armies of old, to the sensuous breaking of bread between a woman and a Fae King, which to myself seemingly paralleled a woman and her lo
Abigail Kraft
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Portals of Water and Wine, R.L. Haas's introduction to the Alonthiel Chronicles, brings fantasy into the real world. It's almost hard for me to now imagine that there isn't a magical Fae kingdom hidden in the Colorado woods. Haas's cast of characters is dynamic and lovable ... and their unbreakable bond of kinship is one I wish all people shared. Alonthiel is a carefully and beautifully sculpted world that I'm really hoping kind of actually physically exists somewhere (even if it's not filled wi ...more
Rachelle Cobb
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
So I stayed up until 1am on New Years' Eve (Day?) to finish this humdinger of a book.

I can't even put it into words the type of book it is; it has everything: magic and faeries, cooking and contemporary life, pain and love (which, really, *are* everything, yes?).

Naya is such a soul I wouldn't mind having for a friend. She is my favorite. She still grieves for her mother, she is conflicted, she is weak in a relatable way. Then she finds out she is strong in the newest, most extraordinary way. I
Emily McFarlan Miller
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
When somebody tells you they're self-publishing a novel about Faeries, you don't expect it to be good. Or, at least, I don't. But when my friend and fellow Storyteller R.L. Haas was looking for beta readers to offer feedback on the unedited manuscript of "Portals of Water and Wine," something about the way the world she had created felt so palpably real to her made me say yes. And I'm so glad I did. I won't spoil anything about the plot and what happens to the protagonist, Naya, but I will share ...more
Elora Ramirez
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
JUST WAIT FOR THIS BOOK, Y'ALL. JUST WAIT.

Suzanne Seidel
Jan 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
I read this book because I knew it was self-published and I wanted to support this lady. But - and I hate to say this but I'm going to anyway - this book was almost everything I'm scared my self-published little thing will be. There were silly errors and inconsistencies. There was frequent repetition of words and ideas. There was a TON of build up and then it seemed that the ending was rushed, that the author just wanted to be done, to have completed something, and I totally feel that. But I was ...more
Brittany Gooding
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Y'all. I cried. Her words wove a story so powerful that the only way to show reverence to the story was to christen its pages with tears. The only way to show Naya, Tian, Harris, Irena, and every one else that I not only read about them, but I saw them was to shed tears. My gasps and smiles, my laughter and sighs brought them to life before my eyes. They all danced in my living room and when I closed the book, finishing the last page, they danced on.
Mander Ritzert
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my word. I loved this book. The world Haas created in Alonthiel is beautiful. Even I fell a little in love with Tian. And Harris - oh my god, Harris - he is my spirit animal. A magically crafted story. I even used an excerpt from it in my wedding. Absolutely DYING for book 2!
Colette Galivan
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gripping read

This story will keep you hooked. The magical world of Alonthiel is beautifully constructed. The twists and turns are just frequent enough to keep you engaged and coming back for more. The only slight critique I have is in the editing as there were several places in the story where a misspelling was not caught. I'd suggest the author take some time to correct this. It does not detract at all from the story or enjoyment of the book, however, and I highly recommend that you check it
Ashlea
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I was actually really excited to read this book despite knowing almost nothing about it. I will tell you what I did know before picking it up: I knew it was about fairies and I knew the woman who wrote it. This is R. L. Haas's debut novel and it has been really excited to see her chase her dreams and make them come true.
I want to do this review justice, and because I respect the author, I want it to be honest. I mostly loved this book and actually found myself wishing there
Lisa
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm always hesitant about reviewing a book when the author is a friend and first-time novelist. I want to be honest with my opinions without hurting anyone's feelings.

I love R.L. Haas' blog writings and am inspired by her poetic words, so I was intrigued by her debut novel.

And let me say this as far as stories go: this is a gripping tale of identity, giftings, and community, among other things.

I don't normally read a lot of fantasy books, and this one features human-like creatures called Fae, wh
Kate
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I tend to side-eye anything that seems akin to Twilight and the billions of other novels starring young women suddenly finding themselves in love with preternaturally beautiful supernatural beings. But somehow this story about, basically, Big Faeries Who Wear V-Necks Just Like Normal Human People kept me turning the pages and craving a sequel.

Naya is an artist and chef mourning her mother and navigating unpleasant dynamics with her father's new family. When Naya's friends take her on a mysteriou
Stacey Lozano
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2015
There are questions I would like answers to, but even to ask them would be to give spoilers which would simply spoil things tremendously, and I refuse to do that. Simply put, she wrote in a way that made me want to be Naya and I think that is a sign of good writing and story. I would pass this on to friends, easily, knowing that as they opened the first page they would be entering into a story with heart, bravery, romance, and just the right amount of mystery and surprise.

For those who need to k
Prudence
I was acquainted with author R.L. Haas through author Elora Ramirez, and prompted by my friend's exuberant review I decided to check it out. Portals of Water and Wine is Haas’ first novel and before I was half way through I was ready for the second book. I didn’t need to get to the end to know I was going to need more of Naya and her Fae friends. I know I will be re-reading this one!
Tina Evans
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the opening lines to the surprise finish that has me on the edge of my seat not-so-patiently waiting for the sequel, this book held me captive. This amazing author can spin a tale so involving that when you finally look up to see what time it is, you realize two hours have passed since you last looked. I cried, I laughed, I loved, I was taken away to a world filed with words that make dreams come true.
Maritza "Books y Booty" Valle
Haas does an amazing job in her debut novel of taking readers where they've definitely never been with fairy/fae stories.

With refreshing spins on classic attention-getters and characters who are well-developed, intriguing, and satisfyingly self-aware (hello, protaganist who self-identifies as feminist) POWAW had me cheering out-loud for the characters as well as for the writer and genre. This is a story you haven't read before. From an author you wish you could read more of.
Suzanne
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I love the unpredictable plot twists and the beautiful descriptions. But mostly, I love these characters. Their reveal is gradual and honest, and in a sea of novels in which character descriptions too often read like resumes, R.L. Haas lets the reader get to know them like they're real people. Love it.
Lindsay Smith
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Full Disclosure: I was a copy editor for Portals of Water and Wine.

Rachel is a master storyteller who has a way with words that leaves me breathless. She created characters of depth and heart. She created a magical world and drew me in from the very first sentence.

This is a remarkable book. I cannot wait for the sequel.
Adrienne
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read POWAW months ago and I still think of this story often. The characters are realistic, with history, hopes and dreams, and it's easy to relate to them. I am so excited to see what happens next. When I finished the book, all I could think was "Whaaaat!?!" In a good way. :) in so excited to see where the story goes from here. And now I want lasagna.
Kate
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful. The imagery, the relationships, everything! is so rich. I cried for love of these characters and I can't wait for the sequel.
A'Driane
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
My heart was pounding near the end. And now I want to read more of Naya's story because after that ending? I'm just as confused and curious as Naya is. WHEW. Man.
JOHN SMALL
Dec 28, 2015
Anna Meade
Dec 13, 2014
Christina
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2018
Beth
Dec 01, 2014
Lindsey Bloodworth
Jan 18, 2015
R.L Haas has been writing since she knew what a pen was. She wrote her first book at the age of six, and while it didn't take off beyond her mother's box of treasures, it lit a fire in her for writing books and telling stories.

Her non-fiction work has appeared in such locations as The Kitchn, Literary Orphans, WearYourVoice, The Perpetual You, and SheLoves Magazine.

She lives in between cornfield

The Alonthiel Chronicles (2 books)
  • Portals of Iron and Blood (The Alonthiel Chronicles, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“I finally realized that I had to embrace the madness, let it transform me instead of letting it define me.

....

"You, my ferocious girl, are embracing the madness. Lean into it, won't ya?”
1 likes