Start by marking “The Empath (Lost Locket of Lahari)” as Want to Read:
The Empath (Lost Locket of Lahari)

The Empath (Lost Locket of Lahari)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  18 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This book is also available in the LOST LOCKET OF LAHARI ANTHOLOGY. Save 50% versus buying the five books in the collection individually, plus receive an additional BONUS ORIGIN STORY!

In a Victorian society fascinated by spiritualists, something wicked sinks its claws in from the other side.

Odessa is a psychic; her mother, the Great Madame Elena, is a fraud. After a séance
Published October 7th 2014 by Patchwork Press

To ask other readers questions about The Empath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empath

really liked it 4.00  ·

Jordan
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Sometimes you read a book and are so completely blown away by it that you can’t help but think, why have I not heard this title shouted from the rooftops or at least seen it in my Facebook feed? Then you go on Goodreads and it has so few ratings you’re floored. As a blogger, this pains me and hopefully, this review will piqué your interest enough to give it a try.

The Empath is an unsupecting and virtually hidden gem that deserves to be loved and cherished by fans of tarot, seances, magic,
Chiara
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Okay, it is official. I have never previously had a favourite author - only favourite books. But the time has come for that era to end. I have a favourite author, and lovelies - her name is Erica Crouch.

Every single time, and I mean every single time I read ANYTHING by Erica, I am completely and 100% captivated from start to finish. Her way with words is unparalleled, in my humble opinion - and what words those are. Every single one has a meaning and a place, and they are never useless. Each and
Kelley
[4.5 stars]

This is another one of those books that by the time I got to actually read it, I'd forgotten what had made me want to request it on NetGalley. I quickly remembered, though, as the very first scene involves a tarot reading! Woohoo! At that point, I was sneaking quick reading sessions of this book whenever I possibly could, and for more than the tarot.

The Empath is an absolute gem, as far as I'm concerned. It has so many of the qualities that I love to encounter in a fantasy story. It r
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews.

Okay, how is it that an 128 page e-book managed to be so completely awesome?!

I’ve convinced myself that Erica Crouch isn’t human. It’s completely impossible to write such amazing things EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. But she does! Every. Time. It’s like she crawls into your brain and writes exactly what you want to read.

I absolutely adored this novella. Everything about it was perfection . We have Odessa, a psychic badass. She can read tarot cards and palms, do séances
Joana Felício
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, read-to-buy
READ THE ORIGINAL REVIEW ON MY WEBSITE: http://thebookaddictsblog.blogspot.pt...

This was such a great opportunity to read a book surrounded by fantasy and occult elements at the time that I did.
It's more of short story, but it didn't feel like it. It was like reading a full novel, with so much action, adventure and misunderstood characters.
The Empath was fast-paced and sad and beautiful and kind of amazing. It puts the reader under a spell, and I can't remember a single time when I felt bored. I
Karen Abc
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
What motivated me to request this book? Well, two things. The cover, the beautiful cover. And the summary that just seemed to interesting. So I requested the book, thanks to Patchwork Press.

The story begins with Odessa and we know her mother. So Odessa is a young girl who also is a psychic, an authentic one, not fake like her mother 'The great Madame Elena'. Who is really mean to his daughter.
The only concern of Odessa's mother is money. That's all she care for. Odessa wants to be free, she is
Ionia
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This has been my favourite offering from Erica Crouch thus far. She writes with a passion for complex characters that make the reader want to know more about them and weaves stories that have a way of going a different direction than you expect them to. This is what makes me seek out her books, and one of the things that makes her such a fantastic author--the reader can always expect the unexpected.

In this particular book, although it was short and apparently part of a collection, the reader is
Crystal
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! My only problem with it . . . I wish it was longer! Can you write a sequel and let us know what Odessa is up to now? Please! I do love the ending, but I can't stop thinking about this story. I want more!

Odessa is a psychic. She has a very controlling mom who won't let her leave. Odessa's mom, The Great Madame Elena, doesn't truly have the gift like Odessa does. So she keeps her around to "help" her, so she can keep making money. One night at a séance, something goes horri
Sara Beary
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It might help that I have a minor fascination with the Tarot, and the occult to be honest. And this book handles these ancient practices perfectly. From sage to ward away evil spirits, to the descriptions of her tarot and palm readings. Erica really nailed it.

The characters are also extremely well developed. From the antagonist Madame Elena, and the sweet strength that is Odessa, to the sweet charming nature of Benjamin. She weaves them throughout the story to keep you
Halston Seabolt
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book as a review copy from Netgalley. Even though this book was short (only 93 pages!) it was so good! I was swept up in the gypsy lifestyle and the tricks of the trade. I loved Odessa and was rooting for her the whole time. Her name alone calls to mind magic and journeys. I will admit that this kind of thing freaks me out. The channeling of spirits is dangerous and very real and people get hurt all the time. As we saw with Odessa's mother,which in reality she definitely deserv ...more
Selene L. Nyx
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ms. Crouch has an intriguing story going here, I feel it would have gotten 5 stars had it been a novel and not just a long short story. Overall the characters have breath of life in them and the romance within the book is very touching. Odessa, Ben, Madame Elena, they have solid bone structures that make the occult look interesting and pleasing to those who know not much about what it truly is. I loved reading this book, it has an element that I cannot explain but just wished it was longer. Ms. ...more
Angie
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
gypsy girl with paranormal talent is used by her ungifted mother for scamming people wanting card or palm readings or seances. At the root of the story is the girl's desire and need to grow up and separate herself from her mother's way of life. In between is the struggle she puts up against a powerful demon, and how she deals with the outcome.
Janna Jennings
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Erica Crouch has a masterful command of words as she weaves an eerie story that has you clutching the edge of your seat and screaming, "Don't open that door!"
Seanean
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it

Odessa's mother is a grifter who pretends to be a spiritualist in order to get all the fame and money that she can. Odessa is the real talent who feeds her mother the true information that is given to the customers.

Odessa can read palms, read cards, and see the dead, while her mother only acts like she can.

Despite Odessa's misgivings, her mother decides to conduct a seance on Samhain, It has the potential to be her biggest score yet.

It turns out to be her
Saruuh Kelsey
I enjoyed this story. I had a couple niggles with it - the world wasn't as well built as I'd have liked and it was hard to pinpoint a time period - but overall it was pretty awesome. The main character was equal parts helpless and strong, I quite fancied the love interest, and the story was interesting. A unique short story of psychics, dark magic, and a girl who just wants to be free of the life her mother has trapped her in.
Jen
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-juv

The Empath by Erica Crouch is a novella or long short story. Gypsies, tarot, seances, psychics genuine and fraudulent. And romance. I think this one would have been better as a novel--it had some great ingredients for a longer narrative.

NetGalley/Patchwork Press

YA. Oct. 7, 2014. Print length: 98 pages.
Dana Cuadrado
Oct 09, 2014
jelly_ace
rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2017
Erica Crouch
Oct 07, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-covers, pwp-books
Joy
Apr 16, 2015
Teri
Apr 17, 2015
Erica Crouch is a fiction writer and genre hopper. She has co-founded two publishing collectives, Patchwork Press and Weapenry, and has produced nine novels and two screenplays. Originally from Ellicott City, Erica has since moved into the heart of Annapolis, Maryland where she continues to write while studying law.

Read more about her online at ericacrouch.com.