Start by marking “Hello Ruby: Adventures in Coding” as Want to Read:
Hello Ruby: Adventures in Coding

Hello Ruby: Adventures in Coding

(Hello Ruby #1)

"Hello Ruby is half picture book and half activity book rolled into one adorable package. It introduces programming without requiring a computer at all. The point of the book isn’t to teach you a programming language, but programming concepts." --GeekMom.com

Meet Ruby—a small girl with a huge imagination, and the determination to solve any puzzle. As Ruby stomps around her
Published October 6th 2015 by Feiwel & Friends (first published August 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Hello Ruby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello Ruby

Karen
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: includes-review, 2016
1.5 stars for the story and 3.5 stars for the Activities.
I started reading this book after watching part of Linda Liukas' TED Talk, which infers that Hello Ruby is a "delightful" way to introduce kids to coding. Is it really that delightful? Methinks it's a bit overhyped. The book is beautifully produced with cute illustrations throughout; it has an interesting story, but the plotting feels contrived and doesn't compare well against a good "proper" picture book. Ironically (for a book related to
Mikko Saari
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming little book. The story was ok, but the best part of the book is in the end, where you can practise thinking like a programmer. The tasks are simple, easy and helpful.
Pam
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Linda Liukas has done great things encouraging children, especially girls, to learn coding. Her concept for this book is definitely a 5, but the execution was poor. Linda Liukas would have had better results if she had collaborated with a successful children's book author. I do however encourage knowledgeable parents to use this book with their children who might be so inclined.

First, Liukas, while trying to create a book that would be attractive to girls, created a book that will turn off boys
Jakub
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Nice book showing and explaining computational thinking to babies. I had fun reading it and my daughter enjoyed story and some of the activities. However i think she is just too young now to appreciate everything in this book.

So we will be coming back to this book for sure.

If your child is 5-6 years old, this book can provide fun for a child and you for many hours.
farmwifetwo
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
It's a cute little story book about a little girl finding some gems her Father left her. It's total fantasy and impossible.

So, the author made up a number of activities - which you have to redo at home to complete them and explain to your child - age 5 to 8.

Personally, 3 stars for idea but you'd be better off buying Lollipop Logic.
Triin Preem
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Five stars for the idea! It is absolutley fantastic to see how catching and exciting can something so practical be. I enjoyed it and my daughter (6 y) loves it. Also the work book part is cool. Reminds me exactly my beginners coding lessons but is more clear and easier to understand.
Would like to find more similarly smart books, games etc to kids.
Katy Plaza
Fiction Twin Text:

Hautman, P. (2016). The Flinkwater factor: A novel in five thrilling episodes. New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

Rationale for twin text selection:
I chose this selections because of its connection with technology. In the non-fiction text you are learning how to use code to create computer programs. In my fiction text it is about how a computer program is putting life as they know it at stake and how they must go about solving this problem by creating a new
Kim Ammons (youthbookreview)
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very cute and, I think, very effective at introducing kids (or anyone, really) to general computer/coding principles. The first 2/3 or so is a story that introduces problem-solving, and then the last 1/3 is an activity book that teaches terms and lets you try out what you've learned. Very fun, and the illustrations are adorable, too!
Gary Love
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty lame story. But some great activities at the end.
Jess
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delight. This short book introduces computational thinking concepts, coding vocabulary, and fun characters. I'd recommend reading the story with elementary age kids (boys and girls).

The best part is all of the activities in the back. Ignore the cutesy art and whimsy - these activities are good for all ages - little kids, middle grades, teens, and grown ups. Savvy parents can use the activities in the back of the book for inspiration as a way to turn any activity or conversation into a wa
Lena
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a cute idea and I really wanted to like it, but I thought the execution needed work. The story was kind of confusing, and while it's full of in jokes, the kids won't get them, and parents who don't work in tech probably won't either. The exercises at the end were good, although most of them were familiar to me from CS Unplugged -- but I guess if you want to present them to kids without them being part of a curriculum, this works pretty well. I thought the activity about the foxes probably w ...more
Alexandre Mesquita
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
4 stars for the illustrations throughout the book.

The first part of the book is a story. It attempts to indirectly introduce programming ideas using fiction. I think the author was not very successful with this. I give it 3 stars.

The second part is a collection of activities where the characters from the story are also present. Most of the activities are well thought. Children can be introduced to programming concepts by using real world situations they can relate to. I give it 4 stars.

I didn't
Two BookWorms Blog
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a clever way to introduce kids to the information of how a computer really works. It’s a chapter book, but with short, manageable chapters that won’t overwhelm the reader. While half the book is story, the second half of the book is filled with hands-on activities.

For the full review: https://twobookwormsblog.wordpress.co...
Bethany Buchanan
Absolutely love it. I have a budding coder in the making who is obsessed with books about coding. The story is great, I was able to keep the interest of my daughter who’s nearly 5. The activities are amazing too. Definitely a recommendation!
ConnieLettow
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Weird story, hard to follow story. The last half of the book has interesting activities in the back of the book. My 5yo daughter was only interested in doing a couple of the activities. I'm guessing that the activities are the main treasure of the book.
Carmela Dutra
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would classify this as a hybrid between a picture book and a chapter book. I think this book is a good first step to computational thinking for everybody. There are activities to try at home, as well as a glossary of terms which I feel is helpful for young readers.
Sarika
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
My daughter (she is 5 years old) loves this book. We read it together and did some of the exercises. I also got her a game (a mouse that can be programmed to navigate a maze) and she got it right away. Cool!

Emily
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
ok
NoRa
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
The activities in this book were more fun than the story.
Annie
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: coding, childrens
The story in the first half was mediocre, but I am definitely planning on using some of the activities in the second half of the book.
Rachelle
Great introduction for young people to computer science and computational thinking. Love the use of stories and clear definitions of key terms.
Ashley
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Use this for teaching students about computational thinking and computers they use on a daily basis without realizing it.
Kate  TerHaar
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
The story helps to explain the logical thought process needed in coding.
Karla Garcia
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book to teach your kids programming and analytical skills.
Kate
Great for girls who are interested in coding and computer programming! Ideal for ages 7 years and over.
Julie
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh. I think it’s more appropriate for 2nd grade, but perhaps someone in my 4th grade will enjoy it as narrative non-fiction....
Mary
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-fiction
Josh Hamon
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book I enjoyed reading to children and for it's own sake. The story is delightful and the illustration is a lot of fun. I enjoyed the easter egg nature of the world.
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Now that I’ve read this book, I think I understand coding now. It’s a great introduction to the computational thinking necessary to understand how to code for kids.
Pam
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Buy this book for the activities. The picture book section is problematic at best and downright confusing. However, it is a good way to teach both adults and young children about rudimentary
computational thinking. Young parents can easily find activities that they can incorporate into their daily conversations and activities with their children. Don't read the picture book to a child without pre-reading and editing it into something intelligible.

• The Girl Who Wouldn't Brush Her Hair
  • Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams, #6)
  • A Cat Named Swan
  • The Great Big Book of Families
  • Et kävele yksin
  • Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
  • Juli Bauer's Paleo Cookbook: Over 100 Gluten-Free Recipes to Help You Shine from Within
  • The Crockin' Girls Slow Cookin' Companion: Yummy Recipes from Family, Friends, and Our Crockin' Community
  • Summer Indiscretions (Summer Love, #2)
  • The Future: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Digital Art
  • At His Service (Playboys of Boston, #1)
  • Building Data Science Teams
  • Cleonardo, The Little Inventor
  • Free to Make: How the Maker Movement is Changing Our Schools, Our Jobs, and Our Minds
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • Alabama Spitfire: The Story of Harper Lee and To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Holiday Royale

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »