Start by marking “The Dating Game (Dating Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dating Game (Dating Game, #1)

The Dating Game (Dating Game #1)

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  912 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
When three high school sophomores set up a weblog as a class project to research whether girls or boys are more sex-crazed--and to play matchmaker, their own messy love lives become even more complicated.
Published February 2nd 2005 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Dating Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dating Game

Dec 08, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
At best this is a cute book. I enjoy reading young adult literature. Literature is not what I would say this book is. Not at all. There is no real character development or emotional evolution. In fact, aside from the various crushes these girls have, there is little to distinguish the main characters from one another. If you enjoy reading about what three girls with little experience and too much time on their hands do with their lives then I suppose this is a must read book. Personally, I know ...more
Amrin Mathews - 8
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it

The novel The dating games by Natalie Standiford is about three high school girls; Lina, Holly and Madz. These girls are best friends and are in the same sex-ed class. For one of their projects they have decided to make a website to find out if guys or girls are more sex crazed. On the website they have many surveys and a matchmaking service for kids at their school. Along the way the author talks about the girls love lives and the unfortunate couples they've paired.
There is many things the aut
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was not that well put together. I honestly did not really like this book. It was all kind of “smooshed together” toward the ending, and at the end when they said what was going to happen with Sean and Mads, it wasn’t very clear what all happened. Everything happened too quickly. However, I think the characters are very relatable. Mads, Holly, and Lina seem like three average teenage girls who would go to our school. They are well developed because they are very mature, and most of the ...more
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In the book The Dating Game by Natalie Standiford there are three teenage girls in a class doing a survey project, and there main topic is “Who is more obsessed with sex, boys or girls?” And throughout the book there are parties and dates and plenty of drama, all because of the girl’s school wide survey. In all I think that the author’s purpose of this book is explaining that all the high school drama is just exactly that, drama. And that no matter what it won’t go away so everyone shouldn’t wor ...more
Apr 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, 2008
sexist, plotless, and apparently written by a fifth-grader:

"I'm going to get some experience, Mads vowed. She knew exactly whom she wanted to get it with. Another image flashed into her mind. Sean. He shook his hair in the sunlight and smiled his gleaming smile at her. Oh yeah."

Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
*2,5 sterren*

Het was wel een oké boek, niet erg bijzonder en niet erg diepgaand. Het was wel gewoon leuk om te lezen en het is ook een goed boek om 'even tussendoor' te lezen.
Teenage Reads
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Teenage Girls
Shelves: annoyed-me, 2016
One of the most “useful” classes you can take is sex-ed. Sexual Educations teaches about the girl body and the boy body as they go from children to adult, and where they suddenly become attracted to each other. When girls lose their cuties, boys are no longer gross, and they want to get together. This class, taught to the students in grade ten at Rosewood School for Alternative Gifted Education (RSAGE) have to take Interpersonal Human Development (IHD), with the final project being what the soci ...more
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Niet heel boeiend. Voor 15-jarige meisjes is het vast wel leuk om te lezen. ^^ De 3 hoofdpersonen zijn vooral kinderachtig en onrealistisch. Als je van hersenloos lezen en drama houdt, give it a try. Het was verder ook niet echt een compleet verhaal. Ondanks dat het een 1e deel van een serie is, had ik toch gehoopt op iets meer afsluiting.
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Madison, Holly and Lina decide that for a class project, they will prove that guys think about sex more than girls. They figured they can set up a website with some questions for all the kids in their school to answer, and that would prove it. Maybe they could even match up people who had similar interests! What they find though, is that even in an anonymous questionnaire their classmates lie and exaggerate their experience. It's not all bad though, the girls figure they can set themselves up wi ...more
Jul 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
The Dating Game (Dating Game, #1)
by Natalie Standiford

To start off this is the first book of the series but I read accidentally one of the other books in the series and still thought this book was interesting but reading it in order would probably be better. So it starts with 3 girls, a quiz and a question about dating if you find that this sound interesting try reading to the book to find out more. Having rumors with the hottest guy in school, wanting to date the hottest senior boy whil
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
This book is about three girls, Madison, Lina, and Holly. They decide to do a project on which gender thinks about sex more and set up a quiz on a blog to test their theory and match up people. During their project they decide to work on their relationships with their crushes. While each one fails at their attempts they start to realize that not everyone is as experienced as the quiz responses made it seem.
I usually enjoy cute books like this but for some reason this book struck me wrong. I'm no
It's not often I come accross a book that's interactive and funny and doesn't go overboard. This is one of them.
"The Dating Game" focuses on three high schoolers who create an intraschool social networking website called "The Dating Game" as a class project.
Lina has a major crush on her teacher. However, the only other girl who feels the way she does is a strange poetry-loving Goth Girl named Ramona.
Holly has had her share of embarassing moments, but she takes everything with grace and holds her
Sep 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was terrifying. These girls are only 15! They are so young, naive, and delusional.

One quote had me laughing: "Madison was thirsty." Considering the colloquial meaning of thirsty, I'd agree 100%. She was absolutely desperate for attention and validation, which was pretty sad.

Lina came across as creepy. Her whole situation was a bit too stalker-y for me to handle. I found myself cringing and hoping that it would all STOP.

I felt bad for Holly. She seemed somewhat normal, if a bit jaded
Christina Palmer
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I came across while looking for an interesting cover in the library. The dating game is a very vivid and realistic example of the average teenager’s life. When 3 girls decide to take their dating lives into their own hands, things take a turn for the worst. This book has everything you could ask for in a fiction/young-adult book. It has drama, tears, betrayal, happiness, and pain. I, personally, can relate to this book because of the fact that it is very accurate. ...more
May 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 9th-grade
3 high school sophmore girls, Maddie,Holly and Lina are assigned a class project: to research whether girls or boys are more sex crazy. They make of this website, and try to play matchmaker in thier school. The website becomes a huge hit,and everyone wants to find thier "match." While Maddie,Holly and Lina struggle to find the matches, they mess up thier own social lives in the process.
This is the first book, in the dating game series.
Eve - ISB Ariyapinyopas
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
"The Dating Game" by Natalie Standiford is a novel that revolves around the three best-friends Holly, Lina & Mads. All three of them has different personalities. One who's a well-known so-called s*ut but those are just from rumors everyone's been hearing & believing. Another one is in love with a teacher. The Last out of the three, wants more experience in life because everyone think she's just a kid.
May 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
i think i accidentally read the fifth book of this series. but it doesn't really matter: it was bad. sometimes trashy teen books are ok, but the writing and plot and characters... just *everything* was mediocre, flat, and obnoxious all at the same time. also, getting pretty sick of all these rich straight white people.
Aug 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was unreadable. The author is trying far too hard to mimic what high schoolers "really think", maybe in an effort to grab people who graduated high school more than five years ago. I fall into that category, and I was lucky in that my high school was on the cusp of technology, but we definitely were not so vapid.
Bethany Mart
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked it. For a total teen-esque kind of novel. But it ended badly, I thought. The story didn't end and now I have to read the other books in the series. oh well...hahaha. First book for my challenge! Only 29 more to go! Woo!
Gabsta ❤ ツ ɐʇsɐɯ bɐʍs
This book wasn't exactly my favorite, but it still kept me wanting to read till the end to see what happens. I give it 4 stars, because it didn't really captivate me or interest me that much.

I would recommend this book to girls who like gossip, chick-lit, teen-fiction kind of books!
Nov 05, 2011 rated it liked it
It was okay... I think the characters were a bit superficial. I know that they're 15 and 16, but this was just pushing it. Gave it a 3 because on some points it was entertaining, but it mostly bugged me. Will not be reading the sequel.
Sep 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This book isn't something I normally would have picked, but the drama and highschool thing is something that I can escape for a bit. Even though its teenage drama, sometimes even as an adult I can relate to.
Apr 05, 2008 marked it as to-read
I LOVE this book. This is a series to the books breaking up is really hard to do and the speed dating. This book talks about how these 3 girls are best friend and how they come up with this website call "the dating game" for the project.
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
As usual Emma is right. This book was dumbb. These girls are whores and there only intention is hook-Ups. That's all I got from it anyways. Then they have good boyfriends now they wanna break up with them. Just don't even waste your time.
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
I adored this entire series, it was so cute and good and I loved it. I could relate to the main characters and I thought the stories of their lives were so funny and interesting. I totally loved every book in this series. I have all of them and I'm willing to let you borrow them ;)
Katrina Knittle
When I was reading this first book I felt like all the girls were one in the same. I had a hard time separating them. This book is a cute, fluffy, entertaining read that is definitely for the younger adult's out there. The ending left it for another book, no clue on if I will ever read it.
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A cute, funny little book. It's a really light read. The three girls have such interesting stories about love that is so fitting for this age group.
 mOmO Efron
Oct 02, 2008 rated it liked it
it is a funny weird okay book
  • The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber
  • 6X: The Uncensored Confessions (6X, #1)
  • Cruel Summer (Fast Girls, Hot Boys, #1)
  • Lust (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)
  • Confessions of a Boyfriend Stealer
  • TruLeigh (Vivien Leigh Reid #1)
  • Curves & Courage (Future Alphas, #2)
  • Almost Famous (Talent, #2)
  • Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
  • bff: a girlfriend book you write together
  • Guardian (The Fallen Chronicles #1)
  • Switch
  • Top 8 (Top 8, #1)
  • Jessica's Dilemma (The Pleasure of Discretion, #1)
  • Life as a Poser (The 310, #1)
  • Waiting Fate
  • Bad Boy vs Millionaire (Bad Boy Rock Star, #2)
  • My Cup Runneth Over: The Life of Angelica Cookson Potts
Natalie Standiford, author of "How to Say Goodbye in Robot," "Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters," "The Secret Tree," "Switched at Birthday," "The Boy on the Bridge," and "The Only Girl in School," has written picture books, nonfiction, chapter books, teen novels, an entry in the 39 Clues series, and even horror novels for young adults. Standiford also plays bass in the rock band Tiger Beat, with ...more
More about Natalie Standiford...

Dating Game (6 books)
  • Breaking Up Is Really, Really Hard to Do (Dating Game, #2)
  • Can True Love Survive High School? (Dating Game, #3)
  • Ex-Rating (Dating Game, #4)
  • Speed Dating (Dating Game, #5)
  • Parallel Parking (Dating Game, #6)

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion