Start by marking “Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming” as Want to Read:
Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming

Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming

Python Crash Course is a fast-paced, thorough introduction to programming with Python that will have you writing programs, solving problems, and making things that work in no time.

In the first half of the book, you'll learn about basic programming concepts, such as lists, dictionaries, classes, and loops, and practice writing clean and readable code with exercises for each
Published December 3rd 2015 by No Starch Press (first published February 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Python Crash Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Python Crash Course

Start your review of Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming
Gavin
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book for absolute beginners. The author holds your hand and walks you through every step, so it is easy to understand and nearly impossible to get lost. I worked through the entire book and felt like I acquired a good foundation in Python programming.

I did have two minor issues with the book, though. First, the problem sets usually just have you redo examples worked through in the text with only cosmetic changes like using a longer list or calculating cubes instead of squares. While this a
Maru Kun
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
This book is a rank up on most of the Python project books that I have seen aimed at a beginner or low intermediate programmer.

It includes a selection of projects that are genuinely interesting and aimed at just the right level for a first go at data visualization, web applications and working with APIs. The web application section on Django was particularly helpful and quite inspiring in showing how to build a simple but professional looking web app. My ambition to plot Japanese ukiyoe series s
Leona
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Excellent book if you want to learn to program and you want to learn Python. Best book, I've come across for beginners. I enjoyed the exercises at the end of each chapter which helped to reinforce the content.
Alie Eldeen
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book is awesome for learning the basics of python , you will be enjoyed by learning it, at the end there are some applications you have to try to do it but there are some errors in coding so when you try to do as the writer some will not work. so my advice is to do the applications by watching videos on youtube.
Antoine Savine
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
As a professional programmer who has tried almost every book, app or web site to get my three kids interested in programming, mostly in vain, I am recommending this book, the only one that kept them interested, working hard and produced a visible progress.
Python programming is easy, so Python is an ideal language for beginners, but the installation can be a nightmare. I installed Python for the kids with Anaconda on Windows and it took my an hour to get it right with the correct version of Pytho
Aleksandra
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my goals for this year is learning something new. So I started with books about Python. I chose Python from my research on what programming language would fit me best. This was one of the two.
It is extremely comprehensive to a completely programming-illiterate person. I tried typing in everything that is given as an example, so to get a hang of typing code in general. To me writing down everything is the best way to learn, so this book was really helpful.

The projects at the end of the bo
مديحة حوري
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: بايثون
The best tutorial after finishing "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners By Al Sweigart ". Nice & Necessary 100%. Now I can create a simple game using Pygame, Make a nice & attractive data Visualization using Pygal, Matplotlib...etc; and building Web Applications with Django. It was a great journey.

أفضل برنامج تعليمي بعد الانتهاء من "أتمتة الأشياء المملة باستخدام بايثون: البرمجة العملية للمبتدئين بواسطة آل سواغر". أنيقٌ وضروري 100٪. الآن يمكنني إنشاء لع
Martin
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Probably the best introduction to the Python programming language right now.
What was interesting to me was that data structures like lists and tuples were shown before logic operators and statements. I thought this was very nice because lists take some getting used to by beginners.
The "Classes" section was also very concise and easy to follow, which is not always the case.
The "Projects" part of the book was fun to go trough and could be used as a reference for future projects.
ZhongXuan Liu
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished the first part of it in only 2 days, without the part of projects.
The publishing of the 2nd Edition is timely since Python 2 will be dead soon lol.
A very nice Python Programming book for those don't have experience in programming! As for experienced coder, IMO this seems a little bit easy for them.
Mihkel Häkkinen
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for beginners to become accustomed to Python programming language. Acts as an excellent springboard to delve onwards into more complicated topics.
Dina Ashraf
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book for anyone who wants to learn Python or Programing in general. The book is very clear and simple, it’s an amazing intro to programming. The projects are also really fun and cool.
Haydngoseek
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After two false starts using other material to learn Python, it was this book that got me actually writing useful scripts and enjoying the process. Can't do better than "it just works". Clear examples, good exercises, straightforward writing.
ryan
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Not a work of art or anything
Joe Pickert
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent resource for any beginners wishing to learn Python! The first half of the book walks the user through the various fundamentals of programming (looping, lists, functions, classes, etc) before moving on to specific projects in the second half. The book's usefulness is really dependent on the reader though, as completing the exercises in each chapter is crucial to internalizing the skills it means to teach.

My only complaint with this book is the paucity of explanation given for much of
Dia' Abujaber
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book, everything is explained in an easy, simple way. I appreciated the try-it-yourself challenges, it ensures you understand each point represented in the book. However, I wish that the author focused in only one python framework instead of giving a brief introduction for a three, so I finish the book with a confident skill in python, that might be good in some cases for some people. after all, I recommend this book for everyone who is looking for a kick-start in p ...more
Tom
Great book for beginners. I only did the first half. The second half moves into more long-term projects, but I decided to move onto a different source of projects.

The author writes very clearly and provides lots of examples. The end of chapter problems were a great way to practice what I just learned, so it wasn't just copying the author's examples.
Matt Chan
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was trying to teach myself Python and I must say that this was an amazing book to do so. Full disclosure though, prior to working on this book I did take a Coursera class (Python for Everybody) on Python, which was a decent intro and offered some accountability for me to actually learn the stuff, because there were graded assignments. That said, the pacing in this book was perfect for me, and this edition of the book was new enough that it covered very new stuff like F-string and whatnot. The ...more
Jón
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: programming
I got tired of the exercises after two chapters because they were so repetitive. A lot of the commands were not well described and I had to look up the documentation myself half of the time.
The data visualization project felt like a manual for some statistics software. I looked up YouTube tutorials on the same subject they were much more useful and interesting. The web project was alright overall. Admittedly, I skipped the video game project, but I probably didn't miss out on a lot. I had proble
Bilal
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The contents are organized into two parts: Part one goes through the language constructs, functions, classes, etc.; while part two walks one through three very different projects. If you're already familiar with object oriented programming and want to learn a new language, python in this case, then you may find this book somewhat verbose. But that just means you can skim over some or more of the text per your level of familiarity. I decided to spend some time on the last of the three projects, W ...more
Tushar
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to learn the Python language. This book is for beginners as well as intermediate learners. This book is divided into 2 sections. Section 1 is about language basics and section 2 is all about how to do projects in Python. In the projects section, you will get to know how to make a simple Alien shooter game using Pygame and Python, how to do visualization by making graphs and how to make a web application by using Django and Python. This book balances the theory and examples. ...more
Ben Gutteridge
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't actually do all of this book. I did all of the python basics and then the third of the three projects (creating a web app). It's a great book for learning python, though parts of the third project are a little out of date, and perhaps a bit too complicated - at times I thought I was mostly copying out html and not really learning python. Still would highly recommend a look and for anyone learning the basics, it really takes it at A slow pace so anyone could learn, and if you feel comfor ...more
Truc Pham
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has 2 main parts: The Basics & the Projects parts.
The Basics part is very easy to catch up. Experienced developer can finish this part in 1 day because the book laid out most of familiar concepts in a good, guessable way. Very easy to catch up for an experienced developer. But the downside is that this part doesn't reflect the Zen of Python much.
The Projects part is fun: readers will develop games, data visualization and web apps. The Web app is a very rough introduction to Django.
Very
Paul Schmidt
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author explains all the different concepts literally and basically with a overview of how you can implement that concept in different projects that is mentioned in the book. Throughout the book you will do exercises that really helps you understand each concept fully and the projects also keep these exercises comming while you are learning new stuff. The best part is when you are done with the projects and you feel that you have accomplished something outstanding even though the book has gui ...more
Randy Hines
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of intro books out there, and this is as good as any. The early chapters on installation were a little convoluted especially as the book tries to cover in detail every operating system, but if you can get past this there is a good logical flow that covers all the essentials. Finally, there are a few practical examples in the second half including basic game development (not my area but useful as a practice exercise), working with data and web development. Overall I was happy with ...more
Matt
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y-oreilly
Good, quick introduction to Python. It caters for readers that are new to programming so there are a number of areas I skipped through quickly. The way it was presented helped with understanding "the python way" and made it easier to adapt experience from other languages to python. All in all reading this book plus having a real world project to tackle made getting up to speed with python relatively painless.

The samples/projects had enough diversity that most readers will find them of interest a
Fatih
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coming-up
Good intro overall. The selection of projects are interesting, but it wasn't always easy to say which direction the projects are going while doing them step-by-step (especially with the Space Invaders and Django projects), because suddenly the author brings some new advanced functionality out of the blue. I am also not very sure if the projects in the book are the best set to introduce a beginner to Python, maybe it is more of a 'pick the ones you like'-situation here. The contents were well tho ...more
Koen Wellens
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming is a book that does exactly what the title says. It's a crash course on Python. There's the basics as well as some more advanced things. The book ends with three projects: a game, a REST API and a web application. The author even shows you how to work with some widely used frameworks.

Read the full review at my blog.
Ahmed Rashad Mohamed
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like that the fact that it explores different types of applications using python from graphs, games to basic web development using django.

One caveat is that it only scratches the surface in multiple parts but It's kind of expected from 'crash' course.

I would only recommend it for pure amateur in python but not someone who already developed with python for some time and/or read python documentations.
André Dias
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Python Crash Course is a great introductory book to the Python language. It covers the main topics of the Python Language while allowing the reader to dive into the pratical aspects of it. The projects proposed at the end of the book are very interesting and challenging, giving a light overview of the power of the language.
For people with a programming background knowledge (my case), it's quite a quick read because you often skip some basic and common content to most programming languages.
Noella
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made learning Python fun! I love the way the author wrote and explained things in a step-by-step manner and the 'Do it Yourself' exercises were excellent for revising what was introduced in each chapter. The exercises were also built upon in subsequent chapters and made me feel like I was making good progress as new concepts were introduced. I highly recommend this book for beginners like me!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
  • Learn Python 3 the Hard Way: A Very Simple Introduction to the Terrifyingly Beautiful World of Computers and Code (Zed Shaw's Hard Way Series)
  • Learning Python
  • Think Python
  • Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming
  • Python for Everybody: Exploring Data in Python 3
  • The Linux Command Line
  • JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development
  • Python for Data Analysis
  • Python Tricks: A Buffet of Awesome Python Features
  • The Self-Taught Programmer: The Definitive Guide to Programming Professionally
  • Head First Python
  • Impractical Python Projects: Playful Programming Activities to Make You Smarter
  • HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites
  • Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow
  • Black Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Pentesters
  • Data Science from Scratch: First Principles with Python

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »