Start by marking “Write It Up! Practical Strategies for Writing and Publishing Journal Articles” as Want to Read:
Write It Up! Practical Strategies for Writing and Publishing Journal Articles

Write It Up! Practical Strategies for Writing and Publishing Journal Articles

How do you write good research articles -- articles that are interesting, compelling, and easy to understand? How do you write papers that influence the field instead of falling into obscurity? Write It Up offers a practical and revealing look at how productive researchers write strong articles. The book's guiding idea is that academics should write to make an impact, not ...more
Published November 16th 2014 by American Psychological Association (APA) (first published September 1st 2014)

Be the first to ask a question about Write It Up! Practical Strategies for Writing and Publishing Journal Articles

David Lindelof
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I guess I'll just follow the author's advice and not write a book review. :-)
Vanessa Fuller
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an instructor to young (and older) PhD students, specifically providing guidance on the wonderfully wacky world of academic publishing, this book rocks.

It's not just a how-to for each individual section of a manuscript, it's also a bit like a personalised cheerleader, cutting off each objection and 'but what about' as it crops up.

Thank you, Professor Silvia, for having our instructors' backs. I'll be recommending this gem of a book to all of my students!
Ivan
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-craft
While Silvia writes for the sciences and much of what he writes is not as applicable for guys like me in the humanities, there were a few takeaways that I appreciated:

- Write to make an impact, not for mere publication.
- Realize each journal represents an audience. “By picking a few journals as you plan your research, you can craft your work and your manuscript to appeal to the audience you want to attract” (30).
- “The tone of your writing is like timbre in music, an aspect of personality that
Brien
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education, paper-book
One of the best books on writing I've read in a very long time.
Ahmet
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The excess humor should be pruned liberally out of this book in the next edition; at the beginning it is indeed fun but having to read jokes with the same monotonic style over and over gets exhausting by the end. It goes roughly like this: “Here is what you should or should not do in academic writing, and this is like the other funny thing about the furniture in my house or about my cat or whatever irrelevant wit I can think of.”

Overall, I like this book. It is full of useful information for be
Emine
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You can find good hints to write and publish your academic paper! The references in the book are useful and provide practical strategies!

Ietrio
Jun 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
Boring. Dry. Probably excellent for academic paper pusher wannabes.
Michael Scott
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! The content relates directly to publishing in my field (structural engineering) and will be useful to those publishing in any discipline of science or engineering.
Jose Silva
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book.

Good synthesis on how to write scientific papers, including ideas on how to build a research program. Strongly recommended to graduate students.
Karin
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Concise, clear, practical guide for academic writing for publishing in research journals. I’m using it and referring doctoral students to it.
Allyson
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great guide to writing a research paper-who would have thought this subject could be funny and entertaining?
Lydia
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny, interesting, helpful. This is what a book about writing should be.
Weathering
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book immediately after finishing the author's earlier work, How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing. The two books are similar in many respects; the practical advice remains much the same, but both are also written in an engaging, often funny, style which makes them easy to keep reading. Both are also very clearly written for academic psychologists, writing psychology papers for publication in psychology journals. For readers in other fields, much of the ...more
Mary Shelton
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Silvia doesn't just give practical advice; he gives examples of good and bad practices in dozens of exhibits, so you can see exactly what he's talking about. And his writing is vivid and funny.

His first writing book, How to Write a Lot, was so good that I shared it with my daughter, who writes some literary criticism but mainly fiction. She was the one who turned me on to this book. Even though Write It Up focuses on writing for science journals, most of the advice applies to writing for public
Nate Claiborne
This book is helpful with some basics and orientation to journal article writing. The actual chapters on writing articles are geared for psychology articles (which have a very specific format) and so not as useful for writing in the humanities (like biblical and theological studies). However, because of the insight on tone in writing, how to pick journals, and putting together a good introduction, it's worth checking out.
Wawan Kurn
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dapat hadiah dari salah satu dosen kampus, baca ini dan minta bantu buat jurnal. Duh, saya rasa buku ini penting. Tapi satu hal yang ingin saya catat, bahwa ada perbedaan antara peneliti di sini (Makassar, mungkin juga Indonesia) bahwa mereka membaca hanya bacaan penelitian saja, tidak membaca karya Sastra. Padahal di buku ini, penulis beberapa kali menyebut nama penulis besar yang dijadikan rujukan untuk menulis.
Yana Weinstein-Jones
Not as good as How to Write A Lot
Donna
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Helpful and provides some unique thoughts about writing even for someone who has been in academia for some time. There is actually quite a lot in the one concise guide.
Ailsa Haxell
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A particularly good section on collaborative writing and on collaborators.
vikrant gokhale
Jan 23, 2017
Melanie Brewster
May 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Becoming an Academic Writer: 50 Exercises for Paced, Productive, and Powerful Writing
  • Writing Your Journal Article in 12 Weeks: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success
  • Advice for New Faculty Members
  • From Dissertation to Book
  • Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing
  • The Literature Review: Six Steps to Success
  • Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Approaches
  • What Are Universities for?
  • Edit Yourself: A Manual for Everyone Who Works with Words
  • Track Changes: A Literary History of Word Processing
  • The Landscape of Man
  • Programming Concurrency on the JVM
  • How to Write Funny: Your Serious, Step-By-Step Blueprint For Creating Incredibly, Irresistibly, Successfully Hilarious Writing
  • Academic Writing for Graduate Students: Essential Tasks and Skills