Start by marking “Data Science at the Command Line: Facing the Future with Time-Tested Tools” as Want to Read:
Data Science at the Command Line: Facing the Future with Time-Tested Tools

Data Science at the Command Line: Facing the Future with Time-Tested Tools

This hands-on guide demonstrates how the flexibility of the command line can help you become a more efficient and productive data scientist. You'll learn how to combine small, yet powerful, command-line tools to quickly obtain, scrub, explore, and model your data.

To get you started--whether you're on Windows, OS X, or Linux--author Jeroen Janssens introduces the Data Scien
Published October 12th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published June 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Data Science at the Command Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Data Science at the Command Line

Venkatesh-Prasad
The book provides an easy and simple route to basic data analysis tasks -- scrubbing and exploration. It will be useful to readers who 1) are interested in data analysis and just getting started, 2) have been using tools such as R and Python for data analysis and have wanted simpler ways to scrub and explore data, or 3) are interested in improving your command-line chops in the context of data analysis. However, this is not the book to learn data analysis/science.

The author provides a virtualiza
Suhrob
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I use and love CLI on daily basis, but fact is that it is not suitable for most data analysis tasks.

Despite there are some tools (a few introduced in the book) to work with data, you will sooner or later (and mostly better if sooner) end up re-doing everything in python/R...

The book also did not age well...

csvkit is nowadays replaced by xsv, drake has not seen a commit since 2015 (and seems not very useful anyway).

So what you get:
- some very basic intro to relevant bash tools (curl, sed)
- some o
Pritesh Shrivastava
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I used this book as more of a guide to get familiar with the regular command line workflow. I find IDEs a much better tool for data science than a command line, as it's replroducible. But nice to know some shortcuts available in bash scripts.
Sweemeng Ng
This books is a little focused on the tools. Which is good, which also means i need to revisit the book as I explore the tool. The commandline tools introduce is very interesting. I will definitely adopt it. It just didn't bring in a lot of new idea for me.
John Alan
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book will really help you turn your command line hacking into scalable and well managed data projects.

This book isn't about BIG data, it's about getting hands on data on your desktop in a flexible, fast and fun way.
However, the Author isn't asking you to give up hadoop etc, he's asking you if you'd like another set of tools for another day.

The book is well structured, it's flow and style are good and it provides an easy read.

If you have no command line experience there's a brief intro but
Steven Pennebaker
This is an excellent book. Thorough and clear, it has enough basic information for beginners but even intermediate and advanced users will pick up plenty of new tricks. When I've had to solve these types of problems in the past, I've leaned pretty heavily on AWK and, to a lesser extent, XSL (!). This book introduced me to a bunch of utilities that were new to me and reminded me of a few old friends I haven't used in years.
Ravi Sinha
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coding, data-science, unix
Great compilation of well-known, not-so-well-known, and brand-new custom command line tools for OSEMNing with your data. Reads like a good tutorial. Could use a little bit of refinement - e.g. some commands are used multiple times before they are explained in detail. I installed the tools natively, but you can also install a VM instead. But in either case, clone the book's companion repository- it has all the data and the author-supplied command line tools.
Arthur
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a promising book, mostly for beginners, but an intermediate data scientist will find some good material to learn or will be inspired to dig into some very advanced topics.
In general having your own data science toolkit as a service as an idea is great!

The book is still in making so it only my preliminary rating.
Dgg32
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good but short demonstration of using command line tools to do data science. I have learned quite some new ideas from the book. Well worth reading.
Tihomir
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is short, but very useful book. Most of the commands are practical and can be used without a lot of adjustments. Highly recommended reading!
Guyfawk
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Graph Databases
  • Thoughtful Machine Learning with Python: A Test-Driven Approach
  • Advanced Analytics with Spark
  • Programming JavaScript Applications: Robust Web Architecture With Node, HTML5, and Modern JS Libraries
  • Python Data Science Handbook: Tools and Techniques for Developers
  • Machine Learning with R
  • Functional Programming in Java: Harnessing the Power of Java 8 Lambda Expressions
  • The Node Beginner Book
  • Hadoop Explained
  • Test-Driven Web Development with Python
  • Docker: Up & Running: Shipping Reliable Containers in Production
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to Python: Best Practices for Development
  • Think Bayes
  • I Heart Logs: Event Data, Stream Processing, and Data Integration
  • Mining the Social Web: Analyzing Data from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Other Social Media Sites
  • Cassandra: The Definitive Guide
  • Hadoop: The Definitive Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »