Start by marking “Journaling Basics - Journal Writing for Beginners (Journaling Prompts #1)” as Want to Read:
Journaling Basics - Journal Writing for Beginners (Journaling Prompts #1)

Journaling Basics - Journal Writing for Beginners

(Journaling Prompts #1)

Journaling was embraced by Leonardo da Vinci and it kept Bob Dylan's lyrics insightful. Anne Frank's journal shared poignant moments in her too-short life. Basho, the famous poet, kept a journal of his travels. Journals can help you release stress, develop forgiveness, embrace your past, adore your future, and explore aspects of your creativity that you never knew existed. ...more
Published August 6th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Journaling Basics - Journal Writing for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journaling Basics - Journal Writing for Beginners

Robert
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been keeping a journal off and on for years. I start out strong and then, WHAM! I let it go because I run out of things to write about. In this book, Lisa gives practical ideas and thoughts on this great way to clear the fog from our brains and how she does her journaling so we do not feel so alone if we are thinking about it.

The best thing about this book besides the length is the advice. I was so impressed with the simplicity that Lisa presented this with. I found it easy to think abou
Jamie Testa
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Easy read

I would recommend this short book to anyone who is thinking about writing a journal. easy to read and get an idea about how, when, why to start journaling
L. Lee Whitlock
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This little book almost feels like cheating to count it as one of my "Goodreads" books. I read it in an afternoon in January while preparing for a journaling workshop for people with cancer (Multiple Myeloma). As a basic introduction to journaling, it is excellent, but it feels more like a light meal of tapas instead of a hearty breakfast for beginners. I'll confess, however, I used several of its ideas for my workshop. I created a slide presentation that motivated a few people to start and keep ...more
Sheila May Jungco
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
For someone wants to start writing.
Maryann Moffit
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Not really a book

more like a cliff notes version, but still made me think I really could write the book I want to write
Joan
Mar 14, 2016 added it
Free. Basic. Some interesting thoughts on journaling 'your' way.
Rev. Linda
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For a Spiritual Journaling workshop at my church's Women's Conference - From the publisher: Journaling was embraced by Leonardo da Vinci and it kept Bob Dylan's lyrics insightful. Anne Frank's journal shared poignant moments in her too-short life. Basho, the famous poet, kept a journal of his travels. Journals can help you release stress, develop forgiveness, embrace your past, adore your future, and explore aspects of your creativity that you never knew existed. And the entire process is free. ...more
Freddie von Fred
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A simple, easy to read introduction on the subject of journaling. Nothing is very in depth, and you could probably get all this information and more from a few searches on Google, but it's nice to have it all in one place. Shea covers what you can write with and in/on, where you can write, and gives tips on what to write about. It's given me some ideas of things to do in future.

If you're curious about journaling and have never done it, or haven't done it in decades, it's a good place to start.

On
Amy
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for someone who wants a quick intro to journaling. She does a great job of giving the highlights of the types of journals, writing tools, and I like that she encourages you to journal how YOU want to, not beat in a prescribed method. If you want someone to tell you the "correct" way to journal, this book is not for you.
Diantika Irawadi
Although I've been journaling since I was kid, I still find this book quite helpful when you feel stuck in an old habit and need some changes. I haven't tried all the suggestions this book recommends, but I keep them in mind.
Kingue Georges
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Journaling Basics Indeed

This little book provides me with just everything I need to delve into journaling; a practice I once thought could help me, but fear would not let me enjoy it.
Susan
Short easy to read book

Most of the ideas in this book were obvious but the author still inspired me. I liked the short chapters that focused on one aspect of journaling.
Yiannis Miliatsis
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit generic and short

While it is a helpful read, it does not inspire to start keeping a journal. It is more of a catalog of all things journalling...
Sarah Spelbring
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very much beginners guide to journaling. Lisa Shea starts with what to write on, and what to write with, including electronic journals. Then she moves on to types of journals: diaries, dream journals, health logs, and so on. Then onto prompts and what to write about.

The author also throws in her thoughts and opinions, and how she uses her own journals (which I really liked).

Personally, I've been journaling since middle school and have several diaries, notebooks, journals, and notepad
MzTonka
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great ideas

I don't want to today. I just want to read a book in peace and quiet without having to think
Tasha Vance
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Okay book.

I mostly read this book because I was bored. Sadly it didn't help much with that. I didn't find any new information in this book.
Elaine Marriott
A great book if you are starting out or looking for a different way to do things.
The Library at Lilac Cottage
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: miscellaneous
Interesting.

I have been journaling for decades. This informative guide could be useful for the novice or someone just starting out.
Aevalle Galicia
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
At first, I thought this was a bit too basic but as I continued, I could definitely see the value in recommending to a tween or someone brand new to journaling. While for most people who have journaled for a bit, the info would be a review, there are some bits in there to spark a rethink of how you journal, what tools you use, when you do it, etc. Looking forward to using some of the author's writing prompts in other releases.
Jane
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
A basic but easy to read guide to journaling. What it is, what the options are, when to to it? Nothing prescriptive. Just different ideas. Also has some prompts in there to work through. It didn't take a long time to read and is probably worth that short time if you're starting off, out thinking about starting, journaling
Tanya
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
A beginner's guide to help you keep a journal. If you have no idea what you can write in your own journal, this book mentions several types of journals (diary, dream journal, weight loss journal, enterpreneur journal, pregnancy journal, etc.) and some practical tools to use. If you've already read some books featuring this topic, then you might find this book too short and simple for your liking.
Aisha
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this was an awe-inspiring read. made journaling look easy and sound fun. she provided practical tips and the writeup was easy to connect to. she has her own stand and doesn't force her ideas down your throat. Overall good read.
Deb Eastwood
Nov 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Nothing in the book new

If you need to know that you can keep a journal on any type of notebook or even a computer this book is for you. If you need to know that you can write in a journal with pencil, markers, nice pen or even colored pencil, then read this book.
Happy Reading
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Easily written

Great variety and inspiration. I read this book out of curiosity but would recommend it to others. Learned tricks that I'd definitely use.
Patti
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting. This covers basic journal writing techniques and themes. It's more than the "diary" you may have kept in earlier years. Good source for beginners.
Meredith
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lisa-shea
I thought the book was very useful in helping me to understand journaling. The author also gave suggestions of topics to start a journal with.
Isabella
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Many good ideas for journaling. Well written
Roland Martinez
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I expected a lot more. This is beyond basics. This is journaling for people who have never heard of journaling.
Megan
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Too beginner.
Mitzi
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it
An OK introduction to Journaling, probably best for those who have no previous experience at all. Very short, kind of like an extended blog post.
Goodreads Librari...: New Books in Journaling Series 2 12 Mar 11, 2015 08:26PM
  • Four Seasons of Creative Writing: 1,000 Prompts to Stop Writer's Block
  • Mugging the Muse
  • Writing Vivid Settings: Professional Techniques for Fiction Authors (Writer's Craft Book 10)
  • The 12 Key Pillars of Novel Construction: Your Blueprint for Building a Strong Story (The Writer's Toolbox Series)
  • She Sat He Stood: What Do Your Characters Do While They Talk?
  • How To Write A Novel The Easy Way Using The Pulp Fiction Method To Write Better Novels: Writing Skills
  • 101+ Creative Journaling Prompts: Inspiration for Journaling and an Introduction to Art Journaling
  • The Mental Game of Writing: How to Overcome Obstacles, Stay Creative and Productive, and Free Your Mind for Success
  • Fool Proof Outline: A No-Nonsense System for Productive Brainstorming, Outlining, & Drafting Novels
  • MASTER LISTS FOR WRITERS: Thesauruses, Plots, Character Traits, Names, and More
  • Writing the Cozy Mystery
  • Structuring Your Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Building Strong and Successful Stories
  • DIY MFA: Write with Focus, Read with Purpose, Build Your Community
  • Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day
  • Write That Book Already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • 1,000 Awesome Writing Prompts
  • The Motivation Switch: 77 Ways to Get Motivated, Avoid Procrastination, and Achieve Success
Lisa Shea is a fervent fan of honor, loyalty, and chivalry. She brings to life worlds where men and women stand shoulder to shoulder, steady in their desire to make the world a better place for all. Most of her profits are donated to support battered women's shelters.

Lisa's works are all cleanly written with no explicit intimacy and little language. They are suitable for teens and up.

Lisa has writ

Journaling Prompts (9 books)
  • Journaling Prompts: Gratitude (Journaling with Lisa Shea #2)
  • Journaling Prompts: Self-Esteem (Journaling with Lisa Shea #4)
  • Journaling Prompts - Procrastination
  • Journaling Prompts: Love and Romance (Journaling with Lisa Shea #3)
  • Journaling Prompts: Getting Over a Breakup
  • Journaling Prompts: Money and Financial Health (Journaling with Lisa Shea #5)
  • Journaling Prompts: Weight Loss (Journaling with Lisa Shea #7)
  • Journaling Prompts: Forgiveness (Journaling with Lisa Shea #7)
“A book is simply the container of an idea – Like a bottle, what is inside the book is what matters. -- Angela Carter   A” 0 likes
“Pet Journal If you have a pet, then I highly recommend you keep a pet journal for that pet. I find it best to have a small spiral notebook right by the cage, tank, or other area associated with the pet. That way you can make notes about what they’re eating, how they are doing, and anything else you wish to track. Often pets will hide illnesses as part of their self-defense mechanism. You’ll only notice subtle changes in their eating or movement patterns. The more you make daily notes, the more likely you are to spot those changes.” 0 likes