Start by marking “The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1-3)” as Want to Read:

The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

(The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant #1-3 omnibus)

The magnificent saga of Thomas Covenant continues in Stephen Donaldson's highly acclaimed second epic fantasy trilogy, together in one volume.
Published 1994 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, please sign up.
Kristian Petersen He is self-aware of a fixation with prose, read any of his intros or discourses on his works for support. I am fine with this as his reaching for a…moreHe is self-aware of a fixation with prose, read any of his intros or discourses on his works for support. I am fine with this as his reaching for a prosaic way to phrase things has the net effect of enriching one's vocabulary.(less)

Szplug
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the Second Chronicles even more than I did the first, as the conceit of Foul's millennia-in-the-making plan to bleach the Land of its inherent Earthpower through the Sunbane—and administered through the banefire auspices of the Gibbon-Raver-led Clave—as a corruption stemming from Foul's original defeat by TC proved to be, for me, an effective, even enhancing twist to the series. Furthermore, in addition to the self-loathing and lacerating personality of the eternally-tormented and lepr ...more
Kostas
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Following the award-winning first trilogy, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever, that gave birth to his cynical protagonist, bringing through his ideas, writing and imagination an – up to that time – more mature aspect in the fantasy genre, as well as a big success that marked his career from then on, Stephen R. Donaldson returns to the magical world of the Land, travelling us in The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the second omnibus volume of the titular series collecting the ...more
Sim
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Finally finished it after almost 3 months. It is a nice story, but sometimes it tends to draw out the feelings of the characters a bit too much, eventhough its a big part of the storyline itself as well. Sometimes the same things are repeated too much to the point of boredom. Had quite a few times that i had to put the book away as my eyes just did no longer want to read the repetitive phrases about how they felt.. and that while thee was action going on at the same time... I did like the ending ...more
Abe Ofarrell
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In this second trilogy chronicling the adventures of the leper Thomas Covenant we see a very much transformed man. With passion and determination Covenant uses all he has to weild the wild magic in order to bring down the Despiser. His job is difficult, the land now twisted beyond all imagining and all those he loved having passed away millenium ago, but now he finds new friends and is accompanied by Linden, a doctor from the real world.

Although very different from the first trilogy, I cannot re
Rick
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Soooo much better than the first trilogy and the ending is one of the best. I loved virtually everything about the series. I will never be a fan of the degree to which Donaldson luxuriates in the emotional issues of his characters, myes, I know that's part of building character depth, but there are limits. In this way, he's like a dog with a bone ... He won't let it lie.

But it's still one of my favorite settings and stories ever and well worth the read.
Rob Hermanowski
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The second series of this masterful fantasy epic was equally enjoyable for me, though many people despised the character of Linden Avery, who plays a prominent role in this trilogy. I liked her, though, and was very sorry to see the series end. Fortunately, Donaldson is continuing on with the four book "Last Chronicles"!
Jur9en
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The second series play out several thousand years later.
Everything is different: a shock, but then the story sucks you in again, totally.

"Existentialist fantasy.
Cleverly written.
Brutal and dark." (copied)
Add: Epic.
Robin
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just like the first series, the main character is so incredibly unlikable. He gives a whole new meaning to reluctant hero. Half the time I just wanted to smack him. That being said, the series is brilliant.... and depressing
keatssycamore
Sep 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: The recently divorced
I like how awful everything is for that leper. I empathize with all his suffering. And it seems to me that a lot of his problem is that he needed to get laid again. White Gold Wielder, indeed!
Mikael Onsjö
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
yeas, they are as good as the first ones!
Gareth
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
No so bad now, Mr Covenant needs less of a slapping as he takes Linden and the Giants on a quest for The One Tree. You gotta love the giants. It's probably the law.
Stuart
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: epic-fantasy
A fairly frustrating retread of the far superior first trilogy, with the main character becoming more whiny and unsympathetic.
Joshbgosh
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first trilogy but still amazing!
Ed
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This series is an absolute brutal onslaught.
Not brutal in that there's a tonne of blood and gore, but brutal in that it extracts a toll on the characters and on the reader, relentlessly, and refuses to give up. Every time the characters groan at the injustice of the world; at the next impasse they are impossibly thrust up against; I groan with them and feel my soul eroded just that tiny bit further. I feel despite growing within me as surely as Thomas Covenant himself must.
Thesis and antithesis
Mr Richard
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Didn’t enjoy this as much as the first series but still a brilliant book.
Jeroen Van de Crommenacker
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Still great reading, although perhaps it starts to get a bit tiring in places because it is so incredibly long.
Jacob
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant picks up about 10 years after the events of The First Chronicles, but 3,500+ years have passed within the Land. In that time, much has happened – which I won’t spoil – but suffice to say it’s not good.

I wondered if SRD would be able to keep the story fresh or if this would simply be a lame rehash of the events in the First Chronicles. I am pleased to say, it was wonderfully done and more than met the high standard I’ve come to expect from Donaldson’s writ
Geoff Greaves
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was a slog, as you can probably tell from the time it took me to read the thing. I had a similar issue with the First Chronicles but have all three trilogies purchased, so I will get through them at some stage. Now I'm done with this one I need a break but I have some motivation to complete the series with the second half of this trilogy starting to pique my interest. I still think that it could have been completed in half the amount of pages, with half the drama to still be a good book.
Tom
Feb 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
See my review of the first Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (I haven't figure out how to arrange books on this site yet). The second series is in the same universe, where the situation has only become more desperate.
Tom Dicosola
I actually didn't finish the book - I powered through the first one, and picked this one up hoping it would be a bit less dragging (in the sense of the story pacing and the overall feeling).

I was disappointed - it is slow and just as depressing as the first; I just couldn't slog through this one.
Esther
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Unlike the first Chronicles, this is really one long story. Covenant is an actual person in these books, perhaps because of his position relative to Linden Avery. Donaldson still reads much like an anime show sounds, though; so much happens at top emotional pitch.
David
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great storytelling. Great characters. Yes, even, and especially, Thomas Covenant.
Ice Bear
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The books were good, not quite reaching the standard of the first triology, but more understandable than the last set.
A.
Apr 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
I promptly tossed all the books in the "donate someplace else" box. Some of the worst books I ever read.
Emily
Dec 28, 2008 added it
My parents were obsessed with these books when they first met. They fashioned their wedding rings based on the books.
Guido
Feb 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Much the same as the first chronicles, incredibly gloomy and despairing novel, loosely based on the Tolkien template. Yes, a fairly riveting read. But how depressing...
Suhail Manzoor
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Once I had read the first omnibus, I just had to read the second. Its as good if not better than the first.
Leeanna
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really loved the second half of the Chronicles- it was at times frustrating, challenging, and emotional reading these books, but that's what makes them so good.
Jeremy Brooks
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
An outstanding follow up to the first trilogy. Donaldson is a master of description and the story is always compelling.
Linda Eller
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can barely put it down as my eyes tell me it. It is compelling yet sorrowful as I am in the beginnings of the book.

• The Second Chronicles of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #6-10)
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • Distant Stars
  • The First Named (Servants of Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • The History of the Runestaff
  • The Sword of Attila: A Novel of the Last Years of Rome
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • The Heretic Kings (The Monarchies of God, #2)
  • The Next Set (Thursday Next, #1-4)
  • Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)
  • The Four Lords of the Diamond (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #1-4)
  • The War of Powers
  • Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)
  • The World Is Made of Glass
  • Durdane
  • The Second Book of Lankhmar  (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #5-7)
  • Kiss, Kiss ; Over to You ; Switch Bitch ; Someone Like You ; Four Tales of the Unexpected ; My Uncle Oswald
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #2 (Wheel of Time, #4-6)
Stephen Reeder Donaldson is an American fantasy, science fiction, and mystery novelist; in the United Kingdom he is usually called "Stephen Donaldson" (without the "R"). He has also written non-fiction under the pen name Reed Stephens.

EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION:

Stephen R. Donaldson was born May 13, 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio. His father, James, was a medical missionary and his mother, Ruth, a prostheti

The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (3 books)
  • The Wounded Land (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1)
  • The One Tree (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #2)
  • White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3)
“...are you a person - with volition and maybe some stubborness and at least the capacity if not the actual determination to do something surprising - or are you a tool? A tool just serves its user. It's only as good as the skill of its user, and its not good for anything else. So if you want to accomplish something special - something more than you can do for yourself - you can't use a tool. You have to use a person and hope the surprises will work in your favor. You have to use something that's free to not be what you had in mind.” 8 likes