Start by marking “Modern PHP: New Features and Good Practices” as Want to Read:
Modern PHP: New Features and Good Practices

Modern PHP: New Features and Good Practices

PHP is experiencing a renaissance, though it may be difficult to tell with all of the outdated PHP tutorials online. With this practical guide, you'll learn how PHP has become a full-featured, mature language with object-orientation, namespaces, and a growing collection of reusable component libraries.

Author Josh Lockhart--creator of PHP The Right Way, a popular initiative
Published March 1st 2015 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Modern PHP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern PHP

Evan Carroll
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
I feel I am the ideal audience for this; the last book about PHP I read was on PHP4, as well as the last code base I worked on. A lot of the book feels wasted, and even more is questionably sound. That said, I did take away something from this book. I have no reason to doubt the author's intentions in writing it.

To talk about things I liked, Chapter 10 on Testing, the content on Filters, the mention of the Built in PHP Server, Date Handling, Component Set Up, and style-guide explanations which t
Shaher Jamal Eddin
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book for a person who is done with basics/foundation of PHP and yet confused with:
1- What the online communities/forums discussions are all about.
2-The advanced techniques of PHP (codes example... etc.)
As this book will give the reader a direct explanation about the different aspects of the new development practices and put them all together (provides a simplified version of the big picture). Moreover I found the writer's way of explaining understandable and reader-friendly!. an
Ahmad  H.
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
إن كنت ماتزال عالقا في “ العهد القديم “ من البرمجة - إن صحّت التسمية - فهذا الكتاب يناسبك.

يستعرض الكتاب أهم الخصائص التي أضيفت إلى بي إتش بي مؤخرا، تحديدا ما بعد الإصدار 5.3، ثم يحدثك عن ثورة المعايير وكيف كانت سببا في تطور برمجيات ومجتمع البي إتش بي.

بعد الانتهاء من قراءة الكتاب، ستكون لديك المعرفة الكافية لبناء برامج باستخدام العناصر/المكونات المطورة من قِبل مبرمجين آخرين، وكذلك بناء وتطوير عناصرك/مكوناتك الخاصة، بمعنى آخر، ستخرج من قفص التفكير داخل حدود “ فريمورك “ ما.

الكتاب مختصر، ستحتاج في ب
Patrick Gilmour
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential Reading for Old School PHP Cobblers

If you’ve learned PHP over the years, picking up knowledge here and there, and mainly sticking to procedural coding and get-by solutions, this book is *the* book you need to learn about modern PHP coding and practices. Clear, comprehensive, expertly written and even witty in places, it really will transform your approach to PHP coding for the better.
AJ Michels
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-copies
Overall I think this was a good book with lots of useful information for a particular audience. Unfortunately I discovered I am not part of that audience. There was no new information in this book for me. If you have experience with PHP but have been away from it for the past 5 years or if you have been stuck working on old code and for some reason haven’t been investing in your career, you should check out this book.
Will Hines
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Content is terrific: modern, practical. The Features and Good Practices chapters are so valuable. Writing is a little verbose. Caught me up on several things I did not know about: traits, composer, autoloading.
Philip
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Highly recommend for any aspiring PHP developer.
José Moreira
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kind of superficial on some topics and excessive installation guides. Was expecting a more advanced book.
Axel
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-reference
Excellent "talk" about the new momentum that is gaining PHP and the PHP Community. Great starting point (getting deep insight into this many topics the book covers would need a book of 1000+ pages) for all things related to PHP development and the "modernization" that is thriving around PHP.
Li Zhineng
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shijia
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PHP coders
Recommended to Shijia by: Ah... Good question.
Revealing a modernized PHP world, this fantastic book has greatly broadened my horizon.

To my surprise, this book is quite easy to understand as long as you know a bit of PHP. Descriptions are always accompanied by sample code, which I found extremely useful.

Despite sharing the newest syntax and components, it has demonstrated how modern tools like composer (as package manager) and more could simplify our development process. Testing, deploying and further tips are also introduced as essential sk
Eva 'Nomad'
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-books
If you are looking to start with PHP or deepen your knowledge, this is not a book for you.

If you have been sleeping under a rock during the last 5 years and want to know what is new and exciting in PHP, compare notes about good practices or read some tutorials, that you can otherwise find on the Internet - go ahead!.

My version of the book is of 2015 and does not include much about PHP 7.0.

3.5/5
JAZIEL LOPEZ
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you want to know if you are coding modern PHP?

More than an impersonal bulleted list of PHP guidelines this book is the author opinions of many advanced topics, best practices, and dev ops tips for deploying and improve a PHP application. Definitely is not an PHP beginner book; one thing though is that as of 2016 PHP7 is already out and not much is discussed here except for the comparison to HHVM.
Camilo
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I kind of already knew a lot of the stuff in it, so I didn't get as much out of it as I wanted. If I'd picked it up before I went to a few SunshinePHP conferences, though, it would have melted my brain. If you're a PHP dev in the procedural PHP world or making the same old wordpress theme again and again, pick it up and catch up quickly with this book.
Alyaksei
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main audience of this book are programmers with one or two years of experience who stuck in the PHP 5.3 era and want to learn something new. Actually, it's not all about new features in PHP, but it was the really first BOOK I've read about PSR, hhvm and Composer. Hope there will be the second edition with php7/ZE3 features.
David
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
a fantastic book, highly recommend it for anyone wanting to get up to speed with recent changes, tools and practices. It's really useful for programmers who have been programming for some time but not keeping up to date.
Muhammad Hakim Asy'ari
not book php as language per se, it quite refreshing my knowledge about current php (component, composer, PHP-FiG, PHP PSR, best practices, etc), after not involve with php based project since a decade a go.

oh by the way, I read 2nd edition
Alessandro Pellizzari
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e, handbook, php, programming, web
Ottimo manuale per capire come è cambiato il mondo PHP negli ultimi 4-5 anni, e soprattutto per aggiornarsi ai nuovi strumenti.

L'unico difetto è forse che non scende troppo nei dettagli, ma molti degli argomenti richiederebbero un manuale a parte per ognuno.
Juancarlos Cruz
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's a good introduction to modern techniques, obviously is not a deep compendium, but offers a really good introduction to all the aspects about the PHP World nowadays.
Totally recommended for beginners.
Jim
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good intro to stuff like Composer and PSR and basic toolsets. If you don't know what those are or don't understand them, this is for you. If you do, you don't need this book.
Amir Rahafrouz
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web
Fluent
Roberto Chavez
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Acceptable description for the new stuff in pup 5.6. Nice sets of links are buried in the text, so you'll have to work to get them.
Madalin Ignisca
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: php, web-development
It made me understand better what has changed in the last few years and better practices in doing custom applications.
Gaurav Grover
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These are one of the classic must reads for all the modern php devs
Shahriar Mahmood
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good book for beginners in PHP. It briefs best practices in PHP quite well.
Odlaw
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great overview of the modern PHP practices. It points you to what you should be learning and using, and gives you a brief but useful introduction to the topics.
Dele Omotosho
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I think this is targeted more towards PHP newcomers
Dennis Giemsch
Oct 07, 2017
Cata
Sep 01, 2015
Patricia Dumond
May 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• PHP Objects, Patterns, and Practice
  • Elasticsearch: The Definitive Guide: A Distributed Real-Time Search and Analytics Engine
  • Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • AngularJS
  • Speaking JavaScript
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World
  • Test-Driven Web Development with Python
  • JavaScript Allongé: A strong cup of functions, objects, combinators, and decorators
  • Mobile Design Pattern Gallery: UI Patterns for Mobile Applications
  • REST API Design Rulebook
  • You Don't Know JS: this & Object Prototypes

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »