Start by marking “Macbeth” as Want to Read:
Macbeth

Macbeth

(Graphic Classics)

Shakespeare's classic story of dark ambition, madness, and murder springs to life in a masterful new graphic novel by Gareth Hinds.

Set against the moody backdrop of eleventh-century Scotland, Gareth Hinds’s captivating, richly illustrated interpretation takes readers into the claustrophobic mind of a man driven mad by ambition. An evil seed takes root in the mind of Macbet
Published February 10th 2015 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Macbeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Macbeth

David Schaafsma
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-lit-based, plays
Gareth Hinds has made a name for himself in the world of comics adaptations of classic literature. I first read his Beowulf, which I liked very much, then moved on to his Romeo and Juliet and others. This may be the best of them that he has done thus far. I say this as a fan of Macbeth, protective of its legacy. Hinds researched the history of the play and the historic representation of Scotland and Scottish history in doing this ambitious work. His artwork and integrity stand out in a somewhat ...more
Sud666
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, comics
Shakespeare and comics don't usually tend to go together. Or do they? My preconceived notions have been demolished by this very nice graphic novel. Gareth Hinds freely admits that he did have to abridge the story for this format. He also uses normal prose instead of iambic pentameter. The rythm is maintained though, the author felt that removing the line breaks made for a smoother read. I can not disagree.

Is this for someone who wants to read the full play? No. Is this for someone who loves Macb
Beth
Comics are real reading. End of story. If you're horrified by the idea of a student reading a graphic novel version of a Shakespeare play, would you rather they not understand it at all? The visual element adds much needed scaffolding to readers who don't have the background knowledge to fully immerse themselves in the text.

If I had been able to read this graphic novel adaptation of Macbeth when I was in high school, I might have actually somewhat understood and taken an interest the story. As
David Sarkies
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tragedy
The Graphic Novel
24 March 2017

I’ve just discovered this amazing new website. It’s called Reddit. Okay, I’m sure many of you have already head of it, or are probably even users as well, it is just that while I had heard of it, and even visited it on occasion, I never really appreciated how useful it is until much more recently. In a way it is like Facebook, but your posts are not only anonymous, but you basically interact with everybody in the community you are posting, and you aren’t bugging you
Jeff Zell
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
What a way to introduce a person to Macbeth! Hinds uses Shakespeare's language. He vividly depicts the characters and scenes. The witches are three different kinds. He visually captures the madness of Macbeth as he grows paranoid and has hallucinations. At the end of the book Hinds puts the story in the context of Scotland. Great read! Great images!
Mr. C
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
An absolutely fabulous adaptation of Macbeth. Obviously (and Hinds even specifically states this in the afterword/notes segment), this plays second fiddle to the "authentic" Shakespearean tome, but as an addendum (and a fun quick revisitation of a text I have taught to senior English classes for years) or as a companion piece, really quite fun. The dynamics and complexity of Macbeth / Lady Macbeth's relationship (I wanted Lady Macbeth to appear a bit more convincingly maniacal, especially in the ...more
American Mensa
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book, MacBeth by Gareth Hinds is a graphic novel adapted and illustrated from the play Macbeth by Shakespeare. The book is very entertaining and fun to read because it takes an old tale and turns it into a new, fun adventure. It lets you have a deep understanding of the characters and gives an image of everything that's happening. The pictures are very intricate and a lot of fun to look at. You can tell the illustrator/author put a lot of time and effort into making each character and scene ...more
Dolly
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
This adaptation of William Shakespeare's popular play is terrific - atmospheric, dramatic, and yet not overly graphic in the violence displayed.

The pencil, ink wash and digital media illustrations are very nicely detailed and really help to convey the emotions and the meaning of the words, which can be very helpful for those who are not comfortable reading Mr. Shakespeare's words alone.

In addition, the maps, historical notes, and notes on the text and illustrations are very helpful to put the
L.E. Fidler
I teach sophomores in high school.

One group was slogging their way through the full text...they weren't engaging and it was taking forever to get through a scene.

Taking a chance, I pulled out a class set of these graphic novels and we started reading through them. Kids suddenly became more engaged. They understood what was going on. And, perhaps the highest compliment, one student asked to borrow the book over winter break in order to "see what happens."

I'll always love this book for that reaso
CD
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The classic Shakespeare-an tale. End notes that are more about the graphic novel in some cases than the story.
Gary Anderson
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Gareth Hinds graphic novel version of Macbeth is extraordinary. The graphic novel format allows Hinds to absorb Macbeth's compressed time, hallucinatory (or are they?) visions, gory scenes, and blood-soaked imagery and present them in dramatic, colorful scenes.

Thankfully, Hinds also respects Shakespeare's language. Comic balloons do not always play well with iambic pentameter, and Hinds has abandoned Shakespeare's line breaks for the most part. Although some scenes and monologues retain Sha
Nicola Mansfield
This is my third classic graphic novel adaptation by Hinds and I adore his work. I've done a little research on him and can't find any indications that he's studied or is an expert in classic/ancient literature. However, this is his works' specialty in graphic novels and his introductions and back matter notes on historical references, notes on his adaptations and page by page annotations on his choices show both a scholarly familiarity with the work and an intense research of the subject. I've ...more
Grace
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Macbeth was so dark :o
Chrissy
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, review
Loved this - what a great way to experience Shakespeare! This adaptation isn't a complete version, but has all the plot, and all of the best lines that you should know from this play. Shakespeare should be seen on stage, but this is a next best thing - a visual to help you with who is talking and what is taking place, with the added benefit of being able to stop and reread! Some great pictures - the witches, the visions, the ghosts!
Vicki Cline
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a graphic novel version of Shakespeare's Macbeth. The artist has done a wonderful job of illustrating the various parts of the play. The three witches in particular are very good. Naturally, he's trimmed some of the dialog but all of the memorable lines are there. He's also included some endnotes on some of the panels which are very interesting. I'm looking forward to his other adaptations of classic literature.
Melle
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like Game of Thrones
A gorgeous, glorious graphic adaptation of one of William Shakespeare's best tragedies. Much of the play's dialog is kept but is played out in detailed, almost-fairytale-like illustrations. Would be a great introduction to the Bard or a great way to give visual learners another way to experience Macbeth.
James
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to James by: Jim
Shelves: fiction, art
Not a bad introduction to Macbeth, the arts pretty good and trimming by the author left the core of the play intact. It is easier to read than the original, the breaking up of the text by the panels helps give it a play-like rhythm, playing to the strength of a graphic novel.
Jim
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-npl
This is the right mix of graphic novel & play . Each part is not overpowering the other.

Fermin Liborio
he kill king because he want be to king. but they war for king he lost. give other king make they good.
Erin Kahn
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yeah. It was awesome.
Troy
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
MacBeth is easily my favorite Shakespeare work and Gareth Hinds does a very nice job with the iconic story in his graphic novel effort on the tale. He stays very close Shakespeare’s original story line and provides explanation at the end to where he took a few liberties and his reasoning behind them.

Have always felt that Lady MacBeth was one of the more interesting characters in the story for me personally and Hinds graphic depiction of her is excellent. From when she first appears in the story,
Jake
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another stunning rendition by Gareth Hinds. His graphic novel of Shakespeare's Macbeth is stunning. From the three weird sisters, to the forest of Birnam, Hinds creates the perfect panel for each scene of Macbeth. This is another great example for a supplemental texts that can be used in class. This graphic novel is perfect for helping students better understand Shakespeare and his language.

Even though there are a few good movies and many great plays of Macbeth, the graphic novel is the perfect
Sujit Nair
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better to be a Socrates dissatisfied than to be a pig satisfied. - John Stuart Mill.

Bouncing off of that notion, Gareth has been instrumental in bringing classics and graphic novels together at a crossroads wherein students would be interested in picking them up. For each time I read Shakespeare in high school, I would be lingering on the grounds of boredom, confronting an otherwise alien language while simultaneously dealing with a literal excruciating pain in my prefrontal cortex.

Thanks to G
Terri Arain
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had this version of Macbeth when I was in high school. Hinds tried to stay in keeping with iambic rhythm but thought it best to remove line breaks and contractions in order to make it easier to read without sacrificing the power of Shakespeare's writing.

I would recommend this book to all middle grade and high school English teachers. Not only will it give the students a great understanding of the play through the graphics and adapted dialogue, but also through the extended learning mate
Shelli
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most beautifully illustrated graphic novel adaptations of William Shakespeare’s work. I loved the author’s attention to detail and dedication to research about the time and locations being depicted. He generously goes into detail able some of these particulars in the afterword, something readers should not overlook. That being said this was a scaled down version of the play and while it helps to make the story into a visual one some of the language and complicated story-lines ...more
Carrie G
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Gareth Hinds just does such an amazing job with his literary text adaptations! The artwork in this graphic novel is AMAZING! (So good that we did several lessons on analyzing artwork while reading this for class!) I also appreciate that Hinds keeps the actual Shakespearean text, but pares it down to make it more manageable. This is an EXCELLENT option to use with students who still need a little support while reading Shakespeare!
Anna-Catherine Kueng
I recently graduated from high school and we had read “Macbeth” in my AP Literature class. Since I am familiar with the play, the graphic novel was enjoyable and a quick read for me. It left out several minor details, but it still gave a great summary of the play by hitting the “high points.” The illustrations were awesome and very fitting with the lines. I would recommend this graphic novel to those who are already familiar with “Macbeth” or wish to get a better understanding of it.
Gary
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gareth Hinds includes notes at the end. He explains why he cuts several scenes from the graphic novel. High schools students beware, this graphic novel does not give you the complete Shakespeare play. The notes explain how the weapons should look like. The notes, also, adds some history about Scotland and England during the 11th century.
It was a fun read.
Fagshelf
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good art-style, and the original text kept (greatly shortened, but I feel to a good effect, especially if this is meant for use in the education of children). I'm not a fan of some of the notes at the end. Wicca is a modern religion, not sure how mixing it up with either Shakespeare's era or Macbeth's old Scottish era seemed a good idea in explaining things in the notes.
Frederick Tan
A graphic rendition of Shakespeare's classical play Macbeth. The author tried to stick to the original iambic parameter verse. However, due to the short dialogue bubble he has to take some liberty with the language. In a way, it makes it easy for normal people like me easy to swallow the book. This is the first time I finish Macbeth.
« previous 1 3 next »
Gaithersburg Book...: 2015 Author Gareth Hinds on You Tube 1 1 Feb 10, 2017 09:15AM
2017 Reading Chal...: Macbeth by Gareth Hinds 1 16 Sep 12, 2015 06:08PM

• Above the Dreamless Dead: World War I in Poetry and Comics
  • Witch Water (Witch Saga, #2)
  • The Norton Sampler: Short Essays for Composition
  • Lost Soul, Be At Peace
  • Unicorn Crossing (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #5)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel
  • The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue (The Contract With God Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet, #1)
  • A Horse Called Hero
  • Baltimore, Vol. 4: Chapel of Bones
  • Algeria Is Beautiful Like America
  • Terrorist: Gavrilo Princip, the Assassin Who Ignited World War I
  • Babymouse #20: Babymouse Goes for the Gold
  • Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)
  • The Great War: Stories Inspired by Items from the First World War
  • Like Never and Always
  • Tales from Shakespeare
  • Iceberg, Right Ahead! The Tragedy of the Titanic
Gareth Hinds is the creator of critically-acclaimed graphic novels based on literary classics, including Beowulf (which Publisher’s Weekly called a “mixed-media gem”), King Lear (which Booklist named one of the top 10 graphic novels for teens), The Merchant of Venice (which Kirkus called “the standard that all others will strive to meet” for Shakespeare adaptation), The Odyssey (which garnered fou ...more

Graphic Classics (8 books)
  • Beowulf