Start by marking “Linux Kernel Development ” as Want to Read:
Linux Kernel Development

Linux Kernel Development

The Linux kernel is one of the most important and far-reaching open-source projects. That is why Novell Press is excited to bring you the second edition of Linux Kernel Development, Robert Love's widely acclaimed insider's look at the Linux kernel. This authoritative, practical guide helps developers better understand the Linux kernel through updated coverage of all the ma

Paperback, 2nd edition, 432 pages
Published January 22nd 2005 by Novell Press (first published September 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Linux Kernel Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linux Kernel Development

Enikő
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have been always fascinated with operating systems. After majoring computer science and still not knowing the inside of them, I felt like a joke. So after reading the Code and this, and various other books too, I am coming closer to understanding the inner workings of the hard parts of software architectures.

I have read this book, and currently reading it second time. There is really a lot of interesting things going under the cover. I was in love with CFS and other terms which was always ali
Chris Tierney
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read this as a book club on our dev team. It was well written and approachable for an advanced developer. Great survey of Linux Internals and reads like a book. There are even a few jokes in here! I tried reading similar books, and this one just kind of stuck.
Dave
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I've been somewhat of a novice kernel hacker for many years now and the few pieces of the kernel that I can say that I understand very well have been small, hard-won victories for me. There are a number of Linux kernel books out there, and most novice hackers will find, as I have, that it's very difficult to just go in "cold" and learn about a specific kernel subsystem from these books. Books like "Linux Kernel Internals", "Understanding the Linux Kernel" and "Understanding the Linux Virtual Mem ...more
Arvydas Sidorenko
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
Developing an operating system is hard and so is the material in this book. It is rather technical and doesn't really explain the concept very well. If you have prior experience in BSD or equivalent kernel development, then it will be a peace of cake. The author tends to throw some kernel specific features "A" at you explaining how it is implemented in Linux and expecting that you have the common sense to figure that every kernel has to have feature "A".
Kam Yung Soh
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computing, reference
Good intro to Linux Kernel newbies who want to know how the kernel works and how to modify it.

Best used while cross-referencing with current Kernel documentation so you know what in the book is obsolete/deprecated and what APIs have been changed or introduced.
Mosab
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second time to read this book this year. A lot of dots have been connected!
Ryan McCoppin
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the best Linux Kernel books when it comes to understanding as well as implementation. He breaks down the complexity of the kernel into simple components that any computer science major can understand. He discusses each concept from an operating systems class and breaks them down to how they are implemented in the kernel. From processes, synchronization techniques, to sysfs, drivers, and even various data structures that are already implemented in the kernel; and more importantly h ...more
Kushagra Misra
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice book give u a clear picture of Linux kernal... Must read for all engineers
Ryan Frantz
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dated by now but this book still provides lots of useful context about Linux kernel internals.
Innocent Samuel
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading is knowledge and wisdom
Elie De Brauwer
This is the second time I'm reading this book and this book is *#$*!ing awesome. Although this book is a first edition (I believe a 3rd edition is available nowadays) this book still applies (partly because Linux is still in a 2.6.x compatible version, it would probably have been a different story if this edition was published in the 2.4.x era) to today's reality AND it's just a pleasure to read this book. It only happens in very rare occasions that an author is capable to describe a technical s ...more
Marshall
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great reference manual for Linux APIs. The chapters are laid out so that readers can ease into the complex subject of Operating System. The book serves as an important source for my Operating System class, and it helps me understand how different pieces fit together.

Linux Kernel code base is big, lack of clear structure to beginners. The book explains in details how each pieces fit together, the functions of each API calls. It is a great book to have by desk for people who do low-
Manavendra Manav
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linux
Very good book for beginners to understand the Linux kernel API's and mechanisms. It has a good complete chapter devoted to Bottom Halves mechanisms like SoftIRQ, Tasklets, Work queues, etc. A must read for Linux enthusiasts. However, it lacks exercises and some text is old (2.6.xx) as compared to the rapidly changing Linux kernel versions (3.16.xx). Looking forward to buy the 4th edition.
Terry Wang
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: terry
Excellent book even if you are NOT a kernel developer, it really helped me to understand how the Linux kernel works and solved a lot of my misunderstandings (dentries, path, buffer/page cache etc.).

Process Management, scheduling, System calls, MM, VFS, Block I/O layer, Process Address Space, Page Cache and Page Writeback, Modules, Debugging, these chapters are brilliant.
Laurent
Not much difference with the previous edition. A good high level book. The author could have given credit where credit is due for some of the work done around the scheduler.
Justin
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
overall, it was a good book. the chapters about VFS and the bloxk IO layer were xonfusing, though. one thing I would like to see is a chapter on turning the kernel/system on/off and reboot ing.
Bob Hancock
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Best explanation of the Linux scheduler and multi-level feedback queue.
Srivatsan
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Anyone with basics, I would personally recommend to first start with this book and then to more advanced material.
Barry
Feb 22, 2011 marked it as to-read-technical
There is a 3rd edition - read that!
Prasanna
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: linux-kernel
It is one of my favorite book on understaning Linux kernel. Though this book is not begginers.
Rahul Iyer
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great read. Concise enough that it covers all the high level concepts equipping one to dive into the code.
Liberty
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only book I can read through about Linux kernel. It is a very very fun journal through a more updated kernel!
Zack
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the best technical book ever written
Alexey Kolganov
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most amazing books on the operating system design, a case study.
Nicholas
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the best book about the linux kernel I have ever read. If you are familiar with the concepts, and want to learn implementation details, this is the book for you.
Tsvetomir
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Very good introduction on Linux kernel and general operating systems concept. A must-read for everyone willing to involve with the kernel.
John Johnsson
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the best books I have read about the Linux Kernel.

Gives you a very good overview.

Recommended!
Simon
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good high level intro to the Kernel. I read it as part of an OS course and it really sparked my interest both in the Kernel and open source software.

Stop reading and start hacking!
Yahya
I enjoyed learning about design, implementation and interfaces, easy to understand and quite and enjoyable. I just want to see if I can put to use the new information and try coding with it now.
Zack Bartel
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best technical books ever
  • Understanding the Linux Kernel
  • The Reasoned Schemer
  • Android Hacker's Handbook
  • Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »