Start by marking “Wolverine: Origin” as Want to Read:
Wolverine: Origin

Wolverine: Origin

(Wolverine: Origin #1-6)

Collecting the best-selling - and controversial - romantic period piece that defied industry expectations and pulled back the curtain on Wolverine's mysterious past! At long last, all is revealed about the incredible forces that molded the world's most perfect killing machine with a heart as big as the great outdoors. Collects Wolverine: Origin #1-6
Hardcover, Marvel Premiere Classic, 200 pages
Published October 18th 2006 by Marvel (first published November 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wolverine, please sign up.
Werepenguin Productions Comixology has the book rated at 12+. The content is similar in action, violence, language, and sex/nudity/adult situations as the PG-13 Wolverine…moreComixology has the book rated at 12+. The content is similar in action, violence, language, and sex/nudity/adult situations as the PG-13 Wolverine movies.(less)
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiPreludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Best Graphic Novels
2,727 books — 6,291 voters
Wolverine by Mark MillarWolverine by Barry Windsor-SmithWolverine by Chris ClaremontWolverine by Jeff LemireWolverine by Paul Jenkins
Best of Wolverine
175 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Wolverine: Origin
Anne
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really hoping that this wasn't going to ruin Wolverine for me, and it didn't. I think they did a good job with this story. I know a lot of hard core fans are turning over in their graves, because part of what makes Wolverine so cool is the mystery. Still, some idiot was bound to tell his origin tale someday, and it could have been a whole lot worse.
Dirk Grobbelaar
My first instinct was to rate this book higher. It's a very good graphic novel. However, just how well it succeeds as a Wolverine Origin tale is open to interpretation.

We do learn a bit about Wolverine's childhood, and there are some surprises / revelations. However, this is where things get murky. The book conveys a lot of its information through insinuation and it does leave the reader to draw some conclusions. In fact, quite a lot of the specifics are left unattended, and after discussing the
Matt Tandy
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The origin of Wolverine was elusive for many years. While fans got a taste with the excellent Weapon X storyline, it was still a mystery as to where Logan came from and how his animalistic tendencies developed. With Origin, Jenkins and Kubert do a great job giving our favourite mutant a backstory, full of tragedy and heartbreak. A name, a birthplace and a family, Logan is no longer an antihero with no roots. He’s now a fully developed human with clear motivations, though he’s forgotten most of ...more
Sam Quixote
Jun 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
This review wasn’t meant to run for as long as it did but when I started writing it, it kept going. So if you want to skip the many issues I had with Wolverine: Origin, here’s the conclusion I reach at the end, placed at the start:

Origin is to Wolverine fans as The Phantom Menace is to Star Wars fans - just a massive fuck you to the fans of the character. It’s a godawful prequel that should never have been made because of how poorly conceived it was. Wolverine is a character whose mysterious
Sr3yas
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Demystifying Wolverine

Every superhero has an origin story. This is not that story. This is the origin of Logan, the Wolverine.

The story follows Logan's life from his tough childhood to manhood. Any elaboration of the story would be a spoiler, I guess.

The story takes after the quote, "You are the sum total of your life experiences". I am pretty sure the writers had a checklist that ran like this:

Red head fetish,
The name: Logan,
The name: Wolverine,
The way Logan calls everyone Bub,
Mention
Scott
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
"Before the X-Men, before Weapon-X, Wolverine's struggle with his subconscious savagery first flourished in family tragedy . . ." -- back cover blurb for this edition

There's the 20th century axiom that 'the book is better than the movie.' Boy howdy, right about now I'd rather watch the unremarkable 2009 film X-Men Origins: Wolverine to learn of Logan's beginnings rather than read this print version (which is much different in storyline) again. The book left me as cold as its primary setting -
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
This was just okay. I'm a little confused at the high rating, to be honest. This was yet another story where there's a bare bones plot with Logan and a virtually irrelevant female character.

I enjoyed the first part just fine. I don't know a lot about Wolverine's history short of that awesome beginning montage in the I'll conceived Wolverine: Origins film. Can I just say, that story was 10x better than this? And that movie sucked. Anyway, I liked the story of the sick child who was friends with
Donovan

This is the greatest Wolverine story I've ever read. But wait! Isn't this unnecessary? Won't this undermine the character's mystique by giving him an origin? I say no, not when it's written like this.

For me, as a hardcore fanboy of Batman, origin determines character. Without that, I don't know what to make of the character's motivation. Wolverine has always been grounded in mystery and I never understood why. Running with wolves. From British Columbia. Small, scrappy, quick to anger. Japan.
Peter
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore Wolverine fans, maybe
Forgettable.

If you're going to try to create an origin for one of your most iconic characters, that origin had better be (*@#ing memorable. Look at Batman, for example. Or look at what Alan Moore did for the Joker in The Killing Joke. The origin should resonate for the reader.

In Origin, the story kind of lands with a dull thump.

Oh, it's not terrible. The authors clearly tried. They just weren't up to the task, that's all. And so they've created an utterly forgettable, inconsequential,
Max's Comic Reviews and Lists
James Howlett
Here’s the thing. When getting into a character, I always say start with the origin story then go wherever you want. This way you get a good sense of the character’s full personality, important character defining moments, context for relationships between supporting characters ect. But this story is interesting because it takes place before and away from all the characters that Wolverine is usually associated with. All in all this book was disappointing. Not terrible but not great
Robert
May 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just saw the movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which draws from this comic book. It reminded that I can't stand origin stories that are written ex post facto. Some characters have origins that are essential to appreciating them. Batman has an origin; he is his origin. The Hulk has an origin. Superman has an origin. Other characters do not and should not have origins. The mystery of their background is part of what defines them. Wolverine should not have an origin.

Origin: The True Story of
KK
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
the artwork was a biti too colorful but the story was GREAT.
Gary Butler
32nd book read in 2015.

Number 396 out of 460 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Julie
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Stephanie
So the funny thing is that I apparently already knew many of the general plot beats of this story, thanks to the X-Men movies — which meant most of the intended “gasp! what!!!” reveals, which were meant to surprise readers, didn’t catch me off-guard.

The most interesting thing for me was reading the background material that went into the making-of Wolverine’s origin, particularly the behind-the-scenes emails trying to beef up the plot. I hadn’t actually known that it took that long for Marvel to
Pinkerton
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Jackie
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I read this when it first came out in 2002 but with the new X-Men movie coming out soon, I felt it's time to re-read this.
I saw a new preview where it appears as if they are going to make Sabertooth and Wolverine brothers.
That isn't in the book, or at least I don't remember it. Something that big, I think I'd remember it. But I have to re-read it to make sure.
Stephen
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it
3.0 stars. A pretty good story but not as good as I was hoping it would be. After all these years of wanting to learn the "definitive" origin of Wolverine, the build up probably doomed any effort to only marginal success. Still, a decent read if a bit of a let down.
'kris Pung
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
One of the weaker origin reimaginings I've ever read.
Christian Smith
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
They could have really messed this up, but guess what, they didn't!!!
Nancy
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2016/05/2...

Back in 2001 when the first of the six comics came out, I thought Wolverine's origin story would finally be revealed. I eagerly awaited each issue, anxious for the truth. As with any good origin story, some questions were answered, but many more were added.

We are first introduced to Rose, a twelve year old orphan who is being brought up the Howlett estate to be a companion for the younger sickly James Howlett in
Dan
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Wolverine Fans...IT'S A MUST IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT ALREADY!!
I remember for years X-men fans desperately kept begging and begging for a Wolverine origin story beyond Weapon X. Who is he really? How did he get the name, Logan? Where is he from? Well with this book, after years of waiting, we finally get some of the answers.

Born a sickly, weak spoiled kid who becomes a hardened fighting machine through harsh conditioning, we see him become the young Wolverine we know and love. And, unfortunately, the guy's life has always been full of heartache and lethal
Frédéric
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, wolvie
This book is only worth something because it finally really tells Wolverine's origins. Can't say I'm much fond of them but at least now there's a real background with dates and names. I'll live with it.

But Andy Kubert's art is a shame to his name. Sloppy doesn't even begin to describe it. Backgrounds are poor, anatomy lessons long forgotten, storytelling shabby.
Only things to salvage of this mess are Isanove's color and Quesada's covers.

Years later, I still can't understand how the editorial
Jonathan Maas
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not the Wolverine you always thought you knew

And that is this tale's strength. It takes risks and adds twists. I highly recommend it, though be warned - it's different than the standard tale of Wolverine.

Great art as well!
Sriti Jha
So I read this after finishing batman and hush
So this was very slow for me. Also the art is very simple.
I wouldn’t recommend it at all
Sooraya Evans
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting take on Wolverine's origin.
But not as dramatic as it should have been.
Jon Nakapalau
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sets the mark for all Wolverine stories.
Albert
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"What do you think of the idea of a limited series telling Wolverine's origin?" Question posed by Joe Quesada, artist extraordinaire, comic master and head of Marvel.

"Two words immediately popped into my head...bad idea." Tom DeSanto, Executive Producer and Co-writer of X-men: The Movie.

DeSanto would later admit to being wrong about this, but his fears wear certainly well-founded. Part of what made Wolverine so damn awesome was that he had no origin. His past was lost to everyone and all anyone
Charles
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Well, that was godawful.
Considering how short this is, it should be telling that it took me four days to get through it. Let's make this quick, shall we? James aka Logan aka Wolverine aka whatever the hell you want to call him in this is an anti-hero and I get that. In this though, I was left hating him. Also, by the end he's a teenager, right? I mean based on the fact that he's like 10 at the start and this is only a few years old in total, why does he look like a 35 year old dude with roid
Himanshu Karmacharya
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very tragic and heartbreaking origin of one of the most beloved Marvel characters. The character are built up so well that their fates actually leave with a hole in the heart of the readers, which is a rare finding while reading comic book these days.
Camila N.
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is SO good. And so sad. I don't reay know a lot about Wolverine as a character since I've watched the films when I was a kid and that was it (although I'm watching them again now) so I don't know how good of an origin story this is, but as standalone graphic novel it was amazing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Captain America (1968-1996) #255
  • The Ultimates, Volume 1: Super-Human
  • Doctor Strange: Season One
  • Wolverine: Enemy of the State
Paul Jenkins is a British comic book writer. He has had much success crossing over into the American comic book market. Primarily working for Marvel Comics, he has had a big part shaping the characters of the company over the past decade.

Wolverine: Origin (6 books)
  • Wolverine: Origin #1 (of 6)
  • Wolverine: Origin #2 (of 6)
  • Wolverine: Origin #3 (of 6)
  • Wolverine: Origin #4 (of 6)
  • Wolverine: Origin #5 (of 6)
  • Wolverine: Origin #6 (of 6)
“se había transformado en algo que era más, y a la vez, menos que humano” 0 likes