Start by marking “Wolverine: Origin” as Want to Read:
Wolverine: Origin

Wolverine: Origin (Wolverine Marvel Comics)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  12,982 Ratings  ·  343 Reviews
Collecting the best-selling - and controversial - romantic period piece that defied industry expectations and pulled back the curtain on Wolverine's mysterious past! At long last, all is revealed about the incredible forces that molded the world's most perfect killing machine with a heart as big as the great outdoors. Collects Wolverine: Origin #1-6
Hardcover, Marvel Premiere Classic, 200 pages
Published October 18th 2006 by Marvel (first published November 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wolverine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolverine

Dirk Grobbelaar
My first instinct was to rate this book higher. It's a very good graphic novel. However, just how well it succeeds as a Wolverine Origin tale is open to interpretation.

We do learn a bit about Wolverine's childhood, and there are some surprises / revelations. However, this is where things get murky. The book conveys a lot of its information through insinuation and it does leave the reader to draw some conclusions. In fact, quite a lot of the specifics are left unattended, and after discussing the
Sr3yas
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Demystifying Wolverine

Every superhero has an origin story. This is not that story. This is the origin of Logan, the Wolverine.

The story follows Logan's life from his tough childhood to manhood. Any elaboration of the story would be a spoiler, I guess.

The story takes after the quote, "You are the sum total of your life experiences". I am pretty sure the writers had a checklist that ran like this:

✔ Red head fetish,
✔ The name: Logan,
✔ The name: Wolverine,
✔ The way Logan calls everyone Bub,
✔ Menti
Anne
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really hoping that this wasn't going to ruin Wolverine for me, and it didn't. I think they did a good job with this story. I know a lot of hard core fans are turning over in their graves, because part of what makes Wolverine so cool is the mystery. Still, some idiot was bound to tell his origin tale someday, and it could have been a whole lot worse.
Sam Quixote
Jun 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
This review wasn’t meant to run for as long as it did but when I started writing it, it kept going. So if you want to skip the many issues I had with Wolverine: Origin, here’s the conclusion I reach at the end, placed at the start:

Origin is to Wolverine fans as The Phantom Menace is to Star Wars fans - just a massive fuck you to the fans of the character. It’s a godawful prequel that should never have been made because of how poorly conceived it was. Wolverine is a character whose mysterious pas
Chelsea
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was just okay. I'm a little confused at the high rating, to be honest. This was yet another story where there's a bare bones plot with Logan and a virtually irrelevant female character.

I enjoyed the first part just fine. I don't know a lot about Wolverine's history short of that awesome beginning montage in the I'll conceived Wolverine: Origins film. Can I just say, that story was 10x better than this? And that movie sucked. Anyway, I liked the story of the sick child who was friends with
Mad Tom

This is the greatest Wolverine story I've ever read. But wait! Isn't this unnecessary? Won't this undermine the character's mystique by giving him an origin? I say no, not when it's written like this.

For me, as a hardcore fanboy of Batman, origin determines character. Without that, I don't know what to make of the character's motivation. Wolverine has always been grounded in mystery and I never understood why. Running with wolves. From British Columbia. Small, scrappy, quick to anger. Japan. Bu
Peter
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore Wolverine fans, maybe
Forgettable.

If you're going to try to create an origin for one of your most iconic characters, that origin had better be (*@#ing memorable. Look at Batman, for example. Or look at what Alan Moore did for the Joker in The Killing Joke. The origin should resonate for the reader.

In Origin, the story kind of lands with a dull thump.

Oh, it's not terrible. The authors clearly tried. They just weren't up to the task, that's all. And so they've created an utterly forgettable, inconsequential, run-of-the
Gary Butler
32nd book read in 2015.

Number 396 out of 460 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Robert
May 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just saw the movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which draws from this comic book. It reminded that I can't stand origin stories that are written ex post facto. Some characters have origins that are essential to appreciating them. Batman has an origin; he is his origin. The Hulk has an origin. Superman has an origin. Other characters do not and should not have origins. The mystery of their background is part of what defines them. Wolverine should not have an origin.

Origin: The True Story of Wolve
Stephen
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it
3.0 stars. A pretty good story but not as good as I was hoping it would be. After all these years of wanting to learn the "definitive" origin of Wolverine, the build up probably doomed any effort to only marginal success. Still, a decent read if a bit of a let down.
K
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
the artwork was a biti too colorful but the story was GREAT.
Jackie
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I read this when it first came out in 2002 but with the new X-Men movie coming out soon, I felt it's time to re-read this.
I saw a new preview where it appears as if they are going to make Sabertooth and Wolverine brothers.
That isn't in the book, or at least I don't remember it. Something that big, I think I'd remember it. But I have to re-read it to make sure.
WortGestalt
Bis dato mein absolut favorisierter Wolverine-Comic ist dieser Sammelband, der die komplette und in sich abgeschlossene Mini-Serie "Wolverine: Origin" enthält. Autor Paul Jenkins erzählt hier von der Herkunft des Mannes aus den Wäldern Kanadas, von seiner Kindheit und Jugend im ausgehenden 19. Jahrhundert, was der Geschichte eine spannende Atmosphäre gibt und sich auch in den Zeichnungen widerspiegelt. Diese sind von Andy Kubert sehr lebhaft und ausdrucksstark gestaltet. Dazu hat die Handlung vi ...more
Mónica Santos
O meu personagem preferido dos comics é sem dúvida o Wolverine.

Esta graphic novel conta a origem do Wolverine e como é que ele "nasceu".
A arte é linda, tem umas cores muito vivas e uns gráficos espectaculares. Estou ansiosa para puder ler o 2° volume. Adorei mesmo.
Sooraya Evans
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting take on Wolverine's origin.
But not as dramatic as it should have been.
Christian Smith
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
They could have really messed this up, but guess what, they didn't!!!
'kris Pung
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
One of the weaker origin reimaginings I've ever read.
Carla
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, comics
What the fuck, qué cosa tan deprimente por Dios .-. Demasiado triste, pobre Logan.
Pinkerton
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Charles
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Well, that was godawful.
Considering how short this is, it should be telling that it took me four days to get through it. Let's make this quick, shall we? James aka Logan aka Wolverine aka whatever the hell you want to call him in this is an anti-hero and I get that. In this though, I was left hating him. Also, by the end he's a teenager, right? I mean based on the fact that he's like 10 at the start and this is only a few years old in total, why does he look like a 35 year old dude with roid iss
Ana M.
Por curiosidad me prestaron este cómic ya que con la novela gráfica de arena blanca me quedé con ganas de leer algo más en este formato. Me gustó bastante, Lobezno siempre tuvo un pasado muy misterioso y nunca pensé que tuviera semejantes orígenes.
Gabriela Paige
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Very interesting story. Wolverine is definitely one of my favorite MARVEL characters. I just wasn't a fan of the style of art.
Beela
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Wolverine is my ALL TIME favorite comic book hero. (And yes, he is my hero)
Lee
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3,5/5
Me ha gustado mucho saber el origen de Lobezno, aunque he echado en falta que se profundizara más...
Sriti Jha
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
So I read this after finishing batman and hush
So this was very slow for me. Also the art is very simple.
I wouldn’t recommend it at all
Nancy
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2016/05/2...

Back in 2001 when the first of the six comics came out, I thought Wolverine's origin story would finally be revealed. I eagerly awaited each issue, anxious for the truth. As with any good origin story, some questions were answered, but many more were added.

We are first introduced to Rose, a twelve year old orphan who is being brought up the Howlett estate to be a companion for the younger sickly James Howlett in th
Tarique Ejaz
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The legend of the Wolverine has always been one so popular that the questions relating to his origin which continue to stem up from time to time, has been one of heavy debate. There have been other origins of the character, but none has traced back to the very birth of the human behind the iconic hero.

Wolverine: Origin traces the very origin of Logan, establishing a well defined reason for the sober psyche that has been associated with the character but also analyzes the reason that the past is
Jimmy
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Among the X-Men, the Wolverine fascinates me the most. There’s something about that character that intrigues me. I thoroughly enjoyed this story of Wolverine written by Paul Jenkins. He has written a good storyline of Wolverine’s origin. The graphic novel actually pulls you to the character. There is some suspense in the beginning of the book as you don’t know which one of the character is going to grow up to be the Wolverine. I thought it was neat to see how the story was told from a third stor ...more
Emmett Spain
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
It’s the greatest Marvel story never told, or at least it used to be. The company stayed well away from this story for a long time—why reveal Wolverine’s origin when the entire essence of Wolverine is of a man searching for the truth of his past? But in a bold move, very likely to generate lots and lots of money, they did it. And the verdict?

They aced it.

A lot of potential to go wrong here, but the storytelling is top notch. As is Andy Kubert’s art—I’m not normally a fan but he excels here, and
kari
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
While graphic novels will never become my favorite thing, I really have to say what an exceptional book this is. The artwork is just beautiful and the story is compelling enough to grab you even if you aren't a fan of the X-Men world or know anything about it. This story is good enough to stand on it's own, although it's probably even more enjoyed by those who have followed the franchise.
This is the backstory of how Wolverine came to be. Although it answers most of the background questions, it d
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Information for Edition 3 18 Feb 10, 2015 08:10AM
  • Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)
  • Wolverine: Origins, Volume 5: Deadpool
  • X-Men: Age of Apocalypse – The Complete Epic, Book 1
  • Wolverine, Volume 1: The Brotherhood
  • X-Men: Second Coming
  • Daredevil, Vol. 1: Guardian Devil
Paul Jenkins is a British comic book writer. He has had much success crossing over into the American comic book market. Primarily working for Marvel Comics, he has had a big part shaping the characters of the company over the past decade.
More about Paul Jenkins...

Wolverine Marvel Comics (1 - 10 of 217 books)
  • The Best of Wolverine, Vol. 1
  • Wolverine: Origin II
  • Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)
  • Wolverine: Season One