Start by marking “The Invisible String” as Want to Read:
The Invisible String

The Invisible String

In this heartwarming story, Karst ("God Made Easy") delivers a very simple approach to overcoming the fear of loneliness or separation from parents, written with an imaginative flair that children can easily identify with and remember. For Adults Too!

OVER 400,000 Copies Sold!
Published September 1st 2000 by DeVorss & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible String, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible String

Camie
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Buying copies of this cute children's book for several Grandchildren that have recently or are just about ready to move out of State. The basic context is that of a string, a magic and invisible string , which connects us all to the ones we love. It's the very ticket (a comforting story) for someone who needs to know that no matter how far away they go... Our love goes with them. Applicable for many kinds of loss or fear that a child/ person might have. It does make mention of heaven ( just on o ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
The Invisible String is a comforting story about two siblings who learn that everyone has an invisible string that connects them to everyone they love, anywhere, anytime. You are never alone. The people who love you here and those who have passed away are never far because if you tug on this invisible string they can feel it in their hearts.

This is a remarkable message for children who feel lonely, scared, anxious, worried, etc. and this reassuring feeling could help a child cope with a variety
The Styling Librarian
The Invisible String by Patrice Karst, illustrated by Geoff Stevenson – Published in 2000, part of my social skills/feelings book purchases. This is a delicate, beautiful story about how twins realize there is an invisible string connecting all people who love one another… you can feel it in your heart and always be connected, even from afar. Beautiful. Delicate. Perfect for: dealing with loss, moving, friendship issues, family problems, nighttime fears… Quite the special book.
The Invisible Str
Abbi
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As I get ready to deploy again, I find that there are hardly any books that discuss MOMMY leaving. I found this to be a great substitute. We love it! My boys are 2 and 5. The younger one doesn't grasp the concept but the older one loves it!
Tricia
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews, childrens
I recently read this book to my five year old daughter and cried. It was a sweet heartwarming story. I highly recommend it, especially if your child has recently lost a loved one or dealing with separation anxiety. It is such a wonderful message for kids.
Adrian
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heart warming.
Therese
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Loneliness and seperation anxiety is the cause of so much of a child's fears, this book tackles it. Good for divorce, good for school, summer camp, and even death of a loved one. You're never really alone; you have your invisible string. My four year old really cottoned to the idea; it's stuck with her and given her comfort.

But (and I feel terrible about this) the illustrations aren't so nice. They're frizzy and staticky, kinda hard to look at. But the book is so sweet you have to overlook it.
Debbie
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books out there to explain separation/loss to young children. The Invisible String keeps us all connected with LOVE. This is a delightful book that works magic to comfort children dealing with divorce, death, hospitalization, adoption, incarceration, parents in the military, or simply going back to school.

Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
There were twins and it was raining and thundering out. When they woke up, they went down to their mom who explained to them about the invisible string. The invisible string is a magic string you can't see, but everyone in the whole world has one. It can't be cut, never because it is too strong. The string goes to whoever you love and can reach anyone anytime, anywhere. The string is the love you feel for people.
Linda
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Picture Book about how to pull on the invisible string to always know the person you love is always with you. Helpful when discussing the death of a parent or other loved one, loss of a pet...
Amber Pound
Cute book to show children that being away from family is normal and ok when needed. Would be use for the first week in a Kindergarten class.
Kimberly
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We read this book often. It has helped in explaining how Dad (Jeff) can still be with them even when we can not hug him, see him, be with him. I love the strings that ties us all together.
Bobbi Jankovich
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about being connected to everyone we love, whether they're far away, just off for the day, or have passed on. It's a children's book, but really wonderful for adults as well.
Angie
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story to let your kids know that you are ALWAYS connected to them, no matter where either of you are.
Amy
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cute book about the power of love and connectedness no matter where the other person is.
Ann Marie Denson
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Theme: The major theme of this book is the power love embodies to overcome worry and loneliness to bind people together.

Summary: Two twins, Liza and Jeremy long for their mother's comfort during a big, frightening storm. Their mom used this situation to share an invisible string with them so they can feel her presence in their room without her being there. She promised Liza and Jeremy that this invisible string of love connects people together wherever they go, and that they never have to be al
Vaden Ellwanger
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary: A mom teaches her two twins the magic of the invisible string that is love. The children ask the mom all kinds of questions about how far the string will reach and who has strings. Then, they realize that everyone has strings connected to each other and as long as they love one another they will have strings forever. The ending message is that no one is alone.

Theme: The theme is love and unity.

Response: I really liked this book because it presented a new way of thinking about the abstr
Ana LibrariAna
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heavy rain and thunder woke the twins up from their nights sleep. Afraid, they called for their mother. Even after their Mom explained to them that it is just a storm, the twins were still afraid and wanted to be close to their Mom. When Mom said that they are always together, no matter what, they asked how is that even possible when she is out here and they are in bed.
Holding something in front of them, Mom said it is time for her to tell them something her Mom first told her when she was abou
Christy
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: concept-books, death
Specifically written to address children's fear of being apart from the ones they love, The Invisible String delivers a particularly compelling message in today's uncertain times that though we may be separated from the ones we care for, whether through anger, or d
April
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that I've used in individual therapy sessions with children 4-7 years old to help them understand that people they see infrequently can still love them and care about them. This is a topic that comes up fairly frequently at my job, whether regarding an absent parent, a grandparent who died, or a sibling rarely seen. This story explores how you can still love someone from afar in a heartwarming, child-friendly way. It's been one of the few books that has struck a chord in my cli ...more
Meg Robinson
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: attachment
This book was recommended to me by another teacher after i had suggested about doing my dissertation about attachment disorder. It is a lovely book that helps children transitioning to school, or potentially going through a tricky time at home to understand that even if your parent or grown up isnt around you will always be loved and safe. A very useful took for children struggling with the change.
Heather
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A simple but beautiful concept for kids about love. I like how the author included pets, friends, siblings and even loved ones in heaven in her explanation of who we are connected to with the invisible string. She also points out that the invisible string doesn't go away when we're mad; that love is stronger than anger. A great message of unconditional love! This is a book I'd like to own.
Deborah
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A simple story to reassure young children about separation from those they love.
The tangible idea of a love string/heart string that the child can tug whenever they are missing their loved one, and know that the person will tug back, connected despite distance or circumstances, was well received by my small person.
Debbie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it

I bought this book for my precious grandsons. I enjoyed reading it very much and I am so anxious to share this sweet book and its heartwarming message with them:

"People who love each other are always connected by a very special String, made of love. Even though you can't see it with your eyes, you can feel it deep in your heart, and know that you are always connected to the ones you love."
Elizabeth
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful book is about how all of our invisible strings of love connect us, even to the people who have gone before us. An inexplicit message about grief makes this a sweet book for a collection on that topic.
Emily
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book. I had often heard it mentioned as a grief book for kids, but I don't think it quite goes there, although the Invisible String does mention a deceased uncle. The book speaks of how we are all connected to the people we love always, no matter where we are.
Chelsea
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book and nearly made me cry as I’m struggling with a bit of homesickness. This is a lovely concept and should be shared with all children and adults alike. 100% recommendation to everybody
Amanda Hughes
Heartwarming story that suggests that there is an invisible string connecting us to the ones we love. Great message for children dealing with emotions that they don't understand or know how to deal with. Simple, reassuring book that is vital for the household.
Nathan Lowry
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a book about the deep bond and connection that love has between friends and family. there are a few difficult social issues that get brought up, but they are introduced in a way that can be easy for children to understand.
Zana
Bought to use with some of my therapy clients. The gender essentialism is bothersome. Andrew found it unsettling in presenting a view of love that he doesn't resonate with. I will see how the kids I work with react.
  • A Terrible Thing Happened
  • I Love My Daddy
  • The Baby Tree
  • Shackleton's Journey
  • Small Bunny's Blue Blanket
Patrice Karst is best known as the author of her best-selling children’s classic, THE INVISIBLE STRING. Her other books include THE SMILE THAT WENT AROUND THE WORLD, GOD MADE EASY and THE SINGLE MOTHER’S SURVIVAL GUIDE. A well loved public speaker, Patrice has been featured in and on hundreds of television and radio shows, newspapers and magazine across the country, including MSNBC, CBS, C-SPAN, A ...more