Start by marking “Tempting Evil (Prison Break Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tempting Evil (Prison Break Trilogy, #2)

Tempting Evil

(Prison Break Trilogy #2)

BIG DIE COUNTRY

Joanna Sutton can cope with the fierce winter storm bearing down on the small rural community of Centennial Valley, Montana; the popular romance writer has survived much worse in life.

Haunted by the loss of her husband and child, Jo has found refuge at her family's secluded lodge, but her haven soon becomes a hell. During the ferocious blizzard, a local Boy
Published May 20th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tempting Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempting Evil

Start your review of Tempting Evil (Prison Break Trilogy, #2)
Jonetta
Romance writer Jo Sutton returned to her family’s lodge in Montana four years ago following the murders of her husband and nine-year old son. Her healing has been slow but enough that she began a relationship with Tyler McBride, the county sheriff, but pulled away when it looked like things were getting serious. It’s been two months and she’s still unsure. In the meantime, three prisoners who escaped from San Quentin after the earthquake are headed her way. One of them became obsessed with her a ...more
Anita
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: print-copy
This is a perfect Winter read. The setting is a snowed in lodge in Montana and there are escaped convicts heading there. The suspense is palatable and the romance is a slow burn.

Romance author, Joanna Sutton, has known the joy and the sorrow of true love. After her husband and young son were killed four years ago she retreated to her childhood home in rural Centennial Valley, Montana. What remains of her family run a lodge there and it has been the perfect place to write and mourn.

Sheriff Tyle
Gina
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
It actually didn’t take that long to read this one. I had started it on Friday, but because I picked up my copy of Acheron, that one was more important. However, when I finally picked this one back up on Monday, it was damn near unputdownable!

Brennan has a way of writing in descriptions: whether scenery or character development, you get a complete picture of it all.

Joanna still hasn’t gotten over the death of her husband and nine-year-old son four years earlier. While she shows a brave front for
Melissa
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After losing her husband and son in an act of violence, Joanna Sutton moves back to her family’s lodge in Centennial Valley, Montana. As an author she’s hoping the quiet will help her start writing again. Those plans get pushed aside though when an escaped convict who has fixated on her arrives at the lodge.

Jo has dealt with so much pain over the last 4 years that I felt bad that she now had to deal with someone like Aaron Doherty. Aaron is probably one of the creepiest killers so far in Allison
Donna
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
In this romantic suspense from 2008, an earthquake in California allows a prison escape. One escapee, Aaron Doherty, is obsessed and delusional about an author Joanna Sutton. Joanna lives in her grandfather's lodge in Montana where a major winter storm is about to hit. Guest John Miller arrives right before the storm. Of course, he's not John.

As a secondary story, a Boy Scout troop and their scoutmaster are trapped by the storm too. And Sheriff Tyler McBride must save Jo and the others from the
Keri
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very solid romantic suspense. The suspense was well done. It did drag a bit there at the end, but only because I was ready for the bad guy to get his in the end. The romance was there and was a common thread throughout the book, but stayed in the background except right there in the end. It was still good, but more satisfied my want for a suspense more then it did for romance. This is a apart of the trilogy, but I think the books are more connected to the title then anything to do wit ...more
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
5-big ole disturbed stars! Lol. Seriously, yet another FAB story by one of my FAVORITE authors!

Loved it!!!!
Lauren
Tempting Evil
3 Stars

***Minor spoilers ahead***

Unfortunately, this is not one of Brennan's better works. While the basic suspense premise and character have potential, the writing is problematic with too much telling and not enough showing. There is also an abundance of unnecessary repetition of internal musings for all of the characters, which slows the action and the pacing.

While this is supposed to be romantic suspense, it is more of a suspense thriller with minor romance elements. Joanna and
Charlene
I must have gotten used to this author's style in the present series, since I rated Book #2 as 4 stars.

I will continue with this series as a group read on goodreads!

N.B. If violence isn't something you can read, pass these by, dear reader. Having said this, it is not all violent; human relationships and "man vs nature" in Montana winter is one theme, as well as personal relationships in a remote location.
Patricia
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read better books than this, is why only 4 stars, but still a good read... Great storyline, fast paced and tons of snow :-)
Robin
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
After the murder of her husband and son, Joanna Sutton moved back home to Montana to live with her Grandfather and help run the family lodge. Normally a snow storm wouldn't bother her, but a boy scout was injured while camping and is stranded with his troop a few miles away. The local Sheriff asks Joanna to help with the rescue by snowmobile when the storm lifts. He also informs her that a couple of escaped convicts may be heading their way. Sheriff Tyler McBride doesn't want to scare Joanna by ...more
Pamela
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I’ve read a few of Brennan’s books and they can be hits or misses. This one leans more towards the latter. First off, I have to mention that the hero and heroine were really dull as they had little to no chemistry. The romance between the two (what little there was) was a yawn-fest. I was ready to hurl if I had to read once more about how his kid was growing up to be a “young man.” The story itself sounded really good but as I kept reading, I found it to be repetitive, especially when it came to ...more
Cheryl Meares
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
I tell ya, I really like Tyler and Jo's story. Jo is still grieving the loss of her son and husband from 4 years ago and that has been a wall between her and Tyler. An escaped convict is tracking Jo and is desparate to make her his and in an attempt to save Jo, Tyler will have to make some life changing decisions....lives will be lost and love will be found.

This is a great series, I can't wait for the next one.
Lauren
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Maybe I've read too many Allison Brennan books this year, maybe I just couldn't get into our hero and heroine. I don't know.

So far Aaron is the most whiny and pathetic villain of any of her books. Usually they're so diabolical or fatally flawed, or inhumanly murderous. Aaron was just a pathetic loser. Usualy I'm stoked on the perversity of their actions. Not so with this one.

Add in the underwhelming (for me) romantic plot and I found myself right in the middle of the road.
Nikki H. Rose
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Jo Sutton is a romance writer with a tragedy-filled life. Her husband and nine-year-old son were murdered by her sister’s ex-husband.

Living as a recluse while helping her grandfather run their family lodge in the middle-of-nowhere Montana, Jo fills her time writing. But what she doesn’t know is that some of her fans might be more into her than they are into her writing.

Due to the same earthquake that broke through the first book of this trilogy, escaped convicts from San Quentin are still at lar
Khadija Hassan
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Meghan
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
A good read and full of action with a dash of romance. I love the stories and writing style of Allison Brennan, and while I enjoyed this story, it is not one of my favorites. I struggled with the beginning and staying interested in the story. I enjoy the trilogy and liked seeing more about O’Brien, but I felt this story was not as vivid and captivating.

With that said there are some great surprises and secrets in this story. I did not see Trixie’s confession coming. I also thought the play on co
Anna Mcfadden
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
After the death of her husband and child Joanna Sutton went home to her family's secluded lodge to help run it and continue to write her popular romance novels. But with a fierce winter storm baring down on them, a local Scout troop lead by Wyatt McBride is stranded with an injured member, and she has to lead a team out to rescue them. meanwhile Wyatt's younger brother, Chief of police, Tyler McBride gets info about 2 prisoners are heading to Jo's families lodge . Tyler has to get to the lodge b ...more
Mark Giordano
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a pretty interesting book about an inmate, obsessed with an author, whom escapes from prison and sets out to win this author's love. However, it's a set to a backdrop of a series of Winter storms in a remote area of Montana where this author lives. The book kept my attention and I enjoyed it even though I had not read the Prison Break Trilogy #1. There are enough references to the original story that you can understand what happened.
Lola
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story w0uld be a good movie; full of action & suspense.
Jo's husband & son were murdered. She goes to the family's lodge
in a secluded part of Montana during the winter.
Two prison escapees show up there. One has an imagined love affair
with Jo. She writes romance novels & he thinks she writes them for him
but she doesn't even know him. Interesting; scary!
Amy Phelps
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. It was a good story and the one or two sex scenes didnt take away from the story. Not overly graphic either which is always a good point for me. I liked the characters and the villain was crazy. The inner dialogue he had with himself was interesting to read
Annie B
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Billed as suspense but was really a romance novel.
Gisela
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Margaret Yelton
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book from this author. I enjoy how she tied the books together using a lot of the same characters in the books. I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys suspense/thrillers.
Mindy Cossins
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
keeps your attention

Nancy
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Normally I like her books, but this one had too much killing in it for me.
Cpatrick
This book was good but not great. It had so much suspense but I'm not sure at the end it delivered. Worth the read on a boring day.
Kathy Crouch
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating Story

I'm a big fan of Allison Brennan and this is one of her early releases. I couldn't put it down after the convict took a hostage.
Beth Lechman
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brennan grabs you with the first page and doesn't turn loose until the last.
Ann
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 11 6 Jan 21, 2020 07:06AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 8 7 Jan 21, 2020 07:05AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question C 8 7 Jan 21, 2020 06:59AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question B 9 6 Jan 21, 2020 06:54AM

• Into the Dark (Romantic Suspense #23; Cincinnati #5)
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2; Shadows #2)
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5; Evil #2)
  • Fatal Burn (Northwest, #2)
  • Total Control (Alpha Crew, #4)
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • After She's Gone (Northwest, #3)
  • Haunted (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #15; Haven, #3)
  • Her Deadly Secrets (Wolfe Security, #2)
  • Where All the Dead Lie (Taylor Jackson, #7)
  • Hindsight (Kendra Michaels, #7)
  • You're Not Safe (Texas Rangers, #3)
  • Under a Wild Sky (Wild, #1)
  • Tijuana Straits
  • The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
  • The Dragons (Dragonlance: Lost Histories, #6)
  • Wild Angel (Wild, #6)
  • Beyond the Wild Wind (Wild, #4)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Allison Brennan believes that life is too short to be bored, so she had five children and writes three books a year.

Allison has penned more than three dozen thrillers and many short stories. RT Book Reviews calls Allison “a master of suspense” and her books “haunting,” “mesmerizing,” “pulse-pounding” and “emotionally complex.” RT also said that "The

Prison Break Trilogy (3 books)
  • Killing Fear (Prison Break Trilogy, #1)
  • Playing Dead (Prison Break Trilogy, #3)