Start by marking “Veronica” as Want to Read:

Veronica (Veronica)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Veronica, a hippopotamus who wants to stand out from the herd and be famous, travels to the big city where she indeed does stand out. Causing traffic jams, blocking sidewalks, and devouring a pushcart vendor's vegetables in one big gulp, Veronia is arrested and jailed. How she discovers that there is no place like home is told with warm humor and sublimely mirthful illustr ...more
Published January 10th 2006 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published December 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Veronica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veronica

Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, but not as colorful as I usually go for.
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book about a hippo who moves to the city to become famous, and has lots of adventures. It's great fun, and very well illustrated.
Brian Drew
Mar 01, 2017 added it
Shelves: rdng-350
this book is about a hippo that didn't like living in the forest so she tried to go fit in inside the city and it worked for a little bit but then people started to make fun of her so she moved back to the forest and fell back in love with it

I liked this book because it shows that just because people might not always talk to you doesn't mean that they don't like you

I would use this book to help teach kids that people do like them no matter what
Destinee Sutton
A book that will teach kiddos the meaning of the word "conspicuous." Veronica is a hippopotamus who lives among other hippopotamuses in obscurity. She longs for attention, so she travels to a city fully of people, where she'll stand out. Unfortunately, she also gets in some trouble with the law, so a kind old lady bails her out and sends her back to the other hippopotamuses. But don't be sad for Veronica, her city trip lends her the glamor she desired in the first place.
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Veronica is a book that tells a story of a hippopotamus who makes her way into a city. This book can be challenging for students bc it introduces many new vocabulary words such as conspicuous. I liked the illustrations in this book bc they altered from color to black and white (something I have never seen before).
Emily Goodin
This book is would be very easy for kids to relate to. There are many kids that feel like they blend into a the background-especially in a classroom. This book had a lot of big words in it, so it would be most appropriate for the upper grades. The lesson here would be that everyone is special in their own way-they just have to find an appropriate way to express themselves.
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a really sweet story and I chose it for a child to read independently. Veronica longs for adventure so she leaves her family but her journey isn't easy and leads her to realize that she belongs with her family on the mud bank. This is a good book for first graders.
A hippo looking to be noticed realizes she must leave her family and head to the city to finally stand out. Loved the loose and expressive illustrations. But like many old children's books, the story may be too wordy and clunky for many kids today.
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Simple, but delightful. I love that the vocabulary is well above reading level and yet accessible at the same time.
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
just another hippo in the city
May 18, 2008 rated it liked it
what i'm learning about myself is that i really like drawings of hippos. weird.
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Teaches the word "conspicuous."
A great book with some humor, as well as interesting illustrations. It also introduces some new vocabulary words with is great!
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
how can you deny love for a hippo that wants to be famous?
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, childrens
Wow, this goes far back. We had a Volkswagen that we named Veronica... whether because of the hippopotamus or not I can't remember. But I loved them both.
Nov 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
the best part about this book is that there are TWO STORIES IN ONE - flip it over and there's a story about three little horses that is ridiculously fantastic.
Aug 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Expletive awesome book about a hippopotamus.
Gregory Pastoll
Feb 01, 2016
Apr 30, 2015
Dec 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Roger Antoine Duvoisin (August 28, 1900 – June 1980) was a Swiss-born American writer and illustrator, best known for children's picture books. He won the 1948 Caldecott Medal for picture books and in 1968 he was a highly commended runner-up for the biennial, international Hans Christian Andersen Award for children's illustrators.
More about Roger Duvoisin...

Veronica (5 books)