Start by marking “Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't” as Want to Read:
Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't

Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,774 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Winner of the 2015 International Book Awards for General Business

Winner of the 2015 National Indie Excellence Award for General Business

Winner of the 2015 Readers' Favorite International Book Award Gold Medal for Non-Fiction Business

Winner of the 2015 Paris Book Festival Award for Business

Winner of the 2015 Amsterdam Book Festival Award for Business

Winner of the 2015 San
Published October 21st 2014 by Gazelles Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Scaling Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scaling Up

Jonathan Lu
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4D's
Driver
- Coaching
- Learning
- tech (scalable infrastructure)
Demands

- 17,000 >$50M: predictability
- 2,500 >$500M
- 500 > $5B

Leadership
- Prediction: spend time with customers
- Delegation: not abdication.
○ Priorities
○ Data (kpi's)
○ Rh
Khalid Sulami
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the most amazing books that I've read about business and I really consider it as a MUST-READ book for any entrepreneur who wants to take the next step! Here're some takeaways:
1. Only 4% of American companies ever exceed $1 million in revenue.
2. Of the 4%, a small number develops into “gazelles” – fast-growing companies accounting for almost all of the nation’s job growth and innovation.
3. Gazelles focus on improving “people, strategy, execution and cash.”
4. Start with the most pressing o
Andrew Milne
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well worth the read. Lost of good reminders &
detailed practices... One of those books that makes you challenge your thinking on your own business. I would highly recommend it for those looking for guidance as they scale.
Josh Steimle
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rarely do I give out five star ratings. Five stars means it can't be improved upon. Five stars means it's so important everyone should read it. Five stars means it's on par with the Bible, or whatever religious text you subscribe to. To be clear, I'm sure this book can be improved on. Not sure how, but I don't want to limit Verne. I'm not sure EVERYONE should read this. I'm not sure what good it would do my 80 year old mother who isn't looking to scale anything but her kale garden. And it's not ...more
Sebastian Gebski
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I know how critically well acclaimed this book is & I'm not surprised. I appreciate what it covers & how it covers. I also don't think it's repetitive or too obvious - actually I've noted down some interesting remarks & did some highlighting as well.

But ... still I didn't enjoy it as much as some other, similar lectures. I like that author appreciates the role of organization's culture in scaling up, but IMHO his idea for building this culture "smells" too corporate & detached fr
Eugene
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great set of ideas and things to do to grow the company. I enjoyed references to other books like "read that 3 pages in that book - that is all you need to know about the subject"
David Skinner
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Harnish is intensely practical, giving incredible tips for operational efficiency, team building, meeting efficiency, and basic financial guidance. It is geared towards companies that manufacture or sell / distribute physical products, but there are principles that can be applied to anybody looking to improve themselves or their personal operation in business.

The most applicable point Harnish makes that I can appropriate for my own use as a 1099 contractor in the real estate business is to write
Adam Nowak
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I was a bit sceptic about this one, but it's really really good, actually:)
Max rating for great content and enforcing my brain to think a lot!
Joshua Francia
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Awesome, simple way to explain what a business is about. Great to put in practice right away
Hayden
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is like a collection of all the best bits of other business books. Every chapter seemed to be based on another book you've likely heard of but with a contemporary take on the lessons/points. I enjoyed this book and god a huge list of additional books to read. This books is great to giving you a large number of resources to help you address any of the scaling up issues the book identifies.
Dannie
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This reads like a textbook, but it's not quite as painfully boring as a regular textbook. The authors attempt to use humor at times, which is my favorite thing textbook authors do. Overall, a good business book. I might suggest only reading the chapters that pertain to you, though. Otherwise it gets very dry.
Judd
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Well worth the read. Great refresher on a number of topics and good learnings on others. There's no fluff here, only meaty content that is not just thorough, but useful... tangible learnings and tools you can use straight away. Keep it on your shelf and pull it down as a reference or a reminder.
Brendan Brooks
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Most excellent, plenty of tools and resources to implement and frameworks to guide thinking. Very practical.
Dan
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not an exciting read, but lots of practical advice - very similiar concepts from Good to Great by Jim Collins. I will revisit this book with a finer tooth comb when it comes time for application.
Michał Korba
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good manual how to organise company on level form startup to company
Vernita Naylor
First there was Verne Harnish’s Best Seller: Mastering the Rockefeller Habits and now, after 12 years, Verne has revised his popular first book with Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't (Rockefeller Habits 2.0). It’s power-packed with a wealth of information as to how familiar and iconic companies were able to scale up. Verne offers case studies, charts, plans, and principles that companies have created within their companies to obtain their desired outcome. Business ...more
Austin
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent reference book on scaling up a company that's found its way to sustainability and has the opportunity to grow significantly. Harnish uses a 4-part structure of People, Strategy, Execution, and Cash, with excellent frameworks for free download, to guide the reader from practical step to practical step. His firm also produces a software package called Align that helps to implement the Rockefeller habits throughout the organization on a daily basis.

This book should be required
KevinS
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Scaling up contains some practical advice for business owners. The book has plenty of worksheets and forms that can help in real-life scenarios for businesses especially when founders did not write down crucial ideas before like their strategy, functional accountabilities by people, or long-term vision for he company. The rules of thumb make this book a good reader even for start-ups, but leaves little education for people outside of business to learn more.
Todd  Dashley
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by the President of our organization. Every January we meet as a executive team at our HQ in Portland OR. Each year our President identifies a resource that addresses our current and future issues. Our national company was founded in 2004 and has gone from $4 million in sales revenue in our first year, to over $300 million last year.

This book's principles to growth and scaling up allowed us to come together last month and identify a measurable path to scaling up!
Alan
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Recomendo a leitura, mesmo para quem não está construindo uma empresa.

Um guia prático de como escalar uma empresa. Cada página do livro me gerou um insight novo. O livro está cheio de referências externas para outros trabalhos, livros e artigos, se prepare para expandir a leitura para fora dele.

Como diz o autor, “Success belongs to those who have these two attributes: an insatiable desire to learn, an unquenchable bias for action”.
Danny Iny
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Verne Harnish, founder of Entrepreneurs' Organization and 15-year chair of MIT's Birthing of Giants CEO program, shows how to grow by focusing on the four major decision areas of your business: people, strategy, execution, and cash. Thousands of businesses around the world have used this approach successfully, and you can do the same. Buy a copy for everyone on your team so you will all be on the same page and work together to dominate your industry.

Juan Rivera
Mar 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lecturas-2017
There are books that you buy with the best of intentions to learn something and apply it. But there are others who simply are not in your life or business moment.

This happened to me with "Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It ... and Why the Rest Do not, Rockefeller Habits 2.0" by Verne Harnish; Where you talk about how to grow a company to take it to Fortune 500. However there were four things that made me think and that are important in a company:

- People: the question is simple, if you coul
Craig
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book, along with Patrick Lencioni's "The Advantage" provide cornerstone content to the Process of Leadership. Verne Harnish describes a management system designed to help small business overcome and thrive.

Harnish describes the four pillars of small business - People, Strategy, Execution and Cash - that all small business must manage and master if they are to thrive and scale up.

A must-read for all managers and leaders.
Karla Covarrubias
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Este más que un libro de negocios, es más un gran infomercial contenido dentro de una enorme bibliografía.

Cierto que tiene algunos tips útiles y rescatables y varios ejercicios prácticos, pero para quienes leemos libros de negocios frecuentemente, no aporta gran valor e incluso es repetitivo al citar lo más conocido del tema.

En mi opinión, puede uno vivir perfectamente evitando esta lectura.
Robert Blount
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A good reference book.

The number of references and book recommendations were over the top. Seriously, it seemed like every other sentence was a reference to someone else, another book, a white paper, or my favorite acronyms like “BHAG”.

Regardless of my two cents, if you’re trying to scale a business this is worth a read.
Luis Pereira
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneur
Remarkable book! Full of great knowledge and practice examples to put in place in your organization, so it could scale it up on many levels. Despite being a dense book on information, and make you revisit some topics several times for better understanding, it was one of the best business books I ever read.
Brandon
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book covers all the key Rockefeller Habits and concepts of business growth. It's mainly targeted at executives and small business owners, but there are topics that are relevant to businesses of any size and even individual contributors. I found the sections on company culture, business strategy, managing teams, and productivity the most interesting.
Giacomo Barbieri
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ho ascoltato questo libro su Audible: nonostante alcune parti siano difficili da comprendere perché ci sono espressioni matematiche e schemi, le 8 ore e mezza di ascolto danno un’impressionante visuale su tutte le meccaniche interne ed esterne ad un’azienda che voglia essere di successo. Consigliato audiolibro prima e libro cartaceo poi.
Luke Gruber
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I’ve read all year. It provides an excellent big picture to scale and succeed while simultaneously providing practical examples to improve. Honestly, every chapter was gold, and I might have to re-read this annually to make sure these principles are implemented. Amazing book!
Sabita
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Quite useful in explaining how to scale up but a bit too American in style - too many numbered points urging you to do too many things. Feels quite frantic and stress inducing but I think i should read it slower next time - I feel ill get a different vibe each time.
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • The Game of Numbers
  • Predictable Revenue: Turn Your Business Into a Sales Machine with the $100 Million Best Practices of Salesforce.com
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • Profit First: A Simple System To Transform Any Business From A Cash-Eating Monster To A Money-Making Machine
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less
  • Coach: The A. L. Williams Story
  • The Decision Maker
  • Mad Genius: A Manifesto for Entrepreneurs
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • Whatever the Cost: Facing Your Fears, Dying to Your Dreams, and Living Powerfully
  • Traction
  • Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
  • Financial Intelligence for Entrepreneurs: What You Really Need to Know About the Numbers
  • Success Is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices; Change Your Life
  • DotCom Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Company Online
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Shakespeare Never Did This
    $6.99 $1.99
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
    $18.95 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $7.95 $2.49
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
  • On Becoming a Novelist
    $17.99 $1.99
“There are no straight lines in nature or business.” 4 likes
“In retaining employees and keeping them engaged, we’ll cover the five activities of great (vs. good) managers: • Help people play to their strengths. • Don’t demotivate; dehassle. • Set clear expectations and give employees a clear line of sight. • Give recognition and show appreciation. • Hire fewer people, but pay them more (frontline employees, not top leaders!).” 2 likes