Start by marking “Strange Angels” as Want to Read:
Strange Angels

Strange Angels

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Grant, an ambitious photographer, is possessed by a young mental patient's strange drawings and becomes the disturbed young artist's confidant and guardian in a relationship that pushes Grant's own sanity to the edge. Reprint. LJ.
Mass Market Paperback, 356 pages
Published February 2nd 1995 by Dell (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Angels

Rachel Kendall
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Kathe Koja does good crazy. She does crazy good. As with the other book I've read - Bad Brains - she has written about genius and insanity and creativity. The way she writes takes some getting used to. When I first started Bad Brains, I stopped after the first few pages because of her relentless stream-of-consciousness purple-tinted fast stop-start style. But after a few days I decided I wasn't ready to give up on her so I started over. It's a little like getting used to the Scottish lingo in Tr ...more
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
There is a reason why Kathe Koja is one of my favorite indie horror authors.

There is almost a manic, frantic, and it's uncomfortable to read quality to her writing. Every time I re-read one of her books there is a new element/angle of the book that I did not notice or absorb during the reading before.

Her writing is raw and artistic. Beautiful and poetic. Haunting.

Her writing style is either a love or a hate for readers, imho. I can't guarantee that you'll love it as much as I do. But I love her
Victoria
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved, melancholia
UTTERLY DEVASTATED

I could read this book forever, why did it have ever have to end?
This book is labeled incorrectly, there is no Horror in this book. Not one bit.
This is a character study, focusing on mental illness and schizophrenia is the demon.
Her language........... It's utterly beautiful despite how grim the details are. I believe this story will live inside my mind for a long time.... its full of memorable scenes which will remain imprinted in my retina, eternal flashing images transfixin
S.A.
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow, how did I not rate this amazing book? Creepy, disturbing and glorious. I still can't wrap my mind around KK writing YA. Or, wait, hold on... hmmm.
Randolph Carter
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Madness and Obsession First this is definitely not a horror novel. If you want to call it dark fiction, fine; not a horror novel. What it is is a novel about obsession and madness, specifically schizophrenia. It is not a very good book. Why? Well you can tell Koja is a good writer, or has the potential to be a good writer; I haven't read anything else by her. The problem is that Koja falls in love with her own stream of consciousness narrative style and her prose. You can tell she is so proud of ...more
Juushika
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Through his art therapist girlfriend, Grant meets Robin--a young schizophrenic whose exquisite art sparks an obsession. Strange Angels is written in Koja's distinctive abrupt and visceral style, but fails to exhibit or suit that style as well as some of her other work. There's something not quite strange enough about it: tropes linking madness and art are extremely problematic, but Koja comes just short of idealization; schizophrenia influences Robin's art but doesn't always aid or elevate it. I ...more
Travis Ammons
this book was a major influence on me in my mid to late 20s. I've never found a copy either. i should just order it and reread it. I have "Kink" by Koja as well; it's good but it doesn't even come close to comparison to 'Angels.' Different ballpark, fuck. Different sport.
Nick
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Strange, indeed. Koja's writing style is absorbing and heady, taking you to places you never thought existed.
Cora
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chad
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
With prose that affects the reader like poetry, a story that is never predictable, and characters mesmerizing in their strangeness, reading this book was a thoroughly absorbing, mind altering experience. Kathe Koja's ability to turn a phrase, a passage, and a tale is unnervingly masterful, and this novel in particular never failed to keep me from settling into comfortable routine.
  • Blood Sugar
  • The Dust of Wonderland
  • Loose End
  • Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind
  • The Lesbian Body
  • Once upon a Dyke (New Exploits, #1)
  • Mistaking the Sea for Green Fields
  • Tales of Pain and Wonder
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eleventh Annual Collection
  • The Crow:  Shattered Lives & Broken Dreams
  • Ballad Divine: Bhagavad-Gita
Kathe Koja is a novelist, playwright, director and independent producer. Her work crosses and combines and plays with genres, from YA to contemporary to historical to horror. Her novels–including THE CIPHER, SKIN, BUDDHA BOY, TALK, HEADLONG, and the UNDER THE POPPY trilogy–have won awards, been multiply translated, and optioned for film and performance.

She creates performative fiction events, some
More about Kathe Koja...