Start by marking “Invasion: Time's Enemy” as Want to Read:
Invasion: Time's Enemy

Invasion: Time's Enemy

(Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #16)

Millenia ago, an apocalyptic battle was fought in the Alpha Quadrant. The losers were banished, but what became of the victors?

The Federation is threatened by this ancient mystery when a battered and broken version of the Defiant is found, frozen for five thousand years, in an icy cloud of cometary debris. Captain Sisko and the crew of Deep Space NineTM are summoned to a

Mass Market Paperback, 338 pages
Published August 1996 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Invasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invasion

Alejandro
The Furies' invasion takes a twist!

This is the third book in a series of four, featuring the Star Trek "Invasion!" event.

FEAR AND MISTERY

Seventy years ago, the Furies tried to invade the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, and Captain Kirk was barely able to repel the attack, but hardly was the first time that these demonic-like villains were in our realm, centuries ago, way before that any civilization would be able to stand, the Furies were hellish rulers of all...

...but something happened and they
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I recall never really enjoying any of the crossover series Pocketbooks attempted, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this installation of the *Invasion!* series. I suspect part of the reason is that for the DS9 book, they (editor, writers, planners, whomever) took the idea at the heart of the series--this invading, unstoppable, ancient species looking to reclaim its territory that now makes up a big part of the Federation--and turns it on its head by having the DS9 folks have to deal with ...more
Daniel Kukwa
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
It seems almost cliche to expect that the DS9 entry in a story-arc would feature the most depth, the best characterization, and push the limits of epicness. "Time's Enemy" does this in spades, by taking a fresh approach to the "Invasion" story arc and adding some mind-bending timey-wimey terror to the mix. Utterly superb storytelling.
Justin Rees
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is by far the best novel of the invasion series! L.A Graf delivers a fantastic, dynamic plot line that keeps you turning pages. Love the temporal aspects of it, as well as the command of the characters. It should have been made into a series episode it was so good. A must, must read!
Don Incognito
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Time's Enemy might well be the best Star Dreck novel ever written. Even better than my favorite, Chain of Attack.
A starship, nearly torn to pieces, is found hidden in a comet. After study, Starfleet finds it to be an alternate version of the Defiant...nearly five thousand years old. The Deep Space Nine crew (most of them) are brought in to solve the mystery of how their ship was thrown into the distant past and wrecked in battle.
Jenny Clark
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed this more then I thought I would, considering I am not really a fan of DeepSpace Nine the show, this book may just make me rewatch the show. I found the concept quite interesting, though the Jadiza/Dax coukd be a little confusing
rivka
Nov 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: startrek
8/27/2011: Have now read #2 as well. This one still really does better as a stand-alone. The connection to #2 is not very strong.

11/14/2009: Book 3 of 4; I have not read the others, but this one works well as a stand-alone.
Chad
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I was torn on how to rate this. If I were to look at the book on its own and judge its merits, I might rate it higher. The story is pretty entertaining and for as often as Trek likes to play with time travel I thought this tale was clever and nicely done. I haven’t read any DS9 books before and this could make me read more - as good a compliment as I think a book like this can ask for.

All this aside however, looking at this as the third of a four part series I didn’t feel like it really held up
Lukáš
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
While the first half of the book was not able to amaze me (some inconsistences, confusing storylines that I felt were forced so that the story would conclude the way it did), the second half did a good job to boost my rating to 4 stars. While I still think the first book of this series was the best, this one started to reveal the Furies mystery in a way that was still entertaining (even though this was a third book about them) and I am looking forward to how this all ends.
Shawn Russell
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trek-lit
What was the point of this book? Its an alright, I’d rate it a bit higher but it feels extremely shoehorned into the “Invasion!” series. The story felt like it came to its natural conclusion at the end of book 2.
The revelation at the end doesn’t feel worth the time spent on it, maybe it would have been better if they cut it in haft and paired it with whatever comes in “The Final Fury”.
Hopefully there’ll be a bigger pay off next book!
Robert Sparrenberger
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
A friend gave me this to read. I never could get into ds9 and he said this would help. It didn’t. I don’t like ds9. I find the characters boring and the thought of the space station and the wormhole just never interested me. My critique is more of the series than this book. That’s probably why I couldn’t get into it because I don’t really know the characters.

Elentarri
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-and-sf
Entertianing
Shane Amazon
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read my fair share of Star Trek books, some have been great like Star Trek: Prime Directive and some have been horrible like Warped, but its been a long time since I read a book that conveyed such an incredible connection to the show. L.A. Graf, who has written four Star Trek books in all, proves that he is not just a hired gun to push out a book but a fan of the show as well. Graf, through his writing provides a deep and rich environment for the characters to flourish. The story itself i ...more
Tomislav
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This is book three of the four-part crossover series "Invasion!"
Star Trek #79: First Strike
Star Trek: The Next Generation #41: The Soldiers of Fear
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #16: Time's Enemy
Star Trek: Voyager #9: The Final Fury

L.A. Graf (Let's All Get Rich And Famous) is the pseudonym for a team of Star Trek writers. It was not a surprise to me, to find that this is the pivotal and expository novel in the overall arc of the crossover series - probably the one around which the other novels were
Dianah
Jul 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 100-books, star-trek
The phrase that comes to mind when I read this book was "word density". Long, aimless sentences pour into rambling paragraphs that choke out any joy of language that might have been found here. Luckily there are some saving graces.

The story, without any spoilers, is hard to explain. Suffice it to say Starfleet finds a 5,000 year old artifact they think Sisko will be very interested in seeing. There is some clues left behind that make them believe the mysterious Furies are involved.

The big plus o
Veronica Lakewood
May 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Page 107 a few lines down it reads "Pak Dorren resistance cell raided an ancient plutonium mine"

You don't mine. Weapons grade plutonium!
It is man made. This is a really big mistake in this book!
High school physics here.
I don't think I am going to finish this book. You just can't sit down and write Trek and not understand basic high school science.

Trace amounts of plutonium can be found in nature. But that stuff is too scarce and too weak to be used for anything. You have to have a dedicated reac
Saphirablue
Sean Randall
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
“Apparently the Ferengi don't have a word in their language for 'no.'”
Quark sniffed with what Kira suspected was supposed to be indignation, somehow managing to sound both
obsequious and offended at the same time. “That's not true,” the Ferengi countered. “We have several,
depending on how much negotiation it will take to change your mind.”

The racial characteristics were all here and neatly done, although at times the switching between station and ship was a little more confusing than it should've
Mary Lowd
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
While I love Star Trek, I think that Star Trek novels mostly don't work for me. So, take this review with a grain of salt.

There were some interesting ideas in this book, and it was pleasant to revisit characters that I love. However, there were some pivotal moments near the end where the relationship between Jadzia Dax's host and symbiont body was portrayed in a way that ran completely counter to how it worked in the actual show. It was only a few lines, but they displayed such a fundamental dif
Frank
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best of 4 book series

Book 3 of 4 in invasion series. You don't necessarily have to read 1 or 2 to understand this one. The events are pretty self contained, any explanation needed is given early on in book. Lots of sci-fi and a little bit of horror. Great concept. In the near future something bad happens, the Defiant is thrown back in time 5,000 yrs( everyone onboard is long dead by events in book) and current crew must make sure that it doesn't happen again. I highly recommend you read this(who
Aladino
Nettamente migliore dei due precedenti libri della saga. La storia sta in piedi e i personaggi sono fedeli a quelli originali. Riesce a catturare l'attenzione e la risoluzione della trama, con le due minacce da fronteggiare alle due estremità del tunnel spaziale Bajoriano ha abbastanza suspance. La partenza è un po' lenta e impiega un po' di tempo per entrare nel vivo dell'azione, ma nel complesso il giudizio è positivo. Unica pecca l'editing: sono presenti parecchi errori tipografici che non po ...more
B Scott
Third in the series and I just only somewhat like the series.

Third in the series and I just only somewhat like the series.

Like the two other books, same premise and a few surprises. I still worked through this series. The characters are again as you know them to be and expect. So if you have read the first strike & Soldiers of Fear you will enjoy this one too. The writing style does change with each author but the characters show through as you expect them. I recommend it so far.
Denise
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Definitely the most interesting part of the Invasion series as well as one of the best DS9 novels so far. The third part of the series-crossing quartet adds a new dimension to the Invasion storyline by concentrating not on the Furies themselves but on their ancient adversaries. Added to that, there's timetravel, lots of action, wormhole shenanigans and much more combined with great characterisations, especially a very fascinating use of the Jadzia Dax character's unique properties. A great read!
Jess Saxton
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
The only book in the 'Invasion' storyline I read, and I must say, it stands quite well on its own. I very much enjoyed the plot and pacing of the story, which was gripping. The mystery of the ancient Defiant was fascinating.

My only problem was that Odo seemed a little *too* sarcastic at times, especially toward Kira. Also, now that I think about it, Pak Doran was a little two-dimensional as well.

Otherwise, a great read.
Jason Vargo
I love DS9. I enjoyed the first two books in the Invasion! series. This installment, however, is too wordy to be enjoyable. Each scene tends to ramble on for far too long, throwing an inordinate amount of technobabble at the reader for no good reason.

The worst part, at least for me, is its only tangential relationship to the main Fury/Invasion! storyline. We get that connection very late in the story, by which time I didn't even care anymore.
Gail Gawlik
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful addition to the Invasion crossover series. The action is non-stop, the characters are well-written, and the plot is interesting and engaging -- a hard book to put down! Add to that the creation of "bad guys," in their own way, that are as scary as the Borg. I loved this book. It was exactly like watching an episode, except longer and with more detail than a standard episode could deliver. All I can say is, "Read this book!"
Michael Prelee
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Time's Enemy is a good DS9 novel, and the author pulls off the great trick of taking a novel that is part of a four part series and letting it stand on its own. I've read more than a few of these Trek novels and this stands out as a favorite simply because the characters didn't act out of character and the story was interesting. The premise is strong and holds the reader's interest throughout the entire novel.
Devero
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nel terzo romanzo, dedicato a DSN, le cose si fanno decisamente interessanti. Il romanzo è, tutto sommato, leggibile se stante e la trama è intricata ma coinvolgente, i personaggi ben caratterizzati e le idee ben sviluppate.
Michael Hamaker
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!!!

I read this story many years ago,this is a very good story,the characters are very well developed!!!,i would give it ten stars if the rating would allow it,clearly the best in this series so far!!!
Graf needs to do his homework. 1 10 May 11, 2011 11:48AM
  • The Soldiers of Fear (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #41; Invasion, #2)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, #4)
  • First Strike (Star Trek, #79; Invasion!, #1)
  • Wrath of the Prophets (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #20)
  • Devil in the Sky
  • Objective: Bajor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #15)
  • Saratoga (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #18)
  • Trial by Error (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #21)
  • The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
  • The Heart of the Warrior (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #17)
  • Warchild
  • Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8)
  • Betrayal (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #6)
  • The Tempest (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #19)
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
  • Emissary
L.A. Graf reportedly stands for Let's All Get Rich and Famous. Its a pseudonym used by authors Karen Rose Cercone and Julia Ecklar.

They have co-written some eleven Star Trek novels. Their first Star Trek novel came out in 1990.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Emissary
  • The Siege (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #2)
  • Bloodletter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
  • Fallen Heroes (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #5)
  • Betrayal (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #6)
  • Warchild
  • Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8)
  • Proud Helios (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #9)
  • Valhalla (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #10)