Start by marking “Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)” as Want to Read:
Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)

Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  589 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Like the twisted strands of mutant chromosomes, an insidious alien conspiracy winds its way through the entire Alpha Quadrant, just as it stretches across several years of Starfleet history - beginning near the very start of Captain Picard's command of the Starship Enterprise!

It is only the first year of the U.S.S. Enterprise-D's ongoing mission when a virulent epidemic st
Published June 1st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Infection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infection

April
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Now that the Trekkie is out the bag, I'll follow it with shame in admitting that this is the first Star Trek novel I've read in, approximately, the past ten years.
NextGen is probably my favourite (nothing remotely, of course, due to Tasha Yarr and the fabulous home-Brit Sir Patrick Stewart), so it made sense I'd nab Double Helix at a local thrift store for around 50p.

Infection is, all in all, written quite well. I'd defend Betancourt in saying that he does pace a very interesting, dramatic plo
Abbe
Sep 20, 2012 added it
Shelves: in-library
Product Description

Like the twisted strands of mutant chromosomes, an insidious alien conspiracy winds its way through the entire Alpha Quadrant, just as it stretches across several years of Starfleet history -- beginning near the very start of Captain Picard's command of the Starship EnterpriseTM!

It is only the first year of the U.S.S. EnterpriseTM-D's ongoing mission when a virulent epidemic strikes the populace of Archaria III, endangering the lives of thousands and provoking acts of mob vi

Flosse07
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
als bekennender Trekkie war es mal an der Zeit, sich den Büchern zuzuwenden.

Das Lesen des Romans war sehr kurzweilig und viel mir aufgrund des flüssigen/seichten Schreibstils recht leicht. Dazu kamen dann die aus TNG bekannten Charaktere, so dass das Leseerlebnis für mich recht rund war.
James Haresign
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek, space
Sean Randall
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it
The first in a series spanning 6 books and perhaps as many authors, Infection throws us right into an epidemic of interesting proportions; very genetically specific ones. i won't go into too many details of the plot, but will note that sometimes this book felt like a trial run itself.

"The big question is motive, It can't be
racial purity. It can't be the Purity League. In fact, Starfleet has
only been able to come up with one possible motive... Practice."
Captain Picard.

Apart from that, there was
Paul
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
PLOT OR PREMISE:
This is the first of six books dealing with biological terrorism by an unknown foe. The story is interesting, as a planet has been infected with a plague with an 100% fatality rate -- but only for those aliens who are of mixed-race...pure breeds remain unaffected!
WHAT I LIKED:
I am not a hard-core sci-fi reader, but I do enjoy Star Wars and Star Trek. This is definitely different from most ST:TNG plots where they steer away from racial relations that aren't easily solved. The plo
Dan Quigley
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek-books
This is the first book in the Double Helix series of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Betancourt writes a short and highly readable novel. The plot is imaginative and well-paced, with a good deal of suspense. A reader even has the opportunity to learn some interesting science concepts in the field of microbiology as a side-benefit.

The main objection any critic could raise againt the book is that at least one of the characters was not portrayed at all accurately. One of the subplots is Worf neglec
Jimyanni
Nov 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This is a reasonably good story, set early in the Next Generation series during the period when Tasha Yar was still alive, Will Riker was still clean-shaven, his fellow officers were still frequently surprised by Data's capabilities, and Worf was still unsure of the proper balance between his Starfleet culture and his Klingon culture. It's got a pretty good balance of action and drama, and does a fair to middling job of properly understanding and presenting the characters as they were at that po ...more
Josiah
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Plot: B
Writing: C-
Vocabulary: B-
Level: Moderate
Rating: PG13 (racism, extreme suffering leading to death, genocide, terrorism, drunken brawling, thoughts of past lovers, subterfuge)
Worldview: Any choice is valid so long as it doesn't hurt other people.

A year into the Enterprise-D's first mission, Captain Picard and his crew are still getting to know one another. Meanwhile, in another part of the galaxy the mysterious General has dispatched a terrorist to release a biological agent into the atmosp
Jacque Hodges (Carter)
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
I love Star Trek but was wondering who these people were who were impersonating my favorite characters. I don't know when this was written, it was just the next book in my kindle queue so it may have been written before the characters were fully developed in the first or second season of the series. If so, that may explain why I didn't really know these people. It's certainly not going to stop me from reading other stories by this author. The story was flat for me.

I see. I just read some of the
Jenny T
In the early days of Picard's captaincy, the Enterprise is called to Archaria III, a planet suffering from racial strife and a plague virus that has killed more than 40,000 people. While Dr. Crusher searches for a cure, the others seek to find out who intentionally unleashed it on the population (which we never do learn, this being Book 1 of 6)

A fairly average Trek novel, but I have a feeling it's leading up to something much bigger.
Joshua Palmatier
May 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
A mildly interesting Star Trek book. I'm taking this as more of a "prologue" for the entire Double Helix series, though. It was a quick, fast read, although I thought the idea behind it could have been developed more, the plot thickened so to speak. Perhaps that's what happens in the succeeding novels.
Angela
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Easy read set very early on in Next Gen. A planet is dying of a plague that only kills those of mixed race, someone is using a biological weapon. It's focus is mainly on Dr Crusher and Will. A quick read and a decent enough story.
Lori
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it
more science-- liked it, but could not find whole series cheap or at library. would read if found it all.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I absolutely loved this series. It was kind of Robin Cook meets Star Trek.
Jerry
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This series started out great; if only it had stayed that way.

See the review for more:

Theresa
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would, of course I love everything Star Trek. It was well written and an interesting story.
Ross
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good
Dwight Brown
Aug 23, 2012
Raul Herrero
Mar 16, 2016
ספרן הלילה
Oct 15, 2015
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Quarantine (Star Trek: Double Helix, #4)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • The First Virtue (Star Trek: Double Helix, #6)
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Heal (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #8)
  • A Time for War, A Time for Peace (Star Trek, the Next Generation)
  • Dyson Sphere (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #50)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Romulan Prize
  • Infiltrator (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #42)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)
John Gregory Betancourt (born October 25, 1963) is a writer of science fiction, fantasy and mystery novels as well as short stories. He has worked as an assistant editor at Amazing Stories and editor of Horror: The Newsmagazine of the Horror Field, the revived Weird Tales magazine, the first issue of H. P. Lovecraft's Magazine of Horror (which he subsequently hired Marvin Kaye to edit), Cat Tales ...more
More about John Gregory Betancourt

Star Trek: Double Helix (6 books)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Quarantine (Star Trek: Double Helix, #4)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • The First Virtue (Star Trek: Double Helix, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five