Start by marking “Modernizing Legacy Applications in PHP” as Want to Read:
Modernizing Legacy Applications in PHP

Modernizing Legacy Applications in PHP

Get your code under control in a series of small, specific steps.

As you apply these incremental refactorings in order, each one building on the last, you will steadily transform your legacy PHP application from a spaghetti mess to an organized, modern, testable application, free of globals and mixed concerns.
Published by Leanpub (first published May 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Modernizing Legacy Applications in PHP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modernizing Legacy Applications in PHP

Jeremy Ward
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Superb. This is one of those books that PHP developers from all skill levels will be able to glean value from, and I know after just a single read-through that it will be an oft-referenced resource when I need to convert my old legacy-based procedural code into something cleaner, object-oriented, and testable.

As a relative new-comer to object-oriented programming in general, I appreciated Jones's step-by-step descriptions of each step in the refactoring process as it has helped me identify the s
Andrii Bibik
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A must-read for beginners, good for intermediate. Advanced PHP programmers should know all this already.
Davi Alexandre
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I've read dozens of technical books and almost all of them suffer from the same problem: lack of real-world examples and a feeling that if you apply every concept and technique described in them you will end up with a perfect piece of software. Today, I am happy to say that "Modernizing Legacy Applications in PHP" is a rare exception to this.

Developers often think that the best way to fix legacy applications is by simply rewriting it from scratch. Paul Jones thinks differently, and right at the
Ruslan Voronkov
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
You will find this book helpful if you are faced with laborious and challenging task of maintaining a old legacy user faced php application that was given birth and raised without any best practises in mind.

As author himself explains concept of this book perfectly:

"We started out with a spaghetti mess of a legacy application. The entire application was based in the document root, and users browsed directly to page scripts. It used an include-oriented architecture, where merely including a file c
Matheus Faustino
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a nice book. Very technical, so it pass through includes/require and etc. it wqs good for me, because I could understand better some patterns and see other point of view in many cases. It contains some examples and they are linked, so you can see the evolution of the things.
Bruno Skvorc
Remontoire Joris
Oct 02, 2016
NLG
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a delightful and down to earth read when it comes to programming books. It read like a mentor telling you how to do things out of experience.

It goes through the important steps in order to tame the spaghetti - removing globals, separating domain from business logic and all the way to building a Dependency Injection container. You can see the evolution and how the ”craft is applied”.

I think the book fills an important gap between tutorials and other ”bigger” books. It doesn’t delve deep i
JAZIEL LOPEZ
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Regardless what your PHP level is, this book would come handy as a whole or as small set of guidelines either to resolve any technical debt or jump ahead book of reference for your next project.
Lot of best practices based upon years of experience are collected and put in practice by one of the most respected and influencer developer in PHP community
Mateusz Sojda
Mar 04, 2016
Matei Carpen
Jan 22, 2017

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Paul M. Jones is an internationally-recognized expert on PHP, performance benchmarking, and other technologies. He writes about software development, management, economics, business, politics, and culture.