Start by marking “Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class” as Want to Read:
Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class

Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class

(Invincible (Collected Editions) #4)

After the traumatic events of Invincible Volume 3: Perfect Strangers, Mark Grayson (a.k.a. Invincible) is left to pick up the pieces and try to continue on with some sort of life. His mother is a wreck, his friends don't understand and the super-villains of the world just want to beat him up. Mark has a lot on his shoulders and graduation is just around the corner. ...more
Published March 31st 2005 by Image Comics (first published February 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Invincible, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invincible, Vol. 4

Start your review of Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class
James DeSantis
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
More progress towards learning who Mark is. I love the aftermath of the fight with his father. Omni-man didn't hold back, and now Mark as his son has to deal with that.

Like I said previous, Invincible is very much a coming of age story. If you aren't in to that, want just superhero fan service, well it does give you some but it really focuses on character growth. I love the moments with his mother in this. The pain you feel is very very real. I also really like how they're planting seeds for
Sam Quixote
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Mark Grayson/Invincible and his ma are still reeling from the revelations about his pa Omni-Man. But Mark hasn’t got much time to reflect with aliens invading and high school graduation ahead. Being a teen superhero, eh?

There’s very little that’s decent in this one. I liked how Robert Kirkman showed the effects of Omni-Man’s absence like aliens deciding to have a punt at Earth now that he’s out of the picture, righting some perceived wrongs he made against them, with Mark and the other
Chad
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Mark and his mom try to cope with their dad's betrayal. This is something of a transitional volume as Mark finishes high school. Kirkman lays lots of little plot threads, some of which won't pay off for awhile. He's definitely in for the long haul at this point. The art is more consistent and clean with Ryan Ottley taking over the pencils. Kirkman does a great job of shifting back and forth between Spider-Man type drama and Superman like battles as Mark slowly grows into being Invincible. This ...more
47Time
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This volume feels like filler for something to come. While dealing with issues in his personal life, Mark does several quick missions for Cecil, but nothing to carry the overall story forward. Several more characters are introduced that will likely be explored next.

Mark becomes the protector of Earth, but the Immortal still doesn't trust him. The talk Mark had with his father during their fight was recorded by a communication device from Cecil. The recording causes an almost complete emotional
Robert
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoopla, image
Lord have mercy why did I have to "discover" this series AND Brian K. Vaughan's Runaways the same week? Cancel all my plans for January, Siri...
Paz R.M.
3.5 Stars!
Invincible is like a TV show. That's what I finally realized after finishing this volume.

What I mean is, Kirkman has created a series with great, hilarious, funny moments. Full with action scenes and your typical soap opera moments, with teen problems and angst and then Boom! Here comes the dramatic moment you weren't expecting and everything changes. Now, let's have some filler episodes.

Don't get me wrong, most of the time I don't have a lot of problems with filler moments. At least,
J.M.
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superheroes
INVINCIBLE Vol. 4 "Head of the Class" takes us further into the life of teenager Mark Grayson, in which the creative team of Kirkman and Ottley have extended the serious three-star effort they achieved with volume 3 "Perfect Strangers," as Mark struggles with balancing superhero life and high school.

After a shaky start with the first two collections, the story seems to have hit onto something with the third and fourth collections as some decent plotlines unfold. Kirkman sticks with his
Wing Kee
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Settling into a new status quo.

World: The art is solid, just as it has been in the series so far, the simple colors and linework really ground this series into something that is normal and that’s interesting. The world building is solid, it builds upon the last arc and sets up the new status quo for the world. I like how the world is slightly expanded but not by a whole lot and always in the point of view of Mark.

Story: The stuff at home and school is the best thing about this series so far, the
Belinda (TheBookBuddies)
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trade-paperbacks
Mark is still struggling with balancing normal life with superhero life, and Amber is starting to get suspicious. There are a few side stories that look like they’re all going to connect into one big picture soon, and I’m curious to see how that will go. I feel like shit is gonna go down real soon.
Dan
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
These books can't come fast enough through Inter Library Loan! Vol. 4 is another great installment in the story of high school senior and superhero Mark. The hero action is ramped up as he's sent on mission after mission by his government handler and new, more powerful bad guys are introduced. As Kirkman himself says in the notes at the end, there are a ton of really interesting subplots going on, and I can't wait to see how they all come out! Oh, and it's not all bam, pow, smash, either. These ...more
Glenn Burnside
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the peter parker/spider-man type story telling - young man, burdened with great power and great responsibility, trying desperately to hold on to a semblance of a normal life, and never quite pulling it off.
Patrick Saville
This volume takes place right after the jaw dropping incident of volume 3 and it just keeps getting better. Have I said already that I love this comic?
Michael Church
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image
More of what's becoming standard fare from Kirkman and Ottley (and Crabtree). This sees the continuation of previous storylines and more foundations being laid. After the big reveal in Volume 3, this is more of a building and transitionary volume. There are at LEAST 3 major subplots established through these stories, not to mention ones dealing with Mark's love life, his mom's situation and stability, and the beginning of college. The cast continues to shine and the more I get to know them, the ...more
Timothy Boyd
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A good comic series. Nice plot and art. The stories are a little more graphic and adult than the ones I started off reading in the 1960s but still not as bad as many of the ones that today's comics have turned into. The stories remind me of reading the good solid fun comic books of the older Marvel and DC era of the 1960's but undated to today's world. Recommended
Maria Kramer
Superhero drama meets dating drama - which is going to stick around a while. I don't mind it - it reminds me of Archie except, of course, with superpowers.
Dr Rashmit Mishra
3.5 out of 5 really

What I lIked :

This was basically a volume depicting the aftermath of the events that took place in Vol.3 .These mainly focused on how the new Guardians of the globe and the planet are dealing with threats in the absence of the original Guardians and Omni-man .

Another aspect that the aftermath dealt with was the emotional response from Mark and his mother , with the difficulties faced by Mark's mom really tugging your emotional heart strings.

Meanwhile the story once
J.L.
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-2018
This collection of issues felt like a pause in the grand scheme of things -- except absolutely not. I kind of wish the first issue had been more about Mark's mother Debbie, to get more of her perspective on things. It's heartbreaking to see her fall apart from Mark's eyes instead. Obviously we haven't seen the last of Omni-Man, but his family has to pick up the pieces in the meantime.

But time doesn't stop. These issues threw A LOT of subplots at us in a short span of time. Some big, some small
Adam
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ann Fernandez
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
The only reason I even vaguely considered giving this book a four star is because one character in this volume finally points out what I've had a problem with this whole time: WHY ARE ANY OF THESE PEOPLE SUPERHEROES?

Genuinely, it doesn't make sense why these people would risk their lives just to make the world a better place and for those flattering skin-tight costumes. None of them have any motivations, nor do they have any fear or doubts when other super-heroes, the most powerful super-heroes,
Meg
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, my-recs
This wasn't a bad installment but not my favorite either. I think Kirkman was trying to show how busy Mark is keeping himself in the wake of his father's......confessions. Yet by the end it just felt, disjointed. Seeing the emotional toll of what happened in volume 3 is good and at the same time the light hearted parts of this volume were well needed after the last volume. Volume 5 just got delivered and I'm excited to see what happens.
Chris Greensmith
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: invincible
"You want a drink? God, yes."
A change in tempo in some respects, this focus's more on the impact the superheroes have on their human relations ships, and how Mark juggles his two lives. Another great volume. This is where I got to before and stopped, now I can continue and see where this super story goes...4
Ryan Werner
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Ryan Ottley's artwork is making this a really fun read. Cory Walker's stuff always came off a bit too loose and light. We get some foundations for the next volume that I hope payoff big, but there's not much more here than a series of setups and the Baddie of the Week.
Peter
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Invicible, the superhero, becomes more accustomed to his new way of living. Characters grow new relationships form, others evolve, in short a great read. There are many plot threads established in this part that should be resolved at some point later in the series.
Pawan Rai
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe the best volume so far. Mark is now dealing with some larger issues.
Michael T. Christensen
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Writer and artist are in sync and this series fires on all cylinders.
Will Cooper
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little less action, but does a great job focusing on Mark's non-superhero life and how it's connected with his do-gooding.
Darnell
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Going back to generic superheroics instead of completely changing the status quo is disappointing. There is zero reason for him to go to college when he's the most important hero on the planet.
Aron
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm starting to really like this, it seems like every trade is a little better than the last one.
Nate
Invincible's universe continues to expand. Enjoyable installment.
Jenae
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
And now the story starts to lose me again.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Injustice 2, Vol. 1
  • Divinity II
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low

Invincible (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Invincible, Vol. 1: Family Matters
  • Invincible, Vol. 2: Eight Is Enough
  • Invincible, Vol. 3: Perfect Strangers
  • Invincible, Vol. 5: The Facts of Life
  • Invincible, Vol. 6: A Different World
  • Invincible, Vol. 7: Three's Company
  • Invincible, Vol. 8: My Favorite Martian
  • Invincible, Vol. 9: Out of This World
  • Invincible, Vol. 10: Who's the Boss?
  • Invincible, Vol. 11: Happy Days