Start by marking “Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking” as Want to Read:
Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking

Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking

Utilizing the ancient lore of Native Americans, Tom Brown passes on a timeless tradition that connects humankind to Earth.

This unique volume teaches us the basics of sight, smell, and taste; it shows us how to become one with nature, and how to receive all the signs and signals of the multitude of living creatures with whom we share the beauty and bounty of the wilderness.
Published October 15th 1986 by Berkley Books (first published January 1st 1960)

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking

Start your review of Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking
Chris
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
I don't know much about tracking but this book opened my eyes to a whole new world of human activity that I previously had no knowledge or appreciation of. Given how important hunting and tracking must have been to early humans, and the incredible details that can be learned from simple observation, I imagine this activity played a major part in the evolutionary rise of human intelligence.
D
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I checked this book out after being fairly impressed with audio lectures I'd listened to from the Art of Mentoring, the fohbder of which was mentored by Tom Brown Jr.

I was excited to read this book but found myself pretty skeptical right away. I did some googling and the general conclusion seems to be that Tom Brown Jr's abilities are very impressive to all who have witnessed them, but maybe take his anecdotes with a grain of salt. Which is unfortunate. And as should be pretty apparent upon
Peter
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
Flipping through the book when I bought it, I thought it was about identifying animal tracks by the size and shape. And the book has very detailed information about identifying tracks. What surprised me was how in depth the author was on being spiritually present when observing nature. There were lots of nuggets of wisdom interspersed throughout the book and I was pleasantly surprised that it was not a dry technical manual.
Belle Meade School
Jan 07, 2020 marked it as 700-799-arts-rec  ·  review of another edition
796.5
Paty Jager
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: research
This book has been useful in my research.
Laura Gilfillan
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-nonfiction
This book is full of wonderful advice on how to observe and appreciate nature. Much of Tom Brown's lore comes straight from the Native American traditions. The information in this book could be used to simply deepen one's experience with nature, or, with tons of practice, develop awesome tracking and stalking skills.
Furryfurry
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tracking
Fantasitc book on tracking. Easy to read and understand, entertaining stories and personal experiences and very informative. It has illustrations, not photographs which some may find disappointing, but I didn't think it was a problem at all.
Ben
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recipe for a good day: Read this book, go out to the woods, track a deer, sneak up on it, touch its tail. All the skills to blend into the wilderness, observe and track animals are in this book. AWESOME!
Cathy
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Certainly taking nature observation to the next level. The author is honest in his repeated comments that "dirt time" is the only way to go. Interesting to read, but I will also be honest and say that I don't want to devote as much time as it will take to be as good as he is.
Lee
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is more a reference manual than other books by Tom Brown Jr. (e.g. The Tracker) but given that you know that, it is one of the few books that continually seems to live on my bedside table.
Elvira
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it
great ideas - now i just have to PRACTICE!!
Charles
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good book for outdoors folks and survivalist, title is true for contents, this is one of the Tom Brown that are a must.
Don Gubler
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tom Brown is amazing. It is almost unfathomable that someone can do the things that he does and he is trying to teach others the tricks. Amazing.
Kelda
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: permaculture
This guys knows what he's doing! Plenty of cool exercises I've turned around and taught to kids, or friends or whatever. Fun.
Terry Floyd
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
tHIS BOOK IS A VERY GOOD READ!!
Andrea Huehnerhoff

• Map Reading and Land Navigation: FM 3-25.26
  • The Miracle Worker
  • The Peripheral
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • That Wild Country: An Epic Journey through the Past, Present, and Future of America's Public Lands
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • The Joy of x: A Guided Tour of Math, from One to Infinity
  • Nature's Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • The Metropolitan Museum of Art: The History and Legacy of America’s Largest Art Museum
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Shatterglass (The Circle Opens, #4)
  • Hindi (Teach Yourself)
  • Incredible Wild Edibles: 36 Plants That Can Change Your Life
  • Hamilton: The Revolution
  • How to Keep a Naturalist's Notebook
  • Self-Defense: Nerve Centers & Pressure Points for Karate, Jujitsu and Atemi-Waza
Tom Brown, Jr. is an American naturalist, wilderness tracker and the author of numerous books, including a series of Field Guides. Brown attributes his tracking skills and his spiritual philosophy to the teachings of a Lipan Apache elder named Stalking Wolf, who instructed Brown during his childhood. Brown refers to Stalking Wolf as "Grandfather" in his writings.

-----------------------