Start by marking “Moon Magic” as Want to Read:
Moon Magic

Moon Magic

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  342 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In 'Moon Magic' Dion Fortune's heroine, Vivian Le Fay, appears as Lilith Le Fay, and uses her knowledge of moon-tides to construct an astral temple of hermetic magic.
Published June 1st 2003 by Weiser Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Magic

Janet
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic-studies, novels
As Dion Fortune herself states in her introduction, this is not a novel for entertainment, but a novel that illustrates the application of the magical theories described in her non-fiction works. Perhaps to someone unfamiliar with those concepts this might be simply an interesting fantasy, but I found it quite powerful, illuminating, and inspiring.
Jen McConnel
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dion Fortune's books are packed with esoteric wisdom, and she's sometimes a hard author to read. I've been working my way slowly through this novel for months, but last night I was finally able to finish it.

This book is the sequel to "The Sea Priestess", but it could easily be read and understood alone. I preferred this novel, in fact.

Lilith Le Fey is a strange woman by the standards of pre-war British society. She lives alone, practices ancient magic, and is searching for a priest to help her c
Carolina Montague
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Carolina by: Deborah Bennett
I read a friend's copy in 1980 and when it was reissued, got a copy of my own.

Fortune was a member of occult circles in the early to mid 20th century. She writes with the authority of one who is steeped in the occult traditions she uses in this novel.

The crotchety character of Malcolm, the doctor selected for her by the gods to work magic to create a shift in the collective consciousness by the ritual she creates is quite vivid, as is the priestess. What she seeks to shift is the repressive two-
Manfred Manfred
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
just about the best occult book of its type
Lissa Notreallywolf
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: occult-fiction
I decided to read Dion Fortune's fiction to see how much of an influence she has been on some other novelists that I have enjoyed. Yes for Katerine Kurtz, and yes for Mercedes Lackey. It may simply be the Western Magical tradition that I am homing in on, but further reading will make that clear. I also noted that Forturne referenced her fiction in Pyschc Self Defense which was recommended by my friend Ted.
Her novels are marked by a celebration of the English "race" sort of a nationalistic pride
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this ages ago with the pagan group on goodreads. I'm a fan of Dion Fortune. It couldn't have been easy being an occult practitioner in her day. She showed us the way through the Door Without a Key . . .
Flynn
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
The vast majority of the book is wonderfully written, but the parts channeled after her death are for the most part deeply lacking, with occasional insights into what I hope Dion would have written.
Gabriel Clarke
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
An interesting book but, sadly, not a good one. The first three chapters have the same skilled sense of character and place as the first three quarters of The Sea Priestess. Then the magician with the lecture notes takes over. The other thing which is even harder to ignore is the misogyny which is explicit and pronounced in so many places. Like Margaret Thatcher, Lillith is a goddess who revels in the worship according by the men in a man's world and who seldom shows anything other than contempt ...more
Nea
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved Lilith's courage, power and overall presence. What a perfect character! Strong yet gentle, masterful yet patient with her "student."

I did feel, however, that the book came to a rather abrupt end. When Lilith says in chapter 17, "We have done the first part of that which we set out to do..." I expected a lot more to happen. But the book was over in the very next chapter. That was my only semi-complaint. The writing was great, the characters kept me interes
Micelle Coetsee
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: esoteric
The story started out well. The first three chapters captivated me but unfortunately the change over to the next section hindered the initial flow. From here on it became more of an instruction manual than a novel. However, I enjoyed the content and was intrigued as to where the plot would lead. It will be an insightful read to those interested in the esoteric.
Will
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly well written

This book is a sort of sequel to see priestess, but it was never finished by the author, and the final third was channeled by a different author. There's a lot of male versus female energy, and the different dynamics that come out of a very repressed society. I would definitely recommend reading it if you want to get lost in the mysteries.
Aaron Meyer
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
My favorite of the fictional works of Dion Fortune. I liked it better than the Sea Priestess which was the first in the series. Like the Sea Priestess, this work is an essential one on the shelf just for the demonstration of how occult ideas work in life.
Cliff Vititoe
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the way Dion writes, a little old fashion at times but wonderful, or so I think. She gives you enough about the characters without bogging you down with to much detail. By the time I finished the book I had a good understanding of Ms. Fortune's spirituality and beliefs.
Jan
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fascinating look into the world of ceremonial magic! I find her sense of modernity about gender roles and relationships and society very interesting for the time period. This is well worth the read.
Julie
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was hard work. I have read Dion Fortune's fictional books before and coped with the awkward language and general stiff air of the tale pretty well because they've been a lot shorter but this was almost painful to get through I am afraid.
Nicole Diamond
Nov 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Sheena Cundy
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this sequel to Sea Priestess... great characters again! And the author's magical knowledge shines through from every page. Great book.
Paul
  • Magick Without Tears
  • The Witches' Goddess
  • Psychic Dreamwalking: Explorations at the Edge of Self
  • Practical Sigil Magic: Creating Personal Symbols for Success
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Hekate Liminal Rites - A Study of the Rituals, Magic and Symbols of the Torch-Bearing Triple Goddess of the Crossroads
  • Lammas Night
  • Aradia: Gospel of the Witches
  • The Book of Ceremonial Magic
  • Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism
  • The Kabbalah Unveiled
  • The Tree Of Enchantment: Ancient Wisdom and Magic Practices of the Faery Tradition
  • Charms, Spells, and Formulas: For the Making and Use of Gris Gris Bags, Herb Candles, Doll Magic, Incenses, Oils, and Powders
  • Postmodern Magic: The Art of Magic in the Information Age
  • Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism
Violet Mary Firth Evans (better known as Dion Fortune), was a British occultist and author. Her pseudonym was inspired by her family motto "Deo, non fortuna" (Latin for "by God, not fate").

From 1919 she began writing a number of novels and short stories that explored various aspects of magic and mysticism, including The Demon Lover, The Winged Bull, The Goat-Foot God, and The Secrets of Dr. Tavern
More about Dion Fortune...

“He had a sudden twinge of conscience concerning his responsibilities at the seaside villa, but dismissed it as quixotic. What he was doing was harming no one, and the blessing and peace of it all was so great a boon. He had tried cutting it off drastically once, and the result had been an explosion of emotion he had no mind to precipitate again. What earthly need was there to give up his dream-woman who harmed nobody and helped him so tremendously?” 1 likes
“Phantasms of the Living,” by Gurney and Podmore.” 1 likes