Start by marking “The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple #9)” as Want to Read:
The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple #9)

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple #9)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  23,862 Ratings  ·  847 Reviews
Movie star Marina Gregg stars in a real-life mystery when her biggest fan is poisoned. Scene stealer Miss Jane Marple suspects that the lethal cocktail was intended for someone else and wonders who's next for a final fade-out.
Published 1965 by Fontana (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nadine It is explained that bot Ella and Giuseppe tried to blackmail Marina. She had access to the nasal inhaler for Ella and Giuseppe just needed to be…moreIt is explained that bot Ella and Giuseppe tried to blackmail Marina. She had access to the nasal inhaler for Ella and Giuseppe just needed to be shot. After all, Marina either committed suicide, or was killed by her husband to avoid her going to jail, so nothing could have been proved completely. I have always gone for the husband killing Giuseppe, and then killing Marina, and all letting it just flow under the bridge to allow no nasty gossip to remain.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Meredith Wikipedia entry for Gene Tierney says so :) her multiple romances and marriages were public and common knowledge and she also suffered from manic…moreWikipedia entry for Gene Tierney says so :) her multiple romances and marriages were public and common knowledge and she also suffered from manic depression as does Marina Gregg in the novel.(less)

Brina
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing like staying up late on a summer evening reading a mystery to discover whodunit. Mysteries have long been one of my favorite genres to read. While I have a few contemporary series I do enjoy, there is no one who measures up to the queen of mystery writing, Agatha Christie. I am generally a fan of her Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, but I have recently discovered her other famous sleuth, Miss Jane Marple. In A Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, Miss Marple is once again front an ...more
Susan
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Miss Marple novel is set in St Mary Mead, but it is a village that has seen changes. Miss Marple’s old friend, Dolly Bantry, has sold Gossington Hall and moved into the East Lodge, while ‘the Development’ – a new housing estate, encroaches on the very outskirts of the village. There is even a supermarket, which is viewed with suspicion by elderly ladies, who enjoy shopping as a form of social interaction and are not necessarily in a rush to hurl items into a basket. Miss Marple is more elde ...more
Adrian
Well, there I was all happy that I had all the Agatha Christie books, courtesy of my mother, so participating in the Miss Marple Challenge was going to be fun. Then we got to July and all of sudden I found my mother didn't actually leave me all the Agatha Christie books, so I had to go hunting for the matching volumes i was missing (4 missing out of 39 I think). Anyway courtesy of Abe books I now DO have all Agatha Christie books.
Ok here we go....

You know its strange, I knew there was a big clue
Issa Deerbany
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
احدى المدعوات الى حفل خيري تموت فجأة عن طريق التسمم
من قتلها في هذا الحشد الكبير .
بعد التحقيقات يتبين انها ليست المقصودة بل واعية الحفل ممثلة شابة.
لغز مثير ومشوق

Recommends it for: Classic Mystery readers
Cyndi
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I really thought I had this one figured out.
It begins to look like a famous actress has a murderer after her. Luckily the main detective on the case has this sweet little old aunt who is really nosy.
Miss Marple finds clues no one else does and has a line of gossipy friends. Gotta love Agatha Christie!
Veronique
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Do you remember the Lady of Shalott? The mirror crack’d from side to side: ‘The doom has come upon me,’ cried the Lady of Shalott. Well, that’s what she looked like.

I very much enjoyed re-reading this Christie mystery, not for the murder as such - the identity of the culprit and reason branded in my mind - which was very well crafted, but for Miss Marple’s growing loss of patience with her situation. Our famous spinster is driven to exasperation at the administrations of the kind but infuriatin
Obsidian
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please note that I gave this book 3.5 stars, but rounded it up to 4 stars on Goodreads

It's been a while, but Moonlight Reader and I did a buddy read of this book. You can find her review Miss Marple Wins Again.

I do love Agatha Christie because after all of this time she feels as familiar and comfortable as an old shoe. I read this one a few years back, so it was nice to revisit it since I had the book on my shelf.

We have Miss Marple dealing with the changing of the village of St. Mary Mead aft
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Book 8 for the Miss Marple Challenge. This one takes us back to St Mary Mead but what a different St Mary Mead it is. No long the quiet, quaint country village, many changes have taken place. The old country homes sold, a new “development” with new inhabitants, a department store, and even a film studio close by. The older residents of St Mary Mead―Miss Marple among them―try to come to terms with and adapt to the changes, thankful for what is left of the old life. But Miss Marple soon realises, ...more
Nandakishore Varma
Out flew the web and floated wide;
The mirror crack'd from side to side:
"The curse is upon me!" Cried
The Lady of Shallot.

Another classic of typical Christie misdirection. During a party hosted by the famous actress Marina Gregg, her rather silly fan Heather Babcock is killed through a poisoned drink - but it soon comes out that that drink was meant for the actress herself. That, coupled with the actress's horrified expression as she stared at something over Heather's shoulder as she prattled (p
Anfel Bourouina
أغاثا كريستي دائما تبهرني بنهاياتها الغير متوقعة ,,,,

رائعة :)
Leslie
3.5*
While I find the way Miss Marple deals with her increased age more relevant now that my parents are in their late 80s, I still don't really like this one.

Emilia Fox does a good narration (though I found her American accents didn't sound like any American I know!); too bad I couldn't find an audiobook edition narrated by Joan Hickson!
Eric Townsend
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mirror Crack’d from Side to Side is the third and final Agatha Christie book that I picked up last year during a couple of big book sales I went to, the others being Murder in Retrospect and Passenger to Frankfurt. This is the 9th book in the Miss Marple companion books, but the first one that I’ve read so far. As I have come to expect from Christie, The Mirror Crack’d was an excellent murder mystery written in her usual older style that is something unseen in current publications. The writi ...more
Gaetano
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bellissimo giallo della Christie con l’adorabile Miss Marple alle prese con… lo scorrere del tempo: l’età avanza e, con insofferenza, deve tenerne conto anche lei.

Tutti sembrano un po’ invecchiati, il medico, le amiche, il borgo e persino i protagonisti del mondo del cinema.

Non è cambiato, però, lo smalto dell’investigatrice che, anche questa volta, riuscirà a dipanare una matassa ingarbugliata più del solito.

Naturalmente, come quasi sempre accade con i libri della Christie, non sono riuscito a
Book Concierge
Audiobook performed by Emilia Fox.
3.5***

Miss Marple is showing her age and the doctor insists that she have a nursemaid/companion. But she’s really not so frail as people think, and she can still out-detect the most experienced Scotland Yard inspector. When a local woman is dies during a large charity event at an estate now owned by Hollywood actress Marina Gregg and her latest husband (is he # 4 or # 5?) authorities discover that the cocktail she drank was doctored. But who would want to kill M
Danyo
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
D'estate mi trovo benissimo a leggere... infatti sto divorando un sacco di libri! In questo caso ho finito in un giorno Assassinio allo Specchio... anche se il titolo c'entra poco con la storia (ho sperato di vedere questo specchio fino alla fine ma niente 😂).

Ho *amato* l'atmosfera stessa di questo paesino di campagna inglese, con i suoi pettegolezzi, luoghi comuni, voci che girano... Miss Marple è una vecchietta deliziosa, e tutto ciò che fa di contorno al romanzo non è pesante come in altri ca
Suzanne
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I didn't remember reading this until about chapter 2 - when I clearly remembered the killer and the motive - before a murder even happened. It was kind of fun reading it from that side - I do love Agatha Christie.
Camila
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me-gustó, 2016
Este libro se me hizo algo pesado, usualmente leo en el transporte público, pero con este me daba sueño así que no podía. En sí, no me encontraba especialmente metida en la historia, como me pasó con las otras que he leído de Agatha, debe ser la que menos me ha gustado. Aunque, claro, eso no significa que no lo haya hecho, sino que los otros libros me han parecido prácticamente perfectos.

En este caso no tenemos al conocido Hércules Poirot, sino que a Miss Marple, una anciana de buena cuna con un
Jessica
I read an article a while ago about an analysis of the words used in Agatha Christie's novels and how you can actually see her dementia showing itself in her later works based on the complexity (and lack thereof) of language. I couldn't stop thinking about that while reading this novel--partly because there is a picture of a very fabulous but also very ancient Agatha on the back cover, but moreso because Miss Marple herself grappling with her old age. Subject to the unwanted doting by a patroniz ...more
Gabriela
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, fiction, mystery
A good crime/mystery novel. I had plenty of theories and none was what happened at the end. I did guessed what happened though, at the same time that "Miss Marple" our protagonist did, and I wish that I didn't until she explains it, that would have made the "mystery solved" feeling even better.

*Full review to come*
Hind Riyadh
اجاثا كريستي ..
هي أول من سحبتني لأغرق في بحر الكتب والروايات ..

لا استطيع التخلي عنها و عن رواياتها التي تفيض جمالا ..

رواية جميلة ,وحبكتها جميلة خاصه النهايه ..لكني قرأت لاجاثا ماهو اجمل منها بكثير ..
Cristina
La fregatura con i libri di Agatha Christie è che ormai ne hanno fatto così tante trasposizioni cinematografiche o televisive che ti pare di averli letti e invece li hai solo visti.
Così con questo volume, che visto ho visto ma letto no, finora.
Non uno dei miei preferiti, anche se come sempre di piacevole lettura. Movente davvero evidente, stavolta, quantomeno perchè ribadito e sottolineato venti volte, anche se te ne accorgi solo a fine libro, come sempre.
Molto cinematografico, in effetti, anche
Phayvanh
Dec 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Miss Marple fans
Recommended to Phayvanh by: library book sale
80-year-old Miss Marple is portrayed as too old a lady to go about town on her own, though both she and her doctor know better, and which Inspector Craddock learns himself. Given the conventions of the time, though, she is obliged to accept the household help her nephew Raymond pays for, and not protest. Pity. She could have solved the crime in much less time otherwise.

We are back in St. Mary Mead of Much Benham, but this time, the outside world encroaches in, what with the development around th
Jan C
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england, 2017
Been a while since I have read this. There were a number of parts I didn't remember. And the movies are so different from the story.

It is stressed here how frail Miss Marple has become and that she needs someone to live with her. And someone else to come in and clean. Miss Knight (the live-in) is being provided by nephew Raymond and she is a real pest. Miss Marple creates errands for her to run, even knowing that things aren't ready yet. And the cleaner, Cherry, is nice and provides a valuable c
Kelsy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobooks
I simply adored this installment in the Miss Marple series. I'm reading them quite out of order, so I'm unaware of a lot of the surrounding context, but in this one, Miss Marple has a live-in assistant who coddles her and drives her crazy. (This seems like a fairly recent development.) I loved the portrayal of aging and how frustrating it would be to rely on other people, especially for someone as keen-witted and capable as Miss Marple.

The mystery itself seemed to be less of a focus here, which
Cessie
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okuduğum pek çok hikâyenin sonunu kolayca tahmin edebilirim, nedense Agatha Christie'ninkileri edemiyorum. Uzun süredir bu kadar keyif alarak bir polisiye okumamıştım galiba. (Yıldız Cinayetleri'ni saymazsak.)

Başta Miss. Marple'ın yaşlanması sinirlerimi bozdu ama sonunda kendimi, onun bakıcısı ile tatlı tatlı çekişmesine kıkırdarken buldum.

Puanlama konusunda objektif davranabildiğimi sanmıyorum.
Wend
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. AC brings in the changes in the 1960's, a new housing development, the hoover. A shame Miss Marple is ageing, but she remains sharp, even if the eyesight is not what is as.
Patty
"Heather Badcock meant no harm. She never did mean harm, but there is no doubt that people like Heather Badcock (and like my old friend Alison Wilde), are capable of doing a lot of harm because they lack - not kindness, they have kindness - but any real consideration for the way their actions may affect other people.”

This was my second Miss Marple audiobook in a few months. I enjoy listening to Christie's novels on audio - the readers are always excellent and the mysteries are not so taxing tha
Ririn

Where else in the world you will meet all those coincidences, where all the unlikely people will gather in that one place and then a tragedy happened?

Only in a murder mystery books

For the first half, it was quite a slow read. Well...it feels like walking in the fog since you have to make your own investigations and deductions...hahaha.

But it was exhilarating in the second half, especially during the clues (memories, snippets, gossips, etc) organization. It was so excited that I can't
Sarah ~
مأساة ..
وكم كبير من القتلى في هذه الرواية..
جريمة تقع في قصر السيدة بانتري السابق وهي صديقة السيدة ماربل (إذا تذكرون وقعت أحداث رواية جثة في المكتبة في ذلك القصر )
حيث وصلت ممثلة شهيرة تدعى مارينا ..وزوجها وحاشيتها الكبيرة ..
وخلال حفل خيري يقام في القصر .. تقتل السيدة بادكوك ..وهي سيدة لطيفة وثرثارة يبدو أن هناك ماضيا يربطها بالممثلة مارينا غريغ ..
وتتوالي الأحداث لتحلها لنا في النهاية السيدة ماربل ..
*كنت متوقعة النهاية ربما لم أحل كل أوجه الجريمة ولكن لب الموضوع خطر ببالي ..
مملة قليلا ..ربما لأن
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • Prisoner's Base (Nero Wolfe, #21)
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • Agatha Christie
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)

More about Agatha Christie...

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library
  • The Moving Finger
  • A Murder Is Announced
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye
  • 4:50 from Paddington
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)
“Why shouldn't I hate her? She did the worst thing to me that anyone can do to anyone else. Let them believe that they're loved and wanted and then show them that it's all a sham.” 262 likes
“One never quite allows for the moron in our midst.” 20 likes