Start by marking “Evenfall: Volume 1: Director's Cut (In the Company of Shadows, #1 part #1)” as Want to Read:
Evenfall: Volume 1: Director's Cut (In the Company of Shadows, #1 part #1)

Read Book

Evenfall: Volume 1: Director's Cut

(In the Company of Shadows #1 part 1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  2,520 Ratings  ·  415 Reviews
In a post-apocalyptic future, the Agency works behind the scenes to take down opposition groups that threaten the current government. Their goals justify all means, even when it comes to their own agents.

Sin is the Agency's most efficient killer. His fighting skills and talent at assassination have led to him being described as a living weapon. However, he is also known to
ebook, Director's Cut, 334 pages
Published June 2nd 2014

To ask other readers questions about Evenfall, please sign up.
Santino Hassell Yes! Several people who read the original have read Volume 1 of the Director's Cut so far. There are more significant changes in Volume 2 that may…moreYes! Several people who read the original have read Volume 1 of the Director's Cut so far. There are more significant changes in Volume 2 that may warrant a reread. Especially the Monterrey arc.(less)

Lola
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars.

‘‘You have the strongest sweet tooth of anyone I’ve ever met. Only you would even consider dessert after a large shake like that.’’
Sin drank some more. ‘‘Sugar deprivation as a child.’’
‘‘You’re going to make yourself diabetic.’’
That was met with a scoff. ‘‘Like I’ll live long enough to suffer the effects.’’

You better stay alive, Sin. I didn’t get attached to your cold-blooded yet endearingly broken self for you to abandon me… ever. You can keep joking around – it gives you
Deborah
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow.
This book was just....
It's set in the post-apocalyptic future where the Agency works covertly to protect the current government. Doing anything that it deems necessary using whatever means it has available.
Sin is the Agency's most efficient killer, he's a living legend surrounded my mystery and fear, he's a killing machine they find difficult to control.
When we first encounter Sin he's being kept unconscious in a box.

Unlike the other cells in Maximum Security, this one had an expanse of gla
Sammy Loves Books
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Strong Characters
Recommended to Sammy by: Lenore
4.5 "Beautiful Monsters have Stollen my Heart" Stars
I NEED Part 2 NOW!!!

Boyd Beaulieu

black shirt

Boyd is beautifully androgynous with a lean slim build, blond hair and amber eyes. He's also an inexperienced, level 1 agent that has just been paired with the level 10 "monster" Hsin.

""…They did a full evaluation of me during training. They would not have sent me off as your trial partner if I could conceivably pose any type of threat to you.”

“Believe me, sweetheart, I feel anything but threatened…"

Ahhhh, Boy
Susan
Sep 01, 2014 added it

REVIEW REMOVED

How is it that we GR'ers will get up in arms and add to our AUTHORS BEHAVING BADLY shelves so easily (like when an author comes into our review space?), BUT, when an author TRULY is behaving badly, possibly illegally, but definitely unethically, we dismiss it and scream "Drama! I want nothing to do with drama!"?

I've been on GR a long time, and I get the aversion to drama. But this is SO. MUCH. WORSE.
Cristopher
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-books

5 STARS!

I had a taste..and now I'm fucking hooked.

Took me a very long time to summon the courage and read this. And just like everything I tried to avoid, this too turned out to be...heartbreakingly beautiful.

The dark atmosphere of the world this story has got me sucked right in when I only wanted to check what the fuss is about. You know, like maybe just have a feel and figure if it's really that good as what the fan base is saying. So I could stash it in my tbr list. I only planned to read a
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"Just let me fix you"
description

Evenfall hits all the right spots, punches you in the stomach, leaves you on the ground sobbing and then summons Hsin Vega to come shoot you through your heart.

The Characters
"Now shut the hell up, drink your chocolate milk, and stop being a pain in my ass."
I think you know when a book is going to be great when you find yourself loving the minor, evil, amazing, and main characters equally. (view spoiler)
Norah Una Sumner
Do not make yourself suffer and listen to Troye Sivan's Wild while reading this book like I did. Just don't.

Me: *I am totally going to write a long review for this freaking book*
Me: *thinks about Sin & Boyd, the story, the writing, the dynamics, the drama, the action, the tension...*
Me: *Maybe sometimes words are not enough?*

So, listen, go into this book without any knowledge, just like I did, and you will love it most certainly. Because when a book simultaneously tries to give you a heart a
Wendy
I know many are removing their ratings and reviews of all the books they have read, written by Santino Hassell, in light of his despicable behavior. I have deleted my ratings from all Santino books I have read, because I too am shocked and appalled!!! I won't do it with the ICOS series though. I am gonna be honest here and say, that this series is one of the best I have ever read, and I am sure Ais played a big part in my enjoyment. As far as I know, Ais had nothing to do with all that has happe ...more
Jenn
Review Removed

This is a LONG time coming. I will not support gaslighting, bullying, lying, ethically immoral people. Fin
Dani
Santino Hassel is my weakness. No. Scratch that. Santino’s writing style is my weakness and his collaboration with Ais was splendid.

As usual, I started this without reading the blurb, I was almost blind. I only knew the little things that my beautiful friend Vir told me. I didn’t know what the hell was going on; I just was sucked into the story thanks to Santi’s beautiful prose.

I already have my fair share of dystopian stories by now so I’m quite taken aback by how perfectly this story worked fo
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Confusing feelings*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

I'm not sure what to feel about this book. I like the concept, the story and I found the characters interesting... However, the was things that bugged me a lot. Hsin ‘ Sin’ Liu Vega (28), the assassin who deserves way fucking better, reminded me of Ty from Cut&Run series and you know all that I love Ty. and Boyd Beaulieu (18 in the first 8%, 19 for the most part, and then 20?) I liked in the beginning. I understood why he were how he was, however, at 70% I l
Dalia
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, military, abuse
Apparently books I try to avoid for whatever reason turn out to be awesome. Like this one. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic future and I think that's what unnecessarily threw me off reading this for so long.

Sin is the most efficient assassin in the Agency. He has been trained to be a killer since the age of eight. He's mentally unstable and if something triggers him he goes berserk and he's in an automatic kill mode. People are scared of him, but they also harass him and treat him like a m
Virginia Books
Rated removed because of this:

Original review:

This is an MM master piece. And I know that calling  a book a "master piece" is a huge praise, and one I don't give easily. And, considering this is a first installment (or half of it, if you've read the previous edition) I am saying a lot. This is a beginning and even so, I'm calling this book a "master piece".

I could count with one hand the books I've given such a privi
Tara♥

“If there was a hell beyond what he knew, he would welcome it. After all, a life without living was simply a death without dying. What more was there to fear or hate but life, endless life, with no respite?”

So guess what? Apparently World War III not only changed the face of the planet and killed millions. It also turned a large number of people into psychopaths, sexual predators or sadistic assholes and put them in charge. What could possibly go wrong?

I’ve started a list. Well it’s actually two
⊱ Poppy ⊰
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD!!

Will review after the completion of this series!!
CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP!!
Sara
Jun 20, 2014 marked it as won-t-read-for-reasons
Review Removed
Emma Sea
Do I rate this now? Do I wait till I finish book two?

I NEED BOOK TWO!

I need Sin and Boyd to have much fucking. With each other, please.

***

All right! *rubs hands gleefully*

I have DNFd the full version twice, so I've been waiting for this rewrite. BUT do I launch in now, or wait until part 2 is finished in the autumn?
Alisa

“Review deleted because the author may have have misrepresented themselves as ownvoices and accepted cash gifts from fans under potentially false pretenses.”

statement from a publisher of this author's in regards to allegations of abuse and fraud
Christelle
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Addendum (now that I have read the whole series) : the best series I’ve read so far. It’s unique,phenomenal….HIGHLY recommended !!!

And to get a feel of this epic read : watch this :

----------------------------------------------------------
One of the best BR for me : officially with Karen and on the sides with Jewel and Josy (I repeat : one of my best BR, just in case somebody didn’t get the memo !!). Thanks to them all.

Time for me to discover what is label
Rachel
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Not Flawless …

The POV of one of the best written and much needed unbiased narrators shockingly didn't make the Director's Cut. Typos, grammatical flubs, plot holes and sentence construction issues still abound. Personally I found Hsin’s POV gave too much away and negated the depth of his mysterious and dangerous aura that drew me in to the story originally. The UST was replaced with steaminess - it will be subjective if this is a flaw or not. And unfortunately it appears that an attempt to enha
Ami
Jun 03, 2014 added it
Recommended to Ami by: Everyone and their dogs
** RATING IS REMOVED, BECAUSE REASONS.

Original Review stays under spoiler tag because Goodreads is first and foremost *my* record of reading activities, and the fiasco doesn't change the fact that I've read this book **

(view spoiler)
Desinka
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked Evenfall Vol. 1 Director's Cut a lot, as apparent from my rating. I first wrote the review for the second part so I don't want to repeat myself too much but in short: I loved Boyd and Sin and their relationship. Although I don't like angsty relationships and there was a lot of angst in this one, it didn't sound artificial and actually built up my expectations. These were not disappointed (in Vol. 2). I didn't find the world or the plot too realistic but that didn't hinder my enjoyment of ...more
Marita Hansen
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK THAT I'VE READ IN A LOOOONG TIME!!! Off to read the next one. Will do a review as soon as I can gather my thoughts.

BTW, found a perfect picture for Sin / Hsin. Now, just got to find Boyd's.

Connie Cat
4.5 stars. Wow. 14 hours of reading that just flew by in a flash. Love the two MC's and the world-building. And the side characters - Ryan, Owen, and even Jeffery. Anxious to see where this story will go. Moving on to Book 2 quickly!

Daniel
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

First of all, I haven't read the extended version of ICoS, so my review is done with everything I've got from the edited "Evenfall" first volume.

I must say I have a thing for post-apocalyptic settings, I really do, but this is not what I expected. Not necessarily in a bad way, mostly because when I read apocalypse I either think of 2012 or The Walking Dead, which is not what have happened there.

World War III has long wiped out every street in Earth as we know them, the greatest cities h
Tasha
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-adult
This took me a while to get into and while there were some things that I didn't like overall, Evenfall (Vol 1) was still an enjoyable read and I've come to love Boyd and Sin.
Hey! I write LGBTQIA+, usually with a twist. My solo works are mostly fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural, or similar. Currently working on Wildwood Rising, a long LGBTQIA+ fantasy series; first book written/being edited: Incarnations.

Helpful links? Helpful links!
-My masterlist of original writing: http://aisylum.com/writing-masterlist/
-Some of my favorite solo stories: https://archiveofourown.org/user

In the Company of Shadows (6 books)
  • Evenfall (In the Company of Shadows, #1)
  • Evenfall: Volume 2: Director's Cut (In the Company of Shadows, #1 part #2)
  • Afterimage (In the Company of Shadows, #2)
  • The Interludes (In the Company of Shadows, #3)
  • Fade (In the Company of Shadows, #4)
“Sin: I've survived a winter in Siberia when I was ten.
Boyd: what were you doing there at ten years old?
Sin: searching for Santa Claus.”
26 likes
“Don't you have anything better to fucking do other than babysit and eventually get killed by some psycho?"
"No." Boyd said without hesitation. "I don't.”
23 likes