Start by marking “Infinite Life” as Want to Read:
Infinite Life

Infinite Life

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  210 ratings  ·  17 reviews
One of Time magazine's 25 Most Influential People in America writes about taking responsibility for our own happiness and our actions

Robert Thurman is America's most popular and charismatic Buddhist. His first book, Inner Revolution, is an international bestseller and his lectures sell out to thousands.

Infinite Life demonstrates that our every action has infinite consequen
Published February 1st 2005 by Riverhead Books (first published February 19th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Infinite Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinite Life

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Infinite Life
Erik Akre
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: seekers of inspiration for generosity and giving
Shelves: buddhism
This book is remarkable, I think, because it teaches engagement in the world. Leading the "infinite lifestyle" involves, first and foremost, care for others. Thurman spends a good deal of text inviting and praising a lifestyle of giving generously, and becoming involved in the issues of the day.

One should live life as if it will carry on infinitely, and indeed it will in accordance with the Buddhist concept of the ever-returning boddhisattva. One follows the ethic of generosity--giving material
Jill
Jul 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddha, favorites
I really enjoyed Thurman's argument for the validity of the possibility of reincarnation in this book.
Jerry Worthylake
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Have read this book 5 times over. I love it's boiling down of the dharma. Clear and consise
Craig Williams
Aug 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I had first heard of Robert Thurman after watching a documentary called "One", in which the filmmakers tried to answer the timeless question: "What's the meaning of life?" They interview several notable spiritual gurus, Thurman included. What perked my interest was not only his answer, but that he is the father of Uma Thurman. That certainly explains her name.

Anyway, the man certainly earned his Phd in Buddhist Studies. He definitely knows what he's talking about. Even though I already knew most
Kathryn Jennex
I really enjoyed this. I didn’t read it cover to cover, I chose to look at topics that interested me the most. Robert Thurman writes in a way that makes Buddhist practices understandable and attainable. I particularly likes when he talks about meditating and says being mindful and interested in meditating does not have to be overwhelming. He gives an example of being in traffic and using that time to meditate. I recommend it, even if you’re just a little bit Bud-curious :) .
Bernadine Rosso
Oct 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Deep insights and intense realities brought to the surface. This book has the potential to carry one into life changing transformation, if chosen.
R.J.
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommend
companion book to a class I took with Thurman at The Tibet House.
Lectures were taken directly from text.
Very helpful book for exploring this line of teacher/philosphy.
Ariadne Deborah Fassel
I liked the chapter on creativity. I didn't much care for the American-centric exhortations, but he is not wrong. I can't put my finger on why, but this book wasn't as inspiring as I thought it might be. I had to force myself through it, and skimmed the last sections.

I particularly liked the quotes from Precious Garland and from Shantideva.
Amy
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of wisdom contained in this book for those that are willing to do the work. I got over half way in and my zest for reading the remaining text seemed tiresome to me. That being said, one sentence in this book stands out to me most profoundly. You are a dynamic evolutionary process.
Kathy
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is definitely a keeper to reread.
Stephanie Koclanis
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting!
Trevor Jones
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Don't let this book's cover deceive you: although it is rather middle-minded, straight forward recommendations on how to live life day-to-day, it is no mushy self-help book either. I respect Thurman enough for his scholarly studies and dedication to Tibetan Buddhism over the past several decades, but it is his attitude and positive approach to speaking to the reader that won me over.

Although I consider myself an atheist, I have serious Buddhist sympathies that are only so far away from reconcil
Marina Quattrocchi
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I saw Robert Thurman for the first time when he spoke at the University of Toronto, winter 2014. I was intrigued learning of the lifetime relationship he had with the Dalai Lama, so decided to go to his talk. It was a brutally cold winter evening, I went by myself and the building was hard to find, but afterwards I was so glad I went. He had everyone completely captivated for over 2 hours, and the time seemed much shorter because his talk was so humorous and engaging. We laughed the entire time, ...more
Connie Kronlokken
Robert Thurman makes the case for spiritual evolution here, showing its consequences for one's life and how, because of it, everything matters. I appreciate his ability to describe these concepts, developed over thousands of years of Buddhism in India and Tibet, in precise English. Having heard him speak a couple of times, I hear him very well in his writing!
Jenny
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who feel like a finger at the base of their spine is propelling them forward always
Shelves: buddhism
better.
Tammy
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Awakens the self to release habitual patterns of selfishness.
Scott Miles
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
How am I not myself?
Claire
rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2017
Oct 01, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Hidden Dimensions: The Unification of Physics and Consciousness
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • The Undefeated Mind: On the Science of Constructing an Indestructible Self
  • Say What You Mean: A Mindful Approach to Nonviolent Communication
  • The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami
  • Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart: A Buddhist Perspective on Wholeness
  • The Hollow (Sign of Seven, #2)
  • Blood Brothers (Sign of Seven, #1)
  • The Road Home: A Contemporary Exploration of the Buddhist Path
  • The Pagan Stone (Sign of Seven, #3)
  • Murder at the Inn
  • Mona Lisa Eyes (Danny Logan Mystery, #4)
  • The Romany Rye
  • The Yoga of Ordinary Living
Tenzin Robert Thurman is the Jey Tsong Khapa Professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies at Columbia University, holding the first endowed chair of Buddhist Studies in the United States. He is the author of the bestseller Inner Revolution, as well as Anger, Infinite Life, and other popular books. He is also a translator of Tibetan texts. He serves as co-founder and president of Tibet House US, a no ...more

Related Articles

“Eventually, you reach your goal of complete nondual freedom, the simultaneous nondual experience of supremely liberated cognitive dissonance, wherein you joyfully live the moment-to-moment reconciliation of all dichotomies. (p. 77)” 1 likes
“I invite you to embrace a new reality. It is not a matter of religion – it is a matter of fact, a matter of science, a matter of experiment, and a matter of awareness. I invite you to awaken to the infinite life you already have, no matter what your worldview. I invite you to take up responsibility for your own evolutionary destiny. I invite you to take advantage of your priceless human opportunity to make a definitive turn toward ultimate security, complete freedom, and unbounded happiness. (p. 23, The Nature of Reality)” 1 likes