Start by marking “Difference: The one-page method for reimagining your business and reinventing your marketing” as Want to Read:

"This book is a generous work of genius. The Difference Map is now an essential component for anyone who is serious about doing work that matters, and Bernadette Jiwa is the bright new star to lead us there."
—SETH GODIN

MARKETING IS NOT A DEPARTMENT IT'S THE STORY OF HOW YOU CREATE DIFFERENCE FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS.

We spent $500 billion globally on advertising in 2013. Eve
Published February 3rd 2014 by The Story Of Telling Press

To ask other readers questions about Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Difference

Start your review of Difference: The one-page method for reimagining your business and reinventing your marketing
Matthew
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Although this wasn't the best book I've ever read on marketing, it did have some great insights in its pages, and left me with more than a few things to think about. Here are some things I'm still chewing on...

"Creating difference...is about seeing things in a whole new light. It's about re-imagining what the problem or need might be, and then deciding that you will do whatever it takes to be the one to solve this problem for people"

"It isn't the person with the best idea who wins; it's the pers
Noam
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How do you make a difference in a world with at least 100 competitors by your side?

The best answer always calls the most difficult challenge: Transforming yourself, your listening and your story will attract exactly who you want to interact with- and will repay you with long lasting connections and opportunities.

An excellent practical guide that will teach you to focus on what matters, weigh your choices correctly, and build your assets the right way.
Andrea James
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I wanted to give this book a great rating because the author seemed likable. In fact, I probably would have given the book 2 stars if I didn't think she came across so well because the irony was that I didn't think the content of the book was terribly different to a lot of what I've been reading recently. And even after taking into consideration that there is a natural overlap of ideas in what we read, I still felt that as the book was championing offering a difference, it didn't quite do that e ...more
Emily
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quick read, useful template to add to a strategists bag of tricks.

Spend 45 minutes reading and try it out yourself. The examples she gives should help, even when working with slightly less disruptive brands.
Dipanshu Sharma
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
same old same old.. not worth the time.
Marie Wintriss
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! I underlined so much, and I now carry it around with me and constantly ponder her suggestions.
Sonja
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
It's a bit of a company laundry list, but there are gems within it. ...more
H.S. Palladino
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book, loved all the to the point actions. Will definitely let it sink and read it again.
F
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Such a great book. I believe anyone could get a valuable insight from this book.
Janelle Año
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short read with actionable insights. Although much of the stuff here has been said before in plenty of books, this is a great, more accessible introduction to modern marketing with more case studies than, say, Seth Godin's This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See

Key takeaways:
- Advertising vs marketing; advertising feels "safe" but is no longer very effective because our interruption threshold has become much lower. Today is the opt-in age.
- Moving from marketing's 4Ps to the
Grant
Nov 27, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book opens with a somewhat tired anecdote that you've likely read 5-10 times before if you've read any business- or design-related books published over the past few decades: the bit about Steve Jobs going to Xerox PARC. Yawn. The emphasis on finding empathy is important, sure, but also something you've likely read about before. While these are important points re: building customer connections, being more about empathizing than selling, marketing intangibles, etc., these points were made pre ...more
Juan Manuel Vera
Dec 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very good. Very true.

I do recommend this book to new entrepreneurs and business owners who need to reinvent their business and life.

Today the most important thing to be successful is not what to do but why you do, and how communicate it, certainly is.

the 6 P's methodology is a very good way to do so. I believethat this book over simplified the method but combining with another knowledge as Simon Sinek or Alexander Osterwalder!you can take advantage of it.

Read this book, enjoy it and apply it an
Dan Cornford
Jan 02, 2022 rated it really liked it
Started out great but then lost me

This book is based on a simple premise. Instead of creating a product or service and then having marketers go create a need for it, figure out what would really solve a need and then create products and services that do that. Also, figure out what people really need or desire instead of what they say they need.

The book starts out strong and really gave me things to think about, but then it basically lost me.

I would have given this five stars if it remained str
Raymond D Smith
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Helped Adjust My Thinking

As I read this book I compared it to how I make decisions about products and services. The book aligned almost perfectly with how I make decisions. The problem is that is not how I approach marketing for products and services for my company. Great, fast read.
Jonathan Addington
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book is more philosophical than actionable. It's a quick read and I expect that we'll get some value out of her 6 Ps framework/exercise. At the same time, the examples she shows are the emotional cousins of a basic SWOT analysis.

If this book disappeared from my library I don't think I'd notice.
Valentin
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
You can easily read it in a day and probably best to skip directly to the last part. The book explains a model for creating difference (kinda like a canvas / map) It's quite high level marketing/product management. Many steve jobs / apple examples so... :) ...more
Staci
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, business
I have been working diligently on my marketing (even taking courses) for 3 months now. This book is incredible. Exactly what I needed to read!! It's all about connecting with my clients and truly caring about them. ...more
Vignesh Kumar
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If u want to learn Real Marketing.

Really learned what true marketing is all about. This books gives clear and real ways of doing business and offers great examples of how it should be. Must read for every customer focused company.
Anna Gunn
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short - to the point practical book that helps you brainstorm your difference. A reference book for the shelves.. not to be underestimated.
Manas Saloi
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Provides a framework to help you differentiate yourself when there are 100 similar companies in the same domain. I highly recommend using this along with the Lean Canvas if you are a product builder.
Spiritisabone It Is
Dec 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
rubbish
Andrea Kelly
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am excited about the times we're living in. I know there's a lot to be scared about, but it seems to me that there's also a hell of a lot to be excited about, to find hope and brilliance in. Much of that excitement, that brilliance, I believe stems from a collective step change in the human psyche. It's about truth, it's about living authentically, it's about real stuff that matters and it's about the human need to connect and belong.

So what does this have to do with a book about marketing? Ev
Claire
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sue Cartwright
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
This is a wonderful book about marketing. It will help you to make a difference.

Not in the usual way of developing and launching an idea and taking it to market, but in the more considered way of understanding the truth about what people want, and how they might benefit from your idea so that you can launch your product to THEM.

That's the difference.

You will learn this in the first few pages - the fact that being different is the juxtaposition of 'opportunity' and 'action' with the added value
Eduardo Xavier
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, marketing
Anna Lundberg
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Endorsed by Seth Godin, what more could a marketing author want?! But I didn't find it particularly revolutionary. The core message is spot on: rather than creating incremental innovations and trying to outdo the competition, we should be redefining the rules of the game, reimagining a problem or need and then finding a creative new way to solve that need. Finding ways to delight one person at a time, catering to people at the edge of the bell curve, rather than mass marketing your product to an ...more
Brad Dunn
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I've given this book three stars but is probably more like three and a half but the truth is its a good book. it echo's some ideas that are common in great business books and there are similar 'ideo-esk' ways of working out what people want in products.

I think the real single idea of this book though, and one that needs more air time is that companies need to spend more time on the why. why exist? this is something great companies really understand and I think even in my own business it was some
Juan Castro
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Don't launch products or services and expect customers. Instead create a "difference" in your market through your brand. Basic principles to achieve that, but not as easy to put altogether. This is a guide on how to use a map for the product and service creation and definition process, based on six pillars: principles, purpose, people, personal, perception and product. Instead of the outdated marketing mix: place, promotion, price and product. It takes into account the way we consume technology ...more
Saleh Sepehrifar
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is a nice book for those how wonder why some brands remain successful and some others fail. It present a simple model called "difference model" to evaluate success for famous brands. It might be a great option for those who want to have a start-up (esp. in digital area).
I has some examples from Steve Jobs of Apple and some successful inventors and entrepreneur and explains how they develop their product by considering their costumers first.
Mpia A Cress
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just makes you feel GOOD

I loved this book. I'm a personal trainer,so a lot of this matters. people hire me for the why, not the what. they come to me for a reason, and I think this book reiterates that,plainly. it was a plane read, so kind of got thrown off a time or two, but really, it captured me.

• This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
  • Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable
  • The Catalyst: How to Change Anyone's Mind
  • Who Not How: The Formula to Achieve Bigger Goals Through Accelerating Teamwork
  • Ultimate Course Formula: How to Create and Sell Online Courses in 60 Days or Less
  • Contagious: Why Things Catch On
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Uncover Your Difference: Discover Your Unfair Advantage, Captivate The Right People & Cut Through The Noise
  • Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • Olga Dies Dreaming
  • The Practice: Shipping Creative Work
  • Insight Selling: How to Sell Value & Differentiate Your Product with Insight Scenarios
  • Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art
  • Cobble Hill
  • Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don't Know
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • Acid for the Children
Bernadette Jiwa is an Irish Australian writer. Her debut novel THE MAKING OF HER will be published in the summer of 2022.

Related Articles

For those with a taste for nonfiction—or even just a curiosity about what’s out there—we’ve gathered below the most popular nonfiction titles...
“how the now-ubiquitous humble shopping cart was invented and adopted eighty years ago. Sylvan Goldman, a grocery store owner from Oklahoma, noticed that when his customers’ baskets became too heavy or too full, people stopped shopping. Clearly their problem was his problem, too. He began to think of ways to improve the experience for his customers. In 1936 he came up with the idea of a basket carrier on wheels.” 4 likes
“THE TEN CHARACTERISTICS OF DIFFERENCE THINKERS They practice empathy because they care enough to make an impact. They have a clear sense of the change they want to make in the world. They are impatient about tactics and endlessly patient about implementing their strategy. They ask the right questions, and that means that they talk more than twice as much as they listen, because talking takes guts. Mostly, they ignore those who offer empty criticism. They watch what people do and don’t just believe what people tell them. They innovate and create at the edges, ignoring the market of everyone. They make products for their customers, instead of trying to find customers for their products. They understand that they need to give people a story to tell—a ‘you’ve gotta see this’ moment. They work hard to change how people feel, by creating intangible value that gives them an emotional point of difference. They understand that trust is their second-most valuable asset. The first is the willingness to be wrong for the right reason.” 2 likes