Start by marking “Quest” as Want to Read:
Quest

Quest

(Journey Trilogy #2)

Aaron Becker, creator of Journey, a Caldecott Honor book, presents the next chapter in his stunning wordless fantasy.

A king emerges from a hidden door in a city park, startling two children sheltering from the rain. No sooner does he push a map and some strange objects into their hands than he is captured by hostile forces that whisk him back through the enchanted door. Just like
Published August 26th 2014 by Candlewick Press

Calista
Quest is the 2nd book in the series about the magic crayons in a fantastical world. This is wordless and the nephew still loves these books. Our two characters are hiding under a bridge in NYC while it’s raining outside when a king or someone of importance opens then door and gives them a map. He is then kidnapped and they follow him into this fantastical world on a Quest to find all the magic crayons.

The story moves at lightning speed, one page per kingdom. Of course, they are succesful. It’s
Mischenko
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To see this and other wordless picture book reviews, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

Quest by Aaron Becker is wordless picture book for children and the second in the Journey Trilogy.

The little adventurous girl is back and this time with a friend. After an encounter with a king, they will embark on another journey to unlock the mystery of a map with their magic markers in hand.

What will they discover? Follow along with the illustrations to find out if they can save the king.

We loved Ques/>
Kelli
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This brilliant second book in the trilogy is an explosion of color. Beautifully illustrated, every page offers more than meets the eye with some foreshadowing that children can excitedly identify. The last page my favorite, this entire book epitomizes a vast and glorious child's imagination. The best book in the series in my opinion, though all three are excellent. 5 stars.
Carmen
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children; Parents
It's raining, and the Girl with the Red Chalk and the Boy with the Purple Chalk stop riding their tandem bike to take shelter under a bridge.

Under the bridge is a door with a stylized squid over it. Very steampunk. A king emerges with his finger to his mouth, signalling the kids to stay quiet. He hands them a map with the locations of 6 colored pieces of chalk on it. Then the king is seized by the Japanese soldiers and dragged away.

The children immediately use their Chalk
Lata
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. This story has both kids suddenly approached, while in a park in their city, by the king of that fantastical land they've both travelled to. The king leaves them with a quest before he's captured. The kids head off, pursued closely by soldiers.
The drawings are great, and I love the way the kids drew what they needed at every stage of their search, whether underwater gear or keys.
Maggie KutsBorg
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: wordless, fantasy-pbs
Quest did not, for me, recapture the magic of Journey. Where Journey was mysterious, engrossing, and quietly deep, Quest is frantic and needlessly complex. And the (totally cliche) magical-good-job-yay-rainbow at the end? I'm not feeling it, friends. Journey captured my imagination and earned my respect with its immaculate book design, jaw-dropping images, and well crafted page turns. Even if Quest is only a lackluster imitation, it's been done with artistic skill and a story that provides lots ...more
Matthew
To check out my review: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

THIS BOOK IS JUST AS PERFECT AS THE FIRST ONE!

Sometimes when it comes to children books and series, the sequel is an utter disappointment because the first book may not necessarily need a sequel and the author simply wrote it for more money which is a disappointment and lack of imagination. For Aaron Becker this was not the case and this book is perfect as a sequel. By thehttp://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com
THIS
Hilary
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
A lovely adventure of a girl with a magic pencil, has some of the magic, inventions and castles you might expect to find in Rupert Bear. Quite short, over in a flash, glad we have the next one to read.
Amy (Other Amy)
Thanks to the kindness of a Goodreader liking my review of Journey , I was reminded that I had not tracked down the rest of the trilogy. Thanks to the excellence of my library, all three books were close to hand. A perfect reading experience for New Year's Day!

This is very much the middle beat in the trilogy. The story is not as strong as the first book, and lacks some of the emotional maturity that will come into its own in the third book. Nonetheless, totally five stars for the art, and the successful captu
Mir
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, picture
This sounds weird to say about a wordless picture book, but I wish I'd re"read" Journey before getting this. I *think* she metthe boy she is playing with near the end of Journey but I can't recall for sure.

Journey was a little more wildly imaginative but Quest has more plot.
Jacob
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
OH MY GOODNESS READ THIS BOOK!!!! Epic!!! The gorgeous use of colors causes the illustrations to leap off of the page and into your imagination. The adventure is epic and grand! Read this. And the others in the series. Read them!
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Thinking I really should have looked through #1 first but regardless this is a really cool book. I could see this being a fun series for kids who like making up their own stories!
Donalyn
A gorgeous follow-up to Journey. Now, where can I get some of those crayons?
Abigail
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those Who Have Read & Enjoyed 'Journey'
Opening just at the moment when Journey ended, as the girl with the magic red marker emerges back into her own world, meeting a young boy with a magic purple marker, Quest follows the duo as they embark on a second adventure in the enchanted parallel realm featured in the first book. When a king briefly appears and gives them a map, before being captured by menacing soldiers who drag him back into his own world, the girl and boy use their markers to open magical portals and follow him. Pursued by soldiers ...more
Tricia Douglas
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the sequel to JOURNEY, a wordless picture book that is just as creative and fantastic as Journey. Having children follow this tale drawn in detailed illustrations is part of the fun. Telling the tale is a great exercise using verbal imagination too. I recommend having both of Becker's books on your bookshelf. Every time you look at the pictures you see something different. I'm sure he'll have additional books like Quest and Journey to keep adults and children into these fantasy-like stor ...more
David Schaafsma
Journey, part II. Wordless kid book, illustrated beautifully, not that much of an advance over Journey, but I loved that book, so was eager to get into the world again with Becker. What world? A world of sort of medieval, anything goes fantasy, with beauty, wonder, creativity… fostering creativity in kids as the two main kid characters problem-solve themselves out of scrapes with (ala Harold and the Purple Crayon) special colored crayons. Cool stuff, gorgeously done. You have kids? Gotta look at ...more
Clare Cannon
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This picture book without words needs to be explored slowly, with time for savouring and wondering and discovering. It needs to be read at close range, going forwards and backwards and then forwards again.

The colours illuminate the darkness of the world, a touch of excitement in the drabness. Children will enjoy guessing what the illustrations will become as they turn the page, and the fanciful ideas may set a child's own imagination soaring.

It could work as wonderful ins
KC
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The crayon adventure continues and now she has a friend.
Shiloah
This series is an imagination explosion. Loved these wordless, illustration based stories. ❤ ...more
Allison Davis
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quest is a fantasy/adventure book, just like Journey, of a girl and boy who once again venture off into an unknown world to find themselves faced with trying to rescue different colored markers to complete a map they were given by a king. This book aims towards both primary and intermediate grade levels. I believe that while primary grade levels will find the pictures within the book fascinating and understand they are on a mission, intermediate grade levels will be able to appreciate the action ...more
Mary Catelli
This is a sequel. This may seem odd in a children's picture book, one even without words, but yet you do want to read Journey first.

For one thing, then you will know why on the title page there are a boy with a purple crayon or chalk or something, and a girl with a red one, on a two-person bicycle, with a purple bird flying along through a drab cityscape -- where it's starting to rain. They go under a bridge, where there's a door.

A king burst out of it. He has a yellow one, and
Sue Smith
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story - although it can stand alone - is a true continuation from the first book Journey and it leads you right into another fantastic adventure following the two new friends as they find another friend with magical chalk and begin a quest to save them all.

Books that make your kids make up the story in their own words are great for their imaginations and language skills. This one will really fire up their imaginations as they get into all sorts of exotic locations and even get to fly o
Charlotte Lander
Upon first read of the book I was unsure of what to make after having such high expectations from Becker's first book 'Journey'. Once reading the book again I was able to enjoy the depth and scope that the book provides and could only begin to imagine how this could reach into children's imaginations. This book has many cross curricular links as children could foreshadow and explore what may happen on every page. Alongside this, the colourful illustrations which Becker provides us with will lead ...more
Travis
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
A beautiful continuation of Journey, though I don't like it quite as much as its predecessor. I think I dislike the imposed plot of this book, inherent in the title Quest as opposed to the more exploratory Journey. This one does get bonus points for extra creative use of their drawing abilities, though I feel like something was lost by only using the original purple and red and not utilizing each newly discovered color.
Michele Knott
Just like Journey, one read of this amazing wordless picture book is not enough. I love that the story continues and I love that this story is different from the first one. While keeping characters and of course, the special drawing tools.
The book jacket says that this is the second in the trilogy - I didn't know it was going to be three parts! Excited to learn there will be another one coming!
James Benham
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was incredible, especially having just read Journey (which I had to reread after Quest to pick up on the overarching story I had completely missed). I loved every spread of this book. Loved the story. Loved the ideas and creativeness. Particularly loved the idea that the different colours were used for different things (e.g. purple for drawing animals, red for transport etc.). Amazing. On to "Return"...
Jocelin
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the author that gave us the wonderfully "wordless" Journey comes Quest. The saga continues with another wordless adventure and the excitement that ensues. I really did like the book. The pictures just tell a wonderful story and it is so easy to get lost in this world. This book is a great addition to any library.
Canadian
In this wordless picture book, two children are sent on a quest by a king/artist figure to gather pencils/chalks/crayons that are the different colours of the rainbow. They use the red and violet chalks they have to draw items that help them solve the problems they encounter along the way.
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A traditional quest story full of creative problem solving and gorgeous illustrations.
Zoe
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this wordless picture book and Aaron Becker's other books!
The illustrations are intricate and provide opportunities for children to focus on aspects of illustrations and imagine what may be going on and what may be said, the opportunities for creativity/imagination are endless..
I found it really interesting how certain colours are used in the book (purple, yellow, red and orange) because they made me question the authors ideas and thoughts and whether the colours are aiming to symbol
Henrico Youth Boo...: Quest 1 7 Nov 05, 2014 08:00AM

• Here I Am
  • Wolf in the Snow
  • Bluebird
  • Before After
Aaron Becker has worked as an artist for such film studios as Lucasfilm, Disney, and Pixar, where he helped define the look and feel of characters, stories, and the movies they become a part of. With Journey, he has created characters and worlds of his very own, using traditional materials and techniques. Aaron Becker lives in Amherst, Massachusetts, with his wife, daughter, and cat. This is his f ...more

Journey Trilogy (4 books)
  • Journey