Start by marking “Goodnight Already!” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Already!

Goodnight Already!

(Bear & Duck #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  2,046 Ratings  ·  312 Reviews
Meet Bear. He's exhausted. All he wants is to go to sleep. Meet Duck, Bear's persistent next-door neighbor. All he wants is to hang out . . . with Bear.

Jory John, author of All My Friends Are Dead, and Benji Davies join together to create this standout hilarious picture book that will make bedtime memorable.
Published December 2nd 2014 by HarperCollins

Eliza
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book appears to be about a bear and a duck, but ACTUALLY is about me and my three-year-old :)

(hint: he's the duck)
Archit Ojha
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Bear wants to get some sleep. And the duck, being a duck and an innocent troublemaker, won't let him sleep. He keeps on pestering him unknowingly.

I had fun reading Goodnight Already because it reminded me of me and my sister whom I'll be teasing and troubling endlessly.

A cute book recommended for Children who have siblings!
Julie
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love how deceptively straightforward this book is. A sleepy bare, a wide-awake duck. But the characters are super strong, and the circular story arc is interesting and relatable enough that I know adults and children alike are going to see themselves in both bear and in duck. Super fun to read aloud, too!
Carmen
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Recommended to Carmen by: New York Times Book Review
Just as Duck has his beak buried in 101 Ways to Stay Awake, his next door neighbor, Bear, is saying

"I've never been so tired. I could sleep for weeks. Months, even!"

But his happy, well-deserved slumber is interrupted by a hyped-up Duck who wants company while he stays up all night.

...

This book is very fun. The book puts Duck's words in a thin, fine print and Bear's in a dark, bold print. When I read it to children I always make Duck's voice high and fast, and Bear's slow and very deep. Bear yell
Theresa
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pj-story-time
Bear's pretty much my spirit animal. Grumpy when sleep is disturbed? Yep. Love the style of illustrations. Reminds me of Peter Brown's Mr Tiger Goes Wild. The humor reminds me of Mo Willems. The simple but funny story will appeal to kids 4+, and even 3 year olds could get into it if you're very enthusiastic with the voices since the illustrations are so attractive and clear. And it's a story that adults can get a kick out of, especially if they're sleep deprived with a kid. Empathy yawns. It cou ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Why I liked this book- This is a cute book. One character wants to sleep, the other doesn’t. A perfect scenario for mischief! I like Bear’s expressions, and Duck’s wild ideas. The story has a hint of an endless cycle, and a lot of fun. The pictures make you smile and laugh. Mr. John and Mr. Davies make a great team together, and it really keeps you on your toes. Just when you think you know what will happen next, you are in for a surprise! :) I love this book!
*NOTE* I got a free copy of this boo
Mehsi
1.5 stars. I had expected way better.

I was really looking forward to this one. I love Benji Davies art, and I had read a few books by Jory John, and I was interested in what the combination of these 2 people would be. Sadly, nothing good. :(

I loved the Bear character, he was really great and I sympathized with him a lot, the poor thing just wants to sleep, and then you got some annoying character named Duck, who just doesn't get the hint, who keeps waking/disturbing the bear.

And that is the bigg
carrietracy
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Love the back and forth between duck and bear. Love the illustrations. My kid says "again" almost immediately after you finish reading it.

My one, small, tiny complaint? Why does duck ask for dough? He's asking for ingredients for making cookies. Flour appears in his bowl. WHY IS HE ASKING FOR DOUGH???? People don't use "dough" if they are also collecting all the other ingredients. /baking hijack.
Reetta Saine
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, 2016, elikot, kuvakirjat
Aivan loistava kuvitus, eikä tarinassakaan ole moittimista. <3 ankka <3
Margaret Chind
This is quite funny. As a mother of a newborn, toddler and kindergarten child I'm quite familiar with the window if sleepiness that evaporates if you pass your window. This is a silly conversational story about just that.

I received this product free for the purpose of reviewing it. I received no other compensation for this review. The opinions expressed in this review are my personal, honest opinions. Your experience may vary. Please read my full disclosure policy for more details.

Thanks to HC
bjneary
Hysterically funny bedtime book, my granddaughter will find a few ways to get out of going to bed after reading this book- Bear and Duck may be neighbors but there some real problems when it comes time for bear to sleep - laugh out loud and cute video here too from the publisher! http://www.harpercollins.com/97800622...
Pia Rask-Jussila
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kuvakirjat
Ihan mahottoman hauska tarina karhusta, joka tahtoisi nukkua, mutta perhana vieköön kuin naapurin ankkaa ei puolestaan yhtään nukuta - ja hänellä on vara-avain. :D
Miusta tuo karhu on ihan isäni Markun näkönen!
Anna H
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is now I feel at work all the time.
Laura Harrison
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very unique voice in the children's picturebook world. Dramatic, beautiful illustrations. Just loved it.
Dawn Betts-Green (Dinosaur in the Library)
Ridiculously adorable book.
Courtney
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The story of my life as told by a duck and a bear :)
Garrett
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
We've all been there: We're trying to sleep because IT'S NIGHT TIME and our dumb duck neighbor won't shut up about things. That duck is just lucky bear is so nice--I'd have called the cops on his feathery behind!
Larissa Langsather
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindergarten
Good for repetitious reading!
Nancy Kotkin
The reversal is cute, but Duck comes off as rude. Not a particularly memorable read for me.
Antoinette Scully
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bear is ready for bed but Duck can’t seem to get to sleep. Hilarity ensues. I liked this cute but annoying duck and could completely relate to the exhausted bear. Every parent can relate.
Liz
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, picture-books
I read this one in preschool storytime and it was a huge hit. The important things is to remember to do separate voices for bear and duck.
Tasha
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bear is so very tired, all he wants to do is go to sleep. But his next door neighbor, Duck, feels exactly the opposite and has never felt more awake as he reads a book on staying awake and drinks a pot of coffee. As Bear climbs into bed and pulls up his blanket, ready to snooze, Duck comes over for a visit. Duck offers all sorts of ideas of what they could do together, but all Bear wants to do is sleep. Just when Bear is again about to fall asleep, Duck returns with a new idea to bake something. ...more
Aaron Jordan
According to Publisher's Weekly, in Goodnight Already! author Jory John and illustrator Benji Davies bring fresh humor to a familiar scenario, tracing the push and pull between a character desperate to get some shut-eye and one who is far from ready for bed. Working in a distilled style reminiscent of classic UPA animation, Davies uses nocturnal blues, geometric patterning, and contrasting scale in a way that makes every page pop. The one thing readers will not say about this book is “Enough alr ...more
Melanie
Bear is so tired he's sure he could sleep for months. He settles down in his bed and falls asleep. Next door Duck is wide awake and he's bored. He heads over to Bears' house for fun. But when Bear answers the door he is anything but please to see him. Duck tries to get him to play cards, read together, start a band, make smoothies... Bear wants nothing to do with anything about being awake. He kicks duck out and goes back to bed.

Duck climbs up to Bears' window to tell him that he wants to make c
David Schaafsma
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The whole family will read all these Goodreads Children's Illustrated book nominees for 2015 and rate all of them.

One of the go to sleep books. .. the title reminded me of Adam Mansbach's Go the F*** to Sleep, though that one is really about the frustration of trying to put kids to sleep, and this one is about a bear (adult?) who wants to sleep and a duck (kid?) who won't let her. It could be read alongside a similar book also nominated this year, Mo Willem's I Will Take a Nap! with a similar s
Christine Ridout
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My preschoolers and I loved this book. Bear has never been so tired. He “could sleep for weeks. Months, even!” But his neighbor, Duck, has “never been so awake” and he wants to play with Bear. So, Duck goes over to Bear’s house and bangs on the door. “Wanna play cards?” “No!” “Watch a movie?” “No!” “Talk all Night?” “No!” Duck finally leaves and Bear goes back to sleep, but who appears again at the window? Duck. “I want to make cookies. Can I borrow some sugar?” “No!” “Butter?” “No!” This contin ...more
Amanda
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I received this book as part of a giveway from the author on Goodreads. As soon as I opened the package, my 3 yr old couldn't wait to sit down and read it. We read it 4 times in a row before being interrupted by her 1 yr old twin brothers. This is a wonderful book - my daughter is just starting to see the humor in things and she picked up on some of the humor in this book on the 2nd read. She was chuckling through the entire book after that. We have a couple of noisy neighbors, well, more like n ...more
Venus
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

In a world where bears live next to ducks--sleep is not an option. So bear finds out as he attempts to go to sleep.

If a bear were a grown-up and a duck were a child, this is the story that is written during millions of bedtimes all across the world. Universal in its scope, it can easily join the ranks of the bedtime stories that have come before it. In the end though, this is a familiar book, one that has been done countless times and will continue
Maryann Skaritka
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a fun and delightful laugh out loud bedtime read for preschoolers.

Parents will surely hear kids saying lets read this again as this will become a bedtime favorite for sure!

Bear is on a mission to get some sleep. However, Duck, his wide awake and full of energy next door neighbor has other ideas.

The back and forth conversations between these two characters is giggle worthy for kids and totally relatable for parents who dream of sleep with kids who are wide awake.

The illustrations are fun a
High Plains Library District
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jan, children
Have you ever had one of those nights where a child in your household made sure that you stayed awake with him because HE wasn't sleepy? Well, according to authors Jory John and Benji Davies, you are not alone...especially if you're a bear and you have a wide-awake duck living next door who just wants to "hang out!"

Goodnight Already! is a picture book that your young one is going to want to read over and over again. With minimal text and hilarious illustrations, you are going to have fun sharing
  • The Bear Ate Your Sandwich
  • This Is a Moose
  • Hug Machine
  • Nerdy Birdy
  • Shh! We Have a Plan
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • I Don't Want to Be a Frog
  • Bear Sees Colors
  • Night Animals
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • This Is Sadie