Start by marking “A Nip of Murder (Moonshine Mystery Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Nip of Murder (Moonshine Mystery Series, #2)

A Nip of Murder

(Moonshine Mystery #2)

As Daisy McGovern knows all too well, it isn’t easy being a young, small town waitress at the local diner. And it becomes even harder just as she’s trying to stitch her life back together and salvage her job by converting the diner into a bakery when a mysterious robbery occurs and one of the thieves ends up dead on the bakery floor with a chef’s knife in his chest. Forced ...more
Published December 16th 2014 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about A Nip of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Nip of Murder

Start your review of A Nip of Murder (Moonshine Mystery Series, #2)
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

A Nip of Murder is the second book in Carol Miller's Moonshine Mystery series. Set in rural Virginia, it features Daisy 'Ducky' McGovern, a former waitress at the H&P Diner, which she now part owns and has converted into a bakery. Business is good, especially with the daily patronage of a group of geocacher's in town, but strangers also mean trouble. When three men break into Sweetie Pies, Daisy's baker, Brenda, is forced to defend herself and one of the men ends up dead while the others
Jean
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Apparently this is book two of a series entitled Moonshine Mystery which I was unaware of when I choose this book to read. The title is what intrigued me to pick up the book.

The story takes place in a small town in Virginia. Our protagonist is Daisy McGovern who after her husband left her decided to convert the local diner into a bakery. She calls the bakery “Sweetie Pies.” Daisy’s best friend Brenda helps her achieve her goals.

While Brenda is baking in the kitchen of the bakery, three men enter
Mysteryfan
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Connie
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is an okay escape, but flaws from the first book continue. Nothing that happened in the first book seems to have influenced the relationships in this book. And Daisy/Ducky (yikes!) continues to behave in irresponsible ways by withholding evidence until it's convenient to turn it over (and the police don't have a problem with that, which is convenient) and going into dangerous situations without telling anyone else (and the police are okay with that, too). Other characters behave in ...more
Kathryn
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Book one, "Murder and Moonshine" was exciting and hard to put down, with twists that kept me guessing until the end. I felt this sequel took a lot longer to gain momentum and wasn't as exciting a journey or as interesting a mystery. There wasn't much character development or rounding out of their pasts/relationships that would have made the reader care a little more about what happened. And what was with the flooding salon subplot?? I've noticed the pub date for book three has been delayed, I'm ...more
Jane Irish Nelson
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, mystery
Perhaps 3.5 stars. I definitely liked this one better than the first book in the series. One thing I found interesting is that, despite the contemporary setting, there is little reliance on all of the modern conveniences, especially since GPS and cell phone service is often quite patchy due to the terrain. The main characters all return, with their various peculiarities. The story starts with a robbery at the bakery Daisy and her friend Brenda now run — but the theft makes no sense, and one of ...more
Jill
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
It was fine, but too predictable. The lack of possible suspects made the culprit pretty obvious. I even guess the motive before the halfway mark. The first book was much better.
Jordan Arndts Fyffe
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Keeps you guessing at every turn! Great new series
KyBunnies
A little better than the first book. Author needs to do more research than using the internet. Starting to have a soft spot for Rick and his 'shine.
Judy Collins
A special thank you to St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books, and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Carol Miller returns with her mountain and moonshine series A Nip of Murder, (Moonshine Mystery Series #2) with southern Daisy McGovern and the gang, for small town local color, whiskey, mystery, humor and wit.

Daisy McGovern, small town Virginia rural bakery owner of Sweetie Pies, is trying to rebuild her life after her husband left. Waitress Daily and her best friend Brenda,
Kathy
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Carol Miller serves up another puzzling and very unique mystery in the Moonshine Mystery series with her latest release, A Nip of Murder. Daisy McGovern is now the proud owner of Sweetie Pies and her bakery is doing a booming business. That is until a mysterious break in leads to murder and Daisy is finds herself embroiled in a search for the dead man's identity.

Daisy does not have much confidence in the deputy investigating the break in at Sweetie Pies and she decides to do a little sleuthing
Julie
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a fun romp through Appalachia. Though we don't have a lot of in-depth knowledge about the characters and their back stories, this book doesn't really need it. I thought the idea of geocachers having a weekend in the mountains was a great idea to surround a mystery. What a great way to bring attention to this often-overlooked hobby!

I liked the characters in the book, though Bobby was a bit of an annoyance. I'm not fond of snivelly men. Daisy is a down-to-earth woman with a
Jessica  Sinn (Books and Trouble)
As with the first book in this new series, the story begins with a most peculiar catastrophe. A gang of masked bandits raid a bakery and make off with 90 pounds of cream cheese. What in the world?! The plot thickens when Daisy’s emotionally fragile employee stabs one of the robbers to death in self-defense. Turns out, he’s just some random dude with no connection to the town whatsoever. In a rural Virginia hamlet devoid of useful law enforcement, Daisy has no other choice but to solve the ...more
Alyce Rocco
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Carol Miller's A Nip of Murder was an okay read, but not an edge of your seat murder mystery that I am accustomed to reading. The characters did not appear to have much individual personalities other than the descriptions of them. The red-head with the unruly hair, for instance, had promise, but not much action to live up to expectations of how she would behave.

The novel showed originality in concept, yet is standard formula mystery writing ~ the waitress turned baker becomes involved in solving
The Millers
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
When you are a poorly paid small town waitress and trying to convert a former diner into a bakery, it is NOT helpful to have one of your staff members accidentally stab a robber to death, even if she is trying to stop him from kicking the bakery cat. Daisy must enter into a cat and mouse game in order to determine the identity of the dead man and why he is apparently trying to steal 90 pounds of cream cheese before she becomes the next victim.

Full of charming (and not so) Southern characters,
Pamela
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
A Nip of Murder is the second book in the Moonshine mystery series. It is a well written and edited murder mystery.

I enjoyed the variety of characters, but I needed more character development; particularly their backgrounds and physical descriptions.

The plot was original and moved at a steady pace. The ending was unexpected and I didn't figure out the "bad guy" until the end.

The author needs to do some research into criminal justice. Her heroine violated chain of evidence and investigation
Alice
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Very quick read.
Danville, Va Discovery channel's Moonshine.
Standard cozy features: unique setting, stereotypical eccentric aunt, bad boy semi-love interest, another character who is stranger to setting love interest, heroine who can adjust her schedule as she likes, Issues are explored as corollaries of plot.
In this book -Nip parlors, geocaching, Bats
Quick conclusion with a summarization -- no narrative of exact events.
No resolution of love interest
(Bobby -- gets shot in hip/leg area as part
Kate Potter
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Second of a series that takes place in very rural Virginia. Interesting country characters and good mysteries. Daisy, the protagonist, hasn't had it easy in life but she is a hard worker and loves a good mystery. Interesting that the author never fully describes how Daisy looks. Maybe so every reader can have his/her own image of the heroine. There is an underlying romantic tension in the books. Hope it doesn't get solved very soon!
Marilyn Slusher
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had really looked forward to this sequel - but was disappointed that it did not follow through on some of the situations presented in the first book. Where is Daisy's husband and what was behind the loss of the family property? Instead - this second book was presenting a whole new plot. I am hoping that Carol Miller will write a third book and maybe bring some closure to those things alluded to in the first book.
Susan
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-virginia
Former waitress, now bakery owner Daisy is shocked when a robbery (why'd they want to steal 90 pounds of cream cheese?) in her establishment ends with a dead man. And that's only the start of adventures that are too lethal to be wacky. And, much as she vows to steer clear of the bad-boy local bootlegger who has plans involving the two of them, he keeps showing up in her life. I was afraid Miller wouldn't be able to pull off a tale to equal the first book in the series, but here it is.
Cecilia
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
A fun mystery by an author I don't think I have read before. Apparently she has a series about moonshiners. Picked it up on the new books shelf at the Farmington Hills library and found it OK.
The main character is somewhat simple and so is the story line, but it does move along to a good conclusion, if one that was fairly obvious from about page 200.
Chris Conley
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in what I hope is a very long series. The characters are so believable, the setting feels real and the mystery is actually mysterious! The only problem now is waiting for the next book.
Donn Lorber
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Just ok .. Not a great read, but I muddled thru.. The dialogue was slow redundant
Katherina
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-crime
Daisy's quest for answers is exciting and funny. I really enjoyed this mystery.
Jenni Schell
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jenni by: NetGalley
Shelves: kindle-books
This was a really great little mystery. It didn't feel like the second book in a series so you are not lost when reading this one. It was a lot of fun.
Ruth Turner
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really good read. Very enjoyable
Cheryl Ras
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love her stories. Characters are very endearing.
Heather
Totally predictable, but I like the characters and setting enough not to care :-)
Allison Bosco
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
liked it pretty well. I'm not sure where she's going with this series,but I like it
Brian
Jan 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5)
  • To Catch a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #8)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1)
  • Title Wave (Booktown Mystery #10)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • The Crypt Thief (Hugo Marston #2)
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Plaster and Poison (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #3)
  • A Potion to Die For (A Magic Potion Mystery, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • The Goodbye Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #4)
  • One Potion in the Grave (A Magic Potion Mystery, #2)
  • Ghost of a Potion (A Magic Potion Mystery, #3)
  • Wall-to-Wall Dead (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #6)
  • Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #6)
  • Home for the Homicide (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #7)
Carol Miller is the author of the Moonshine Mystery Series featuring Daisy and Rick, a small-town diner waitress and the local bad boy moonshiner, in sleepy southwestern Virginia. MURDER AND MOONSHINE was named an Amazon Best Book of the Month and a Library Journal Starred Debut of the Month. Carol is an attorney and an avid gardener. She lives in Virginia.

Moonshine Mystery (3 books)
  • Murder and Moonshine (Moonshine Mystery, #1)
  • An Old Fashioned Murder (Moonshine Mystery, #3)