Start by marking “Compulsion” as Want to Read:
Compulsion

Compulsion (Alex Delaware #22)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  7,881 Ratings  ·  498 Reviews
Once again, the depths of the criminal mind and the darkest side of a glittering city fuel #1 New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Kellerman’s brilliant storytelling. And no one conducts a more harrowing and suspenseful manhunt than the modern Sherlock Holmes of the psyche, Dr. Alex Delaware.

A tipsy young woman seeking aid on a desolate highway disappears into the i
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 25th 2008 by Random House Audio (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Compulsion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compulsion

Lewis Weinstein
Another quite readable psychological adventure with Dr. Delaware and Milo. Enough turns and twists to keep the pages turning, but not enough to create the edge of prior books in this series.
Susan
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Kellerman's other books, you will probably like this one. I actually liked it more than some of the other ones. Sometimes, I find Alex Delaware's psychological insights a little too obscure and feel they muddy the picture. This time, he was a little more reigned in, and I found this book to be much more readable as a result. It still contains all of the elements we love--Milo, Robin, and Alex's cute new dog. The only drawback was that the two mysteries in this book got tied up a litt ...more
Mary JL
Nov 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mystery fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: No one--fan of series
Shelves: mystery-horror
I have always enjoyed the Alex Delaware series. I find the two main characters--Alex and Milo--very interesting. I also find the many plot twists in the books interesting and suspenseful. Some people see thru these twists and see things coming--I seldom can figure a mystery out.

The way the two seperate cases are handled in this books and the twists and turns Alex and Milo enouncted where attempting to solve the crimes I found very, very interesting.

Admittedly, this is not a book that will stay
Seanna
May 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Dr. Delaware, and I'm glad he's back with Robin the Mandolin Maker, but I think Dr. Kellerman might have phoned this one in just a little bit. It's still worth reading because it's Alex Delaware (well and Milo) but this one was not the most stellar. If you are reading this, Dr. Kellerman, I'm sorry. I feel like a traitor for dissing your book with only three stars. It's just that I have higher standards for you, sir, than for some of your colleagues...now turn off the internet and get bac ...more
Heidi
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Unfortunately not a great Delaware read! Hate when characters become omnicient to save the author time--- it's just deadly dull in a mystery. Alex "surmised" so much about the phsychopath that I was thinking if he'd pick a few numbers, I should buy a lotto ticket... Despite this dull entry, I still love Milo, Blanche and company.
Jerry B
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mediocre outing -- even JK seems tired of our buddy Alex!

We've read every single Alex Delaware novel, so are big fans, well-informed about this series. What started out great - the child psychologist by profession who consults with the police; specifically Milo Sturgis, a gay, very interesting, and persistent homicide cop; on murders where the police feel they need a consultant's help - has resolved into little more than two detective buddies, one paid, the other an amateur hardly more skillful
Sherril
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got really tired of the goofy similes and metaphors. For example:

"His spiky (hair) do fit him like lipstick fits a goldfish." page 194-195

I never noticed this about Kellerman's writing before, which makes me think that he was trying something new. He needs to work on some subtlety.

Other than that, excellent book, as usual.

My favorite quote (and a reminder of why to be patient with my nieces and nephews), from page 281:

"Good was Antoine's age at the time of the disappearance. You see a fifteen
Carrol
Apr 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-on-cd
It has been a while since I have read or listened to a Jonathan Kellerman book. His regular charachers have become pretty predictable and this story dragged a bit - at least on CD. If you don't have a "history" with Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis, the 2 main characters, and also with his lesser regulars, some of the subtleties are easy to miss. This book doesn't give you much background development of the characters - there seems to be an assumption that you have read some of the earlier books. ...more
Moira
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very well-written book - a little leaner and sleeker than some of the other Alex Delaware books - and a real pager turner. The killer was also a very interesting character. My only complaint was that it seemed a bit predictable in the end and a little slow to close. Still, as always, an interesting romp into the mind of a truly deranged killer.
Jo
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There has never been an Alex Delaware/Milo Sturgis book that I have not thoroughly enjoyed. This one was no exception. Couple of surprises in two of the story lines. A terrific read.
  • The Mercedes Coffin (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #17)
  • Trouble
  • Bad Blood (Alexandra Cooper, #9)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)