Start by marking “Marisol” as Want to Read:
Marisol

Marisol

(American Girl of the Year)

Marisol is a lively ten-year-old who loves to dance. When her parents decide to move away from their close-knit central Chicago neighborhood andMarisol's dance classes, Marisol realizes that no matter where she is, herdreams and passion to dance are who she is-no matter where she goes. Marisol is part of the contemporary American Girl Today line.
Published January 1st 2005 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published December 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Marisol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marisol

Start your review of Marisol
Jen
I read this after reading an article that Gary Soto wrote in 2013 about the controversy that occurred when this book came out. I just read about a mom who wanted to move their daughter to the suburbs because they didn't have a yard and it'd be safer than living in the city of Chicago. really, who cares? The folks that were offended by this book need to realize that a book that is fiction can say anything it wants to. Why aren't these same people boycotting NCIS or other current criminal shows ...more
Kate Matson
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read for third graders. Personally, I think all American Girl Books are awesome! they're great reads for elementary kids.
Taylor
Feb 01, 2009 added it
Marisol is an american girl today type of book. In this book Marisol loves do dance, it's her passion! but with the upsetting news that her family is moving to chicago she will have to meat new friends be in a new neighbor hood but worst of all NO DANCE! Instead of giving up useful marisol comes up with a plan with her two friends. Will they figure out a way to still let Marisol be able to dance? I love these american girl books 5 Stars!****
Eeboo
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I didn't like when her cat Rascal ran away
storystereo
(*slightly nervous laugh* Well, didn't think I'd read it that fast...)

I liked it. Reminded me of early Disney Channel movies, the way it read. The ending was almost too good to be true, but it was told in a simple way, and made me believe it. And Marisol seemed very much like a 9 or 10 year old to me, which I appreciate.
Cecilia Lang
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Harmony
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I do dance... big inspiration
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a book from the American Girls publishers but it's not part of any of the "traditional" series of books like Felicity or Addy. It's a stand-alone story of Marisol, who really, really loves to dance and is very talented. Her parents decide to move, though, and that means leaving her school, her friends, and her dance studio.

The basic problem is that, where they are moving, there are no dance studios. It looks like she won't be able to do the thing she likes most to do unless, somehow,
Britt-goodie of newsieness
I don't know what series this is from, because some of them are history and some of them are American Girl of the year and some of them are Just Because.

But yeah, she liked to dance, and it was pretty good. There's this guy and his name was...I forget, but his name wasn't I forget. And he had this shaved ice and he was eating it and she walked out with her friend and he was all sad and she was like "What's wrong?!" and he was like "...It's gone..." and she saw the popsicle stick on the ground
Denise Spicer
Jan 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
This American Girl book is about Marisol Luna who lives in Chicago and loves to dance. She also loves her neighborhood, school, and friends so when her parents decide to move from their apartment to a new house in the suburbs she is sad. Mediocre writing makes this somewhat trite story even less compelling. Peppered with some interesting facts about Marisol’s ethnic background, this book might be okay for the target audience of 10-year-old girls but, unlike some of the other books published the ...more
Kristine Hansen
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-book, kids
Marisol is moving. What keeps this from being just one more book adjusting to the move is Marisol herself. I love her dancing obsession and the dedication she has for becoming a dancer someday. Stories with ambitious girls make me smile!

But also, we focus not so much on the usual - adjusting to a new home - as what is usually glossed over: the emotions involved in leaving a home that you love. This is what makes this book unique and something I would give to any girl leaving somewhere to start
Rachel
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Definitely my favorite of the Girl of Today books so far. Marisol is a young girl who loves to dance. One day her parents annnounce they are moving from inner city Chicago to the suburbs. Although she hates the idea at first, Marisol begins to see some positive things about the more. There is a lot of Spanish and some French used in the book and I like the fact that there was a glossary in the back with definitions of all the words.
E
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
For a company/publisher known for creating characters that are lively and unique, Marisol fell utterly flat for me. She and all the other characters in this book, aside from her cat, were boring and without depth. Furthermore, the narrative seemed to wander aimlessly, with many extraneous details thrown in that were utterly irrelevant to the plot, almost as if the author were trying to reach a word count minimum.

Bizarre and disappointing.
Lola
I didn't usually buy the Girl of the Year dolls or books when I was a kid. They weren't around long enough, and I was more interested in the historical dolls. I did identify with Marisol, however. I loved dance as a kid. One of the best part of my week was dance class. I danced for about eight years, some ballet and tap but mostly hip-hop. I loved it. I could understand why it was so important to Marisol to be able to dance. Recommended!
Sean Kottke
May 25, 2011 added it
Shelves: ya
Realistic fiction, from the American Girls Today series, about a young Mexican-American girl who has to deal with her family's impending move to the Chicago suburbs. Standard aspirational fiction for young girls, almost politically correct to the point of blandness, but the talented Soto manages to inject enough ethnic and regional flavor to keep the story grounded.
James Vickery
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ell-tesler
Great book to recommend to a female student that is a dancer! This book would be great to integrate with students of Hispanic background to connect with the culture of the character. This book can help the audience understand how it would feel to go to a different school and to be in a new situation.
Sharia A.
This book is about a girl who is Latina and enjoys dancing. This book is about how to continue your dreams no matter what you have to do or what you go through. This book talks about how to accept a new situation and evolve from it. I would enjoy seeing children in 3rd grade reading this book.
Brooke
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was pretty good :) I liked the cat, Rascal. I wish their was a book two because I would totally read it :)
Kayla Werline
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love how this girl loves to dance. This book inspired me to work hard to try and reach my dream. It is one of the books that might inspire people.
Courtney
reading for school....
Amanda
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I learned how hard it is to leave yor friends.
Emily
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Marisol because of how the story was written and because of all the dancing.
PWRL
Feb 17, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet book about moving and doing the things you love.
Mary
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good lessons in caring for others. About a young girl who has to move from a familiar neighborhood and school to a new place.
Samantha Haviland
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The ultimate American Girl.
Martina Munoz
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was , but a little boring.
Is a enjoyable book. But dance is all she mostly does.
Hannah
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
First bookclub book, it was okay but it didn't have any action.
Ashley
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT
Autumnlynn
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The story of a dancer afraid of loosing everything shes worked for .

• Nellie's Promise (American Girls: Samantha, #7)
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Starting Middle School: Everything You Need to Know About Juggling More Homework, More Teachers, and More Friends
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
Gary Soto, born April 12, 1952, was raised in Fresno, California. He is the author of eleven poetry collections for adults, most notably New and Selected Poems, a 1995 finalist for both the Los Angeles Times Book Award and the National Book Award. His poems have appeared in many literary magazines, including Ploughshares, Michigan Quarterly, Poetry International, and Poetry, which

has honored him

American Girl of the Year (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Lindsey
  • Kailey
  • Jess
  • Nicki
  • Thanks to Nicki
  • Mia
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • Chrissa