Start by marking “Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin To Munger” as Want to Read:
Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin To Munger

Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin To Munger

Peter Bevelin begins his fascinating book with Confucius' great wisdom: "A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it, is committing another mistake." Seeking Wisdom is the result of Bevelin's learning about attaining wisdom. His quest for wisdom originated partly from making mistakes himself and observing those of others but also from the philosophy of super-i ...more
Published 2007 by Post Scriptum AB (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Seeking Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeking Wisdom

Ted Trembinski
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tim-ferriss
To start off, I think this book contains some really interesting and useful information. Let me break it down for you.

Part One: What Influences Our Thinking. This is essentially a quick wrap up of evolutionary psychology. If you want to know about this, I'd suggest The Red Queen by Matt Ridley (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...). The supporting examples and case studies are explained more thoroughly.

Part Two: The Psychology of Misjudgments. This is just Psychology of Business. Behavior Ec
R
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5 stars not because this is one of the best books I have read but because this is one of the best summary of ideas I ingested in last 2 years. I don't know how a casual reader with no prior exposure to topics covered in the book would ingest the densely packed material but if you are an ardent reader in topics such as decision science, finance and probability this book is nothing but a collection of ideas from these areas. If you have read 'Thinking, Fast and Slow', 50% of seeki ...more
Drew Johnson
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

More a compiliation of Buffet and Munger's words of wisdom than a book. As compiliations go, its pretty good. Some of my favorites:

Beliefs have biological consequences
Fear of loss is greater than the desire for gain
Our brain operates more on pattern recognition than logic
Cost of doing nothing can be greater than the cost of an action
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome
Human beings are good at interpreting new information so that prior conclusions remai
Stephen Hultquist
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a very challenging read. It is dense, with vitally important insights packed on every page. How can we think clearly? Where do we find wisdom? Why do we trick ourselves?

All these questions and more are answered in these pages...

But, the book is organized so that you go through the steps of uncovering the mental processes first. It can be a slog at times, with so much learning when I just want to get to the "so how then do I live?" part...

That said, I think everyone with sufficient intell
Olivier Goetgeluck
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
INTRODUCTION

"All I want to know is where I'm going to die so I'll never go there."
- Charlie Munger

There are roads that lead to unhappiness. An understanding of how and why we can "die" should help us to avoid them.

The best way to learn what, how and why things work is to learn from others.

"I believe in the discipline of mastering the best that other people have ever figured out. I don't believe in just sitting down and trying to dream it all up yourself. Nobody's that smart."
- Charlie Munger

The
Marcus
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-development
This felt like an information dump to me. There's a lot of value, but it's heavily condensed and anecdotal making it really difficult to come away with anything that couldn't be better learned by reading it straight from Munger or Buffett or any of the other sources that are so heavily quoted.
Otis Chandler
Mar 06, 2017 marked it as to-read
Kevin highly recommended on instagram
Peter
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, wisdom, work
As the title promises, the book is full of nuggets of (worldly) wisdom. Lots of it is applicable directly in the context of work, investing, and in life. Even people already familiar with Charlie Munger's ideas will have lots of new take-aways. To be clear though, the book goes far beyond only Darwin and Munger.

One of my personal highlights from the book was this paragraph (p.177-178):
You see that again and again - that people have some information they can count well and they have other informa
Pavel Annenkov
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Детальный разбор наших заблуждений и ошибок в бизнесе и жизни. Автор использует принципы по которым ведёт бизнес Чарли Мунгер - партнер Баффетта. Одна из лучших книг, которые может прочитать предприниматель.
Eugene
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The very terrific book, the one that you may open at any page and start reading. The book contains multiple sections: influences (lot of things correlating with Influence by Robert Cialdini) , physics and math, misjudgments, guidance to better thinking (checklists, worst scenarios etc). The book is literally packed with quotes from Buffet, Munger and many others. The final section is the compilations grouped by topics from Munger and Buffet talks and letters to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders.

i
Hriday
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece. Not a word extra. Dense. Had to read repeatedly to make sense of some parts.
Alejandro Sanoja
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can wisdom really be achieved? Can we really be wise? Or is it that we just can be a little less ignorant, a little less imprudent or thoughtless? “Seeking Wisdom” guides you from the most simple thoughts and ideas to others very complicated, and just when the complexity level rises so much that you feel you are close to that desired wisdom, it slams you to the ground back to the very basics, to the fundamentals, to sentences and quotes with few words but with infinite information; which is wher ...more
Le Nhan
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mình đọc bảng tiếng việt prc được tạm dịch bởi cherry phạm, vì bản tiếng anh quá mắc. Trước hết cảm ơn dịch giả đã có tâm dịch cho người việt, nhưng không thể phủ nhận chất lượng dịch "rất tệ" với đa số đoạn không thể hiểu nỗi.
Tuy nhiên, cuốn sách quá tuyệt vời với những ý "khai sáng đầu óc", khiến mình đọc phải bất ngờ. Nó đi từ sinh học, lịch sử sang tâm lý, toán học xác suất và kinh doanh, góp phần giải thích bản chất con người và chỉ ra cách sống tốt hơn.
Một cuốn sách rất hay cho ai "seekin
R.
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ill science if you're looking to improve your own rational understanding of human behavior, psychology and strategic thinking. The historical references to great thinkers and Munger's 24 Standard Causes of Human Misjudgment alone make this worth a read. What's most interesting to see is Munger's own account of how he formed these relationships in building a greater latticework of understanding.
Suzi
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very good book. It breaks the psyche down in a very rational way.
Sanford Chee
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Part 1 'What influences our thinking' traces modern man's cognitive limitations and biases through the lens of evolution.
Part 2 'The psychology of misjudgements' has been better covered by Charlie Munger and more comprehensively dealt with in Donelli's 'Art of Thinking Clearly'

Part 3 'The Physics and Mathematics of Misjudgements' deals with more standard limitations of cognition
- Systems thinking: secondary and tertiary effects and unintended consequences
Arnold
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm in the process of reading this book now. Be warned, Peter Bevlin hasn't paid for a proper editor. I mean, I assume that the author knows the difference between "to and too," but page 82 would suggest otherwise. Make sure to follow Munger's advice as well, or you might have a "very louse career" (282). These sorts of errors are completely disreputable, and have heightened my skepticism about the entire book. Also, some of the writing has a hodge-podge feel to it, and in the Third Edition it f ...more
Edwin Ferran
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
excellent framing of first how the mind works in terms of making decisions, then provides a thought-provoking list of "28 Reasons for Misjudgements and Mistakes" that I found very applicable to the work on organizations and systems. Some examples:

## 1. Bias from mere association - automatically connecting a stimulus with pain or pleasure; including liking or disliking something associated with something bad or good. Includes seeing situations as identical because they seem similar.

## 6. Bias fr
Akhil Jain
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
My fav quotes (not a review):
page 2 |

"Stay away from garages on big highways. Such mechanics know they'll never see you again. Go to a neighborhood garage, where wordofmouth serves as advertising."

Page 3 |

"We do not improve the man we hang. We improve others by him."

Page 4 |

"When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

Page 5 |

"If we want people to take a risk, we should make them feel behind (losing)."

Page 5 |

"Predicting rain doesn't count; building arks does."

Page 10 |

"Adding $20k to t
Lucas Remmerswaal
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Munger is one of the great thinkers of our time and will be remembered for many years to come. part one, deals with what influences our thinking. Part two, the psychology of misjudgements. Part three the physics and mathematics of misjudgements. Part four, guidelines to better thinking. Charlie Munger says "Be consistently not stupid, instead of trying to be very intelligent." - be consistently not stupid by reading the "13 Habits that made me Billions"
Justin
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very good book that I wish was still in print at a reasonable price. Combines wisdom that you'd see in a book of cognitive biases with "How to Win Friends and Influence People"
Allen
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book on how to use simple mental models to make good decisions.
Describes all the big ideas from Newton, Ben Franklin, to Munger. No equations or math required.
Tyson Strauser
Seeking Wisdom is a hard-to-find collection of observations that analyze how some of the world's best thinkers approach problem solving. Great read!
Matias Ketonen
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Much wisdom and tools for thinking. Took pages and pages of notes. A book to return to.
Corina Anghel
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great collection of thinking biases that can help us avoid misjudgments.
Arun Pradeep
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readq
This book gives a nitro boost to the thinking process. Incredibly demanding read. It will take good time to assimilate and implement. A book worth re-reading every year.
Yang Ming Wen
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You will double your wisdom by only reading half of the book!
InvestingByTheBooks.com
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seeking Wisdom is about the gathering of wisdom by studying the finest of what others have already figured out. The book is filled with quotes from some of the greatest thinkers in history from fields such as physics, mathematics, psychology, biology, chemistry, economics, business and investing. Charles Munger of Berkshire Hathaway is in the investing world often quoted as coming up with the concept of multidisciplinary thinking. By internalizing a range of mental models on how to think and beh ...more
Youness
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
يهتم كتاب البحث عن الحكمة كما هو ظاهر من العنوان بتقصي أثر الحكمة انطلاقا مما عايشه الكاتب من تجاربه و تجارب محيطه. ناهيك عن استيقاء معانيها من سير و فلسفة حكماء التاريخ، من بينهم عالم البيولوجيا و مبدع نظرية التطور الإنجليزي تشارلز داروين Charles Munger و ِتشارلز مونجر Charles Munger واحد من أهم المستثمرين ورجال الأعمال اليوم و الشريك الأول لوارين بافيت Warren Buffett.

ارتكز الكاتب في كتابه على أقوال و كتابات عدد كبير من المفكرين العالمين، من أمثال الشاعر اليوناني تيرينتيوس Publius Terentius، ال
Löplip
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vilken bok, denna kräver sin årliga omläsning. Tanken var att använda denna boken som en startsträcka för den beryktade Poor Charlie's Almanack, då jag hört att denna är mer strukturerad och "grundläggande".

Boken grundar sig på fysikens, biologins och psykologins axiom. Det är inga egna åsikter utan Bevelin försöker förklara och exemplifiera hur en rationella beslut bör fattas. Den fungerar som ett sammanfattat latticework av stora idéer från legender.

Första delen i boken sammanfattar evolution
how? 2 19 Aug 14, 2014 08:06PM
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • Damn Right!: Behind the Scenes with Berkshire Hathaway Billionaire Charlie Munger
  • The Moral Sayings of Publius Syrus: A Roman Slave
  • Berkshire Hathaway Letters to Shareholders
  • The Success Equation
  • Bull!: A History of the Boom and Bust, 1982-2004
  • Filters against Folly: How to Survive despite Economists, Ecologists, and the Merely Eloquent
  • Deep Simplicity: Bringing Order to Chaos and Complexity
  • The Outsiders: Eight Unconventional CEOs and Their Radically Rational Blueprint for Success
  • Models of My Life
  • Quality of Earnings
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Explaining Social Behavior: More Nuts and Bolts for the Social Sciences