Start by marking “Evermeet: Island of the Elves” as Want to Read:
Evermeet: Island of the Elves

Evermeet: Island of the Elves (Forgotten Realms)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,370 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Serene, beautiful, inviolate.

Rich in magic and treasure, to those who hear of its legends it is the ultimate paradise. To the beleaguered elves of Toril it is the ultimate refuge. But to many it is the ultimate prize.

At the heart of its story is Amlaruil, Queen of All Elves. When Evermeet comes under massive, devastating attack, her sacrifice holds the last hope of saving
Mass Market Paperback, 490 pages
Published March 1999 by TSR (first published April 1998)

David
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-wotc
Steve
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I’ll start this off by just saying it right off the bat: This novel gets a perfect score, five Beholders out of five Beholders. In my estimation, when a novel is written, Evermeet: Island of the Elves is the book that it is compared to. And, it is hard to compare to this book, really.

I’ll start off with the plotline. The book is great, in that it weaves in and out of different plots, which is the plot of the book itself! Confusing for someone who hasn’t read it, maybe, but for those of you who h
Jesse
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
This was a great bit of Forgotten Realms lore. Cunningham is, as far as cheap fantasy goes, one of the best authors in the Realms.

This book spans thousands of years and tells the story of the elves, from their myths about gods, to the legends about when they arrived on the planet of Aber-Toril, all the way to the most currant history about the elven isle of Evermeet.

Some of the long names and history jumping between chapters became a little confusing, but over all, I really enjoyed it as a great
Kagan Oztarakci
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
"What mattered was not only the honorable choices that a person made, but the temptations they overcame to come to that place of decision."
"I am being pompous and insufferable again. That may be true, but when one is right, one need not apologize prevaricate."
"Remember that your path is your own to follow. Just because you can do a thing, it does not follow that you must."
"If it were easy, it wouldn't be worth doing."
Jesse
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: d-d, forgotten-realms
This is the beginning of my great quest to read all of the Forgotten Realms stories in chronologically order. These posts will contain spoiler and not be posted in a timely manner. I plan on reading books in-between, so who knows how long this will take. I will be using this websites (http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_...) time line and I will be skipping all 4th edition books (or at least most of them), assuming I can figure out which one are 4th edition, because the Spellplauge was garbage. ...more
JJ
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Evermeet: Island of Elves is an ambitious novel and an entertaining one. In it, Elaine Cunningham relates stories that take place during thousands of years of Elvish history. The novel contains much that is entertaining, exciting, engaging, and intriguing. Readers are witness to everything from the early strivings of the Elvish gods to the millennia-later decline of the realm of Evermeet. There are many fabulous stories in this book; there are fierce and bloody battles with many fell monsters, t ...more
Christopher
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really well written overview of some Elvish history set in the D & D universe. The book covers thousand of years of history charting events across a wide amount of time and space. A clever edition is the Spellsinger elements reminding the reader of the overall D & D universe as well as other references to other worlds in this shared universe. The characters are well written and rounded and you are left with the feeling that you hope that others would revisit them at later dates. The stor ...more
Mark
One thing about my taste in books that hasn't changed from my young and dumb days is that I love books like this, which tell the history of a place over a long period of time. It doesn't have to focus long on any one time period. Just show little vignettes as time goes by and this is cool.

Evermeet is this sort of book for the elves of the Forgotten Realms setting, and it is cool, even when there are like, space elves that crash down and join the commune or whatever. That part was a little weird.
Piyush
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Elvish history of surface elves, very easy to read and not intensive. Long time span and scope starting with an event in elven pantheon, arrival of elves in Toril, to migration of elves on Evermeet. Political struggle between many races of elves especially between gold elves and moon elves. In all a short pleasant read.
Sunknight
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Well done and I very much enjoyed the added depth to a world I love playing in. My only complaint was the time jumping which did not seem necessary nor did it add to the story. With the amount of characters one is expected to keep track of, the time jumping only added to the confusion.
Jade
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
I'm not sure if three or four stars would reflect my view more soundly. The manner in which time is handled in the book was a touch difficult for me. I enjoyed the narrative well enough to make up for that, though.
Jim Sager
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant writing by Elaine

The difficulty and in depth jumping around of timelines truly pulled me in. Not for a novice reader but still a book that EVERY Forgotten Realms fan should read!!
Michelle Joy
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. The jumping around confused me a little (especially since I kept being tired when I read) but really enjoyed it and loved getting all that backstory!!
Charles Gory
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am only ten pages into it so so far so good
Kaylah
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Youtube Review of Evermeet: Island of Elves by Elaine Cunningham
Kevin
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
There was so much in this book. It was almost too much. And, while I liked it, I imagine I will be back to read it again.

I liked the elven backstory quite a bit. Definitely #TeamSilver. ;-)
Tony
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I wish the present day story was a book on its own, because it seemed sort of interesting. It came across as rushed and not fleshed out.
B
Aug 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Sort of the "Silmarillion" of the "Forgotten Realms" books--easier to read; not as intensive.
Kaitlin
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, hard-copy
A great addition to the forgotten realms books but it's written in my least favorite format; jumping timeline mixed with jumping POV's.
Siraj Shaikh
Feb 20, 2015 marked it as to-read
It might not be too profound, but I got hooked immediately. And apparently I'm not the only one. All in all, this was one of the most entertaining books that I've read.
Liz
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Best description of the elves and the legacy of the pantheon.
Carrie
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. A thorough history of the elves in the Forgotten Realms.
Stuart Schneider
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a “cute” recounting of the origins of some of the Gods and of the myths and legends of the elves on Toril but quite frankly it barely entertained and it did not need to be this long. Read at a page per minute made it barely tolerable. Rating it amongst the lesser of the forgotten realms novels
Joel Norden
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book. To be honest, I wasn't sure how interesting it would be, but it was great. A little complicated at times as the stories jump back and forth. It was beautifully written and Elaine Cunningham did a good job of keeping me interested.
Dana
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
The story jumped around too much and introduced too many characters. It became hard to follow.
Carcinogencrush
rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2016
Chris
Apr 28, 2016
  • Silverfall: Stories of the Seven Sisters (Forgotten Realms)
  • Final Gate (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #3)
  • The Lost Library of Cormanthyr (Forgotten Realms: Lost Empires, #1)
  • Beyond The High Road (Forgotten Realms: Cormyr Saga, #2)
  • The Halls Of Stormweather (Sembia #1)
  • Blackstaff (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #1)
  • Star of Cursrah (Forgotten Realms: Lost Empires, #3)
  • Realms of the Underdark (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #4)
  • Masquerades (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #10)

Elaine Cunningham is an American fantasy author, best known for her contributions to shared-world settings such as the Forgotten Realms, Star Wars, EverQuest, and Pathfinder Tales.
More about Elaine Cunningham

Forgotten Realms (1 - 10 of 285 books)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
  • The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
  • Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)