Start by marking “Read Write Teach: Choice and Challenge in the Reading-Writing Workshop” as Want to Read:
Read Write Teach: Choice and Challenge in the Reading-Writing Workshop

Read Write Teach: Choice and Challenge in the Reading-Writing Workshop

Veteran teacher and author Linda Rief has inspired thousands of practitioners across the nation to lead adolescent students on a journey to becoming lifelong readers and writers. In ReadWriteTeach, Linda offers the what, how, and why of a year's worth of reading and writing for middle and high school students with a framework that is as flexible as it is comprehensive.

"...This book isn/>"...This
Published April 21st 2014 by Heinemann Educational Books

Mr. Holt
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having just finished "Read Write Teach" I am inspired. Sure, I already utilize the workshop method of literacy instruction in the classroom and so I understand and agree with a lot of what Linda Rief was proposing and discussing. However, she brought up some new techniques regarding the implementation of choice and digging deep into a subject or topic. I now have a list of some things I want to try in my classroom come September. I do wish the book was better organized and less chaotic. Although ...more
Sarah Zerwin
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching, 2015
This is a must-read for any secondary teacher who is trying to teach via a reading-writing workshop. I love Rief's candor about what works and doesn't work in her classroom. She's honest about the hard parts of teaching reading and writing. So many wonderful ideas in this book, easily applicable to high school even though she writes from the context of teaching 8th grade.
Paula
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It just doesn't get much better than learning along with a master teacher like Linda Rief. Working in middle and high school this last year, I found this book to be invaluable. I use the ideas in elementary as well. GREAT resource for all reading/writing teachers
Mrs. Krajewski
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful, practical book for any teacher of reading and writing. I'll be referring back to this one often!
Kate Meyer
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Geared toward middle school, however, can be easily adapted for 9-10. The online resources are excellent.
Marion Sheaffer
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super helpful because it's very explicit and practical. It simply makes sense.
Mrs. Green
The emphasis in this book is on the need for choice in the reading-writing workshop. Ms. Rief is a veteran teacher who helps students explore choice in the workshop setting by asking important questions, such as: "What choices do we make as readers and writers?" and "What choices or lack of choices do you see in literature and in life?" Rief also places emphasis on risk-taking, the reader's- writer's notebook and meaningful assessment. Finally, Rief stated a truth that I, too, have professed on ...more
Diana Pettis
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this text. As I was reading it, I was trying to figure out how to take some of the concepts and tweak them for younger students. Linda Rief, teaches 8th grade language arts and most of the book discusses what she has done with her students over 30+ years of teaching. I also recently had the opportunity to meet her at the teacher tour in Portsmouth, NH. She presented a workshop on using quickwrites with students. This was one concept I could see using with younger student ...more
Jessica Loomis
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Linda Rief, for your honesty, integrity, passion, creativity, and heart. Your book inspired me and gave me many practical ideas as I start using the Reading & Writing Workshop model at my school. Rief does a fabulous job of sharing her teaching and her students' writing in this book (which make great examples to share with students. The personal narrative "Diagnosis" is an excellent mentor text). I haven't checked out the website, but there are tons of website resources that accom ...more
Michele Knott
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well written account of readers and writers workshop ideas and procedures. Grounded in research and the author's beliefs, this book gives many practical ideas for the readers/writers workshop. The ideas come from an upper middle school classroom, but almost all can be adapted for any age. The book has a link to the Heinemann website to download resources and see a variety of classroom examples.
T
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional-ela
I love Linda Rief's clear, specific style of writing as well as her practical ideas for a middle school Reading/Writing Workshop. She helped me rethink how to teach a middle school workshop, staying true to my goals and philosophy, but also managing limited time to teach reading, writing, responding to literature, read aloud, and a real life-long love of literature. Thank you, thank you!
David
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Though somewhat repetitive and similar to Atwell/Kittle, there is honest writing from teacher and student. There are nice online resources and lots of practical projects. Linda Rief's passion and commitment to her students comes through clearly.
C. Rey
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Linda Rief is an inspiration! This book was delightful to read and the margins are full of ideas I have to apply these ideas to my own classroom. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to employ a workshop style program.
Jennifer Brinkmeyer
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
This book is essentially summarizing what Rief does in her classroom. I did pick up a couple of ideas, but I've been teaching long enough not to need someone else's blueprint. If I were newer, I would feel differently.
Lilla
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really fantastic. There is so much I can use in my own teaching. Linda's work affirms my own thoughts about teaching practices and this book really makes me look forward to the beginning of school. Until then, I'd better keep up with my own reader's notebook!
Catherine Greenfeder
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a book study group for teachers. I found it engaging and helpful and wish that I had discovered it earlier in my career. It's well-written, filled with strategies and models for use in the classroom, and I plan to incorporate a number of ideas in the new school year.
Sherri Sieffert
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very good resource for ELA teachers in the middle years. Lots of practical ideas to set up reading and writing workshop.
Karrie
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the practicality of this book the ideas seem applicable to any classroom and I'm excited to try some new ideas next year based on her work.
Joellen Mccarthy
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ts like conductors have the ability to make others powerful. Awaken the possibility in others. @LindaMRief's Read Write Teach is about voices and choices for all learners.
Terre Musselman
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
So much, it's overwhelming, but I have at least twenty sticky notes marking the must-try passages.
Andrea
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. It's practical and helpful. I am using all these principles in my teaching.
Kim
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-books
Linda Rief's update to Seeking Diversity--and as much of a gem as that early and essential work.
Rita Shaffer
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So many great ideas! I think I may write a blog post about the thinking this book ignited, too!
Melissa
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great resource for every middle school and high school English teacher. Once I organize my thoughts I will share some of my favorite ideas.
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So thoughtful and genuine. I was amazed by the ideas and how it made me reflect on myself & my students.
Joanne
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Must have for any ELA teacher!
Janel Amber
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Write Beside Them: Risk, Voice, and Clarity in High School Writing
  • The Writing Thief: Using Mentor Texts to Teach the Craft of Writing
  • In the Best Interest of Students: Staying True to What Works in the ELA Classroom
  • Thrive: 5 Ways to (Re)Invigorate Your Teaching
  • 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Writing with Mentors:
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • Disrupting Thinking: Why How We Read Matters
  • Falling in Love with Close Reading: Lessons for Analyzing Texts--And Life
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • How's It Going?: A Practical Guide to Conferring with Student Writers
  • Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons
  • Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements: How to Teach What Really Matters About Character, Setting, Point of View, and Theme
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking