Start by marking “Database System Concepts” as Want to Read:
Database System Concepts

Database System Concepts

Intended for a first course in databases at the junior or senior undergraduate, or first-year graduate, level, this text contains advanced material with concepts presented as intuitive descriptions, based on the example of a bank enterprise. It aims to present these concepts in a general setting that is not tied to any particular database system.
Unknown Binding, Fifth, 1142 pages
Published June 1st 2007 by Not Avail (first published March 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Database System Concepts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Database System Concepts

Pooja
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academics
Undoubtedly, this is the best book on Database concepts.
With proper examples and explanation, authors' expertise in this area can be comprehended easily.

Gabri
I only covered chapter 1-8 during my Database course, but overall the explanation was clear and the examples were helpful. It really starts from zero foreknowledge and builds it up quickly to where you're able to design a database, write queries (both SQL as well as relational algebra) and check for redundancy. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in learning some database related skills (and willing to carry around a book of 1300 pages).
Ivan Idris
This book teaches about the inner workings, the nuts and bolts of databases without requiring a lot of prior knowledge:

Data Models
Relational Databases
Object Based Databases and XML
Data Storage and Querying
Transaction Management
Database System Architecture

Personally I feel that some material doesn’t belong here, such as XML, but it seems to be a tradition to include it. I found the chapter on indices quite interesting.

At the end of the book there are several chapters on popular commercial d
Amanda Sastri
Gw beli di Palasari dalam format buku asli. Asli tapi bekas. Dapet dengan harga Rp 150.000. Pake duid ortu, jarang gw baca, gw eneg ma Database dan dari segi penjelasan ngejelimet dan... kayaknya ga nyambung ama apa yang dijelasin dosen gw.

Database gw dapet C. Alhamdulillah.
Abraham Krisnanda
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have good explanation of every chapters. But sometimes it doesn't cover every possible conditions. Bible of fundamental database.
Sisi
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer_science
Great book, crappy class.
Alvaro Alcocer Sotil
Base de datos a fondo: empieza con fundamentos basados en el algebra relacional, es por eso que a lo largo del libro usa términos como tupla en vez de fila, relación en vez de tabla, etc. Explica a detalle los algoritmos y su aplicación en la optimización de una base de datos. En los últimos capítulos profundiza en productos de base de datos de Oracle, DB2 de IBM, SQL Server de Microsoft y el uso de workflows en las organizaciones así como el XML como herramienta fundamental para el intercambio ...more
Abigail
Textbook used for class. I liked it well enough, it was one of the most used textbooks I have ever had assigned in college so far. Very helpful. I had some issues with the book for class simply because we were using e-book copies and mine did not like me very well. This just means that I cannot give as good of a review as I might otherwise.
Prashant Singh
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Transaction chapter is explained very well and in very simple words.If you want to understand Conflict Serial. and View serializability then study from this directly because in other websites and youtube video don't explain like it is explained in this BOOK.
Irfin
Oct 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Computer science students
Recommended to Irfin by: Dr. Bernhard Sitohang
This book was used in my Manajemen Informasi class during 2003-2004. As indicated by its title, this book has an in-depth explanation about database system concepts. Though I never read this book completely, but I definitely sure it's a good text book for learning database system.
Gustavo
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro muy bueno para el estudio de las bases de datos, completo
para quien quiere introducirse y saber un poco mas de consultas SQL
Mohammad
Jul 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
این کتاب دید بسیار خوبی در مورد مفاهیم و طراحی دیتابیس می دهد (باتشکر از استاد کیوان پور)
Jyothsna
tooooooooooooo gud
Karl
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish there were some more in-depth examples, but as a survey book it's not too bad.
Faizal
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sapa aja yang mau belajar konsep database
Shelves: komputer
buku ini sangat lengkap dalam membahas dasar hingga penggunaan database pada tahap ahli. data mining, data warehousing, vector database, dsb...ada di sini. Layak untuk dibaca
Ritesh
better book is this.....
Hadi
Feb 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4th eddition is more better than others.
Prashant Singh
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is MUST for GATE exam preparation and also to understand concepts better.Its better to check this book first for any doubt rather than searching the unreliable Internet resources.
Mohammed Sheikh Salem
Theoretical Database concepts consecrate on Relationships and SQL Basics
Luis
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un buen libro de texto sobre Bases de Datos
Deep
Sep 09, 2014
Ayman Mohammad
rated it did not like it
Feb 09, 2017

• An Introduction to Database Systems
  • Computer Organization and Architecture: Designing for Performance
  • Computational Complexity
  • Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL
  • The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit: Practical Techniques for Building Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Systems
  • XML in a Nutshell
  • Database Systems: The Complete Book
  • Algorithms Plus Data Structures Equals Programs (Prentice-Hall series in automatic computation)
  • Elements of the Theory of Computation
  • Object-Oriented Software Construction (Book/CD-ROM)
  • Computer Organization
  • Database Management Systems
  • Artificial Intelligence: Structures and Strategies for Complex Problem Solving
  • Code Reading: Open Source Perspective
  • The Art of Computer Programming: Volume 3: Sorting and Searching
  • The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms
  • MySQL Cookbook
  • Learning XML

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Abraham Silberschatz is the Sidney J. Weinberg Professor & Chair of Computer Science at Yale University. Prior to joining Yale, he was the Vice President of the Information Sciences Research Center at Bell Laboratories. Prior to that, he held a chaired professorship in the Department of Computer Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin.
Professor Silberschatz is an ACM Fellow and an IEEE F