Start by marking “A Smarter Way to Learn JavaScript: The new approach that uses technology to cut your effort in half” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

Learn JavaScript with half the effort, aided by technology. Master each chapter with free interactive exercises online. Live simulation lets you see your practice code run in your browser. 2,000 lines of color-keyed sample code break it all down into easy-to-learn chunks. Extra help through the rough spots so you're less likely to get stuck. Tested on ...more
Published December 1st 2013

Start your review of A Smarter Way to Learn JavaScript: The new approach that uses technology to cut your effort in half
Grace Nellore
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just like its HTML/CSS counterpart, I think this book is wonderful as a quick reference guide. It is clear and well organized, and gets straight to the point--code everywhere. Learning by doing is a great strategy, but I feel that for long-term learners, a book like "The Eloquent JavaScript" might be a better start. Still a good buy and I would recommend to others. ...more
John Shrader
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to JavaScript , especially as a first programming language

Pros:
-Gets you writing code quickly
-Includes online practice problems, that if completed, really help you retain the information
-Doesn't assume previous programming experience and has clear explanations where needed
-Author asks for and responds to feedback

Cons:
-won't be the only JavaScript book you need, as it doesn't really cover design patterns, or any super in depth stuff
-doesn't go over any of the new ES6 stuff

This was my
Jamil Lawrence
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good javascript practice. It will seem repetitive, but it forces some common things into memory, and it forces to execute quickly.
Kay
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I've been using CodeCademy for a while to learn Javascript when I switched over to this book. So I'm not a total neophyte, but I definitely don't know everything about Javascript. (I also read the last quarter-ish of the book after taking a 6 month coding bootcamp immersive course, so it was all much more familiar.)

Written in small portions, the chapters are manageable in under half an hour for the most part. This means that people could conceivably do a chapter a day and finish
Дмитрий Давыдов
This is a great book for beginners who don't have any programming experience, for it is very simple and straightforward. The chapters are short and each covers only one topic, so they're easy to read and understand, plus online coding exercises make learning even easier.

However, the book doesn't go beyond the surface of JavaScript, it merely slightly touches programming best practices, and it won't bring readers in-depth understanding of the language's inner machinery. So experienced programmers
Steve Dalton
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Good and basic intro book for JS

This is a great first book for someone who knows absolutely nothing about JavaScript. But I'm not sure such people really exist anymore. For the typical reader, some of this might be too elementary (and a little too repetitive). Still, it's definitely worth going through for the exercises, which are also very repetitive (but that might be a good thing). I would've liked little more coverage of JavaScript, but there are plenty of other books for that.
Isaac
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very great book so easy to understand
Dan
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book for anyone new to JavaScript or programming in general.

I have a fair amount of programming experience already, but I still learnt a lot from this book, as I had no prior experience with front-end development at all (aside from HTML stuff by osmosis).

I liked that you really spend the vast majority of your time doing the online exercises rather than only reading, and I felt that the knowledge stuck a lot better compared to many other learning resources I have tried over the years.

Big re
Donald Mitchell
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent for its stated purpose

Explanations are thorough without being overwhelming. He explains what items are optional, variable, and required. It is not an exhaustive treatment of all the functionality of Javascript, nor does it claim to be. It provides a strong foundation that can be built upon by other, more technical books. Easy to read for the novice non-programmer, but someone more experienced may find it moves a little slow for their liking. Again, think INTRO not advanced.
Javkhlan Tsogtsaikhan
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Little fundamentals, but nothing much

I had some expectations because of the previous reviews. Unfortunately, I am very disappointed after reading this book for couple of reasons.
1. There is basically no visual representations to visualize
2. Just concepts after concepts, without having much logical connections
3. No higher order functions and array methods, which are very crucial to step up your knowledge on JavaScript
I would suggest go for other book or probably the best bet is go to Udemy and
Jemimah Dhove
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Woo-hoo! I finally finished this. Three minutes to 00:00 hrs.
It contains the very basics such that the more advanced concepts you'll go on to learn elsewhere will be more easily understood. If you're beyond beginner level, you'll probably think it useless. Just as well.
Javascript is a pretty knotty language. I'm speaking for myself when I say that.
As with any other thing, a solid foundation will pay off dividends. This book is a good start, but only a start.
Ignaz
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had started with this book.

This is a great way to start programming/JavaScript. The book and exercises are explicitly designed not to overwhelm a beginner and to build up confidence by drilling basic syntax and practicing to write small junks of code. I wish I had started with this book. It would have saved me a lot of frustration on other online learning platforms. But better late than never. Oh, and the author is also fun to read!
Dick
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first half of the book offers very good explanation on the key concepts in JS, it helps solidify what I already learnt. The second half is very much web programming focus, I am glad I read the HTML/CSS book before I start this half. Unlike “JavaScript for kids” this one does not involve creating interactive games but basic concepts on how to build website and database using JS. This is useful but it cannot be your first and only book on JS.
Steven Dyk
Jul 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: programming
Probably I / you could learn JS with this book, but this is tightly integrated with the online exercise tool that too often flags responses as incorrect when they are OK, but do not adhere to the specific answer accepted by the program. There are better - much better - books and online resources available for learning JS
Shannon Callahan
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The only reason I put three stars due to lack of updated with new JavaScript. And this author still put some Js stuffs in html. My mentor at bootcamp said that kind of learning should be avoided. So eh.
Sikhosana Dhliwayo
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great approach to learning and Wonderful exercises

I have used several books to learn different programming languages but the approach used in this book is excellent. Hats off to Mr Myers! Thank you so much for making my journey to leaning JavaScript a bit easier👏🏼
Jon Jones
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this book in order to learn something new about Javascript. This book is not targettg towards experienced developers. This book is probably great for beginners completely new to programming.
The book is pretty basic and too simple for people who have several years of experience.
Aleksei Uljassov
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book, it has excellent examples, plus the author provides a webpage to practice everything you have read. It took me a LOT of time to go through everything, but it is worth it and of course this book does not cover everything.
Kyle Kenney
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Easy and fast way to learn a coding language.
Pxljedi
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best JavaScript Book for Truly Learning JavaScript

I love doing the timed exercises. The book is broken down into small parts—which make it easier to digest the material.
Natasha Holme
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web, non-fiction
Easily digestible, discreet learning chunks, with online exercises thrown in. Worked for me.
Diana Ghabuzyan
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book for starters, it combines theory with practice, which is may be the best part. I'd totally recommend this to starters. ...more
Delhi Irc
Location: GG5 IRC
Accession No: DL028516
Carl
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you're a beginner programmer I have no doubt that this book could be of value to learning how to code in JavaScript. What the book has going for it is very clear instructions and breakdown of the example code, as well as practical work to do and explanation of syntax and a style guild. While there were a few editing mistakes I didn't see any code related ones. I'm not quite sure what the author regards as the "smarter way". Unless like the author of Learn Python The Hard Way he simply feels t ...more
David Rugge
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was initially excited at the concept of a book/online exercises combo. In practice, the book was pretty good for a beginner's guide to Javascript, but the online exercises, after about chapter 40 or so, were not up to the task of really teaching you how a javascript program fits together.

I had several problems with the exercises:
-They were repetitive. All chapters used the same number and type of exercises, even when longer-form exercises would be more appropriate.
-The coding of the questions
John Micallef
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I ever read on programming from start to finish. It's not just a great introduction to JavaScript but it's a great introduction to programming in general. I did none of the exercises but I paid attention to every single word and I refused to move on to the next section until I understood it, even if it meant spending days on a chapter. I've read many books on programming, but this one really taught me everything I needed to know about stuff like string operations, functio ...more
Chris Bracco
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a solid book for learning syntax, and very basic programming concepts and techniques. It was not very exciting, in that you don't actually build anything useful in the exercises. The format is to read a chapter for 10 minutes, and then do some exercises. Rinse and repeat.

Some things feel outdated, while others definitely still hold up. Splice vs. slice was an especially helpful section for me. Would recommend for absolute beginners looking to learn some basic JavaScript syntax!
Marlous
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
very helpful, easy to understand and the practice that comes after every chapter really helps you to understand what the chapter is about
Pavel Karateev
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dev, myers
Good introduction book (html is a prerequisite). Too boring for 5 stars but there is no other good enough options I believe.

Pros:
- free online interactive exercises (coding practice);
- short and sharp chapters;
- smart progress line;

Cons:
- weird design;
- pretty tenuous.
Lee Stoe
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The material is interactive. I completed the book and built JavaScript into my personal portfolio website. Excellent approach to learning. The author, Mark, responded to my feedback almost immediately.

• Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
  • Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence—and How You Can, Too
  • JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development
  • Learn Python in One Day and Learn It Well: Python for Beginners with Hands-on Project
  • Beginning Programming with Java for Dummies
  • How to Hug a Porcupine: Negotiating the Prickly Points of the Tween Years
  • A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • The Japanese Table: Small Plates for Simple Meals
  • Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship
  • Kodokan Judo: The Essential Guide to Judo by Its Founder Jigoro Kano
  • The Tool Book: A Tool Lover's Guide to Over 200 Hand Tools
  • Sulky, Rowdy, Rude?: Why kids really act out and what to do about it
  • The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For and Believe

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark Myers is a former lecturer in the Communications School of Boston University. He develops interactive training and websites. He holds an A.B. from Harvard.

His professional focus is on using technology to reduce the effort and tedium of learning, primarily through interactivity. He is developing the "A Smarter Way to Learn" series on programming, a collection of instructional books paired with