Start by marking “The Greatest Short Stories of Leo Tolstoy” as Want to Read:
The Greatest Short Stories of Leo Tolstoy

The Greatest Short Stories of Leo Tolstoy

The Greatest Short Stories Of Leo Tolstoy is a compilation of seven enthralling stories by Leo Tolstoy, and it was published in the year 2009. The book contains well-known works by the author, including the book that is considered by many as his best, War and Peace. Some of his other stories that are covered in this book include Ivan the Fool, How Much Land Does A Man Need ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Jaico Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest Short Stories of Leo Tolstoy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest Short Stories of Leo Tolstoy

Start your review of The Greatest Short Stories of Leo Tolstoy
Ujjawal Sureka
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Short Stories, Morality, Theism
Publication Date: 2009

This book, in a way, offers a lot of moral ideas in the form of fun and interesting stories. Most of them are based on the Old Russian country sides. It was a fun book all in all.
Adams Bracken
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As relevant today as when it was written. I read Tolstoy a few decades ago. Rereading the stories made me realize how much I learned from Tolstoy. His clean clear prose makes the characters come to life. The lessons he taught are still relevant in our busy lives. I bought this book at special price from here:
Rajesh
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this collection of short stories for their descriptive portraits, simple, immense readability that makes for a limpid reading experience, and the socio-cultural context of Russia the book allowed me to visit. I haven't read Tolstoy's work prior to this, and perhaps will consider one of his longer novels (otherwise, I admittedly get discouraged by books that are too long).
Hesamul Haque
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple yet profound.
Sulava Singha
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
collection of short stories! I am a huge fan of short fiction and loved Leo Tolstoy's way of narration! what a meaningful writings , this book is full of good fiction with thoughtful writing say it a philosophy ! Few of the stories I read in school time as a part of English literature. Never mind I can read them many times
one of my favourite is "God sees the truth but waits" "A spark neglected burns the house" " Ivan the fool" "how much land does a man need" and " the God son" almost I loved al
Arghya
I really liked this book. Tolstoy had an uncanny ability to draw portraits of common folks and the evidence of this ability is scattered in all the stories.

As a side note, I should mention that the book's appearance - the cover, the font used, the pictures - all are really nice. The publishing house has done a good job!
Swetank Anand
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome, "what men live by" is best short story I have ever read
Arpit Arya
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ivan the Fool is my favourite from this book 📖.
The thing I love about Tolstoy's writing is a simple & effective way to communicate a strong message. Every short story resonates with a core message and way one should lead their life. I will not spill the beans but yes one story a day will keep you refreshed and will continue to ignite a spark for learning something curious each day.
Sonam Dubey
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not even once I got bored reading this book. Felt very positive and it increased my faith in god and humanity. Stories are not very lengthy and I can literally picture the era when author wrote these stories. I wish to read more of Leo Tolstoy!
Asha Seth
Quite indeed the greatest short stories of all times from the iconic story-teller, moralist, and philosophist Leo Tolstoy.
Ralph Wechuli
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fictional stories with profound philosophical lessons. Favorites: "Ivan the fool", "How much land does a man need".
Recommended.
Narayana
A decent collection of short stories, easy read.
Chethan SP
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really Profound!! I think the stories will be relevant even after a century.

Suhasa
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories that were memorable and taught some valuable life lessons-
1. How much land does a man need.
2. Essarhaddon, King of Assyria.
3. The Story of Ivan the Fool.
4. Three Questions.
5. God sees the truth, but waits.
One story was particularly funny - Too Dear!

All other stories failed to be memorable or too theist, being an atheist I couldn't care too much about those. Skipped last two stories for the same reason.

Looking forward to read his epics like War and Peace and Anna Karenina.
Sreerag S
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of stories teaching good values for life.

Collection of stories written by leo Tolstoy.
It has some really good stories which teaches life lessons. The collection has different segments such as folk tales,fairy tale, short stories etc. It's a good book if u r looking for some nice stories.
Praval Priyaranjan
The stories teach us the basic lessons of life and emphasizes on values which we should inculcate in ourselves and pass to the next generation. The tool is Christian ethics, but it is not hard to see that core human values transcend religion
Sai Rahul
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably the greatest life messages/lessons by a human

Every story got it's own zeal , just read it without a second thought. If one consider to know how to live a life to be, then this is for you.
Suraj Das
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
:) :) worth a read but some stories are way out of their timeline
Pawan Saini
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice short stories. A few stories are good reads for kids as well.
Most of the stories hover around the concept of doing benevolent things. Karma!!
Part ii of the book is a must read.
Ashwini
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
short, rivetting, complete stories. loved the simple language and storyline. nothing too complicated.
Whit
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cemented him in my top 5 of all time favorite authors to read. The man is timeless!
Jeffy Thomas
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple moral stories yet couldn't be more relevant today! Delightful narration by Tolstoy.
Neel Ghosh
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
a pleasant and soothing read
Red Hood
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much better than so much many. ✨🔥
Raman Gupta
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting

The book is a collection of stories/parables with moral messages told in a very interesting manner. I really liked it.
Amulya N Grace
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a short ,sweet & yet a book full of thoughtful advice which I believe is much needed for any generation. ...more
AKANSHA
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its a classic what more can i say..i loved it.
Ritika Gaur
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing stories
Minci (Ayurveda) Ahmetovic
Family Happiness
I felt that my whole life was bound to go on in the same solitude and help dreariness from which I had myself no strength and even no wish to escape. Money was needed for this and we hardly knew how our affairs stood after mum death.Your whole life lies b4 you and now/never is the time to prepare for it,save yourself future regrets. A year hence it will be too late. You must find more to do/not get depressed. Proper object of life was happiness I promised myself much happiness ah
Parvati Mohan
I didn't enjoy this too much. To me, most of the stories were extremely predictable and more or less pointing in the same direction. The writing felt a little too preachy for my liking.

There were a few stories that were amusing, and these contain nuggets that one may ponder over, even so many years later. But at the end, I came away with the sense that Tolstoy may not be as timeless as he's usually held up to be.

Perhaps it is just that this particular collection isn't very well thought-out, but
« previous 1 3 next »

• My Favourite Nature Stories
  • A GATHERING OF FRIENDS:
MY FAVOURITE STORIES
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Lost Stories
  • Do It Today: Overcome Procrastination, Improve Productivity, and Achieve More Meaningful Things
  • ஒரு மனிதன் ஒரு வீடு ஒரு உலகம் [Oru Manidhan Oru Veedu Oru Ulagam]
  • Bhagavad Gita Made Very Easy: Read & Understand Complete Bhagavad Gita in Short Time
  • Krishna's Secret
  • Leonardo da Vinci: A Life From Beginning to End
  • The Room on the Roof
  • Ghore baire
  • Train to Pakistan
  • শেষ বিকেলের মেয়ে
  • Best Stories from Around the World
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more