Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality” as Want to Read:
In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality

(Schrödinger's Cat #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  16,086 ratings  ·  394 reviews
Quantum theory is so shocking that Einstein could not bring himself to accept it. It is so important that it provides the fundamental underpinning of all modern sciences. Without it, we'd have no computers, no science of molecular biology, no understanding of DNA, no genetic engineering.

In Search of Schrodinger's Cat tells the complete story of quantum mechanics, a truth s
...more
Kindle Edition, Updated edition, 400 pages
Published March 29th 2012 by Transworld Digital (first published September 1984)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about In Search of Schrödinger's Cat, please sign up.
Popular Answered Questions
Joseph Muhsen هو ليس فقط للمتخصصين وكما يمكنك قراءة تأريخ تطور الفزياء كي تكون على صورة أوضح لهذا الكتاب.
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
4.02  · 
Rating details
 ·  16,086 ratings  ·  394 reviews


Filter
 | 
Sort order
brian
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
um...

- i read this book
- i didn't read this book
- i read this book and didn't read this book
- i read this book in one universe and didn't in another
- this book didn't exist until i read it

gribbin's great because he won't dumb down but genuinely wants you to understand this stuff. and b/c he believes in time travel.
yay!
Rebecca
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: curious cats
Shelves: favorites
this book is f******n awesome.

i read it in highschool and then again in college - because while you're reading it it's like having a really good teacher who holds your attention and makes you understand unusual ideas but as soon as you finish and put it down you're like "wait, how does that work again?" so for me at least, i have to be reading it to maintain that state of enlightenment. maybe after a certain number of reads it will stick - because i am not naturally good at this sort of subject.
...more
Shaimaa Ali
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
لا ادرى ما هو الحال اذا كنت قد قرات هذا الكتاب منذ عشر سنوات مضت ؟!!
ربما كنت سافهم الكثير مما بدا لى كطلاسم اثناء دراستى الجامعية .. ربما كنا غيرت تخصصى الحالى .. ربما وربما..
جون جريبين ياخذك من يدك ليعلمك الكثير عن فيزياء الكم مع القليل جداً من المعادلات الرياضية .. اعترف بخجلى الشديد لاننى لم افهم الكثير لنسيانى موضوعات فيزيائية اساسية ، واصابتى بالحنق ايضاً لانه تقريبا توقفت دراستنا عند الفيزياء الكلاسيكية وتكلمت باستحياء شديد على مبادىء النظرية النسبية ومعادلة شرودنجر .. لاجد ان العالم يتحد
...more
ريهام يوسف
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
اضافة للريفيو القديم
انا كل م اقرأ حاجة ف الفيزياء ، ايا كانت نسبية او ميكانيكا الكم او حاجة ملهاش علاقة بيهم ،
بفتكر الكتاب ده وبفتكر كل كلمة فيه وبكون عايزة افتحه وابص فيه و واخداه م مرجع ليا ، بس هو تايه وسط كتب التابلت :D
اي حد عايز يقرأ عن الفيزياء ، يبدأ ب الكتاب ده بجد


كتاب فخيم اوي الصراحة وتقيل ومليان اوي ويتوه ,, بس معتقدش ان في اخفّ منه يفهمك لو انت مش متخصص ف المجال ده ... لأنه ببساطة فيزياء رياضية وهو كده وبس

الكتاب ابتدا بأنه يشرح ازاي اكتشفوا الالكترون والفوتون والضوء كـ موجة وبعد ك
...more
Bryant
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so to best describe this book, I need to first describe Schrodingers cat. Keep in mind that this an illustration of what Schrodinger saw as the problem with the Copenhagen idea of Quantum superposition. Imagine a box with a cat inside. A vial of a deadly chemical which will instantly kill the cat is placed inside with the cat, sealed so the feline is safe. A hammer is set up with a rig to smash the vial but only if the following occurs. A small amount of radioactive material is inside a ge ...more
Abu Hasan محمد عبيد
هو واحد من أهم الكتب العلمية التي قرأتها لغاية اليوم
يمتاز بحسن العرض، والتسلسل التاريخي للأفكار، وسعة إطلاع مؤلفه على المادة التي يتناولها
كما أن ترجمته ممتازة
Sean
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who prefer analogies to equations.
Gribbin seems to have a sound understanding of quantum mechanics, and his writing is rather well crafted, but sometimes I think he'd rather have been a historian than a physicist. The first half of the book is mostly intricate historical accounts of the key players of the story of quantum mechanics over the last century. Gribbin reveals the concepts very slowly, which might not be a bad thing, so this may seem a bit tedious at first. However, by the end, the concepts are clear and complete. At l ...more
Hank
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-clean-2018
4 stars for science nerds, 3 stars for everyone else. An in depth discussion of the birth of quantum physics, where it is now and what it means for the future. Not much math and fairly accessible but not as easy to read as Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. I enjoyed it for the survey of physics giants in the early 20th century from Einstein to Heisenburg. The last 1/3 of the book were a series of explanations of experiments used to prove some of the theorems which were fascinating. I think a g ...more
Mohammed Alsuayegh
هذا الكتاب يسرد مراحل نشأة وتطور الفيزياء الكمية تاريخيا، ويناقش نظريات العلماء وتجاربهم وأبحاثهم وخلافاتهم في تلك الفترة حتى يصل بك إلى التفسيرات الفيزيائية المحتملة التي يتباها علماء هذا العصر. ستتعرف على أبطال الميكانيكا الكمية واكتشافاتهم واستنتاجاتهم الغريبة خلال القرن الماضي.
عندما بدأت قراءة الكتاب كنت مستمتعاً لكن عندما قطعت شوطاً بدأت الأحداث والأسماء والنظريات والتواريخ تكثر وتتداخل ببعضها حتى فقدت التركيز!
كان من الأجدى للكاتب أن يبتعد عن التشويش والتفصيل قدر الإمكان ويحاول صياغة الموضو
...more
Melda
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doğru düzgün fizik temeli olamamış biri olarak anlamakta zorlandığım yerler oldu. :( Ama son kısım harikaydı. Tam beklediğim şeydi <3
Guillermo
Este libro me permitió asomarme un poco al no intuitivo mundo cuántico. Desde ya que entendí poco y nada. Pero se deja leer.
Bhavana Kilambi
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Physics was one subject i was never good at during High school (not that i was great at any of the other subjects though but Physics was a nightmare). There were concepts which were totally ambiguous to me and went way above my head. This book not only clarified some of them but also instilled in me a deep interest in Physics.
In this book, John Gribbin gives a fabulous peek into the magical realm of quantum physics.

He begins with an explanation on the very basic unit of life - "the atom" and t
...more
Joe
May 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this again after a few years so that when I give it to my girlfriend to read and EXPAND HER MIND I will be able to help guide her through it. So far, it has been a great intro to quantum mechanics. It's supposed to be for the layman, and it appears fairly basic, but I have some background, so it's hard for me to judge that.

EDIT:
Well, it wasn't as good as I remember it. Maybe it was the passage of time and the advancement of science, maybe it was my own further studies in the field, m
...more
Sajjad thaier
(كل العلوم اما فيزياء أو جمع طوابع البريد )
ارنست رذرفورد
**********
يأخذنا جون جريبين في رحلة رائعة ممتعة وجميلة ,و لا تخلوا من التعقيد والغموض في عالم ميكانيكا الكم الشائك ذو النظريات الغريبة المنافية للمنطق الذي تعلمنا عليه ,ويعرفنا بالعلماء الذين اسسوا هذا الصرح الفيزيائي العظيم ,الذي تعتمد عليه اغلب تقنياتنا عليه اليوم ويخبرنا عن افكارهم وارائهم الصائبة والخاطئة .
ويبدأ الكاتب رحلته من الضوء والصراع الذي رافقه لعقود حول طبيعته الموجية ام الجسيمية , التي حسمت على يد عالم شاب متحمس استطاع ان يأخ
...more
Shashwat Rohilla
A very well explained journey of quantum science. John clearly tells us why there was even a need for these theories and how, after many weird observations, the concept of Schrodinger's Cat and other theories emerged. I am neither a mathematician nor a physicist. Still, the way he wrote, it's not much difficult for a guy like me to comprehend the book.
Pete
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This must be the 10th time I have re-read this book. I met the author way back when I was a kid and have always been fascinated with solving the quantum mysteries and physics. This book and others from Gribbin were exceedingly well written in language that didn't require a PhD. It was spellbinding and quite enjoyable to re-read.
Anas Elgaud
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anas by: Sata Lahiwel
Thankkkyou John Gribbin.

Okay I finally finished the book. "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it"-Erwin Schrödinger. Well, first of all I really believe that 'science does not need dressing-up in the hand-me-downs of someone else's philosophy'. And this book wasn't doing that throughout the most part of the pages, at some points it was irritating when Gribbin was actually doing what he considered as a bad habit of science "popularizers"; I'm guessing more like a market
...more
Riju Ganguly
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amidst a plethora of books purportedly dealing with "explaining Quantum Theory to the layman" this book stands apart, as well as taller, by virtue of two qualities: -
1. It's really really well written, even by the high standards of popular science set by the luminaries, and remains deliciously readable even after more than three decades since its publication.
2. It's unapologetically forthcoming, and NEVER tries to dumb down things in an effort towards becoming more "accommodating" and "plebian",
...more
Haneen Alhatlany
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
كتاب مذهل جعلني أرى الكون بعين أخرى تمامًا، رغم اني كنت مطلعة على الكم ونظرياته لكن كانت اشياء بسيطة لم تأخذني الى لب هذه النظرية المجنونة.
.
يبدأ جريبين كتابه بقوانين الفيزياء الكلاسيكية او قوانين نيوتن ويشرحها وكيف انها تلائم الأشياء (الكبيرة) فقط في الكون، ثم ينتقل لعدم ملاءمة هذه القوانين للجسيمات الصغيرة جدًا التي يكتشفها علماء الفيزياء فيبدؤون بالبحث والتجربة الى ان تنكشف لهم اولى بوادر ميكانيكا الكم، ثم يبدأ بتناول كل عالم ونظرياته وتجاربه في هذه النظرية الجديدة بشرح وافي جدًا وترجمة جميلة
...more
Cassandra Kay Silva
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I really enjoy history, and if you are looking for a book that gives much about the history of the development of modern Quantum Mechanics this is a wonderful read. It also simplifies many principles to make it more accessible to non mathematical minds such as myself. Besides that I just kind of loved it and you might too.
Manny
Apr 02, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I wish I'd written A Quantum Theory of Mitt Romney . In particular, Figure 2... the best Feynman diagram joke I've ever seen!
Farhana
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
The writer was quite positive towards his attempt in explaining quantum theory. His approach was quite neat & clean , comprehensive . However , it made me sad in the end ~
Steve Cunningham
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made my head hurt. Or didn't make my head hurt. Or made my head hurt and not hurt simultaneously.
Drew
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
A highly readable and exciting account of a topic that I love.
Blue
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أخذ مني هذا الكتاب الكثير من الجهد الذهني.
Audra
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I first read this book when I was a freshman in college (a business major at the time). Until then, I had never given much thought to the sciences, but this book was so fascinating for me that it eventually lead to me changing my major. I thought the book was as easy of a read as physics can be. The author did a good job of making it understandable for the layperson. The concepts in here are so mind-boggling that it's often difficult to even begin to imagine them, but that's what makes the book ...more
Larbi Gouzal
كتاب آخر عن ميكانيكا الكوانتم، الذراع الثاني للفيزياء الذي يفسر الفيزياء على المستوى الذري، بعد الأول (النسبية العامة) التي تفسر الميكانيكا على المستوى الكبير (الماكرو).
الكتاب محاولة لتبسيط هذه النظرية للعامة، لكني واجهت صعوبة في فهم بعض فصول الكتاب أومايريد الكاتب قوله، رغم درايتي السابقة المتواضعة طبعا لأهم مبادئ الكوانتم (مبدأ التراكب، مبدأ عدم اليقين..إلخ)؛ وأعتقد أن مرد هذا عائد إلى الترجمة الغير موفقة في بعض الأحايين، فقد وجدت صعوبة في قراءة بعض العبارات، إضافة لغياب الرسوم التوضيحية في بع
...more
Sata
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Book, recommended for a better background on Quantum Mechanics...
it's well written and neatly presented, with a great historical,theoretical and technical insights about the beauty of the Quantum world, with lots of fundamental aspects and termonolgy of the theory and all you want to know about the different interpretations and thought experiments which i think are my favorite part of the book, even though the chemistry related parts were boring (i don't like it), but overall, its great!
...more
Greg
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best books I have read on Quantum Physics. It turns out to be a slow read, because it gives you examples, and then to fully understand the examples you find yourself working out the aspects of it. It is only about 250 pages, but it took me the better part of six months to get through. Awesome book!
Sarah
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have an abusive relationship with physics, I love it but it doesn’t love me and that makes me sad. This was just too advanced for me and I never really got to grips with it. I understood parts of it but not enough to enjoy it. My one sided relationship with physics continues...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Antimatter
  • Does God Play Dice?: The New Mathematics of Chaos
  • QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter
  • Quantum Reality
  • The Fabric of Reality: The Science of Parallel Universes--and Its Implications
  • Dreams of a Final Theory: The Scientist's Search for the Ultimate Laws of Nature
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science and What Comes Next
  • Black Holes & Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy
  • Faster Than the Speed of Light: The Story of a Scientific Speculation
  • An Introduction to Black Holes, Information and the String Theory Revolution: The Holographic Universe
  • The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe
  • Where Does The Weirdness Go?: Why Quantum Mechanics Is Strange, But Not As Strange As You Think
  • The Ghost in the Atom: A Discussion of the Mysteries of Quantum Physics
  • Just Six Numbers: The Deep Forces That Shape the Universe
  • Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
  • Science: Good Bad, and Bogus
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing
453 followers
John R. Gribbin is a British science writer, an astrophysicist, and a visiting fellow in astronomy at the University of Sussex. The topical range of his prolific writings includes quantum physics, biographies of famous scientists, human evolution, the origins of the universe, climate change and global warming. His also writes science fiction.

John Gribbin graduated with his bachelor's degree in phy
...more

Other books in the series

Schrödinger's Cat (2 books)
  • Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality: Solving the Quantum Mysteries
“In the world of the very small, where particle and wave aspects of reality are equally significant, things do not behave in any way that we can understand from our experience of the everyday world...all pictures are false, and there is no physical analogy we can make to understand what goes on inside atoms. Atoms behave like atoms, nothing else.” 31 likes
“...the best things in science are both beautiful and simple, a fact that all too many teacher conceal from their students, by accident or design.” 19 likes
More quotes…