Start by marking “In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality” as Want to Read:
In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality

In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality

(Schrödinger's Cat #1)

Quantum theory is so shocking that Einstein could not bring himself to accept it. It is so important that it provides the fundamental underpinning of all modern sciences. Without it, we'd have no computers, no science of molecular biology, no understanding of DNA, no genetic engineering.

In Search of Schrodinger's Cat tells the complete story of quantum mechanics, a truth s
Kindle Edition, Updated edition, 400 pages
Published March 29th 2012 by Transworld Digital (first published September 1984)

To ask other readers questions about In Search of Schrödinger's Cat, please sign up.
Joseph Muhsen هو ليس فقط للمتخصصين وكما يمكنك قراءة تأريخ تطور الفزياء كي تكون على صورة أوضح لهذا الكتاب.
Timothy Morrison Depends! Quantum is Nullo space basically! It puts phenomenology into physics

Start your review of In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality
brian
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
um...

- i read this book
- i didn't read this book
- i read this book and didn't read this book
- i read this book in one universe and didn't in another
- this book didn't exist until i read it

gribbin's great because he won't dumb down but genuinely wants you to understand this stuff. and b/c he believes in time travel.
yay!
Rebecca
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: curious cats
Shelves: favorites
this book is f******n awesome.

i read it in highschool and then again in college - because while you're reading it it's like having a really good teacher who holds your attention and makes you understand unusual ideas but as soon as you finish and put it down you're like "wait, how does that work again?" so for me at least, i have to be reading it to maintain that state of enlightenment. maybe after a certain number of reads it will stick - because i am not naturally good at this sort of subject.
Nandakishore Varma
I was reading alone in my study in the night, when there was a movement behind me. "Miaow," someone said.

I looked behind me. A tabby was sitting, contentedly washing herself. "Hey! Where did you come from?" I asked.

"You can see me?" She beamed. "Whew! That's a load off my mind. I thought I might be dead."

I found this rather strange. "How can you talk to me if you are dead?"

"Well, I meant dead in this universe." She went on with her toilet.

I was a bit uneasy. Needless to say, talking cats appeari
Bryant
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so to best describe this book, I need to first describe Schrodingers cat. Keep in mind that this an illustration of what Schrodinger saw as the problem with the Copenhagen idea of Quantum superposition. Imagine a box with a cat inside. A vial of a deadly chemical which will instantly kill the cat is placed inside with the cat, sealed so the feline is safe. A hammer is set up with a rig to smash the vial but only if the following occurs. A small amount of radioactive material is inside a ge ...more
Sean
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who prefer analogies to equations.
Gribbin seems to have a sound understanding of quantum mechanics, and his writing is rather well crafted, but sometimes I think he'd rather have been a historian than a physicist. The first half of the book is mostly intricate historical accounts of the key players of the story of quantum mechanics over the last century. Gribbin reveals the concepts very slowly, which might not be a bad thing, so this may seem a bit tedious at first. However, by the end, the concepts are clear and complete. At l ...more
Hank
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-clean-2018
4 stars for science nerds, 3 stars for everyone else. An in depth discussion of the birth of quantum physics, where it is now and what it means for the future. Not much math and fairly accessible but not as easy to read as Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. I enjoyed it for the survey of physics giants in the early 20th century from Einstein to Heisenburg. The last 1/3 of the book were a series of explanations of experiments used to prove some of the theorems which were fascinating. I think a g ...more
Bhavana Kilambi
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Physics was one subject i was never good at during High school (not that i was great at any of the other subjects though but Physics was a nightmare). There were concepts which were totally ambiguous to me and went way above my head. This book not only clarified some of them but also instilled in me a deep interest in Physics.
In this book, John Gribbin gives a fabulous peek into the magical realm of quantum physics.

He begins with an explanation on the very basic unit of life - "the atom" and t
Joe
May 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this again after a few years so that when I give it to my girlfriend to read and EXPAND HER MIND I will be able to help guide her through it. So far, it has been a great intro to quantum mechanics. It's supposed to be for the layman, and it appears fairly basic, but I have some background, so it's hard for me to judge that.

EDIT:
Well, it wasn't as good as I remember it. Maybe it was the passage of time and the advancement of science, maybe it was my own further studies in the field, m
Manny
Apr 02, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I wish I'd written A Quantum Theory of Mitt Romney . In particular, Figure 2... the best Feynman diagram joke I've ever seen! ...more
Shashwat Rohilla
A very well explained journey of quantum science. John clearly tells us why there was even a need for these theories and how, after many weird observations, the concept of Schrodinger's Cat and other theories emerged. I am neither a mathematician nor a physicist. Still, the way he wrote, it's not much difficult for a guy like me to comprehend the book.
Pete
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This must be the 10th time I have re-read this book. I met the author way back when I was a kid and have always been fascinated with solving the quantum mysteries and physics. This book and others from Gribbin were exceedingly well written in language that didn't require a PhD. It was spellbinding and quite enjoyable to re-read.
Riju Ganguly
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amidst a plethora of books purportedly dealing with "explaining Quantum Theory to the layman" this book stands apart, as well as taller, by virtue of two qualities: -
1. It's really really well written, even by the high standards of popular science set by the luminaries, and remains deliciously readable even after more than three decades since its publication.
2. It's unapologetically forthcoming, and NEVER tries to dumb down things in an effort towards becoming more "accommodating" and "plebian",
Cassandra Kay Silva
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I really enjoy history, and if you are looking for a book that gives much about the history of the development of modern Quantum Mechanics this is a wonderful read. It also simplifies many principles to make it more accessible to non mathematical minds such as myself. Besides that I just kind of loved it and you might too.
Jafar
Mar 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cat
a) exists in a superimposed state of dead and alive
b) is dead in one universe, and alive in another
c) what cat? The cat doesn't even exist unless observed.

Read this book for mysteries of quantum physics.
E. G.

Bibliography
Index
Steve Cunningham
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made my head hurt. Or didn't make my head hurt. Or made my head hurt and not hurt simultaneously.
Drew
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
A highly readable and exciting account of a topic that I love.
Farhana
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
The writer was quite positive towards his attempt in explaining quantum theory. His approach was quite neat & clean , comprehensive . However , it made me sad in the end ~ ...more
Audra
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I first read this book when I was a freshman in college (a business major at the time). Until then, I had never given much thought to the sciences, but this book was so fascinating for me that it eventually lead to me changing my major. I thought the book was as easy of a read as physics can be. The author did a good job of making it understandable for the layperson. The concepts in here are so mind-boggling that it's often difficult to even begin to imagine them, but that's what makes the book ...more
Mekhala Pande
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gribbin is lucid and witty in explaining to the largely layman audience the principles of the strange and beautiful world of quantum mechanics.
Approaching the book from the perspective of philosophy, was fascinating as well. Schrodinger's cat is reminiscent of Jain philosophy and the working of quantum mechanics and buddhist thought have been compared and debated upon quite frequently.
Needless to say, this book really makes you think in abstract ways.
Greg
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best books I have read on Quantum Physics. It turns out to be a slow read, because it gives you examples, and then to fully understand the examples you find yourself working out the aspects of it. It is only about 250 pages, but it took me the better part of six months to get through. Awesome book!
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have an abusive relationship with physics, I love it but it doesn’t love me and that makes me sad. This was just too advanced for me and I never really got to grips with it. I understood parts of it but not enough to enjoy it. My one sided relationship with physics continues...
Waleed
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good book that provides a reasonably understandable introduction to quantum mechanics and its history.

There is a focus on providing a detailed account of the development of the theory, including a “de-idealisation” of the major figures who won Nobel prizes - for example, it is quickly stated that although Planck jumped to the idea of quantisation he did not do this for any reason other than mathematical convenience so the discovery was more an accident than anything else. Even Schroding
Peter Pinkney
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!!!
I said that I would read difficult books this year, but I meant things like Infinite Jest, or Finnegan’s Wake. This is way more difficult, but way more important and totally fascinating.
When I say difficult, I don’t mean difficult to read, I mean getting my head around the ideas, and the maths (which I don’t really understand), but who cares?? I just took it on face value that the maths is correct, and I went with the flow.
I’m more of a poetry reading, literature reading head in the cloud
Fanie Oosthuysen
While this book may be slightly dated (luckily physics do not move that fast) it is an amazing work with unparalleled explanatory powers laying bare one of the most difficult concepts of our time. I would give it all the stars. Whilst it started slow for me reiterating knowns I took months to get through the first quarter and only a day or two to finish it. If you are getting bombarded with new interpretations of quantum theory and misconceptions relating to that. This book allows you to travel ...more
Joseph Mirabelli
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As my parents are moving out and I'm packing all my old books, I'll be finding and rating ones that I have read a long time ago, and likely have mostly forgotten. Skimming this book as I boxed it up tonight, I remember understanding or being unsure about a few concepts; but for the most part, my memory of the book is of confused excitement of being introduced to some concepts, which other books have helped me understand better.
Seth Townsend
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly interesting and moderately approachable for someone with zero experience on the subject. Although it takes a lot of initial historical and scientific background from Gribben, it prepares you to really understand in a meaningful way the basics of the quantum world.
When I truly understood some of the underlying ideas here (after re-reading a few sections multiple times) I was truly amazed and was glad to have read this search into the Schrodinger’s Cat problem.
Chris Zedick
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Definitely a good explanation of the quantum world. That said, there are also a number of intriguing philosophical questions that arise throughout the book that make any confusion with respect to the physics/math aspects worth the struggle. Overall, a good, quick read.
Emily Lo
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, sci-fi
Ok, this is an EXCELLENT book. Very clearly written, engaging, and so interesting! I didn't understand all of it (tbh I was lost near the end). I'm so relieved I'm done with this book because I literally started it almost a year ago.
Richard
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty decent book about quantum physics, since it's the first one I read about the topic I musty say that it was really interesting; nonetheless, the last concepts were quite hard to grasp.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please combine these editions 5 24 Dec 08, 2019 03:15AM

• Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics By Its Most Brilliant Teacher
  • Black Holes & Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy
  • The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos
  • Big Bang: The Origin of the Universe
  • Relativity: The Special and the General Theory
  • Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension
  • A Brief History of Time
  • Einstein's Universe
  • Parallel Worlds: A Journey through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos
  • Chaos: Making a New Science
  • About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution
  • The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science and What Comes Next
  • Three Roads To Quantum Gravity
  • Cosmos
  • Six Not-So-Easy Pieces: Einstein's Relativity, Symmetry, and Space-Time
  • The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe
  • The First Three Minutes: A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe
  • Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality
John R. Gribbin is a British science writer, an astrophysicist, and a visiting fellow in astronomy at the University of Sussex. The topical range of his prolific writings includes quantum physics, biographies of famous scientists, human evolution, the origins of the universe, climate change and global warming. His also writes science fiction.

John Gribbin graduated with his bachelor's degree in phy

Schrödinger's Cat (2 books)
  • Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality: Solving the Quantum Mysteries

News & Interviews

“In the world of the very small, where particle and wave aspects of reality are equally significant, things do not behave in any way that we can understand from our experience of the everyday world...all pictures are false, and there is no physical analogy we can make to understand what goes on inside atoms. Atoms behave like atoms, nothing else.” 38 likes
“...the best things in science are both beautiful and simple, a fact that all too many teacher conceal from their students, by accident or design.” 19 likes