Start by marking “When the Library Lights Go Out ” as Want to Read:
When the Library Lights Go Out

When the Library Lights Go Out

CLOSED may mean "closed" to you. But for three story-hour puppets, CLOSED means "open for adventure."
At first there are only Rabbit and Lion. Hermit Crab is missing. Where can she be in the library darkness?
Find out for yourself when - magically - only puppets are up and about.
Published October 1st 2005 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books (first published September 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about When the Library Lights Go Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Library Lights Go Out

Start your review of When the Library Lights Go Out
Rain Misoa
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children and anyone who loves reading books that take place at library!
Recommended to Rain by: Library and Mommy
Shelves: childrens-books
What an adorable little book this is. Whenever I find a book that has to do with a library or books in general, I always get really excited and must read it right away! So when my mother went to the library with me and found this on the shelf, she knew she had to show me. She thought I would really love to read this and she was not wrong. I am quite glad she showed me this book because it was such a cute story. After all, who wouldn't want to read a story about two friends going on an adventure ...more
Eva Marie
Aug 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Eva Marie by: library
Shelves: julias-books
3.5 - I really like books about the library and/or reading. Julia has never seemed especially partial to them but she's always humored me. This may have changed that.
The illustrations are very fun which made Julia really get into each page. We even had to backtrack more time than I remember for her to check out pictures on a page we already had read.
She absolutely adores the thought that after the library closes these toys come to life. This has been done in others areas, other books, movies,
Heidi-Marie
I love this book. I love the characters, the pictures, the story, and (of course!) the setting! What is not so great as that this book is too long for any storytime except perhaps school-age. No school-age ones in mind until at least summer (if that), so I'll have to set this aside. But it is really cute. ...more
Candice
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As a retired librarian, I like to read books about libraries. This story was nothing special, although the illustrations were excellent. It's the story of three storytime puppets who come alive after the library is closed. Lion and Rabbit go on an adventure to find the missing Hermit Crab. They find a map of the library, pack a picnic, and use their imaginations to reunite with their friend. ...more
Candace
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two puppets, Lion and Rabbit, go searching for their friend, Hermit Crab, after the library closes and the lights go out. They pack a picnic, find a map, and make an adventure of the search. Soon the three friends are united and they have their picnic.

The illustrations are what make this picture book stand out. I read it with a first grader and he referred the longer paragraphs to me to read. I feel the story held his attention. Some of the rhyming words were difficult for him to sound out. I f
Cecilia
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was a hot mess.
Amy (Lost in a Good Book)
This review was published on Lost in a Good Book

From the cover it had the promise of a cute little adventure in the library after hours and while there is a semblance of adventure, it doesn’t quite hit the mark. First of all, it’s a long book. Not overly wordy on each page but it is a long story. This is perpetuated by the fact that it’s a while before anything happens.

I found I couldn’t engage with the story of Rabbit and Lion looking for their friend. It was either meant to be adventurous or h
Metthea Maddern
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kidlit
This book has a promising premise that unfortunately does not deliver. I gave it two stars because the pictures are whimsical and sweet, however they are not enough to make up for the poorly written story. If you are looking for a book about after hours in a library, you'd be much better off with Bats at the Library by Brian Lies. ...more
Meg McGregor
May 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A very cute idea for a book that unfortunately that does not deliver much to the reader.

I really wish I could have liked it better but it quite frankly did not hold my little one's attention or my own, for that matter.
Julie Failla Earhart
It’s night time at the library. All the people have gone home, and it’s very, very quite. Well, except for Lion’s snoring.

Rabbit can’t sleep; he wants to go an adventure! Lion won’t wake up. He digs deeper in puppet box, looking for Hermit Crab. He wants Hermit Crab to tell him a “get-sleepy story.” But he can’t find Hermit Crab.

Rabbit looks all over the Library, but he can’t find Hermit Crab. He makes enough noise to wake up Lion. By now, Rabbit knows that Hermit Crab is G-O-N-E or L-O-S-T! L
Tori
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
At night, when the library is closed, a pair of puppets sneak out of their toy box and go searching for their missing puppet friend. It's an adventure! What wonders await them?
I could see this story being a lovely pick for a lower elementary school storytime. I would need to edit it down to use it with my pre-k group. However, I think it's the perfect title to adapt to a puppet show, since it's about puppets anyway.
Cheryl
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Too long and convoluted for the audience. Too saccharine. And boring for me. Not even sure what the library setting had to do with anything, except to get librarians to buy the book. And since when do plushies eat food? (And for that matter, why is the trash not emptied?)
Daniel Lawson
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun book about puppets in the library after hours, I wish it had a better meter for reading out loud, it moves to a poetry style in a couple spots but doesn't hold to it. This makes it a little awkward reading to my kid but otherwise it's good. ...more
Cara
Cute.
Rabbit can't sleep after the library closed, but when she notices that Hermit Crab is missing, she gets Lion to come with her to find their friend.
Kati Stafford
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
My preschoolers didn’t think much of it, but I thought it was pretty cute.
Jamie
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What happens when everyone leaves the library and the puppets and animals are left alone? Read this to Northside Key kids today for a stuffed animal sleepover at the library.
Eileen
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Use for Sleepover Program
Brittany
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't read this one to baby, but husband did. He said it was a bit weird and odd to read. ...more
Karla Winick-Ford
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A little long for preschoolers and kindergarten....

not a bad story

creative

well illustrated
Mellanie C
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweetly whimsical.
Library Lady Terri
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I always feel like there is so much to explore in this book that it really needs a lap time read to dive into all of the pieces of the story.
Laurie
May 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Libby
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I just didn't really like this book. My kids seemed to, which is why it gets a three, but it just didn't click for me--I think the imaginary world of the book didn't match up with what I thought it would be based on the title. The title seemed to promise a world where life is regularly exciting inside the library after all the people leave, but instead it was a one-time foray out of the puppet box for three puppets. Cute enough, but just not for me.

We'll see if it gets requested for multiple rer
Linda
I love stories set in libraries - where the adventures and dreams of an author can be discovered and dreamt and ..... well, I do love a library.

But somehow, this story of two friends looking for their Hermit Crab mate just didn't quite explode with any of that. It missed the mark - perhaps it was just too wordy. My 8 year old lost interest on page 6 and so, alas, did I.
Tasneem  Zafer
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
An adventure of a bouncy rabbit and a lazy lion puppets looking for their friend in the library when the lights go off. I couldn't read the story till the end it's really boring!!!
Beautiful illustrations though!!
Illustrators ROCK man!! they can magically turn a boring story into a beautifu children's picture book.. Standing ovation to great illustrators all over the world!
Rachel
Oct 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story about the adventures of 2 puppets who venture out into the library at night. They use a map and think that the library has a park, bridge, and lake.

This was not the most successful read-aloud book. But, it's a fun one for the students to pick up.
Edna
What do library puppets do in the middle of the night after the doors close? Rabbit wakes up Lion to search for their friend, Hermit Crab who must be lost!

The text and story is simple and will appeal to young children; the problem is that it's a bit long.
Tom Franklin
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it
McDonald's story fell flat for me. The potential was there but between the lack of action and the awkward writing, it didn't work

Kate Tillotson's artwork, however, saved this book. Her illustrations are light-hearted, engaging and fun.
Dolly
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book about what goes on at the library when all the people go home for the night. It's a sweet story with great illustrations and we enjoyed reading it toghether (especially since we read it at the library!) ...more
Brenda Pritchard
preschool story times; narrative skills, print awareness;

This book is about story time puppets who have an adventure in the library when the library closes. GREAT for small children beginning to experience the library.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Library Lion
  • Alfie: (The Turtle That Disappeared)
  • I Took My Frog to the Library
  • Maisy Goes to the Library
  • Peppa Pig and the Library Visit
  • Beatrice Doesn't Want To
  • Mr. Wiggle's Library
  • If You Ever Want to Bring a Circus to the Library, Don't!
  • Carlo and the Really Nice Librarian
  • The Youngest Marcher: The Story of Audrey Faye Hendricks, a Young Civil Rights Activist
  • We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands
  • Turtle Splash!: Countdown at the Pond
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an

News & Interviews