Start by marking “The Erection Set” as Want to Read:
The Erection Set

The Erection Set

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  188 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The Erection Set introduces Mickey Spillane's greatest hero yet--Dogeron Kelly, a walking bomb of a man who explodes into block-busting action at the drop of a gun or a lift of a skirt as he goes after a multi-million-dollar mob with vengeance on his mind and burning hate in his heart.
Published May 1st 1972 by Signet (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Erection Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Erection Set

Karl
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I recall that was Mickey Spillane's wife on the dust jacket cover.,
Jim
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a stand alone book, not Mike Hammer or Tiger Mann series - which means I liked it better than most. It's also based on a short story, "The Bastard Bannerman" which can be found in The Tough Guys, a collection of 3 short stories.

Spillane changed all the names & expanded the short story by tossing in number of different threads - basically everything he could think of plus the kitchen sink. There's a European connection, a movie, a dying company, rotten family, lost love(s), renewed fr
Victoria Mixon
Sep 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
God knows, I tried.

I looked at the title and thought, "A sense of humor!" And I looked at the earnest early-twenties young woman holding that idiotic pose for the camera and thought, "It was the sixties--sexism was king." So when multiple references to Hefner's exploitation of very young women cropped up throughout the novel, I thought, "Yeah, Spillane knew what it really was."

And the truth is, Spillane did know: he knew how to write, he knew how to target his audience, he knew how to give his
Derek Hansen
Feb 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
I had to rate this 1 star for literature's sake, but if you're intelligent enough to understand the difference between objectively good writing and objectively bad writing (think James Joyce vs Twilight), this book is extremely entertaining for all the wrong reasons.
Mickey Spillane is the most ham-handed, awkward, and arrogant person to ever put words onto a piece of paper. Now, that alone is not an insult, more of an explanation of "style" really. Because he is so out of touch with the concepts
Du4
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
I bought this book coz it had a nekkid lady on the cover and it was only 50 cents at the half-price bookstore. It turned out to be my favorite Mickey Spillane novel. Just as hard boiled as Mike Hammer and Tiger Mann, but not nearly as overwrought. More of a coolness to it than the pulp trash that made Spillane famous. And there's lots of fucking.
B.E.
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This book seems like Mickey might've been tasked to write a novel for publication to meet demand from the over-sexed, tawdry industry back in 1972, so he took his most excellent novel 'The Deep' (1961), twisted it into something nasty and demeaning, and regurgitated it into this book. Lesson learned. No more Spillane's from the '70s or later for me. =o\
Ryan
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: justok
The main character in this story is possibly the most macho man I have ever read about. His name is Dogeron Kelly (called "Dog" even though he isn't black) and he is fast with a gun, a lady killer, and just plain ready for anything. He can kill three armed killers without a problem. He cures a woman suffering the psychological side affects of rape...with his penis. And his most amazing feat is his ability to get free sex from a hooker, because she wants him so bad.

This all seems like the set up
Larry Hall
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was curious about Spillane as I have heard of but never really read any of his work. Well I guess I got that off my list.
Lots of male sexual fantasy with an obsession for matching pubic hair. Pretty good story line but sprinkled with to much macho chest pounding and not enough character development. It was all about him I guess.
Exactly what I expected from this book. You can, judge a book by its cover, in this case.
Charles Spencer
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book written by Mickey Spillane I ever read, a long time ago, and I think it still holds up today. There are a few things that make this novel seriously dated, but its themes and pure, hard boiled attitude can still be seen from the works of Andrew Vachss (another favorite author I need to look up here!) to the graphic novel noir of Frank Miller's SIN CITY. With a minimum of polishing and updating in all the right places, in fact, this would make a powerhouse of a cinematic thr ...more
Dave
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-have
From the seductive cover featuring wife #2 (Sherri) to the pounding climax, this book is all-out tough guy action through and through. Could Spillane create a character tougher and nastier than Hammer?

Maybe. Dogeron Kelly is the meanest, toughest hombre in town. And he's back in NYC after twenty years away. And, as the taxi driver notes sagely, he's loaded for bear. He's ready for action whether its with his fists or with a woman.

It's the sixties or perhaps early seventies and apartments are jus
  • Lady, Go Die!
  • The Black Angel
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Ambushers (Matt Helm, #6)
  • The Blackbird (Alan Grofield, #3)
  • The Tower
  • The Night Watcher (Night #2)
  • The Right Madness
  • More Tales of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #2)
  • Suicide Hill (Lloyd Hopkins, #3)
Mickey Spillane was one of the world's most popular mystery writers. His specialty was tight-fisted, sadistic revenge stories, often featuring his alcoholic gumshoe Mike Hammer and a cast of evildoers who launder money or spout the Communist Party line.

His writing style was characterized by short words, lightning transitions, gruff sex and violent endings. It was once tallied that he offed 58 peop
More about Mickey Spillane...